Reviews
Efficacy
54%
Based on All Available Studies
Strength of Evidence
Note: Benzoyl peroxide clears the skin completely when applied correctly.
Topical Antibacterial
Side Effects
Low-Medium
Acne.org’s Real World Take
It’s been a staple of acne treatment for decades for a reason. When used properly it can completely clear the skin. It is widely available and affordable. Comes with side effects for the first few weeks and can bleach fabric.
How to Get It
This is an over-the-counter treatment. Here are some places you can find it online.
Read All About Benzoyl Peroxide

Used Benzoyl Peroxide? Rate It:

Choose from 1 to 5 stars
May 13, 2024
Formula change?
Acne.org no longer works. Did they change the formula? And where is Dan? He use to upload videos years ago helping us now there is no communication via social media platforms i really hope they get bck on track as this was the best product on the market… in the days of tik tok they can make so much money advertising but plz go back to the old formula
May 4, 2024
Acne.org product no longer works
Acne.org has changed the formula. It no longer works. It smells, feels and looks different from their products from years ago. What used to work amazingly well is now nothing more than a white paste.
This Was Helpful

1 user(s) found this helpful

April 21, 2024
really bad experience
Dry skin and increase acne over long-term
April 11, 2024
Product used:
Irritating and drying, moisturizer didn't help
All it did was dry up and irritate my skin even though I used it with moisturizer. Using it for a longer period, my skin just got worse. I have severe acne.
March 6, 2024
Simply the best!!
This has been a holy grail product for me since I started using it in 2020. As an adult acne sufferer in my 40s this has been the only line that keeps my skin consistently clear. I admit m, there are times when I get influenced by the internet to try a new product and when I do and have a breakout I come back to Acne.org and my skin is right again. Bottom line, this is the o lu skincare you need!
February 28, 2024
Product used:
What happened to Dr. Sheffield's Zit Acne Cream?
Dr. Sheffields Zit Acne Cream with Benzoyl Peroxide was the best and now I can no longer find it. I wonder where it went. It worked better than anything else.
February 26, 2024
AMAZING PRODUCT
LOVE
January 12, 2024
Controls but doesn't cure
Very drying. Works at stopping more breakouts but did not completely remove it for despite months of use. Successfully manages acne but does not clear it.
December 24, 2023
Needs time for results, at least 4 months
You have to stick with this product for it to work. Your face will be red and dry for a few months at least before you see any improvement. I have sensitive skin and my skin was noticeably red when starting this. I ignored the questions about it from colleagues and stuck with it. My skin is still dry, but I get a lot less breakouts. I noticed if I target a new zone it goes spotty, but then clears up. Oil-free moisturiser is the key and drinking lots of water to hydrate the skin. I am hoping eventually my skin will stop being as dry, it's no longer red. I've been using it for 6 months.
October 30, 2023
Worth a Try
I only give BP a 4/5 because sometimes BP is like magic while other times I wonder if it's a curse. I have gotten clear skin from BP but the line between dry and dry af is a constant battle. It's a lot more active of a fix than other treatments might be. I think it's something I'll always keep in for its benefits such as: making my blind pimples and others go away much faster, gentle exfoliation and anti bacterial properties. The side effects I experience are dryness of varying levels. Sometimes the dryness is enough that it gives me smile lines where others it's a minor annoyance that's not visible. If you have painful pimples, inflammation or workout I say definitely give BP a try.

Finding a Doctor

The right dermatologist can make a big difference to your patient experience and the success of your acne treatment plan. Here are the steps to find a dermatologist who is a good fit:

1. Use the search feature on the American Academy of Dermatology website to look for board-certified dermatologists in your area, and filter the search results for doctors with a special interest in treating acne.
  2. Read online patient reviews of any dermatologists you are considering and ask people you know whether they have any experience with these dermatologists.
  3. Do your research and go to your first appointment with questions prepared.
  4. Listen to what your gut feeling tells you once you see a dermatologist in person. If you are not completely comfortable, try a different dermatologist.

Finding a Doctor

Only a select few plastic surgeons specialize in acne scar revision surgery. Be certain to find a provider who specializes in acne scar repair and who is passionate and experienced in this area.

Be sure to:

• Look at before and after photos, the more the better, especially patients with similar scarring to your own.
  • Be realistic about results. Look for improvement, not a cure.

Questions to ask a potential scar revision specialist:

• Are you board certified? Be certain that they are board certified.
  • How long have you been performing these procedures? Normally, the more experience the better, however, some younger surgeons may be more on top of the latest procedures.
  • Can I speak to some of your other patients? Ask for references for several patients who had similar scarring and speak to them about the process and their satisfaction with results.

Red flags:

• Their story changes: As you discuss different treatment options, if they tend to change their mind easily, or agree with whatever you say, consider this a red flag. A confident, experienced surgeon will possess strong, unwavering opinions.
  • Your gut tells you "no": Trust your gut. If you just don't feel that the doctor is the right fit, trust that and move on. On the other hand, if you feel they are the perfect specialist for you, trust that feeling.