Reviews
Efficacy
54%
Based on All Available Studies
Strength of Evidence
Note: Benzoyl peroxide clears the skin completely when applied correctly.
Topical Antibacterial
Side Effects
Low-Medium
Acne.org’s Real World Take
It’s been a staple of acne treatment for decades for a reason. When used properly it can completely clear the skin and it is widely available and affordable. Comes with annoying side effects for the first few weeks and can bleach fabric.
How to Get It
This is an over-the-counter treatment. Here are some places you can find it online.
Read All About Benzoyl Peroxide

Awful

Didn’t work at all

February 1, 2021
Topical Antibacterial
I've always bought this but not anymore

On August 2020 I bought this as I always have as this is the only 2.5%  benzoyl peroxide that I can find but this year they must have changed their formulation for a cheaper alternative or I must have gotten a defective one because when I used it, it burned my face really bad. I thought I probably just need to put moisturizer first but it didn't help. My face turned red the next day and very itchy. It was like this for two days, it was like a chemical burn. I hope you read this and bring back the previous formulation. Thanks!

3 user(s) found this helpful

September 5, 2020
Burnt my face

I only used it for a week and it burnt my skin. Now I’m dealing with unnecessary hyperpigmentation. I don’t recommend.

August 17, 2020
would NOT recommend

I first started using this regimen in 2016 and it got rid of all my acne, this was the first product that actually worked. I don’t have acne anymore but I would get the occasional pimple or two so I decided to purchase this regimen again ( worst mistake of my life). i’ve been using this product for a month now and my skin is horrible, I went from clear skin to horrible painful acne from using this product. I have never had this type of acne before it feels like cystic acne now and my skin was perfectly fine before I started using this. They must have changed the formula or added new things to this regimen because it is not the same and it also bleached my pillow cases from grey to orange. I do not recommend buying this, it will damage your skin and cause painful acne.

2 user(s) found this helpful

September 7, 2020

I love this product and it has completely cleared my skin. I’m just curious as to why you used it if your skin was fine. This product is very strong so I wouldn’t even recommend for light acne.

August 12, 2020
Do Not Buy

DO NOT BUY! I have been using the product for a while and this is my 3rd time buying, first two times i have received great results, however, this last batch received in June feels like i am going backwards, i believe they have changed the ingredients... this one is now bleaching my bedding to the point i have to bin them, the previous batches didn’t.  DO NOT BUY - the company will not give me a refund either - returning the product from Uk to Us will probably cost me more money and time! Which it isn’t worth.

1 user(s) found this helpful

July 5, 2020
Product used: The Regimen
my skin seems to have an allergic reaction

Hello. I was actually really looking forward to using the regimen, and also expectet great results, but now i regret even buying it.

I was on day 14 of the 3 step regimen (cleanser, treatment, moistrizer) and was using the products according to the instructions. (I didn't use any other products for the last two weeks) I woke up this morning with my skin feeling extremely itchy and red. It looks like got a sunburn all over my face. I am not sure, but I suspect my skin reacted allerigic to one of the products, probaby the benzoyl peroxide?

Obviously I won't be using it again, which is really upsetting since I spent quite a lot of money on the skincare products.

April 21, 2020
DO NOT USE

the worst products which have completely ruined my face. I have been using the cleanser and moisturizer everyday for about 2.5 weeks now and I have cystic acne all over. Before I would break out mainly on my chin and maybe a pimple a week. I have like 5 big bumps everywhere. Its going to take me a long time to clear these scars now! BEWARE

April 10, 2020
Do not use this regimen

DO NOT USE THIS REGIMEN!!!

If I could rate this 0 stars I would, but it has to get 1.

I have been struggling with acne for years and I tried this regimen a couple years ago. It didn't really work because I would pick at my skin. I decided to pick up this regimen again a couple weeks ago because my face had been doing better but it wasn't completely clear yet. My face automatically started getting worse. I was breaking out with cystic pimples and so many white heads. I assumed this was my skin getting used to the products again and that it would get worse before it got better. Then after it started to get really bad after a month, I looked at the ingredients. There are so many harsh chemicals, not to mention alcohol and fragrance in these products that should NOT be going on your skin.

Not only did the regimen severely break me out, my skin was peeling and flaking off. I understand this is common for people and you have to manage how much you use the products and ease them into your routine. I did start out small with the use of benzoyl peroxide (only at night) but i would wake up with huge pimples with my skin peeling off around it. This benzoyl peroxide is 2.5% too, which is crazy it would have such a harsh reaction. I have been using 5% benzoyl peroxide for most of my life and it has never made my skin so dry.

Moral of the story: this regimen has way too many chemicals and is way too harsh on your skin. If you're really trying to clear your acne, do your research and focus on the ingredients that are in your products. They are only telling you to strictly stick to this regimen so you keep buying their products.

March 4, 2020
ew

just NO

broke out worst for the whole trial

January 7, 2020
Topical Antibacterial
Did they change the formulation?

I used these products over many years but after ordering a new BP treatment in September, I get a horrible red rash after a few hours of putting it on my face.  Doesn't make sense.   Wonder what's causing this.

Finding a Doctor

The right dermatologist can make a big difference to your patient experience and the success of your acne treatment plan. Here are the steps to find a dermatologist who is a good fit:

1. Use the search feature on the American Academy of Dermatology website to look for board-certified dermatologists in your area, and filter the search results for doctors with a special interest in treating acne.
  2. Read online patient reviews of any dermatologists you are considering and ask people you know whether they have any experience with these dermatologists.
  3. Do your research and go to your first appointment with questions prepared.
  4. Listen to what your gut feeling tells you once you see a dermatologist in person. If you are not completely comfortable, try a different dermatologist.

Finding a Doctor

Only a select few plastic surgeons specialize in acne scar revision surgery. Be certain to find a provider who specializes in acne scar repair and who is passionate and experienced in this area.

Be sure to:

• Look at before and after photos, the more the better, especially patients with similar scarring to your own.
  • Be realistic about results. Look for improvement, not a cure.

Questions to ask a potential scar revision specialist:

• Are you board certified? Be certain that they are board certified.
  • How long have you been performing these procedures? Normally, the more experience the better, however, some younger surgeons may be more on top of the latest procedures.
  • Can I speak to some of your other patients? Ask for references for several patients who had similar scarring and speak to them about the process and their satisfaction with results.

Red flags:

• Their story changes: As you discuss different treatment options, if they tend to change their mind easily, or agree with whatever you say, consider this a red flag. A confident, experienced surgeon will possess strong, unwavering opinions.
  • Your gut tells you "no": Trust your gut. If you just don't feel that the doctor is the right fit, trust that and move on. On the other hand, if you feel they are the perfect specialist for you, trust that feeling.