Solodyn : Oral Antibiotic

Reviews
3.2
354 Reviews

Minocycline hydrochloride.

Lactose monohydrate NF, hypromellose type 2910 USP, magnesium stearate NF, colloidal silicon dioxide NF, and carnauba wax NF.

The 45 mg tablets also contain:
Lactose monohydrate NF, hypromellose type 2910 USP, titanium dioxide USP, triacetin USP, and iron oxide black JPE. The 65 mg tablets also contain Opadry II Blue which contains: hypromellose type 2910 USP, lactose monohydrate NF, FD&C Blue #1, polyethylene glycol 3350 NF, FD&C Blue #2, titanium dioxide USP, triacetin USP, and D&C Yellow #10.

90 mg tablets also contain:
Hypromellose type 2910 USP, lactose monohydrate NF, titanium dioxide USP, iron oxide yellow NF, polyethylene glycol 3350 NF, and triacetin USP.

115 mg tablets also contain:
Hypromellose type 2910 USP, lactose monohydrate NF, D&C Yellow #10, triacetin USP, FD&C Blue #1, titanium dioxide USP, and FD&C Blue #2.

135 mg tablets also contain:
Hypromellose type 2910 USP, lactose monohydrate NF, titanium dioxide USP, polyethylene glycol 3350 NF, iron oxide red NF, and triacetin USP.

24.6%
23.2%
19.2%
16.7%
16.4%

Used Solodyn : Oral Antibiotic? Rate It:

Choose from 1 to 5 stars
November 30, 2012

Pros:

I have been using this for 3 months not and I love it...I tried so many different things before and always had side effects but with this.

I finaly found something that works for me, I'm so much happier now!
November 26, 2012

Pros:

Works well, no side effects

Cons:

Can be expensive

Solodyn worked great for me. I used it for 6 months (along with Veltin). I didn't get any side effects with it like I did with Doxycycline (the doxy made me really nauseous and I completely lost my appetite and would get light headed). My insurance covered it with a $20 copay. I was scared to use it after reading some of the reviews on here... But it worked for me! My acne cleared up on my face and body very quickly. I guess you just have to try it and see, everyone is different. I've been off it for 2 weeks now and so far so good!
October 28, 2012

Pros:

None

Cons:

Made teeth very brittle Caused chest pain

My dermatologist prescribed me Solodyn along with Aczone and another topical cream to treat my acne. I initially noticed my teeth were becoming brittle but I continued with the product anyways hoping it would help with my acne. It wasn't until I started waking up with chest pain for several days that I stopped altogether. I would be cautious in taking this medication since it seems there hasn't been a lot of research done as far what long term effects it can cause.
October 18, 2012

Pros:

inexpensive

Cons:

horrible headaches (migraines)

Solodyn unfortunately gave me terrible headaches to the point where I had to discontinue my prescription. My dermatologist recommended this product along with a topical gel. I understand how important it is to target acne from both inside and out but this product did not do much for my skin. I am going to go the all natural route and trying supplementing any prescription pills with natural vitamins.
August 28, 2012

Pros:

Clear skin!

Cons:

Not an immediate fix Tiredness Initial breakout

So I grew up with clear skin. I went through high school, and even my first year of college, with just the occasional zit here and there. But when I turned 20 that all changed. I would usually get a zit or two right before my period, but now I was getting five or six HUGE zits. They hurt really bad, and would last practically the entire month. I let it go on for too long, because I was in denial about actually having acne. Finally I went to the dermatologist, and he said I had cystic acne. He prescribed me Solodyn (80mg). I started taking the pill and I noticed that I couldn't get enough sleep. I was always tired! Also, the initial breakout was TERRIBLE. There were lots of tears, and I thought it was 100x worse and never going to get better. My advice is to just get through the few months of horrible skin, because the results are magical! After my third month of using this pill I suddenly had clear skin! I'm on month four now, and I'm slowly getting off of this antibiotic. I haven't had a zit in a whole month! I didn't even get one around my period! I'm so excited that it worked. It will work for you too, just give it the full three months.
August 22, 2012

Pros:

None

Cons:

Broke out in a rash after 3 weeks of taking it Yeast Infections Extremely dry lips and eye lids Itching Didn't clear acne at all

Im not going to say this medication doesn't work but it did not work for me. I saw no improvement and my skin was severely dry and itchy. After 3 weeks of taking it I broke out in a rash on my chin. initially when starting the medicine I was developing a yeast infection and had severe vaginal itching. That did subside but the rest of the side effects started and I discontinued the medication.
AshleyLauren
August 6, 2012

Pros:

Absolutely Nothing

Cons:

Acne is much worse, dizziness, nausea

I am 26 and have never had acne, maybe a bump here or there around the time of my period. I started taking birth control and was on it for a little over a year, but had to stop since it was making my migraines much worse. After I stopped taking BC, I developed acne for the first time. It's mostly only on my chin. I have been dealing with this for over a year and a half and I was finally prescribed Solodyn 115mg. It has been nothing but a nightmare. First off, my acne started to get worse, and I figured it would be a "gets worse before it gets better" deal, but it just continued to get worse and worse! 4 months later, my acne is the worst it's ever been, incredibly painful, I get really lightheaded from the medication and sometimes nauseous. I have even had to get multiple cortisone shots in my face while on Solodyn because the acne is just so bad. I am going off of it today and just very disappointed in this medication. I do not recommend this to anyone.
August 6, 2012

Pros:

Acne gets better

Cons:

At first, acne gets worse Must take with food

I have only been taking this for like 2 weeks, but I think I like it. It made my acne worse at first, but I think it's just speeding up my existing acne. It is clearing now though. the first day I took it I got a stomach ache, but I realized you should take it half way through dinner. The pill will be surrounded by food. I also use Veltin Gel. I have been using it for 7 months and it recently stopped working, not that it did much anyway.
July 13, 2012

Pros:

clear, healthy skin; smooth complexion

Cons:

Drowsy

I used to have perfect skin, never had to wear makeup ever. Recently my periods got out of hand and so I went to ask about birth control. Well the birth control I was taking (oral/pills) ignited acne on my forehead. It was nowhere else BUT MY FOREHEAD. And it was disgusting too! They were nodules, cysts, whiteheads, everything you could think of and it hurt so bad! So like anyone else, I went to the dermatologist. This dermatologist that my parents recommended to me gave me a topical gel called Atralin. I was still taking my birth control and using this gel as well. It sort of got rid of it but it was still hurting. It was like every zit that went away, TWO or THREE more formed where it was. It was embarrassing. I tried covering it up with makeup, but that just made it so much worse! :( So my boyfriend recommended his dermatologist to me cause he used to have severe acne (he was a accutane user and his skin has no problems now, ever! He has beautiful skin!!) and so I went to her. Dr. Toni Smith told me to quit using Atralin and she gave me Finacea ( another topical gel) as well as 80mg samples and a prescription to Solodyn. She told me the Finacea gel will smooth out my complexion and get rid of acne scarring. The Solodyn is like Accutane, it stops bacteria in its tracks the moment you use it. I started using Solodyn 3 weeks ago and I saw a difference in just 3 days. NO JOKE. I also read some reviews on this website about solodyn and I was so scared to take it, but I haven't had one side effect besides feeling sleepy in the middle of the day, but that is nothing. I LOVE THIS STUFF! :) Don't be afraid to take Solodyn! It really turned my life around. My boyfriend compliments my skin all of the time now and I don't have to wear make up anymore! none!! I love my skin!
May 27, 2012

Pros:

Cleared up my face gradually Got tan quicker

Cons:

Took a while to kick in Once I got off it my face got worse Yeast infections

Started taking this in June last year, 115mg a day, didn't see any results at first, a month into it started taking 135mg, no initial breakout or anything. Each month my face got more and more clear and by September October my face was basically spotless. In December my dermatologist suggested I go off of it to see if my face got better, it was great and flawless for about a month but then it got a lot worse which was disappointing. Since then I have tried other medications but none have worked as well as solodyn but it was discouraging that the effects did not last once you stop taking it.