Reviews
52%
Based on All Available Studies
Strength of Evidence
Topical Anti-inflammatory
Side Effects
Low-Medium
Acne.org’s Real World Take
An anti-inflammatory that takes weeks or months to kick in, so you’ll need patience. Provides modest benefit in some users. It’s never hit the big time in acne treatment. But it’s an interesting way to target acne on a purely inflammation level.
How to Get It
Have a dermatologist? Make an appointment to get this medication. Don't have a dermatologist? See The American Academy of Dermatology Physician Database to find one.
Read All About Dapsone (Aczone®)
40.3%
33.8%
13%
5.2%
7.8%

Used Dapsone (Aczone®)? Rate It:

Choose from 1 to 5 stars
November 13, 2016
Removed my stubborn cystic acne
I'm a 19-year-old female who's had acne since I was 12 and this product is what finally worked for me. I've tried pretty much everything; ProActive, Epiduo, antibiotics, Tazorac, and countless scrubs, creams, -'d gels. My acne was very stubborn severe cystic acne and in a matter of about a month of using every morning with PanOxyl and CereVe moisturizer, it's gone down to only a few bumps if any. I still have large pores, scars, and black heads, but the acne itself is gone! I still can hardly believe it when I look in the mirror. I would definitely give this a try at least.

12 user(s) found this helpful

September 20, 2016
Works in combination and correct dosage! Trial and Error!
First off, I never post reviews; but people need to know... Background--I started seeing acne when I was 12, it was never a big deal, throughout middle school and high school it would only flareup when I was stressed or about to get my period. Fast forward to 22 years old, I thought (for some odd reason) that by 21 y/o my face would magically be clear as long as I live...WRONG! I started nursing school and it wasn't so bad (1st semester), then I got into my 2nd semester and wow, I had never ever been so stressed in my life, because I was having terrible flareups of acne on my chin, cheeks, and forehead. I went to the derm in May of this year, he prescribed me to Aczone (mornings), Tazorac (evenings), Minocycline (Twice/day), and Spironolactone (Once/day). Let me tell you, I've never been so self conscious of my appearance in my life. In two short months my skin had gotten worse...like A LOT WORSE. I'd never seen it this bad, I found myself canceling plans with friends, putting on so much makeup just to go to the gym, and crying for hours and hours. Acne breaks you down. It is the devil. I emailed my derm and asked if this was normal (you know, the terrible binge period everyone warns you about), and he said it was, so I stuck it out until our next appt. which was end of July. My derm asked what I thought about the meds and I said my skin is 10x worse than it was before I came in here. He suggested I get all my labs and testing done so I can go on 6months of accutane. I remember crying that day too because of what my skin had gotten to. I read the reviews and I was so scared, I didn't want all of those TERRIBLE side effects! But I understand the struggle of acne, so I considered it for a good month, I weighed the pros and cons, and I researched the heck out of it. During that month my derm told me to increase my dosage on aczone from just mornings, to mornings and nights, continue regularly with tazorac and Mino and stop Spiro altogether. In that month I saw incredible changes, my skin cleared up within 2 weeks at most, I was shocked to say the least. I saw that with just increasing my dose of aczone, my skin started to get dry and flaky--YAY! This is how I knew it was working because this is what accutane does for you, but with scarier side effects. All you have to do is wash your face with washcloth to exfoliate the dead skin. Okay, so two months of simply increasing my dose and dropping the Spiro, my skin is almost completely clear. I do have break outs when I'm about to get my period but it's nothing like it used to be, it's literally like one little tiny one. Last week, I went to ulta to get color matched and the girl asked what my skin regimen was because she wanted to know how my skin looked so clear and soft! That's how I knew I should write a review. So please, please don't just go to the harshest thing for your body. Ask your derm to increase your dosage to see if that works. Good luck!

25 user(s) found this helpful

December 15, 2016
I'm glad Aczone helped you. Spiro also made me worse. It works great for people who actually have really high free T levels but otherwise I think it makes things problematic. I'm still recovering from the Spiro breakout a few weeks ago. Do you have any updates for us about Aczone? Is your skin sensitive at all?
May 30, 2017
Hi all! Aczone Update: It's been 1 year exactly since I had my first visit to the derm. My regimen has changed a little bit. I no longer take Minocycline--no reason why, just felt like I was taking a pill that did nothing for my skin. Anyway, I apply aczone twice/day and tazorac once/day. I still have occasional breakouts when I get my period but that's it. Also, I've read the reviews above mine about the price of aczone, I get mine for $35 and it lasts me 6 months. Also, it has nothing to do with my insurance, ask your derm for the coupon or go onto the aczone website for the coupon and take it to your pharmacy! Also, answering the question, yes my skin is sensitive but tazorac and aczone don't irritate it, they dry it out occasionally but I have oily skin so that's good for me!
August 19, 2016
kinda works--good for more mild acne
I've been on Aczone (dapsone) for over 2 months now and have been using it in tandem with neutrogina hydrating cleanser. I still have pretty bad acne, but this has lessened it some and doesn't dry me out too much (a problem I had with a lot of the other topical creams). Overall I really like it (I like that I can have it on without it looking like I have cream on + my face usually feels pretty nice after applying it), but I think it is one that you'll need something else as well if your acne (like mine) is really bad.

4 user(s) found this helpful

June 19, 2016
Didn't do anything
I used this for about 6 months. I have very stubborn acne and this didn't really do anything one way or the other. I used this in the morning with epiduo at night and I saw no improvement, but also nothing that worsened. I didn't even have an initial flare. Only gave it two stars because at least it didn't make me break out even more.

1 user(s) found this helpful

March 27, 2016
Great results long and short term!
I've been using this for close to two months now and I can't recommend it enough. Initially it helped a lot with redness and inflammation - making spots smaller and less noticeable immediately. It also really reduced the time it would take a spot to go away. Sometimes my cysts would last for weeks but with Aczone they'd be gone in 3-4 days. I had moderate acne when I started - mostly around chin, cheeks, and forehead but now I just have a few fading scars and NO active spots! If you get the coupons online and buy smaller tubes then it is definitely affordable! My skin is completely back to being clear and beautiful and it is so much softer! No drying out and it is even helping with the scars!

30 user(s) found this helpful

March 2, 2016
Losing effect?
Initially, my skin became very dry but I noticed immediate improvement. MY face was completely clear for a few weeks. I have completed my second month of aczone. I am using aczone alongside Diane 35. During my periods I do notice my cystic acne returns. Aczone is great for treating scarring (past and present). Although, I feel that Aczone is not as effective anymore as my breakouts have become more severe around my period (which could be due to the Diane 35) and the Aczone has little effect when I do breakout now.

5 user(s) found this helpful

February 11, 2016
Irritating for Sensitive Skin
I tried this product after reading the reviews online. Unfortunately, my skin is far too sensitive for this product. It is a great anti-inflammatory and anti-redness agent, which I noticed, but it irritated my skin, so it was inflamed all the time which caused clogged pores. I ended up having red, swollen, rash-like skin on my forehead for a few days after stopping. If you have sensitive skin, I would either recommend a different product of start very slow.

5 user(s) found this helpful

February 1, 2016
STICK IT OUT
I absolutely never post reviews for products, but I promised that if I found a way to clear up my skin, I would let people know. I am 21, female, did not have any serious problems with acne throughout high school, but begun to at 18. Cleared up my skin on tactuo, and with no idea why, begun breaking out in deep painful pimples at 21. All along my jawline, my cheeks, around my mouth, and occasional pimples on my forehead. My t-zone was generally clear but the sides of my face were awful. I believed it to be associated with a hormonal issue. Went on tri cyclen lo, and in the first 3 months my acne worsened. I always had at least 15 breakouts at a time. Once one cleared up, another would be there. Serious self esteem issues developed and I was willing to do anything to clear my skin. Skin begun to show clearing once I STOPPED tactuo (epiduo) entirely, which seemed to be causing my acne to worsen and heal slower, and started using aczone morning and night. All I can suggest, is to STICK IT OUT! The first 2-4 months will suck, I know. But you will be so glad you did, and I also recommend not plastering your face with new products in attempt to fix things. I spent thousands of dollars on products and treatments, and what ended up working was cerave face wash, lotion, and aczone + birth control. Aczone will not dry you out, and it WILL help. Absolutely no other products. Its been 4 months since I started that simple regimen, and aside from my PIH scars, I am clear. Good luck guys, and have hope!! Try to stick it out. Thats all I can say. Also found it helpful to allow aczone to sit on my face 20 minutes before applying moisturizer as it needs time to absorb.

23 user(s) found this helpful

December 30, 2015
Two Words: Live Saver
This product is absolutely amazing. This (plus birth control) cleared up my horrible acne in a few months! I use it every night, and I can immediately tell a difference in the morning that it has worked. Thank goodness this product exists. The only down side is that it is super expensive, but luckily medical insurance is a thing, and I find it completely worth the value. I also think a large reason my skin has improved so much (my dermatologist told me it has improved 75%), is because of the birth control, and I was taking Alesse. It did wonders! I had to switch to Mirvala but I'm hoping it'll stay the same. Seriously, give it a try!

8 user(s) found this helpful

December 7, 2015
My opinion of Aczone
The following statements are my experiences and my opinions. I was on Aczone at two different times over about a 3 year period. Aczone is a pretty good anti inflammatory. However, it does not do much in terms of preventing new acne from forming. Over time, it decreased in effectiveness. Also, it is very expensive without insurance. As a result, I switched to a more natural treatment that is far superior than any prescription.

9 user(s) found this helpful

May 22, 2016
I had the exact same experience!!! I agree 100 percent. Aczone is great for the first year, but it really stops being effective after that.
October 11, 2018
Can you please tell me what you are using that is more natural? I have had pimples but nothing like I have the past year. I finally went to a dermatologist who treated me with antibiotics. But as soon as I stop it comes back with a vengeance. I have decided to stay away from antibiotics because it is just not good for you to take like that. So I am on a search to fix it myself.
October 11, 2018

Finding a Doctor

The right dermatologist can make a big difference to your patient experience and the success of your acne treatment plan. Here are the steps to find a dermatologist who is a good fit:

1. Use the search feature on the American Academy of Dermatology website to look for board-certified dermatologists in your area, and filter the search results for doctors with a special interest in treating acne.
  2. Read online patient reviews of any dermatologists you are considering and ask people you know whether they have any experience with these dermatologists.
  3. Do your research and go to your first appointment with questions prepared.
  4. Listen to what your gut feeling tells you once you see a dermatologist in person. If you are not completely comfortable, try a different dermatologist.

Finding a Doctor

Only a select few plastic surgeons specialize in acne scar revision surgery. Be certain to find a provider who specializes in acne scar repair and who is passionate and experienced in this area.

Be sure to:

• Look at before and after photos, the more the better, especially patients with similar scarring to your own.
  • Be realistic about results. Look for improvement, not a cure.

Questions to ask a potential scar revision specialist:

• Are you board certified? Be certain that they are board certified.
  • How long have you been performing these procedures? Normally, the more experience the better, however, some younger surgeons may be more on top of the latest procedures.
  • Can I speak to some of your other patients? Ask for references for several patients who had similar scarring and speak to them about the process and their satisfaction with results.

Red flags:

• Their story changes: As you discuss different treatment options, if they tend to change their mind easily, or agree with whatever you say, consider this a red flag. A confident, experienced surgeon will possess strong, unwavering opinions.
  • Your gut tells you "no": Trust your gut. If you just don't feel that the doctor is the right fit, trust that and move on. On the other hand, if you feel they are the perfect specialist for you, trust that feeling.