Notifications
Clear all

The OIL CLEANSING METHOD (Highly Recommended!)

MemberMember
(@volatile_vixen)

Posted : 12/15/2007 9:38 pm

Is there any SCIENTIST or DOCTOR who says that rubbing your face with oil will help? Because I've tried DRYING my face and using lots of moisturizing products and there's no difference...my skin is still oily as hell.

I don't think you'll find any reputable doctor or scientist saying that, because it goes against what we know about sebaceous gland physiology.

I agree with you. So what CAN we do to get rid of some of the oil our skin produces? Because I've tried everything. Have you done anything that has helped you? I know you do those sebum gland tests.

MemberMember
(@crazygamar)

Posted : 12/15/2007 11:27 pm

Well I dont know how to actually get rid of the oil, like stop it from producing, I dont think thats possible....But you could always try a mattifying moisturizer. I used to use one back when I had oily skin, now that winters here though my skin is all dried out again so I dont have to worry about the shine or oil slick.

Anywho, if you dont know what they are, they're basically moisturizers with added ingredients that help to absorb excess oil and also help cut down on the shine. They always worked great for me :)

MemberMember
(@bryan)

Posted : 12/17/2007 1:32 am

I agree with you. So what CAN we do to get rid of some of the oil our skin produces? Because I've tried everything. Have you done anything that has helped you? I know you do those sebum gland tests.

Probably the best advice is that given by the previous poster, who recommended the so-called "mattifying" products. They don't actually affect the true production rate of sebum, but they'll at least help absorb it, giving the cosmetic appearance of less sebum.

You might want to see something I posted several days ago in this same forum, in which I discussed the various (limited) options we have in reducing the true production rate of sebum within our sebaceous glands. To really accomplish that at all requires a true drug or hormonal approach, and there just aren't very many options available for that. Accutane will certainly do it, at least temporarily, but everybody knows how nasty that stuff is. Estrogens and antiandrogens will do it, too, but those have to be used with great caution, especially in men. You could try experimenting with topical spironolactone, which is safe for both men and women, but it appears to be only marginally effective at reducing sebum, and requires a doctor's prescription. Certain other topical antiandrogens like 17a-propylmesterolone and RU58841 are considerably more effective than spiro, but they aren't commercially available yet. They're experimental drugs.

One thing you could try is to wash your face regularly with Nizoral Shampoo. In one small study from a few years ago, it appeared to reduce the size of sebaceous glands in the scalp by about 20% when used as a shampoo. It might even be a little more effective than THAT if you use it on your face, considering that you'd be likely to use it more often as a daily face-wash than as a shampoo. Keep in mind that this is still an experimental treatment, and should be used with caution. Nizoral Shampoo is pretty strong stuff, and _may_ cause other unintended problems like irritation.

MemberMember
(@critical_impact)

Posted : 01/05/2008 10:59 am

Been using this for around 2 weeks. At first, I did break out in a couple of places. First time I tried with just Jobaba and I had these weird red bumps. So I stopped doing it, then went back to after getting Castor, Grape and Tea Tree.

I use a combo of 50% Castor, 25% Jobaba, 25% Grape and a drop of Tea Tree.

So far, I'm certainly not breaking out and it seems to be holding up as a cleanser and keeping me at the same clearness level when compared to Dan's cleanser.

My blackheads are certainly becoming less visible.

I have weird bumps on my forehead that I've had for a while even on Dan's Cleanser. No idea what they are. OCM seems to get rid of them a bit but If I scratch at one of the bumps oil comes out, which is really disgusting lol.

After using the OCM I put on Dan's Peroxide stuff and leave it at that. Havent been out much with due to holidays but I find I'm not that oily for around 6-8 hours. I'm finding my face is not as red either.

One question for you people doing it, how much oil should I be trying to use. I'm trying to keep my ratio for each oil specific but I have no idea if I'm using too much. Normally with all the oils combined it's probably around 5ml I think.

To all the neigh sayers, It does actually seem to work.

MemberMember
(@youngjaerome)

Posted : 01/09/2008 2:35 am

I have a question just to ease my mind. I started using this and a few red spots showed up.is that just my skin detoxifying? its not like serious

MemberMember
(@thehumanequation)

Posted : 01/10/2008 9:24 am

how often should this be done?

is it a once-a-week type of thing?

MemberMember
(@pocahontas21)

Posted : 01/10/2008 7:33 pm

I do this method everyday morning and evening and I'm still getting amazing results from it. I have heard that some people only do it once a week or so...

i just don't want to irritate my skin with a bunch of diff. things so I'm sticking with the oils because it's simpler that way. :)

MemberMember
(@thehumanequation)

Posted : 01/10/2008 9:03 pm

I do this method everyday morning and evening and I'm still getting amazing results from it. I have heard that some people only do it once a week or so...

i just don't want to irritate my skin with a bunch of diff. things so I'm sticking with the oils because it's simpler that way. :)

Oh wow, I didn't realize this method is supposed to act as a replacement cleanser.

And it's working for you?

MemberMember
(@imoily)

Posted : 01/10/2008 10:39 pm

Is there any SCIENTIST or DOCTOR who says that rubbing your face with oil will help? Because I've tried DRYING my face and using lots of moisturizing products and there's no difference...my skin is still oily as hell.

I don't think you'll find any reputable doctor or scientist saying that, because it goes against what we know about sebaceous gland physiology.

Vixen you can wash the oil off your face every hour it will come back at the SAME level. Applying lotion isnt gonna do a darn thing but add to the goop. Glad you are one of the few who realize this.

MemberMember
(@wanttobefree)

Posted : 01/12/2008 3:56 pm

Is it ok if I use Vita oil and Extra virgin olive oil? =o

MemberMember
(@aroused-guy)

Posted : 01/13/2008 9:50 pm

Is Castor oil this stuff?

[Edited link out]

For constipation? Wtf?

MemberMember
(@wanttobefree)

Posted : 01/14/2008 5:37 am

Impressionist said:

[Edited link out]

For constipation? Wtf?

Yeah it does that aswell.. but my bottle says its for face and hair and there's a warning that it's also a laxative.. there might be different ingredients since yours says its only used as a laxative

MemberMember
(@pocahontas21)

Posted : 01/15/2008 7:50 pm

Oh wow, I didn't realize this method is supposed to act as a replacement cleanser.

And it's working for you?

yup, sure is! :D

MemberMember
(@pocahontas21)

Posted : 01/15/2008 7:54 pm

Impressionist said:

[Edited link out]

For constipation? Wtf?

it's better to use castor oil found at health foods stores that is COLD-PRESSED castor oil. the castor oil at drugstores is mainly meant for internal use-not external use. cold-pressed castor oil is the highest quality and the kind at health foods stores is meant for exterenal use. :)

like this:

http://www.baar.com/castroil.htm

MemberMember
(@flying-dutchman)

Posted : 02/24/2008 10:46 am

In step 3 of the OCM, after the first steaming session, I should "gently massage the oil on your face again". Do I have to use new oil for this, or should I massage the oil that's left on my face after steaming?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@maybe-someday)

Posted : 02/25/2008 9:15 pm

I've started the OCM as well... I was scared because last time I had applied Castor Oil, my face seemed red. But I recently found out that it's only the Extra-Virgin Olive Oil that irritates my skin, and that I was just being paranoid about the Castor. I recently went out and bought Pure Castor Oil and Jojoba Oil. I still use Clindoxyl as a spot treatment, but I plan to twist my way out of it's grasp...! :D I've been doing the OCM for... four days now. :D Skin is less flaky, but I have problems with comedones, although I think that was my first days of using EVOO...

MemberMember
(@blackkchoco)

Posted : 02/27/2008 7:36 am

do anyone know where to get OCM? and how much does it roughly cost?

MemberMember
(@justamomtoo)

Posted : 02/27/2008 2:45 pm

do anyone know where to get OCM? and how much does it roughly cost?

Hi!

I found my oils at my local health food store. I have gone to many health food stores, along with the Vitamin Shoppe, and all of them carried them. Be sure you get the cold-pressed, pure oils, not the castor oil from the drugstore. Any sales people at the health food store will be able to help you out. I think I paid around $7 for the jojoba and $11 for the castor because it was a large size. My recommendation would be to try it in the smaller sizes because it lasts a long time and you might not even like it.

I don't do the exact oil cleansing method and get good results. First I use my regular cleanser to wash off my makeup. After rinsing with warm water and patting dry, I then place some castor and jojoba oils in the palm of my hand, about a quarter size in total, rub my hands together being sure it stays ON my hands instead of running down my arms and every place else lol, then just gently massage all around my skin, deliberately massaging it into all areas. I know other people have used their baby hair brush at this time, which helps with gentle exfoliation as well. After I'm done massaging it in, as long as I want, I rinse with warm water again. Since I don't use a washcloth which takes away most of the oil, I need to use a touch more cleanser again to cut some of the oil. I then dry off with a towel and continue using my topicals. Using a washcloth definitely takes away most of the oil and helps with exfoliation. I just prefer using a little more cleanser again because I still leave behind some oil.

While some people have experienced less oily skin from using this, and still others have experienced drier skin, I have the same amount of oil production using it or not. I do, however, notice it definitely calms my skin, and makes it feel more like skin than cardboard after topical usage. Because it does leave some oil behind, however, I only use it at night and only a few times per week. It is gentle and soothing.

I'm sure you will have no problem finding the oils in any health food store. Even if you decide you don't like it every time you cleanse, I'm sure you will want to use it at various times when your skin feels extra dry and irritated.

MemberMember
(@raised_on_radio)

Posted : 02/28/2008 2:50 pm

Ok... quick question:

Is castor oil supposed to be DARK and smell wierd? Like, almost rubbery?

MemberMember
(@maybe-someday)

Posted : 02/28/2008 2:55 pm

Ok... quick question:

It doesn't smell great, but it doesn't smell horrible... Mine is dark in the bottle but it's clear-looking when I put it in my hands.

MemberMember
(@justamomtoo)

Posted : 02/28/2008 7:37 pm

Ok... quick question:

Mine has a distinct odor to it, looks dark-ish in the bottle, but pours out more clear. Does the one you purchased say it's cold pressed and cold processed? It should say that and also list a bunch of things it's used for; such as, cleansing, castor-oil compresses, massage, etc. If it does, it's the right one!

MemberMember
(@raised_on_radio)

Posted : 02/29/2008 3:02 pm

Ok... quick question:

Mine has a distinct odor to it, looks dark-ish in the bottle, but pours out more clear. Does the one you purchased say it's cold pressed and cold processed? It should say that and also list a bunch of things it's used for; such as, cleansing, castor-oil compresses, massage, etc. If it does, it's the right one!

Actually, Im in Brazil right now and its really hard to find this stuff. So I went to a type of open street market and asked for "Oleo de Mamona" which Im pretty sure is castor oil. The guy gave me a clear bottle with nothing written on it, but assured me it was 100% pure and organic.

MemberMember
(@roxy1)

Posted : 03/02/2008 9:20 pm

ive been doing the OCM with only jojoba oil and from what im reading castor oil is really important in actually cleanind out the skin.....my problem is i cannot find it anywhere... i live in vancouver canada any ideas where to buy it?

MemberMember
(@everyskyisblue__)

Posted : 03/13/2008 9:41 pm

Okay, so I'm a little pissed about how well this is working. I know that sounds weird, but let me explain:

I'm pissed because I wasted hundreds, maybe even thousands of dollars, on products that were supposed to clear my skin and make it less oily. All of these products were made of FAIL and they did nothing more than dry my skin out without making it any less greasy. It was horrible! My skin would be shiny as a Christmas ornament, but still flaky as hell. I didn't even think it was possibly until I saw it.

If I had known that all I had to do THIS WHOOOOLE TIME was smear a bunch of oil on my face and mop it off with wet rag, then I would have saved myself a lot of time, money, and emotional distress.

But it's better late than never, I suppose.

Thank you, Barnabas, for introducing me to this method of cleansing.

I've been doing it for about two weeks now and it's really been the answer to all my skin problems.

The only issue I've been having is that the oil ALWAYS seems to get in the hair around my face, no matter how careful I try to be! While this hasn't caused any breakouts around the hairline, it does instantly make my hair look totally stringy and gross like I haven't washed it in days. Needless to say, I've been wearing a lot of ponytails on the days I can't wash my hair after I wash my face.

MemberMember
(@kelsie123)

Posted : 03/18/2008 12:57 pm

I used this for the first time last night and I loved the way it made my face feel, but I gave a question... Can I use my regular moisterizer instead of the oil afterwards? I just don't know how I feel about leaving oil on my face and not washing it off... I use Cetaphil by the way.