Notifications
Clear all

The OIL CLEANSING METHOD (Highly Recommended!)

MemberMember
(@crisbensbcglobal-net)

Posted : 05/02/2007 3:22 am

Anyone?

Well, it's my third night of oil cleansing. I used the Castor/Grapeseed combo. So far so good. My flakes are gone and my skin feels soft and looks bright.

Woke up with a angry red pimple this morning. Bombed it with BP. By the time I cleansed my face this evening it was much, much smaller. I'm going to sleep with some Proactiv mask on it tonight. Don't know if the oil cleansing had anything to do with it, since I often wake up with angry pimples on my face.

The signs of my picking rampage don't look terrible. The small holes are already closed and the large ones look like they will heal. Crossing fingers.

Nose is still covered in blackheads -- but it doesn't look worse.

Is anyone else still doing the OCM? I'd love to hear about it!

MemberMember
(@yoshimi)

Posted : 06/29/2007 11:13 am

hello! is anyone still keeping up with this method? how's the progress going? i'm really interested in trying this, but i have a question:

is it okay to use 2.5% BP, AHA, and the baby brush method in conjunction with OCM? using BP, AHA, and the baby brush method is keeping my skin relatively clear, but my skin is still super oily. so i'd like to combat my oily skin with OCM. would that be okay? i was thinking about doing the baby brush method every other day, and on the days i don't do the baby brush method, i wanted to do OCM. as for the BP and AHA, i wanted to use those on a daily basis. so my regimen would go something like this:

AM:

wash with head to toe

BP

aloe vera

PM (1):

baby brush

AHA

BP

AM:

wash with head to toe

BP

aloe vera

PM (2):

OCM

AHA

BP

so does this new regimen look okay? can anyone give me some advice? thanks!

MemberMember
(@siouxsie)

Posted : 06/29/2007 1:15 pm

Well I am a DKR user, and have had great results, but when my makeup is feeling very gunky at the end of the day I use DHC deep cleansing oil before my usual routine. It breaks down the makeup & oil much better than Cetaphil alone & does not make me break out. Also, it is great for eye makeup. You put it on a dry face, then rinse it off & follow with a cleanser.

Not all oils are bad, that's for sure. I don't know what I'd do without jojoba oil either!

For me though, no way would oil alone clear my acne. I need an anti-inflammatory & bacteria killing topical of some kind, and BP has been the best so far.

MemberMember
(@baila)

Posted : 07/18/2007 2:04 am

Does anybody thats trying ocm ever mix the oils with a little bit of a regular face wash ?

MemberMember
(@hhughes)

Posted : 07/18/2007 2:29 am

i use Dermalogica Pre-Cleanse...

it works awesome. read about it on this site ... or breakdown is below... [Edited link out]

----------------------

precleanse

The professional's deep cleansing weapon! Achieve ultra clean and healthy skin with a double cleansing regimen that begins with PreCleanse. This plant-based cleansing oil, fortified with Olive and Kukui oils, thoroughly melts layers of excess sebum (oil), sunscreen, waterproof make-up, environmental pollutants and residual skin products that build-up during the day. When water is added it transforms this hydrophilic (water-loving) formula into a milky emulsion, easily rinsing away oil-based debris from the skin's surface and allowing your recommended Dermalogica Cleanser to penetrate even further for professional cleansing results. Formulated with conditioning Rice Bran and Vitamin E oils, this gentle blend can be used around the eye area to even remove waterproof mascara. Offers a deep cleansing ideal for even the most oily skin conditions. Contains no artificial fragrance or color. Professional recommendation advised.

how it works

# Use as the first step of your Dermalogica Double Cleanse, and follow with your recommended Dermalogica Cleanser.

# A blend of rich oils melts through oil and oil-based debris that collects on skin throughout the day.

# Vitamin E Oil, a rich antioxidant, helps improve skin smoothness and softness.

# Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride: is an emulsifying agent that is activated by the addition of water to release the bonded oils from the skin's surface.

-----------------------------

your face will feel a new clean you have never experienced before.

hobojojo liked
MemberMember
(@lilpuss)

Posted : 07/19/2007 9:20 am

Does anybody thats trying ocm ever mix the oils with a little bit of a regular face wash ?

That probably defeats the object.

I've read loads of great reviews for this, but I've only ever heard them from people with acne prone skin, as opposed to actual moderate acne, so I'm a bit worried! I may try it once, and if its good, use it as a deep cleansing method a few times a week. But like Siouxsie, I need some sort of anti-inflammatory and bacteria killing product.

MemberMember
(@rusalka)

Posted : 07/19/2007 9:40 am

NO. LARGE AND COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF NO. This whole deranged, miserable idea is why I'm on accutane in the first place. In a matter of days it made my 98% clear face look like something out of fecking Silent Hill. I must be a rare case though because I waded through about 200 posts of "hooray! this is brilliant!" on the long hair forums before trying it.

MemberMember
(@dm8610)

Posted : 07/22/2007 2:01 pm

bump

MemberMember
(@miss-chanel)

Posted : 07/22/2007 2:24 pm

whenever i feel my face getting pretty oil, that night i wash my face with olive oil.the next day your oil is cut at least in half.

MemberMember
(@dm8610)

Posted : 07/22/2007 8:22 pm

Just did it with jojoba oil

does this help with those pesky flesh colored bumps and clooged pores?

MemberMember
(@sarajane)

Posted : 08/23/2007 9:08 am

hey :) i'm surprised that this thread hasn't got much of a reaction. let me tell you about my story..

i have sensitive, combination, acne-prone skin, that scars easily and tends to have a fair amount of redness in places. i've tried a LOT of things to clear my skin..... all of the prescription things dried out my skin, so i gave up on all of them years ago.. i've bought product after product, blah...... i ordered proactiv, and was happy with that, it really did help me clear up!.... but it still dried out my skin (using it once a day), so i had to be so careful with it, and stop using it every little while to let my skin get less dry!

i recently decided... i'm going to switch to natural products.

so i went out several times and spent hundreds of dollars on products from these lines: earth science, alba botanica, desert essence, avalon organic botanicals, druide, and jojoba oil.......... i have to say, it took a few days to get used to the different feel.. i was so used to having my skin stripped and SQUEAKY clean. but i noticed that my peely skin was gone. amazing! and my skin looked much much more healthy, even and glowy. so i've been reading reading reading.. and i started hearing little bits here and there about this "oil cleansing method", so i searched it out and read about it. yesterday i went out and bought some cold pressed castor oil.. and last night i tried the OCM. i used about 60% olive oil, 40% castor oil. i cringed when i realized i had oil smeared all over my face LOL i steamed it, and then removed the oil really well. i followed up with an avalon organic botanicals toner (vit c), and my skin felt and looked really good.

so, last night was my first try with the actual OCM. but the new products i've gotten go by the same philosophy.. THEY DON'T STRIP YOUR SKIN and they contain OILS. skin is not supposed to be stripped of oil! you're just asking for problems when you do it. so far i am so so happy i've found these new products and am starting the OCM.

don't be afraid of oil........... it's meant to be on your skin. most oils will not clog your pores as long as your remove them well.

i really would urge anybody to try this (clear skin, mild acne, moderate acne). i honestly think that many of us are SUPPOSED to have good "normal" skin, but we ruin it by stripping it and using harsh products.

i'll update soon :)

MemberMember
(@sarajane)

Posted : 08/23/2007 1:17 pm

thought i would add: for those who are interested in the OCM but don't want to try it yet, why don't you go to your local health food store and buy some natural products that contain some oils? cleanser/toner/moisturizer. you may just find even that is the change you need (they work BEAUTIFULLY and leave your skin protected with moisture). also a good way to ease into the OCM.

MemberMember
(@y-oh-y)

Posted : 08/27/2007 6:53 am

well...i believe in this OIL cleansing method...because right now...after using soooo may acne products...i am already afraid of using any right now...so this is my simple regimen...

1) MORNING - wash with water (nothing more)

2) EVENING - apply extra virgin olive oil on the face

- then wash with water

- then put undiluted lemon juice on the face for 20 minutes

- then rinse with water

THATS IT. so basically, i just use 2 natural ingredients on my face: extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice.

i am doing this for a month now and no regrets so far! no initial break outs as well that's why i like this regimen.

during the first week, i used lemon juice with water since i am new to lemon juice. I feel that it will be too harsh to my skin if i will be using undiluted. but now...im using only lemon juice and my skin is used to il already. no redness! also, i wash with water in the afternoon before because I feel as if my face is dirty (maybe because I am used to facial cleansers) and my face tends to be itchy.

I guess, if you are new to pimples or acne...its ok to use acne products to minimise or control it. But after having pimples for YEARS now....its ok to shift to milder products or natural ingredients since maybe your skin is already irritated and wants to breath again.

I have tried milder products and natural ingredients before (when my acne is still so much) but still the acne keeps on coming out. but now that i am 28 y.o., used so many products and my skin is so much irritated (so still having so much pimples) and it tried again to shift to natural ingredients....and thanks god...now it is working!

so folks, its up to you how to analyse your pimples...hehe! maybe you can try my method...its up to you guys!

MemberMember
(@stardancer)

Posted : 08/27/2007 12:38 pm

thought i would add: for those who are interested in the OCM but don't want to try it yet, why don't you go to your local health food store and buy some natural products that contain some oils? cleanser/toner/moisturizer. you may just find even that is the change you need (they work BEAUTIFULLY and leave your skin protected with moisture). also a good way to ease into the OCM.

This is off the subject, but are you also on make up alley?

MemberMember
(@sgxyo3man)

Posted : 08/28/2007 2:10 am

Yeah, I applied castor oil to my face about 2 weeks ago and it ruined me. How could this work for anyone?

MemberMember
(@mikey06)

Posted : 08/29/2007 5:16 pm

I've been looking this method up since I might give it a try. I found a site that you can buy a bottle of the oils all ready mixed together. Anyone ever use this one or other ones that may be out there that are already mixed together?

[Edited link out]

Also, which of the oils would be best to replace jojoba since I'm scared to use it from all the talk that it breaks people out? I have semi oily/acne prone skin.

acowles liked
MemberMember
(@mikey06)

Posted : 08/31/2007 1:43 am

Well I got some castro oil/EVOO today and I just got done trying it. I'm just reall confused on a few things.

1. When you first massage your oil mixture onto your face how long do you keep massaging or wait to put the washcloth over your face?(I didn't do the washcloth part...I steamed in the shower.)

2. I read that your suppose to steam your face, then wipe off the oil and do that a couple of times. Well I did that but my skin still felt a little oily. Is that ok or how it's suppose to be?(I figure it is cause I dout a washcloth would get all that off) I used my DKR cleanser after that to get off the oily feeling which made my face dry so I didn't get the results I was suppose to. Aslo, since I'm doing this in the shower how long should I steam my face before I wipe it off?

MemberMember
(@fuzion)

Posted : 08/31/2007 5:42 am

Well I got some castro oil/EVOO today and I just got done trying it. I'm just reall confused on a few things.

1. When you first massage your oil mixture onto your face how long do you keep massaging or wait to put the washcloth over your face?(I didn't do the washcloth part...I steamed in the shower.)

2. I read that your suppose to steam your face, then wipe off the oil and do that a couple of times. Well I did that but my skin still felt a little oily. Is that ok or how it's suppose to be?(I figure it is cause I dout a washcloth would get all that off) I used my DKR cleanser after that to get off the oily feeling which made my face dry so I didn't get the results I was suppose to. Aslo, since I'm doing this in the shower how long should I steam my face before I wipe it off?

I am pretty new to the OCM thing as well but I will try to help you out.

1) I just massage for about a minute and then heat the washcloth and put it over my face to steam out my pores. I put the washcloth on each side of my face 2-3 times until I get most of the oil off.

2) Your face will feel really oily no matter how many times you wipe it in the shower. It is only when I get out and towel off that it feels clean and that you have gotten all the oil off. You really shouldn't use a cleanser after doing OCM because the whole point of OCM is to not strip your face of natural oils, and that is what cleansers like the DKR product will do.

MemberMember
(@mikey06)

Posted : 08/31/2007 3:28 pm

Do you use olive oil? If so can you feel the oil in your skin afterwards and the next day? My face isn't oily right now but it feels like theres oil underneith and my skins tight(I used the baby brush/DKR cleaner this mornign so the tightness is partly because of that). I think I let the oil sit on my face for to long before I steamed. I usually use a baby brush on my face every day and use DKR cleanser after that. I read on another site that if you do the OCM at night you should onyl have to clean your face with warm water the next morning which I'm not sure if that would be enough. I'd like to get a different oil to replace the olive oil and possibly add a little tee tree oil in the mix. I think the olive oil maybe to thick for me but I have no idea how thck the other oils are that can be used so idk.

MemberMember
(@fuzion)

Posted : 08/31/2007 9:07 pm

Do you use olive oil? If so can you feel the oil in your skin afterwards and the next day? My face isn't oily right now but it feels like theres oil underneith and my skins tight(I used the baby brush/DKR cleaner this mornign so the tightness is partly because of that). I think I let the oil sit on my face for to long before I steamed. I usually use a baby brush on my face every day and use DKR cleanser after that. I read on another site that if you do the OCM at night you should onyl have to clean your face with warm water the next morning which I'm not sure if that would be enough. I'd like to get a different oil to replace the olive oil and possibly add a little tee tree oil in the mix. I think the olive oil maybe to thick for me but I have no idea how thck the other oils are that can be used so idk.

Yes I am using extra virgin olive oil at the moment. Yes it is very thick and I am checking out other options as well. I am looking into getting almond oil or sunflower seed oil, I have heard they are good. If you really want to get full effect from the method you really should stop using other cleansers, that kinda defeats the purpose of doing the OCM. I do the OCM at night and then in the morning I just wash with warm water and shave. That is what is causing my breakouts, the shaving part. All other areas of my face are clear from using AHA and now the OCM method. Once I find a good shave cream that doesnt irritate my skin hopefully I will be 100% clear.

MemberMember
(@red-grapes)

Posted : 12/10/2007 11:30 am

Bump for this method. I've only been using it for about 2 weeks, but it's working very nicely so far. I still have to get my perfect oil mixture down. I want to switch from olive oil to grapeseed or jojoba oil, but I can't find grapeseed oil and jojoba oil is pretty expensive.

I think a few people complained about this method breaking them out in two or three days after they started it. If that's the case, it wasn't the OCM that caused your breakouts. Acne does not form overnight. It takes 2-3 weeks to form.

MemberMember
(@crazygamar)

Posted : 12/10/2007 3:46 pm

I think im going to try this. I have to run into the natural foods store to pick up a shave cream and I think I could probably find the oils there. Im going to try Castor and Grape seed oil because I have dry skin thanks to traditional cleansers....they always dry me out and then the moisturizers clog my pores, haha, its a never ending cycle.

Thanks for this great post though, hopefully this will help me :)

MemberMember
(@bryan)

Posted : 12/12/2007 2:01 am

Actually, the OCM works GREAT for people with oily skin, too...My skin is incredibly, horribly, outrageously oily and the OCM works wonders to balance it out and actually prevent excess oil. When you use the proper oil, your skin will be properly moisturized and cease producing excess sebum. Actually, Jojoba oil is wonderful for this very purpose because it is non-comedogenic and closely resembles the skin's natural sebum in composition, so by cleansing with it, your skin eventually begins to think that it is already well fortified and stop producing more oil.

That reasoning is pure rubbish, because your skin doesn't work that way. Sebum is produced continuously, without regard to what's sitting on the surface. You should know bettter than to repeat that nonsense.

MemberMember
(@volatile_vixen)

Posted : 12/14/2007 11:30 pm

Actually, the OCM works GREAT for people with oily skin, too...My skin is incredibly, horribly, outrageously oily and the OCM works wonders to balance it out and actually prevent excess oil. When you use the proper oil, your skin will be properly moisturized and cease producing excess sebum. Actually, Jojoba oil is wonderful for this very purpose because it is non-comedogenic and closely resembles the skin's natural sebum in composition, so by cleansing with it, your skin eventually begins to think that it is already well fortified and stop producing more oil.

That reasoning is pure rubbish, because your skin doesn't work that way. Sebum is produced continuously, without regard to what's sitting on the surface. You should know bettter than to repeat that nonsense.

Is there any SCIENTIST or DOCTOR who says that rubbing your face with oil will help? Because I've tried DRYING my face and using lots of moisturizing products and there's no difference...my skin is still oily as hell.

MemberMember
(@bryan)

Posted : 12/15/2007 9:16 pm

Is there any SCIENTIST or DOCTOR who says that rubbing your face with oil will help? Because I've tried DRYING my face and using lots of moisturizing products and there's no difference...my skin is still oily as hell.

I don't think you'll find any reputable doctor or scientist saying that, because it goes against what we know about sebaceous gland physiology.