Zinc Reviews

Zinc

Chelated zinc

Hi! Im a 19 yrs girl who has moderate acne. I just wnated to share my experience with zinc. It helped me minimize and control my acne. I took it 2 weeks ago and so far so good. I dont have any break out right now i just have 2 white heads on my forehead and that make me so happy not dealing with acne. Im vegan thats why im probably zinc deficient and taking it has helped me. I take the bramd Solgar chelated zinc because its vegetarian and a really good brand. Let me know if this helped you. And can you also help your girl out with hyperpigmentations??? I have a lot on my cheeks because of my previous acne and its not going away, can you share your experiece on how to remove my pigmentations? My dermatologist wants me to undergo a facial and glycolic peel and i know that really helps buuuuutttt i dont want the pricking part of the facial because that makes my skin have some little crater marks and i dont want that. So can you recommend really good products for my marks that wont break me out???

Definitely worth a try!

Started taking 10 000i.u Vitamin A and 20mg Zinc about a month ago. I also started washing my face with Dove soap and a manual facial brush because I wear makeup regularly, I then moisturize with the Dove baby sensitive lotion. This has taken away all my acne (which I've had consistently for about 9 years now).. It's worth a try

Asking for help?

I need your help! Can Zinc cause an increase in DHT? I read that it boosts testosterone naturally. I've been taking 50 mgs of Zinc for months, and I dont think it helps... My acne is hormonal, I also take Saw Palmetto and I feel like that really helps. But I recently came across an article about testosterone and Zinc. And I'm confused. Was út a mistake to take the two supplements together? Did I boost my testosterone levels with mega doses of Zinc? (50 mgs daily, I'm a 50 kg girl). I stopped taking Zinc for a few days, but I'm really confused, and I havent found information on the internet that would help. Can you guys help me? My acne came back more severe after stopping birth control pills after 2,5 years. Input down the pill last June. Thank you for your help!

Zinc is supposed to balance the testosterone levels in your body but in excess it'll only increase the amount of testosterone your body produces. Homeopaths will usually recommend you take no more than 20mg of Zinc a day.

Zinc for Oily Skin!

I’ve been taking it for four days and all I can say about it is how it improved my oiliness! No breakouts or purging, and no new sight of closed comedones (my WHOLE face is filled with them). The bad side here is you’ll need some moisturizer, because my face got drier than usual. I hope this improvement continues though. Oh, BTW, the brand I have (my dad actually bought it) is Nature Made. I live in the Philippines and I recently took my senior high school at a public school (scorching hot > sweat and oil > closed comedones]. I’m giving it a four just because it has only been almost a week. Taking zinc supplements is kinda like taking accutane, but no disastrous side effects... well, an exception is when you don’t balance your zinc levels with your copper levels. Other than that, all is fine. I think this improvement is relative; if you’re not zinc deficient and you have acne, maybe this isn’t the key to your problem.

Worth a try!

I came to know about using zinc supplements to alleviate acne after my most recent outbreak of cystic acne on my chin and some clusters of closed comedones along the jawline. After so long I finally made the connection that my acne could have something to do with the fact that I hardly ate meat from when I was a kid (hence zinc deficiency and hormone imbalance, which apparently is quite common in vegetarians and vegans). I have been taking zinc supplements (25mg zinc + 250mg vitamin c) daily for 2 weeks now and noticed a huge improvement in my skin. The 3 cysts that came up when I started have gone down considerably in a week (these painful, stubborn cysts usually last for 3-4 weeks sometimes), and the closed comedone clusters are reducing. I have no new acne so far, which I can tell you is a big improvement from someone who has suffered ongoing breakouts from cycle to cycle for as long as I remember! Wish I had found out about this in my teenage years, I could have saved myself from the 6 months of doxycycline which caused angrier and bigger cysts when I stopped, as well the irritation and redness from constant application of topical treatments that don't seem to work.. Worth a try! I took these supplements after food so no nausea but I always feel super hungry the day after! Might try taking it once in two days instead and see how that goes. I have the scars and pigmentation left now so hopefully vitamin e will help with that.

Do you take gluconate or picclonate?

Worth a try!

I have been taking zinc supplements (25mg + 250mg vitamin c) for two weeks and it has made a HUGE difference on my skin. The 3 cysts that I had on my Chin when I started have gone down a lot (they did take a week though but better than the usual 3-4 weeks), and the closed comedones are slowly calming down. No new pimples so far which is rare for me since I've been battling breakouts for as long as I can remember. Wish I had found out about this in my teen years when cysts and nodules were flaring like no other, exacerbated by all those drying and irritating topical treatments. I was also on doxycycline for 6 months back then at my worst, which helped me then but once I stopped the cysts just came back bigger and angrier! I also suspect that I have been zinc deficient all this while which is probably one of the causes of my acne (that and hormone imbalance)--I haven't been much of a meat eater since I was a child, and apparently zinc deficiency is quite common if vegetarians and vegans. Side effects : I take one zinc tablet after dinner and have managed to avoid nausea etc but it does make me super hungry the next day, which is a bit distracting when I'm at work.. Might try once in two days instead. I just have scars and pigmentation leftover to treat so guess I'll try taking vitamin e for that and I'll let you guys know how that goes.

Not the answer

17 yo male. I have mild acne(maybe moderate) , I have read in here about supplementing zinc , hoping it would be the answer. After finishing my first pack of zinc Picolinate 22mg *2/3 a day, let me tell u, it didn't really change anything. Still bought another one as I I'm so desperate so im not really thinking logically..

Try taking 10 000i.u Vitamin A and 20mg Zinc once daily. This combo completely killed my acne

Breaking out and getting acne scars after going vegan, ZINC SAVED MY ASS

I tried with everything. Always going by the healthy way trying to get my acne under control, but i couldnt. Creams, diets, cleanses, they did some good but still something carving inside trying to push my acne out. And after zinc my acne started to diminish a LOT. After a month almost no acne. WORST A TRY, even more if you are vegan, vegetarian or have a zinc defiency. And by the way, read about zinc-copper ratio. After taking zinc ive gotten a copper detox and more symptoms i was having dissapeared (anxiety, bruxism, constipation). I use natural life brand (gluconate), im taking 1 pill (25mg) with lunch, and another (25mg) with dinner. GIVE IT A SHOT. MY SUFFERING IS GONE, I LOVE YOU ZINC!!!!

Zinc and Selenium for Thyroid Acne

I started developing severe cystic acne when I was 20. They were huge red cysts with three heads each that would grow on both cheeks (almost symmetrically), and wouldn't stop being inflamed for two weeks at a time. It was ugly and really painful, and they left marks that would not go away for atleast three months and scars that are still on my cheeks. As I went from acne-free to covered in horrible red acne and scars on my face I became depressed and lost five kgs. I also started to *lose my hair* and had *dry flaky skin on my palms and face*. The skin on my palms would peel off and my hair would fall in clumps. I noticed a decrease in the *quality of hair, which became extremely dry, frizzy and lost its overall shape and texture*. I felt like I had a different person's hair on my head. I went to several doctor's who could not help me, and I got hormone and thyroid tests done which did not tell me anything. After studying my acne and symptoms over a year I self-diagnosed myself with hypothyroidism. Self-diagnosis can be dangerous, but sometimes it's about reading your body's signals. As I took measures to deal with hypothyroidism, my acne went away and I have been cyst-free for six months now. Here is what helped and what didn't: What did not help: Cutting carbs : Helped with weight-loss but acne kept coming Drinking lemon water in the morning: Good habit but cysts continued Burdock Root: did not take full dose and suffered from horrible purging breakouts over jawline on both sides of my face Green Tea: Helped with overall health and skin but cysts continued Vitamin A and D :Helped with overall skin but did not do anything for cystic acne What really helped: Calming myself down: stressing about my cysts made them worse Makeup and concealer: You can always conceal redness; it took me a while to discover this and I have been at peace since then, cysts or no ALOE VERA: This gel is magic and will speed up scar healing so much, and make your skin glowy. Tip: Keep it on overnight, on full face. Zinc: I started taking 15mg of zinc daily because it can support your thyroid. This was the key to being cyst-free. It might not work for everyone, but my hair and skin only returned to normal once I began to take zinc. Don't take too much! [I take 15mg Zinc Gluconate daily from Holland and Barrett. I've been taking one every day for a year now with no side-effects. No nausea or hair loss; my hair is almost too thick right now.] Selenium: I eat one brazil nut everyday. I have not had a single cyst or even big pimple since. It can really support your thyroid. Try it! It's magic. From my experience, zinc is not enough, but in combination with selenium I have almost zero acne issues. Magnesium: I swam in the ocean for a week, and when my skin and hair drastically improved, that's when I suspected I might have thyroid issues. I don't know whether it is the magnesium or zinc or whatever mineral that is present in sea water that did it, but it changed my skin health soooo drastically (just a week!) that it was insane. So try magnesium sprays, tablets, or a swim in the ocean! It's depressing to deal with acne but try and listen to your body. Don't go gluten and dairy free without ruling out hormonal or thyroid and other endocrine issues. Two years ago I was in a horrible place, and was constantly sad about my skin. Today it's something I think about maybe once a month, and only if I can see my scars. Otherwise I can get away without washing my face, eating like crap, being stressed, getting no sleep, having sex, etc. without it showing on my skin! It's only because I know my body needs certain nutrients. If you have any of these symptoms, try what I did! I hope I help someone.

No more acne with zinc

I have had mild acne all my life im 27 years old. I tried everrything but i still get one or 2 big cystic acme every time of the month. Some days are worse. I tried zinc 50mg, vitamin e ,vitamin c altogether at night . And im telling you. Its been 6 months and i still havent have acne . Im completely clear. Not even a small dot on my face. Im so happy. I hope it will last

hi, how long did it take for you to get the result?
Only a week or two. Its really a miracle. Try it with vitamin e and vitamin c 1000mg
TeenGirl14

idk

i'd say it's most likely helped but i dont know if the zinc pills are the ones thats helping with my acne considering that i have a whole routine and diet and im definitely not just gonna stop everything just to see if the zinc pills actually work so yeah im stuck in the middle of it so i'd say it's a "maybe it did work"

Comments

A disappointment for female hormonal acne.

So I have waiting exactly 3 weeks from the start date of taking Zinc Picolinate 75mg daily before leaving a review. I am female, age 28, moderate to severe hormonal acne for 15 years. I can say with confidence that this dosage of Zinc has done absolutely nothing for my skin. It is exactly as bad (if not very slightly worse) than it was 3 weeks ago. I am truly disappointed, as I wanted this to be the natural fix that so many have said it was for them - or at least see some difference, but no. I am now left wondering whether to try upping the dose or to just quit altogether. I can report though that I've had no bad side effects from this dose - and that I have been taking copper also, to make sure my levels don't drop, so no problems there. If I have any further revelations I will come back to share!

Maybe try a lesser dosage. Some studies have shown benefits with dosages between 30 & 50 mg.

Right Dosage for Zinc

How much zinc should I take? Is it good for me to take 50mg? I have pimples but not that severe, my breakout is every other day and what combination of vitamins is best for acne? Thankyou.

Zinc is an essential trace element for humans, and there is evidence that it is similar to antibiotics in improving the condition of inflamed acne. The effective dosage is not clear. However, most studies indicate 50-100mg. We advise you not to take any more than 100mg because excessive zinc may lead to deficiencies in other vitamins and minerals. These supplements can upset your stomach. To prevent nausea, always take Zinc with food. We are also recommending that you discontinue taking the zinc once you are completely clear. We are not suggesting this as a preventative.

good addition to skin routine

I started taking zinc gluconate tablets a couple of months ago now, they're not too expensive so I thought id give them a go instead of piling more products onto my skin. I live in the uk and got my tablets from Holland and Barrett , I have generally seen an improvement in my skin and the amount of breakouts I've been getting recently has reduced however its difficult for me to tell whether this is a result of the zinc or a combination of other factors as I've been altering my skincare routine a decent bit recently and introducing a few new products. overall I think it may have helped my skin at least a little and thats good enough for me. it might work better for you but since its not much of an investment ill probably keep taking them.

Zinc helps my acne.

I'm 23. I have been taking 250 mg of Zinc Gluconate for about 5 months. My acne condition has improved overall. The improvement has not been much, but still significant ( around 33% more clear ). Zinc is definitely worth trying if you have acne.

First Online Review Ever Because This Worked For me

28, 10 years w adult acne, vegetarian (so lacked Zinc in my diet). Less than a week on 50 mg of Zinc (bottle doesn't specify the type) and my skin has dramatically improved. Strongly recommend this!! Made me start my period early because Zinc impacts the menstruation cycle but worth it for having clear skin. SO much easier/cheaper/more effective than the dozens of other products I've tried. TRY IT!

Hi. ( im not sure if I already posted, acne.org signed me out so if this is a duplicate I apologize) I'm glad zinc has worked for you! I am a new vegetarian and have recently developed a lot of cystic acne. I am wondering if zinc is still working for you and if you recommend taking any other vitamins? I don't eat meat, fish, or dairy. Thanks for your help!

Works like accutane without the side effects!

PROS: Started working after two days. I stopped breaking out. CONS: Current acne took forever to go away, like (a month) NOTE: I do break out once in a while, but not because of Zinc. It was more my diet, but even if i do breakout now, they are very small and usually does not surface, and if it does, it is a very small pimple that comes to a head the next day.

Congrats dude! What form, and dosage, do you use? I have just started with zinc piliconate at 22mg

Stops breakout but doesn't cure..

I started taking zinc (50) and vitamin d3 (2200)tablets and vitamin c (1000 wit rose hip) twice a day it stopped breakout , in this two months I have had very few breakdouts that disappeared in 2-3days but it didn't do anything to my red marks on face it still looks the same when I started taking ...

Did not work for me

After taking 40 mg of zing per night for about 5 nights, I got horrible cysts on my cheeks and the skin around my mouth and nose became red and very dry and flaky. I was upset this didn't work for me after reading the review but I guess I just have to keep going with trial and error if I want to see improvement. At least now I know this doesn't work for me so I won't try it again.

5 days of zinc won't do anything. 5 days of any supplement/medice wouldn't help cure anything. Just have that in mind. My face got worse too before it got better.

Zinc, Beta Glucan or D3 vitamin?

I'm taking beta glucan, zinc and D3 pills for month - two, and there is no single new spot on my skin and it is glowing. Not sure what exactly helped. Year ago, I used beta glucan and D3 as well, but many other things as well - like green tea, clay for drinking, clay and lemon masks, and lot of other teas, not drinking alcohol a lot and eating sugar, green smoothies. My face suddenly became horrible, with a lot of break outs and cysts, then cleared and it was clear for some time., like 2 months. Then I stopped using beta glucan, but continued to use D3 pills. After I stop using D3, my face became inflamed again, so I started using it again at it did not help. This year I started with beta glucan, and D3 but brought some zinc as well. I do eat all I want, mix of fruit and vegetable salads, gluten, white breads and pasta, fried meets and some alcohol and sugar as well, and it seems it is not affecting my face at the moment. Above that, I'm moisturizing face with Argan or Rose hip oil (I used Rose hip oil last year when my face cleared, but I was using it as well when it became inflamed again).

Popular Vitamins/Supplements