The right state of ...

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] The right state of mind to have Dan Kern's Regimen work for you

MemberMember
(@emi07)

Posted : 09/17/2007 2:24 pm

I just started using DKR for only a few days. I am having itchy, red and burning sensation on the 3rd day. I had to use Cetaphil (cream) to calm my irritated face. And I was about to give up and I saw this post. I feel somewhat encouraged to continue using the DKR.

Can I use BP only once a day or should I continue using it 2 times. I also noticed that after doing Bikram Yoga (hot yoga) and sweating a lot, my face burns more.

Should I use/not use BP while doing yoga? Any suggestions/help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

emi

MemberMember
(@cool-as-kim-deal)

Posted : 09/17/2007 7:00 pm

I just started using DKR for only a few days. I am having itchy, red and burning sensation on the 3rd day. I had to use Cetaphil (cream) to calm my irritated face. And I was about to give up and I saw this post. I feel somewhat encouraged to continue using the DKR.

Can I use BP only once a day or should I continue using it 2 times. I also noticed that after doing Bikram Yoga (hot yoga) and sweating a lot, my face burns more.

Should I use/not use BP while doing yoga? Any suggestions/help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

emi

I wonder if you might be allergic or are just using a bit too much BP to start with. I think doing a patch test behind your ear would be a good idea. Discontinue the regimen for now, and apply a small amount BP periodically behind one of your ears for a couple of days. If you have the same itching/burning sensation there and it persists, then I'd wager that you're allergic to BP. If the patch test goes fine, though, then you can start back up again with BP, but I'd only use a very small amount twice a day, perhaps even smaller than Dan's recommended initial amount, and ramp up very slowly. You might just do your applications in the evening so that you aren't feeling as uncomfortable during yoga, too. I don't usually feel any burning beyond normal flushing while exercising, but then again, I tend to work out later in the day, long after my morning application of BP so I could see it being a little more intense earlier on in the day.

MemberMember
(@emi07)

Posted : 09/18/2007 12:16 pm

Thanks a lot.

emi

I wonder if you might be allergic or are just using a bit too much BP to start with. I think doing a patch test behind your ear would be a good idea. Discontinue the regimen for now, and apply a small amount BP periodically behind one of your ears for a couple of days. If you have the same itching/burning sensation there and it persists, then I'd wager that you're allergic to BP. If the patch test goes fine, though, then you can start back up again with BP, but I'd only use a very small amount twice a day, perhaps even smaller than Dan's recommended initial amount, and ramp up very slowly. You might just do your applications in the evening so that you aren't feeling as uncomfortable during yoga, too. I don't usually feel any burning beyond normal flushing while exercising, but then again, I tend to work out later in the day, long after my morning application of BP so I could see it being a little more intense earlier on in the day.

Thanks for your advice.

MemberMember
(@jazznabbers)

Posted : 09/20/2007 11:53 pm

Thanks a lot.

emi

Hey Kim,

I need some serious advice..

I have been on Dans Regiment for 7 weeks and I have not seen much improvement...

Actually it has gotten worse.. my lower cheeks, jawline broke out pretty bad..but my upper

cheeks and forehead are pretty clear (for now)..

I eat healthy, switch my tooth paste to non fluoride, am super gentle with my face, change pillow case every other day, dont touch my face, take supplements, etc...

I dont know what to do

Here is my regimen

Morning

Dans facial cleanser

Dans BP

Dans Moisturizer

Cetaphil SPF 15

Night

Dans facial cleanser

Dans BP

aha lotion

Dans Moisturizer

Supplements

Fish Oil - about 3-4

50mg Zinc

just started Apple Cider Vinegar pills

Multi vitamin

Lots of water and a tea called Kumbucha

I wanted to go back to Pro Active of try other regimens that I have been reading about

ie. Clean & Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleanser (10% Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Medication) and Clean & Clear Blackhead Clearing Scrub (Salicylic Acid 2%)

OR

This regimen

Morning:

Wash with Clearasil Daily Face Wash (Oil free for Sensitive Skin)

Apply whatever light day lotion you prefer (I use the Eucerin Renewal)

If desired in the beginning dap 10% BP cream on active pimples - but do NOT spread around to the rest of your face.

Night:

Wash with Clearasil Daily Face Wash again

Wash with St. Ives Apricot Scub (your skin will feel so soft and silky after rinsing it off!)

Apply Dove Sensitive Essentials Night Cream

Again, in the beginning if desired, dap 10% BP cream ONLY to active pimples with a Q-tip to help dry them out, do NOT spread around.

Once a week: Use Queen Helene Grape Seed Extract Peel Off Masque

I am so confused..need some guidance

I got so desperate that I bought the lumiport pen light ($150)

Please advise!!!!

-b

MemberMember
(@kitty10)

Posted : 10/09/2007 12:34 pm

I recently stumbled on Dan's site and currently trying out the Regimen... I guess i started on too quickly with too much BP and now my face is too irritated . This topic sure is helpful in keeping me from quitting altogether.

I have to keep in mind to be patient. I am looking forward to clear days :-) just hanging in here despite all the itchiness, the swelling and the redness. Will try to go easy on BP and up the notch as soon as my face adjusts to it.

Kitty10

MemberMember
(@jonichelle)

Posted : 10/15/2007 12:55 pm

I just signed up on here today, and ordered the stuff to start the regime - hope it comes soon. While I didn't want to heer it can take like 7 months, I do like to hear from real people that it works...

Here is hoping..

post-64433-1192470900_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@markaf80)

Posted : 11/10/2007 1:00 pm

Great post and thank you - before receiving Dan's products this past week, I had been using on-the-spot with a moisturizer that contains salicyclic acid for about a month, not realizing that this may have made things worse. I was going to finish it up before switching to Dan's moisturizer but now have thrown it out and switching immediately.

MemberMember
(@franie)

Posted : 11/10/2007 7:22 pm

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to read today when I'm frustrated and worried about drying skin and flakiness. It's only been 3 weeks on the regime for me so I think I just need to relax at this stage more than anything else :)

I love the bit about stop looking at your skin in the mirror and picking at it - very good advice for me!!

MemberMember
(@lu-lu-belle)

Posted : 11/20/2007 5:08 pm

definitely what i needed to read right now..... i had an unsuccessful stint with the regimen a year ago, quit, and start over again a few months ago, but i tried to modify it how i see fit and ended up with lackluster results. i needed this encouragement. :)

MemberMember
(@chancesbreathe)

Posted : 11/28/2007 7:37 pm

This is exactly what I needed to read! Thank you for that great post! :D

Mixing a salicylic acid-like treatment with the Regimen BLEW MY FACE UP BIG TIME. ANY treatment of acne takes at least 2 months to determine results. There's no reason to get hasty, or you'll end up like me three weeks ago. not fun.

For one reason or another, your environment, diet, or hormones can also skew results.

But all things taken aside, BP seems to be the only thing that works for me. I'm so glad I found this site. ^_^

MemberMember
(@yaz76er)

Posted : 02/28/2008 8:49 pm

well done topic

i really believe it

and i tried the regimen b4 but i quit cuz of redness

this time i decided to continue and it's been a week now , today i saw better improvement in redness

and i'm lookin for this regimen

MemberMember
(@fightit)

Posted : 02/28/2008 9:49 pm

GREAT POST, The regimen has done wonders for my face!!

MemberMember
(@legalcutie1978)

Posted : 02/28/2008 10:41 pm

I was just surfing the net when I found this site. I have been dealing with severe and moderate acne for the past 18 - 19 years. It fluctuates of course. It clears up enough to make me think it might not come back, that maybe, JUST MAYBE I have finally outgrown it (seeing as how I'm about to turn 30). But no, my acne has been the one thing I can rely upon my whole life. I just ordered the Big Kit. I cannot wait for it to arrive and I am very excited about trying it. I tried Proactiv in the past, but that just made my acne worse. If the DKR works for me, then I will be able to pass it on to my younger sister, who has also been cursed with horrible skin. Obviously, if the DKR works for me, I am going to tell everyone I know, whether they have acne or not, because even if someone isn't plagued with acne, then chances are, they know someone who is. I totally plan to take pictures to document my DKR Journey, because seeing is believing and if this stuff works, then I want everyone to be able to see.

MemberMember
(@adidas7)

Posted : 03/01/2008 1:48 am

I've been very frustrated with my skin the last few weeks, but this post has really helped and i think it has given me new motivation. I've been on the DKR for a little over 2 months now and my skin is a lot clearer than it originally was when i started the regimen, but lately i've been picking at my skin a lot and looking in the mirror about every 10 seconds because of dryness, which then has turned into red marks and some new pimples. When I first started the regimen, i told myself not to worry about the dryness and not to look in the mirror at all and my skin was looking pretty good, but I slowly started the pimple picking process again. I just want to say again that this post has re-motivated to not pick or rub my skin and get back on the right track to clear skin. Thank You

MemberMember
(@khrysalis)

Posted : 03/27/2008 9:44 pm

I'm glad I read your tips for beginners. I'm at the dry/flaky skin stage of the regimen from all the BP. It's not uncomfortable as much as it just looks terrible. Still, as you pointed out, a few flakes are better than the alternative. I'm anxious to try Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion which Brandy recommended to me for exfoliating the dead skin, and I see you use it at night. After reading your tips, I'll wait until my skin has adjusted to the BP and the redness goes down before I add another product to my BP regimen. I use more than the recommended fingerful. I love BP!!!! In fact, I am a little concerned I may be using too much and turning into a BP addict. After dealing with skin so greasy you could grease a frying pan with it, the dryness is a beautiful, welcome change. For the first time in my life, I don't have to think about my skin, whether it's oily, how oily, do oil blot tests to see how oily, feel my face for fresh zits, deal with oily, dirty hands from all the touching, oily glasses, oil in the eyes, etc. I cleared up fast (only took a week!) with the BP regimen (yeah I know one of those "miracle" cases). Now that I'm clear I don't want to have future outbreaks, but as you said, there's that desire to take your skin to the next level, and with that the temptation to try new things other members are recommending. It's exciting, but daunting as well. So I guess for now less is more; stick with the basics. Except for BP, of course. For me I feel I just can't use too much BP. More is more. :) I've accepted the fact that my war against my acne is an ongoing one, and that I'll need to stick with the regimen the rest of my life. But after 24 years of fighting the battle out of 36, I feel for the first time I am finally winning. Thanks to you, Dan, Brandy and acne.org for equipping us for battle, not just with superior ammunition but with the proper training and knowhow to use them wisely! BTW, do dermatologists ever come to Dan and acne.org with questions? It's evident to me that the administrators of acne.org know more about the products dermatologists recommend and their proper use than they do!

Zitless in CT

MemberMember
(@ditto)

Posted : 05/19/2008 4:34 pm

i like what i'm hearing on this board and thinking about trying this regimen during the summer.

MemberMember
(@marie03)

Posted : 05/25/2008 9:51 pm

Thanks so much for this post!

I'm on day 5 of Dan's Regimen. I have some improvement but mostly dry skin and I think I'll slow down on the BP just a bit. I knew that my face wouldn't be clear right away and that it needs patience, but this motivated me even more to stick this out :).

MemberMember
(@banana_skin)

Posted : 05/29/2008 7:55 am

Don't be tempted by other treatments while on the regimen. Other acne treatments like salicyclic acid (beta hydroxy acid) or sulfur can compoud your irritation with the regimen, so don't touch those at all, especially while you are still adjusting to the regimen, In fact, BP deactivates topical retinoid products aside from Differin, so you definitely can't have those on your face at the same time!

You can use antibiotic stuff at the same time right?

i assume so because my doctor has given me Dalacin T (Clindamycin stuff) AND a BP, (which i won't be using bcus it's panoxyl which turns me red) but i will be using a different BP...

so i imagine you can use them both at the same time right?

MemberMember
(@groovypancakes)

Posted : 05/31/2008 10:48 am

Thank you so much for this post! I'm new here and haven't started the regiem yet. I kind of had hoped for getting clear in about a month as my acne is pretty clear these days (a few spots around my mouth and faint spots on my chest and back and occasionally in between my eyebrows - am basically just trying to get completely clear) so do you think that's realistic people? Anyway I won't get my hopes up too much. Also apperently the moisturiser isn't amazing so would it be better to use jojoba oil instead because I get dry patches on my forehead quite easily which then makes my make-up flake or would that be too dangerous? Thanks =)

MemberMember
(@gcos)

Posted : 06/05/2008 2:16 pm

what is your answer to pimple popping? i simply cannot go out with huge white pimples, ready to burst... will popping them (even after cleaning hands and face) truly effect it? thanks

MemberMember
(@shootacne)

Posted : 07/08/2008 6:13 pm

i dont think his regimen works

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 07/08/2008 6:22 pm

i dont think his regimen works

These people would probably disagree with you.

http://www.acne.org/success.php

:)

MemberMember
(@tonjav)

Posted : 07/16/2008 1:53 pm

I've been using the treatment product for over two years now. I had also done proactiv, retin-a, duac, etc. NONE of those worked for me. I happened upon this site while doing internet research sicne no doctor could help. This has been the best thing ever for me! I immediately stopped using all the stuff I was using and followed the regimen regarding the amount of bp gel to use. I cleanse with cetaphil or a generic as my face is super sensitive. I was worried that the bp gel would be too much for my face but I honestly attest to the fact that my acne has drastically improved! When I get a breakout, it's because it's "that" time of the month or I've slacked off a bit.

I think the fact that I felt sure it would work going in really helped me. For some reason, I didn't have doubts about its success and I usually don't feel like that, especially about products I buy online. I find it quite cost effective for the results.

MemberMember
(@allaboute808)

Posted : 07/17/2008 3:12 pm

what a great thread! i just had one question. when it comes to makeup, is it ok to use it while on the DKR??? i need coverage when i go about my day but does it hinder the regimen at all??? anyone experienced any bad breakouts? please help! i just got my starter kit and used it once so far.

mahalo from HAWAII ;)

MemberMember
(@ryan5177)

Posted : 07/26/2008 1:08 pm

This is a really good thread, a DKR beginner must-read thread. I almost gave up at week 2 due to break out and the flakiness. I stopped using DKR for like a week plus, then when the flakiness subsided, I resumed my DKR. I bought a Japanese hyaluronic acid based mouisturizer and it seems to reduce the flakiness of my face. Anyway, I have just order Jojoba oil, and I hope by adding Jojoba oil to the moisturizer, the flakiness will go away so that I could keep on applying BP on my face. I am not using BP in the morning, because when I sweat, the sweat runs down my face and bleach my shirt. So, I ordered Dan's AHA+ as a replacement for the morning BP.