Reviews
51%
Based on All Available Studies
Strength of Evidence
Topical Retinoid
Side Effects
Low-Medium
Acne.org’s Real World Take
Produces similar results to the two other topical retinoids, tretinoin and adapalene, which means only partial clearing, and comes with far more sensitivity and side effects when you first start using it. It probably won’t be a total game changer and don’t be surprised if it’s too much for your skin to take.
How to Get It
Have a dermatologist? Make an appointment to get this medication. Don't have a dermatologist? See The American Academy of Dermatology Physician Database to find one.
Read All About Tazarotene

Used Tazarotene? Rate It:

Choose from 1 to 5 stars
June 28, 2016
Nope.
Only used it for 2 nights around 6 months ago. As soon as I woke up the next morning I had broken out like never before! I decided to give it another day and I developed around 3 unsurfaced pimples and many whiteheads. I didn't experience dryness or irritation although the pimples that came up were red. It surely left some skin discoloration but as of now my skin is looking great using Epiduo and taking 10,000 IU of Vitamin A and 1,000 IU of Vitamin D3. This product was definitely NOT for me.

2 user(s) found this helpful

June 17, 2016
Amazing
My skin cleared up in 2 days using this. Here's what I do: I remove all makeup from my face and neck using the red bioderma makeup remover. Then, I cleanse my skin with NeoStrata 2% glycolic acid foaming cleansing water. I'm not sure if this product is available in the USA, but I highly recommend this product. It is very, very gentle and effective. After drying my face, I apply a thin layer of Tazorac gel 0.1%. I have been doing this for only 2 days and have seen major improvements. I had cystic acne all over my cheeks, tiny under the skin breakouts almost everywhere else and severe redness and discolouration... Not to mention deep scarring on my cheeks. Tazorac has already nearly diminished every issue that my skin had. I paid about 65 dollars for a tube at the pharmacy in Canada. I noticed it made my skin very oily directly after applying it. I used the bioderma makeup remover and a cotton pad to remove the oil and have had no new breakouts. I did not experience any irritation, but have read that many people will get dry or itchy skin. If your skin gets dry I would recommend using Tazorac every other night and using a cold pressed coconut oil every morning. My skin is finally clear! Hooray!!!!

6 user(s) found this helpful

May 23, 2016
wow
i have been battling cystic acne for many years now and it is completely gone!! i've been using this stuff for 2 month with duac now, and all of my pimples have come to a halt. yes, my face is peeling like crazy, but that is a good thing! that means the dead skin cells and top layer is shedding off and my scars are less visible. My derm said the more i use it overtime, my acne scars will be gone and my face will be much smoother...it's ALREADY getting smoother after 2 weeks of using this product. highly recommend it!

15 user(s) found this helpful

February 27, 2019

When did you use duac?

May 19, 2016
Has it's pros and cons for acne
I use Tazorac Gel .1 Tazorac is a tricky product. I have been on Tazorac for over 2 years now and it's sometimes a love/hate relationship. I will say it is EXCELLENT at helping get rid of scaring and hyper pigmentation. HOWEVER, if you use too much of it you will regret it. If not used in just the right amount for your skin it will cause your skin to dry, crack, peel, turn red and unfortunately for me caused me to break out more because my skin was so irritated. I have learned through trial and error that the best way for me to use Tazorac is to wash my face in the evening with VANICREAM, let dry, apply VANICREAM moisturizer, let dry, and then apply the smallest amount (less than a pea size) to the back of my hand. Then using my fingertips I dot the Tazorac on the problem areas of my face and smooth product out to the other areas. Avoid lip and eye areas. It takes about 2-3 months for the skin to really get used to this product. When first using the product, my skin went through a very sunburned looking, dry and ugly PURGING period that was disheartening. However, I do believe my skin is better off with the product now. The key is to use it every day at night before bed and ONLY as directed. Don't be slack about using it because if you start and stop your face will hate you for it. An extra perk about this product is that it also helps with aging and sun spots. I know I have said a lot of negative things about Tazorac but all in all it is a very good acne product when used correctly. It's just one of those things that takes time and a lot of patience to see results.

6 user(s) found this helpful

May 16, 2016
Effects of purge not worth it
I always struggled with acne but got it under control after a 2 year battle. The only thing I had were those annoying little colorless bumps on my forehead. Nothing worked so my derm prescribed me with both the .5 and 1%. Because of its effects I'm going on accutane now. The purge was so not worth it and after almost a month and a half my skin still has new painful bumps everyday. In the 2 years that Ive struggled with mild to moderate acne its never been this bad. I highly suggest staying away from this product if you have mild acne. Not sure how it works for more severe cases but I definitely wish I stayed away from this.

May 6, 2016
Amazing at right strength!!
It depends on the strength. I had the o.o5%. My results were better skin. I just switched to 1% and I'm fearful of this purge talk. I woke up with pimple on my forhead that's never had pimples. Skin feels rough and dry. I wish I would've stuck with lower. Here's the deal. If you have combo or sensitive skin start low,don't think more is better. Now my mother can withstand tretinoin lower dose, me I was burnt. She has normal to dry skin. Don't be afraid to start low, I know it's expensive but sometimes more does more damage then good.
February 7, 2016
Terrible
I locked myself in the bathroom and is crying because of what this stuff did to my face

2 user(s) found this helpful

February 3, 2016
One Month
I am 16 years old and have had pretty mild consistent acne since I was about 12. In the last few months my acne has gotten worse. My forehead was mostly consistent of small bumps that could be covered up but were incredibly annoying. Also I occasionally got more red pimples around my Tzone, but nothing too extreme. After being done with my bumps I went to the my dermatologist and she prescribed Tazorac and Yaz birth control for my acne on my chest, back, and face. I have been using the combined products for over a month and my skin on my face had never been worse. The first few weeks were the worst, my face was incredibly dry but now I use cetaphil daily moisturizer from the jar and my face is never dry anymore. Not only was my face bumpy but I had started to get acne on my cheek and chin, which never happened before. But I am expiriencing better skin on my chest. I'm hoping this is just simply the purging process and my face will clear up soon.

January 13, 2016
Very drying!!!
I am an 18 year old female & I've had pretty moderate acne since I was about 13. I feel like I've tried so many things but I haven't gotten on an actual skincare regime until about a month and a half ago. I cleanse my face with Murad Clarifying Cleanser, tone with witch hazel in the morning (at night I use Mario Badescau glycolic acid toner) follow with aczone, and then apply CeraVe moisturizer. I am also on Solodyn. This combination of things has kept the acne at bay, but I still occasionally got breakouts and I have very bad hyper pigmentation that was not fading. I went to the dermatologist and she gave me this to use at night. Within three nights it managed to wreck complete havoc on my skin!! It is extremely dry, painful, and red. I can't cover it with makeup and I'm embarrassed to even leave the house. My skin has never felt this awful. I've heard good things about Taz, and I want to give it another shot once my face heals, however I will use a very very small amount next time. To anyone looking to use this, be careful with how much you use! A little goes a long way, DO NOT just slather it on your face, especially if you have dry skin to begin with like I did.
February 6, 2016
I had the same expirience I am noes string coconut oil on my dry-ass, red face. I was so try I couldn't even move my face, it looked like I aged 50 years! My mother should have given my more instructions when she suggested it for me, she just said "just put it on there!!!!" And I got to much gel
July 8, 2016
Did you try .1 gel /cream or 0.05 gel /cream? I've tried the .1 gel and Lord have mercy the side effects were awful..skin burn, severe dryness..and I was using it for 6 months without any improvement. However, when I switched to 0.05, my skin cleared up within a good 2 weeks. I was very surprised. Try the 0.05 gel or cream if you haven't. My skin glows now ! The gel is for oily skin( it'll dry out your skin whereas the cream is for dry skin, it won't be as drying. Good luck!
December 17, 2015
Worse acne after 12 weeks
After 3 weeks of the medication, I experienced worse acne than I've ever had in my entire life (I'm currently 21, and I've had moderate-severe acne since age 17, but this was HORRENDOUS). Thought it was just an "acne purge"... but it lasted and worsened all the way up until week 12 of the medication. It was SO painful, itchy, and made me not want to leave the house. If you are still experiencing worse acne around like week 7-9, call your doctor... don't finish the course like I did. Now I'm going to try Spiro and Retin-A micro. Here's hoping this nightmare is soon over.

February 3, 2017
Did the different treatment help you?

Finding a Doctor

The right dermatologist can make a big difference to your patient experience and the success of your acne treatment plan. Here are the steps to find a dermatologist who is a good fit:

1. Use the search feature on the American Academy of Dermatology website to look for board-certified dermatologists in your area, and filter the search results for doctors with a special interest in treating acne.
  2. Read online patient reviews of any dermatologists you are considering and ask people you know whether they have any experience with these dermatologists.
  3. Do your research and go to your first appointment with questions prepared.
  4. Listen to what your gut feeling tells you once you see a dermatologist in person. If you are not completely comfortable, try a different dermatologist.

Finding a Doctor

Only a select few plastic surgeons specialize in acne scar revision surgery. Be certain to find a provider who specializes in acne scar repair and who is passionate and experienced in this area.

Be sure to:

• Look at before and after photos, the more the better, especially patients with similar scarring to your own.
  • Be realistic about results. Look for improvement, not a cure.

Questions to ask a potential scar revision specialist:

• Are you board certified? Be certain that they are board certified.
  • How long have you been performing these procedures? Normally, the more experience the better, however, some younger surgeons may be more on top of the latest procedures.
  • Can I speak to some of your other patients? Ask for references for several patients who had similar scarring and speak to them about the process and their satisfaction with results.

Red flags:

• Their story changes: As you discuss different treatment options, if they tend to change their mind easily, or agree with whatever you say, consider this a red flag. A confident, experienced surgeon will possess strong, unwavering opinions.
  • Your gut tells you "no": Trust your gut. If you just don't feel that the doctor is the right fit, trust that and move on. On the other hand, if you feel they are the perfect specialist for you, trust that feeling.