Good or Excellent Response
60%
Based on All Available Studies
Strength of Evidence
How to Get It
Have a dermatologist or plastic surgeon? Make an appointment to get this procedure done. Don't have a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon? See The American Academy of Dermatology Physician Database to find a dermatologist or the American Society of Plastic Surgeons to find a plastic surgeon.
Read All About Non-ablative Non-fractional Lasers
20.5%

Used Non-ablative Non-fractional Lasers? Rate It:

Choose from 1 to 5 stars
November 4, 2009

Pros:

none

Cons:

left me with a scar! i went to improve some minor acne scars and was burnt and left with a big hole just above my cheek bone. And I had to pay for it!

Dont get burnt!

66 user(s) found this helpful

September 1, 2009

Pros:

Seemed to have cleared up some scaring but not much...

Cons:

Takes forever to see a difference..

Im seriously not convinced this works.. I had three nlite's done once every month. Now im doing glycolic peels, im on my third peel and i have three more to do and still no difference. Im also using Is Clinical acne products aswell which cost an arm and a leg. I have to go back after i finish the peels for more nlite, apparently It works better with the facial peels we will see. I don't know if this will work but ive seen no improvments yet and im getting really fustrated with it. I feel that it is only a con.

75 user(s) found this helpful

August 11, 2009

Pros:

Skin feels smooth after treatment, no down time,

Cons:

Face is red and some swelling for about 6 hours. I had 6 treatments of the cool touch, as well as switching with the V-Beam Laser. My acne cleared up for about a month, now its worse than has ever been before

Didn't work for me.

76 user(s) found this helpful

February 13, 2009

Pros:

calmed down acne breakouts significantly. made skin less oily

Cons:

probably temporary. everything depends on practitioner--they can make it worse. no lessening of depressed scarring or tiny veins.

i had a series of 4 (once a month) last summer. the (suprisingly amazing) control of my acne breakouts (have acne for 11 years) seems to have gone away 6 months later. I went for mild depressed scars on cheek and jaw and red spot scars. (smoothbeam/v-beam combo). Most scars look the same now--but beware! The last treatment was more intense (leaving bruising) and I was left with 4 or 5 pretty noticable spider veins around my nose--when i only had one small one before--and even tiny little veins going up my nose to my eye area. upsetting. red scars not changed. Also, there was one depressed scar that is now more than twice as big. thats the worst part--be really aware when u do this that it could happen no matter what they say--because some scars are actually bigger underneath, and somehow they get exposed. I had the low-risk skin for this too bc i have fair skin and im really careful with my face (sunscreen, always follow directions, no fragrance products).

4 user(s) found this helpful

November 5, 2008

Pros:

None

Cons:

Treatment is very expensive, and it doesn't work. The treatment itself is quite painful, and there is no aftercare.

In my consultation, the nurse decided I should need three treatments in total, costing £225 each. I was told the treatment would clear up the spots and calm some of the permenent redness and scarring on my face. However, it is about a month after my third and final treatment, and my skin looks and behaves exactly the same way as before I had anything done. I have spent all this money and there are no results to show for it. Its a complete waste, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I felt that the nurse at The Private Clinic wasn't very knowledgeable or helpful, and when I queried the fact that there was no improvements, or even side effects during the treatment as you're ment to get an outbreak of spots, she just kept fobbing me off with " it takes time to see any results".

6 user(s) found this helpful

July 16, 2008

Pros:

A year after the treatment I can see a slight flattening of my original scarring. It is no where near the 60-70% improvement as I was told by the dermatologist.

Cons:

My cystic acne returned after 5 sessions. I was told that I would be rid of all of those small little ones I would get each month and instead I got 3 huge breakouts that even after injections left deeper scars than the ones I started with.

I spent over $5000.00 on Smoothbeam treatments over a year in addition to 2 Vbeam sessions (absolutely did NOTHING!). I have to say if I could take it back I would. As I stated above I broke out horribly after a few treatments. I had not had cystic acne for years before the Smoothbeam treatments. Also, I have to say that the dermatologist who was very excited and positive in the beginning was basically shooing me out the door at the end of the treatments. He said that prior to me his success rate was 100%. I have a feeling I was not the first failure, nor would I be his last. I find that micro-dermabrasion 2xs a month keeps my acne at bay (along with Yaz birth control) and makes my skin look a bit smoother. I remain hopefully optimistic that one day there will be a better solution.

March 9, 2007

Pros:

can't think of any

Cons:

ruined my skin

I had two treatments 3 years ago (could only afford two at the time) it totally wrecked my skin. First impression was no change and then after about a months my skin got so bad! My left side is now scared and uneven. It cost me more than lots of money, it cost me time and made my obsess about my skin. Just not worth it.

January 31, 2007

Pros:

Smoother Skin is all i notice right now, No downtime

Cons:

Expensive

Just had first treatment earlier in the morning, not really expecting anything but gonna post after every treatment (which is once a month) Even though, it was only the first..I noticed my small pitted scars (very small around cheeks) got 50% better and up, was surprised to see anything at all. I really look forward to the other 3 because from what everyone keeps saying, it only gets better
January 12, 2007

Pros:

Got rid of acnes for 6 months.

Cons:

Did not do anything for my wrinkles and scars.

N-LITE does not help younger people with wrinkles

November 29, 2006

Pros:

You get psyched up with all the promises of huge improvements!

Cons:

Not over-expecting anything life changing, the results after 9 treatments were a dillusioning let down! I was told to keep going, not to lose the momentum of what was started. I was told it takes up to 1 year to see results. Total B.S!!

If I had the choice to do it again for FREE, I wouldn't do it! The pain and time spent WERE NOT worth the results!I'm in my 50's and search daily for alternative, no down time treatments. SMOOTHBEAM is in my opinion totally oversold and just one more huge let-down for what I thought was finally an answer to scarring. I compared some pics of 1 year ago to present, and virtually so no changes. My advice, is DON"T BELIEVE ANY OF IT!!

6 user(s) found this helpful

Finding a Doctor

The right dermatologist can make a big difference to your patient experience and the success of your acne treatment plan. Here are the steps to find a dermatologist who is a good fit:

1. Use the search feature on the American Academy of Dermatology website to look for board-certified dermatologists in your area, and filter the search results for doctors with a special interest in treating acne.
  2. Read online patient reviews of any dermatologists you are considering and ask people you know whether they have any experience with these dermatologists.
  3. Do your research and go to your first appointment with questions prepared.
  4. Listen to what your gut feeling tells you once you see a dermatologist in person. If you are not completely comfortable, try a different dermatologist.

Finding a Doctor

Only a select few plastic surgeons specialize in acne scar revision surgery. Be certain to find a provider who specializes in acne scar repair and who is passionate and experienced in this area.

Be sure to:

• Look at before and after photos, the more the better, especially patients with similar scarring to your own.
  • Be realistic about results. Look for improvement, not a cure.

Questions to ask a potential scar revision specialist:

• Are you board certified? Be certain that they are board certified.
  • How long have you been performing these procedures? Normally, the more experience the better, however, some younger surgeons may be more on top of the latest procedures.
  • Can I speak to some of your other patients? Ask for references for several patients who had similar scarring and speak to them about the process and their satisfaction with results.

Red flags:

• Their story changes: As you discuss different treatment options, if they tend to change their mind easily, or agree with whatever you say, consider this a red flag. A confident, experienced surgeon will possess strong, unwavering opinions.
  • Your gut tells you "no": Trust your gut. If you just don't feel that the doctor is the right fit, trust that and move on. On the other hand, if you feel they are the perfect specialist for you, trust that feeling.