Good or Excellent Response
60%
Based on All Available Studies
Strength of Evidence
How to Get It
Have a dermatologist or plastic surgeon? Make an appointment to get this procedure done. Don't have a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon? See The American Academy of Dermatology Physician Database to find a dermatologist or the American Society of Plastic Surgeons to find a plastic surgeon.
Read All About Non-ablative Non-fractional Lasers
20.5%

Used Non-ablative Non-fractional Lasers? Rate It:

Choose from 1 to 5 stars
April 11, 2012

Pros:

None

Cons:

Hyperpigmentation

I have East Asian skin, and got the Smooth Beam laser treatment done 8 months ago to help with my mild acne scarring. The procedure was recommended by a dermatologist and performed by a medical nurse who explained the procedure every step of the way. She seemed nice and experienced. I followed aftercare instructions and stayed away from the sun. I did a bit of research and it seemed like a low risk procedure to do at the time. Now I am left with stripes of hyperpigmentation through the sides of my cheeks. In the past 8 months I have spent a lot of money trying to correct this problem with peels, microdermabrasion, Retinol, green light photorejuvination therapy, kojic acid, hydroquinone, and lumixyl. Some of them have helped to slightly lighten the dark lines, but I am still left with the hyperpigmentation. I originally got this procedure done because I wanted to wear less makeup, and now I have to wear more make up and cover the sides of my face with my hair. I feel extremely self-conscious, and cannot just jump into the pool during vacations anymore. I hide under the shade, and have to stay away from the sun at all times, or the lines will get even darker. Please please do not get lasers done on your face. It is just not worth the risk. If I can turn back the clock, I would never put myself in such a situation again. It is much better to be patient and take your time with less invasive methods. Even if the risks are low, it only takes one bad result to change your life forever. I did this to myself, and I have to live with it now.

31 user(s) found this helpful

November 12, 2010

Pros:

none

Cons:

expensive, do not work, made my skin worst

This treatment did not work for me. be careful , make sure you go to the right dermatology. i have black spots on my skin after the treatment and more scars. the doctor did not care at all.

54 user(s) found this helpful

November 25, 2009

Pros:

NONE! I have not seen any results from EPIONE in Beverly Hills coollaser treatment.. I had 2 treatments ($7900) rip-off..

Cons:

Hurts like hell especially around the eyelids and lips, swollen for 2 weeks and redness never goes away completely.

I had my first laser treatment in August and saw no results. They said you will see results in your second treatment. Little did I know this would be the worse mistake ever.. Even after using the numbing cream, it hurts and I look like shrek. I was swollen for about 3 weeks and the redness never goes away.. You are given or wait let me rephrase that, I had to buy $120 firm & fade cream (am cream and pm cream).. This cream is soppose to be very important in the results of the treatment. But, they have not been able to provide me with the morning cream till this day. Bottom Line I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS TREATMENT TO ANYONE.....worst mistake ever!...

39 user(s) found this helpful

March 11, 2009

Pros:

NONE!!!

Cons:

EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!!!

Do NOT do this!!! I had this done 4 months ago and am still going through depression from it. It took a lot for me to even get online to post this, as it makes me sick to my stomache to even think about it. I went to my derm. to see about clearing up some old acne scars that I had which werent that bad. He tells me about Smoothbeam and says it will definitely help with no side effects.BS!!! I suffered hyperpigmentation along with more scarring. Again, it has been 4 months and during this time I have gotten a new derm. who I have received 6 Microderms from and have been prescribed a Hydroquinone cream from. I must say that this has extremely helped me out, but the truth of the matter is that I am still in depression and she tells me that by the time thats its all said and done that we will only be able to correct about 75% of the damage. :( Even though this has been very hard for me, it has taught me a lesson....love who you are, dont worry about it. Hope this helps some of you

28 user(s) found this helpful

February 3, 2009

Pros:

Makes your skin really smooth for a little bit

Cons:

My skin was always extra oily the next day, and say no improvments at all. in fact i got some new spots on my face.

Look for another treatment if you have sever acne scarring, this has little to no effect

88 user(s) found this helpful

January 4, 2009

Pros:

easily done

Cons:

wasn't painful, did get additional scarring. i only had 2 small scars to fix. now i have scars all over small ones

I should of never had this done. I looked better before. Now I look like i had acne scarring all over my cheeks when I never did.

61 user(s) found this helpful

January 2, 2009

Cons:

This treatment did not work for me. It was extremely painful even though I had topical numbing cream applied before. After 1 treatment I had cystic break out. I looked like I had been attacked by bees. Since then my skin has worsened - more scars

This didn't work for me. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Is it possible that my skin has worsened? I seems to me that I have scars where I never did before this treatment.

60 user(s) found this helpful

May 14, 2008

Pros:

i had the cool touch

Cons:

i had a reaction i got cystic acne as a result of 4 sessions

i wont recommend it at all depend on the person an the ethnic and allergy

48 user(s) found this helpful

September 21, 2007

Pros:

It didn't work for me and it hurt

Cons:

Same

I wouldn't recommend it - save your money

39 user(s) found this helpful

September 14, 2007

Pros:

NONE

Cons:

Brought me out quickly in boils all over my cheeks where i had never had spots before i took it 7 months and no improvment it just got worse. doc put me on erothramycin to try calm it down as well as roaccutane but it didnt make a differnce.

i became depressed and forgetful due to it messing with chemicals in your brain. it thinned my skin so all the boils scars. doc told me after scars were helped form because of thinning procces. my friend who took it got liver problems. Dont do it it destroyed my skin and my confidence

Finding a Doctor

The right dermatologist can make a big difference to your patient experience and the success of your acne treatment plan. Here are the steps to find a dermatologist who is a good fit:

1. Use the search feature on the American Academy of Dermatology website to look for board-certified dermatologists in your area, and filter the search results for doctors with a special interest in treating acne.
  2. Read online patient reviews of any dermatologists you are considering and ask people you know whether they have any experience with these dermatologists.
  3. Do your research and go to your first appointment with questions prepared.
  4. Listen to what your gut feeling tells you once you see a dermatologist in person. If you are not completely comfortable, try a different dermatologist.

Finding a Doctor

Only a select few plastic surgeons specialize in acne scar revision surgery. Be certain to find a provider who specializes in acne scar repair and who is passionate and experienced in this area.

Be sure to:

• Look at before and after photos, the more the better, especially patients with similar scarring to your own.
  • Be realistic about results. Look for improvement, not a cure.

Questions to ask a potential scar revision specialist:

• Are you board certified? Be certain that they are board certified.
  • How long have you been performing these procedures? Normally, the more experience the better, however, some younger surgeons may be more on top of the latest procedures.
  • Can I speak to some of your other patients? Ask for references for several patients who had similar scarring and speak to them about the process and their satisfaction with results.

Red flags:

• Their story changes: As you discuss different treatment options, if they tend to change their mind easily, or agree with whatever you say, consider this a red flag. A confident, experienced surgeon will possess strong, unwavering opinions.
  • Your gut tells you "no": Trust your gut. If you just don't feel that the doctor is the right fit, trust that and move on. On the other hand, if you feel they are the perfect specialist for you, trust that feeling.