Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
monkieturtle

Microneedling RF vs subcision+derma filler for acne scars

Has anyone tried Vivace microneedling RF or subcision with Bellafill for acne scars? How was your experience? Which one is better and which one should I try first? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What kind of scars are you dealing with?

Typically for rolling/boxcars, you will want to do subcision first to release the tethers underneath your skin. For icepick scars, TCA/Phenol CROSS is the way to go.  RF needling should be one of the last modalities to use for resurfacing.  Both subcision and RF are excellent treatments individually.

As for Bellafill, I personally would not go this route due to the permanency of this filler.  Especially if it is your first filler; perhaps look into an HA filler first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, slide. said:

What kind of scars are you dealing with?

Typically for rolling/boxcars, you will want to do subcision first to release the tethers underneath your skin. For icepick scars, TCA/Phenol CROSS is the way to go.  RF needling should be one of the last modalities to use for resurfacing.  Both subcision and RF are excellent treatments individually.

As for Bellafill, I personally would not go this route due to the permanency of this filler.  Especially if it is your first filler; perhaps look into an HA filler first.

I have combination of boxcar, icepick and rolling scars. Which treatment do you think i should try first? I thought about HA filler but its only temporary and i dont have the financial stability to redo the filler every several months. That is why i think Bellafill would be better as it also stimulates collagen production.

Edited by monkieturtle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, monkieturtle said:

I have combination of boxcar, icepick and rolling scars. Which treatment do you think i should try first? I thought about HA filler but its only temporary and i dont have the financial stability to redo the filler every several months. That is why i think Bellafill would be better as it also stimulates collagen production.

Subcision+CROSS first.  Use a filler or chinese cupping after subcision.  

You are right regarding the HA filler, however just ensure you understand the potential complications with permanent fillers, especially if it is your first.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, slide. said:

Subcision+CROSS first.  Use a filler or chinese cupping after subcision.  

You are right regarding the HA filler, however just ensure you understand the potential complications with permanent fillers, especially if it is your first.  

So you think RF microneedling should do last? Is it because they don’t work for deeper scars? Can you explain to me. Thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, monkieturtle said:

So you think RF microneedling should do last? Is it because they don’t work for deeper scars? Can you explain to me. Thank you! 

Yes, you first need to do the manual work of subcision+filler/CROSS to lift the scars up as much as possible.  I do not know how severe your scarring is, but generally several treatments are recommended.  There was an analogy used in these forums that stated something along the lines of, 'we should fill the potholes before resurfacing the road'.  RF, in combination with other modalities like lasers and peels can help with smaller/shallower scars, but these should be done after everything is raised up as much as possible. Before I researched, I've done 3 sessions of RF and 1 session of fraxel and it did next to nothing for my scars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, slide. said:

Yes, you first need to do the manual work of subcision+filler/CROSS to lift the scars up as much as possible.  I do not know how severe your scarring is, but generally several treatments are recommended.  There was an analogy used in these forums that stated something along the lines of, 'we should fill the potholes before resurfacing the road'.  RF, in combination with other modalities like lasers and peels can help with smaller/shallower scars, but these should be done after everything is raised up as much as possible. Before I researched, I've done 3 sessions of RF and 1 session of fraxel and it did next to nothing for my scars.

These are the pictures of my scars. What do you think?

286B9F22-623B-4944-A9FE-2F47B61F39D5.jpeg

2F239A48-398F-41A9-9F38-7A166CC9E740.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you should still start with sub+filler and CROSS.  You will likely need multiple treatments.  If you send a PM to BA, he can recommend a more thorough treatment plan for you.

Just remember that treating scars is a marathon, not a race.  It will take time and you will need to give your body sufficient time to heal in between these treatments. I would also encourage you to research more on Bellafil and decide if this is the right choice for you.  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, slide. said:

Yes, you should still start with sub+filler and CROSS.  You will likely need multiple treatments.  If you send a PM to BA, he can recommend a more thorough treatment plan for you.

Just remember that treating scars is a marathon, not a race.  It will take time and you will need to give your body sufficient time to heal in between these treatments. I would also encourage you to research more on Bellafil and decide if this is the right choice for you.  Good luck!

Thank you for your suggestion! Who is BA? Is he a member of this forum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, monkieturtle said:

Thank you for your suggestion! Who is BA? Is he a member of this forum?

beautifulambition.  He's one of the Mods on the forum and can be reached via PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@monkieturtle agree with everything @slide. has said. Start with “manual” treatments before doing “energy” ones.

For RF microneedling, Lutronic’s Infini or Genius is the gold standard now. Go with a well-known clinician on this, as some doctors can falsely advertise the brand of device they are using.

Also, absolutely avoid permanent fillers like Bellafill as the complications are extremely hard to treat. I had complications from just HA fillers which ended up very difficult to treat.

Treatments to get good results will take more than a year, so be patient as there is no real quick fix.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×