Notifications
Clear all

Oil Cleansing Method - Ruined My Skin And Now I Can't Fix It No Matter What I Do! Please Help!

MemberMember
(@estheticianx)

Posted : 08/19/2013 9:55 pm

Never use oil on your face if you have oily skin, ever. Here's the thing about the oil cleansing method, its great for very dry skin types that don't experience breakouts. That's the thing. Many people say the oils are good for the skin, but then forget to mention what type of skin its good for. For oily/or break out prone skin, you want to use a basic cleanser such as "Cerave" for oily skin (there are 2 different types); you can get it at CVS or Walgreens for $15. Then use a pure clay mask once or twice a week (depending on how sensitive your skin is); such as "Bentonite Clay", "Aztec Healing Clay", or "French Green Clay", which you can find at an organic store or on Amazon. Don't go for the pre-mixed ones, from the Body Shop, or Sephora, etc... unless you are familiar with all skincare ingredients and what they do. As I said, the more simple the better. I know from years of experience. And if you feel like you need something topical on your skin during the daytime, try using a spot treatment just on the areas of inflammation, or a toner such as Witchhazel extract* (bacteria and inflammation killing); but make sure its alcohol and fragrance free. The brand "Thayers" makes a great one that also includes Cucumber Extract (very calming); can find on amazon or organic store as well. If you feel like you're skin is dry and needs some hydration after this--pure hylauronic acid. Unlike a moisturizer which leaves a layer of oil on your skin and clogs the pores (even if it says its oil free/the labels means nothing, anyone can label their products that)... It will hydrate your skin from the inside out instead. Once again, Amazon. But always start out with the minimum. If you want to learn more about skincare and ingredients look up: Paula's Choice. great information, but don't buy her products, all this great information and then her products completely contradict what she is preaching. (Unfortunately this happens way too often with skincare companies). Also, seeing an Esthetician is always a good idea:) because we do the work for you, just make sure they are legit beforehand, and that they know ingredients. always do your research. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@aly12345)

Posted : 08/26/2013 11:19 am

I use the proactiv BP! It's 2.5% just like they recommend.

Hey lady!

Checking in with you to see how your progress is! I'm still using the Proactiv with no avail :( I just don't get it! I was looking at pictures of myself only 2 years ago and my skin was excellent. I really wish I was able to see that back then :( and I was using Proactiv at that point! My skin has actually been great on the Proactiv up until the OCM. Now it's awful :/ I really hope you are finding success with the regimen! I am really contemplating using it but I don't know if I should just try a completely natural and organic route, or try the regimen.

Keep me posted and I'm really crossing my fingers for you! :) good luck!

How is everything going? Have you found anything that is helping?

MemberMember
(@purplesky)

Posted : 08/26/2013 4:36 pm

Oil cleansing methods are just crazy.. Please people, THINK. This can not and will not work for acne. Try the "Hot cloth water scrub" and "sandpaper" methods.

MemberMember
(@deevoo)

Posted : 08/26/2013 7:55 pm

What oils were you using?

Hello everyone!

Thank you for stopping by this post! This is my first post on Acne.org and I can't believe it's taken me this long. I need help guys, so badly. In about October 2012, I read about the Oil Cleansing Method and before doing any sort of thorough research, I began the method. I am very interested and involved in natural and homeopathic remedies so I was thrilled when I discovered this! Within two months, my skin was as awful as it's ever been. Bumps and cystic acne EVERYWHERE.

MemberMember
(@battle2011)

Posted : 08/27/2013 4:50 am

Same issue back then when I tried to OCM, or the caveman regimen. What I did back then was to use a regular acne soap (neutrogena I believe) and pure aloe vera gel to soothe the skin. It helped, but the process took a good 2/3 weeks. Hang in there. It will get better, and it is not permanent at all. Your skin might already be better, since you've posted. Any update?

MemberMember
(@stephzoars)

Posted : 09/02/2013 2:05 pm

AGH!! I've had the exact same issue. I used ocm somewhat regularly (ie. more or less every day) back in May and the beginning of June. I noticed more and more clogged looking pores around my mouth but I guess I figured it would heal up after the purported "purging" period. Anyway, eventually I stopped because I realised it was just getting worse (about a month ago). Right now I'm left with the clogged pores (thankfully only in my mouth area and not all over), some of which have become inflamed and are super red and awful sad.png

I ordered Paula's Choice CLEAR acne kit. I'm hoping it will help me out.... Meantime I'm using a mild cleanser (SpectroJel) and a Kiehl's clay masque every morning. I'm pretty sure the masque helps with my redness, and I guess patience is key here, but I'm having a lot of confidence issues because of this awful mistake.

As much as it comforts me to know others are going through similar issues from ocm, I'm sorry it's had to affect anyone. My skin was more or less clear before I tried it, and now it's worse than ever and I'm spending more time worrying and more money treating it than I wish I had to...

Please tell me how the Paula's Choice clear kit works for you!! I'm waiting for my package at the moment. Her ingredients are awesome! I got the regular strength, how about you? It says it last for two weeks.. but I don't know if that's enough time to let it do it's thing..

I used EVOO for the OCM and man do I regret it too. That was a year ago, it does calm down but I'm not going to lie and say it's a fast recovery. I think it messed me up for months.

But I can apply grapeseed oil to my skin with NO problems whatsoever. Who knows, everyone is different but I would shy away from any comedogenic ingredients, no matter what concentrate.

When in doubt... do a skin patch test right near your underarm or under your neck for a week.

MemberMember
(@kalinka)

Posted : 09/02/2013 6:52 pm

AGH!! I've had the exact same issue. I used ocm somewhat regularly (ie. more or less every day) back in May and the beginning of June. I noticed more and more clogged looking pores around my mouth but I guess I figured it would heal up after the purported "purging" period. Anyway, eventually I stopped because I realised it was just getting worse (about a month ago). Right now I'm left with the clogged pores (thankfully only in my mouth area and not all over), some of which have become inflamed and are super red and awful sad.png

I ordered Paula's Choice CLEAR acne kit. I'm hoping it will help me out.... Meantime I'm using a mild cleanser (SpectroJel) and a Kiehl's clay masque every morning. I'm pretty sure the masque helps with my redness, and I guess patience is key here, but I'm having a lot of confidence issues because of this awful mistake.

As much as it comforts me to know others are going through similar issues from ocm, I'm sorry it's had to affect anyone. My skin was more or less clear before I tried it, and now it's worse than ever and I'm spending more time worrying and more money treating it than I wish I had to...

Please tell me how the Paula's Choice clear kit works for you!! I'm waiting for my package at the moment. Her ingredients are awesome! I got the regular strength, how about you? It says it last for two weeks.. but I don't know if that's enough time to let it do it's thing..

I used EVOO for the OCM and man do I regret it too. That was a year ago, it does calm down but I'm not going to lie and say it's a fast recovery. I think it messed me up for months.

But I can apply grapeseed oil to my skin with NO problems whatsoever. Who knows, everyone is different but I would shy away from any comedogenic ingredients, no matter what concentrate.

When in doubt... do a skin patch test right near your underarm or under your neck for a week.

The PC kit is very good. I got the regular strength as well. The benzoyl peroxide is what I have been using most of the three items. I've had it for a month and I still have quite a lot of product left, and I do use a good amount of it day and night so I'd expect it to last longer than two weeks.

To be honest, I have been a little afraid to use the toner very frequently because I did notice slight purging with it, but these were always very small spots that dried up and disappeared within a couple of days.

The ridiculous clogged pores from the OCM disaster are gone! It took about a month to clear them, but they're definitely gone. Now left with crazy red marks, though.

MemberMember
(@jennvi77)

Posted : 09/05/2013 1:20 pm

I tried the OCM and it was the worst thing I ever did to my face. I kept waiting it out thinking that it was the purging stage etc. My skin kept getting worse until I finally stopped. After I stopped my skin continued to get worse and worse. I had cysts forming along my jaw line, cheeks, temples, forehead, chin. It was spreading everywhere. I ended up in the dermatologist's office as well as my PCP. I tried 3 different antibiotics for a period of 6 months and nothing helped me!!! Prior to OCM my skin only had an occasional blemish and I used proactiv daily to maintain my good complexion. This was a nightmare for me. I too stopped going out, became depressed and cried daily because there was no makeup that could cover the huge cysts on my face. My last resort was Accutane because I literally was not living my life anymore. I stayed inside, missed family gatherings and was just plain miserable. Within one month of using Accutane my skin started to clear. To me it was a miracle for me. I used it for a total of 5 months. I have been off Accutane now for over 4 months and my skin continues to heal from all the damage. I no longer have cysts or blemishes. I do have some tiny scars that I see but no one else notices. The experience from me start OCM to ending Accutane took a year! What a horrible experience to go through. For anyone that was as terrible as I was try Accutane because it was my miracle for myself. I finally am the old me again.

MemberMember
(@nbritton)

Posted : 09/30/2013 4:46 pm

It's not oil that causes acne, don't use this method. First and foremost you need to kill the bacteria before addressing any dermatological issues, if your case is serious I'd recommend consulting with a medical professional for a course of antibiotics.

A bar of PanOxyl is all you need to clean your face, lather it up with your hands and then gently rub your face with your hands; the key is to not aggravate the skin with abrasive motions. Harsh cleansers are not necessary, in fact the less you mess with your skin the better. If you don't have access to a medical professional and don't have the knowledge to make your own antibiotic cream several products are available over the counter. The best over the counter solution I've found is the one recommended by acne.org, and that is copious amounts of benzoyl peroxide. This kills bacteria and peels the skin, peeling is a good thing as it removes the outer dead layers of skin. Next apply moisturizer, I like Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion; do not ever use hand or body lotion on your face, if the label says non-comedogenic and fragrance free it should be safe to use on the face. That's it, oh, keep your mouth clean, wash it out with anti-septic mouth wash a couple times a day, and don't touch your face.

Best of luck.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 10/06/2013 3:21 pm

I believe I just messed my face up too. I used castor oil. I only used it twice, two days apart, but now my skin has become a carpet of bumps. It's worse than it's ever been. I hope that since I only used it twice, the recovery will be short....I'm on tretinoin, and I'll use a BP wash and maybe a salicylic acid wash, see how that goes...

MemberMember
(@user354689)

Posted : 10/08/2013 10:48 pm

i didn't stay with the oil cleansing method for too long when i experimented with it.

yet, i think if folks are looking into this type of cleansing method, they may want to go with the oils that are low on the comedogenic rating scale. coconut oil is listed as 4 (fairly high), which means its something that would definitely cause breakouts for those who are prone to them.

smarie23 liked
MemberMember
(@smarie23)

Posted : 10/22/2013 3:18 pm

So sorry to hear that the OCM is not working out for you cry.gif

This is a general question for all of you who posted about bad experiences with this: did you all use coconut oil or jojoba oil?

I recently started doing this in the mornings (not in the evening as I found that it didn't rid my face of excess makeup). I used 100% organic argan oil for this, and haven't noticed any major changes except perhaps that my skin feels slightly less dry. I use the argan oil together with Dan's regimen. But all your posts about oil causing heavy breakups are kinda scaring me here, as the last thing I want i cystic acne. (I believe I've had my fair share and then some of that, ugh!)

So, if you could please say which oils you'd recommend that people avoid, I'd be very thankful!

Hope you'll all soon be clear of the damage caused by OCM!

Hi there Zophy! So sorry for my late response, my account was acting so strange and I have been unable to sign in until now! Since it's been a few months, did you end up continuing with your OCM? I'm curious as to how it has worked for you. Just in my personal opinion from my own life-changing experience with OCM, I would HIGHLY suggest to try something else. OCM changed my skin completely and it will never be able to go back to how it once was. I had the absolute worst breakouts of my life-as in random people on the street would come up to me to offer suggestions on how to fix it. I've never been so embarrassed or humiliated as when that happened to me. Not only were the breakouts terrible, but the scars that I have now have depleted my self-confidence. I have hyperpigmentation, rolling and icepick scars now. The texture of my skin is just awful and if I could go back in time and never do OCM, I would do that in a heartbeat as this is probably the biggest regret of my life so far.

I believe the combination that I used initially was 2/3 olive oil and 1/3 castor oil. I eventually replaced olive oil with coconut oil because of all the amazing properties in coconut oil. Well, those amazing properties are much better ingested than applied topically (for people with acne-prone skin). I think the OCM success stories are from people who have clear but oily skin. In doing my own research, I have discovered that your skin really freaks out when that much oil is constantly applied as it confuses the natural oil production process-an element that is key for battling acne and preserving skin in general.

Keep me posted with how things are going for you! I promise to be active on this site from now on now that my account is fixed :) Wishing you the best!

Anyone reading this, PLEASE don't try this method!! I guarantee that if you're looking to improve your skin, there are a million different and more beneficial routes to go than the OCM!

MemberMember
(@smarie23)

Posted : 10/22/2013 3:37 pm

On 7/22/2013 at 7:46 AM, Sheryn M said:

hi there smarie23! I feel for you. There are really times when we try treatments used by others that just don't work for us. I had experienced the same situation a few months ago and i only got a relief when i used my current regimen. I first wash my face with buzzy's essential bar, tome using dickinson's witch hazel astringent and moisturize with emu oil. This regimen worked well. I still have occasional breakouts but this regimen can calm them. You will see the results after a few days! The toner and the emu oil is available locally but for the soap, it can only be found at *Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules*. I cannot skip on the soap because it really helps with my breakouts.

Hey there Sheryn M! It really sounds like this Buzzy's line is something I should look into! Yes, the process of discovering what works for your own skin is frustrating, exhausting, and often disappointing. It's so easy to get the idea that "Oh, their skin resembles mine so maybe this regimen will work for me!". That was the exact mindset when I found OCM. I saw a picture of a woman who's skin reminded me of my own. After reading her success story, along with many others, I truly believed it would work for me. This lesson was well learned! I will NEVER make assumptions like that again. My acne is almost gone now but I'm left with residual and deep scarring and it has really affected me emotionally. I hope to do everything I can to fix it and find solace someday. I would never wish this on my worst enemy which is part of the reason why I started this board was to warn others about the detrimental results I've had from this process. Again, everyone's skin is different but I really think there are a million different regimen's that should be attempted before this!

Hope all is well for you and thank you so much for your suggestion about Buzzy's! I'll keep you posted if I try their products! :)

MemberMember
(@smarie23)

Posted : 10/22/2013 4:24 pm

I know it's so frustrating! I used to leave the house without makeup all the time. I even quit my gym because I don't want to sweat with makeup on but I won't dare leave the house without it. Ugh!! I've used Proactiv since I was 16 and my skin was always great but it has done nothing for me since OCM destroyed my face. I quit using it altogether. I'm following the regimen religiously now. I am using over the counter products that are on the list of products aporoved for the regimen. My skin is getting better for sure. I still get new pimples daily but they are getting less. And my skin is MUCH less inflamed. I have some hope at least! I'll keep you posted and please keep me posted as well!

Hello soul sister!! I'm SO sorry for not being on this site recently. I could not log into my account to save my life and I was finally able to get it straightened out today!

I read your posts that I missed and it seems like things are continuing to look up for you! I'm really happy for you!! Are you still on the regimen and doing well?

I actually decided to go a different route...I have always been interested in switching to an all-natural approach (hence the attempt at OCM) so I figured that I would try it because I really have nothing else left to lose. My mindset is that if it doesn't work and I break out badly, then I will know for sure that my skin needs some sort of inorganic chemicals or whatnot (like BP) in order to get better. I purchased some products from the Acure skin care line and have really liked the products that I got. You should google them (since I can't include a link) and check out their acne products! Their ingredients are amazing and all fair trade which is pretty cool. They make my skin feel GOOD! You know how Proactiv just strips your skin of anything beneficial really? These products keep your skin moisturized but not oily at all. The oil controlling moisturizer that I got is AMAZING. I spent about $15 on each of the 4 products I got and they last for months and months-a lot longer than Proactiv products! I purchased an exfoliant for $15 or $19 and all you need to use is a pea-size drop because the ingredients are so amazing and as we know, you don't want to scratch up your face with too much exfoliant so this bottle could literally last you a year or longer! One thing that really made me switch to this line was thinking about the quality of my skin as I get older. The harshness of Proactiv and similar products made me wonder what my skin will look like in 10-20 years after daily stripping of moisture and other essential things. I want to keep my skin nicely moisturized because honestly, I want to age well! Not like I'm old whatsoever (22) but when I look at pictures of women that have aged well, it's because the quality of their skin has been well maintained.

Since my skin has depleted my self-confidence and has been keeping me home all the time, I realized that my life was not going to get better until I get this under control. I have been looking into chemical peels for a while because I have TERRIBLE scars from the OCM. I have deep rolling and icepick scars, as well as terrible hyperpigmentation all over my face. Don't even get me started on pore size! Aside from the acne, it's the scars that have really affected me emotionally. I simply don't feel beautiful in any way. I'm not saying I'm a knockout but I think that every person is beautiful in their own way but I just don't feel like that about myself as I once did.

When I got a break from college about two months ago, I went back home and called my doctor to inquire about chemical peels. Kaiser Permanente is my insurance provider and they have a Cosmetic Center for things like chemical peels, botox, lip injections, nose jobs, etc. These services aren't covered by insurance but they are the same price as anywhere else you could go and you know you're in good hands. I'm not interested in anything but the chemical peel and I felt very confident knowing that it was going to be done by someone at Kaiser rather than some stand-alone cosmetic center. I have previously paid $600 to go to a stand-alone cosmetic center in Beverly Hills (sounds totally legitimate, right?) and the nurses told me the complete INCORRECT way of taking care of my skin after the procedure so that $600 went down the drain. I ended up getting the 30% TCA peel from Kaiser which consists of a bit of a recovery process (nothing painful, just dramatic peeling skin like the worst sunburn you can imagine) but I was staying at my father's place so I didn't have to go out of the house too much like that. Now, the chemical peels are definitely not a miracle worker. The nurses told me that this would not get rid of my scars, but getting a set of peels could help. The first peel did reduce the depth of some scars very minutely but hey, it's some improvement! Aside from the scars, it seems to have seriously improved my acne. I still get breakouts on my jawline (hormonal acne) but I'm hoping to balance that with a clean diet, vitamins, and exercise. Aside from my jaw, I have like one small pimple that pops up randomly but it goes away pretty dang quickly which is nice!

The peel was $250 for a full face 30% TCA chemical peel. To me, that was a pretty average and reasonable price for what you get. I'm relatively happy with the results and I plan on getting this chemical peel every 2-3 months until I see dramatic improvement. I'm more than willing to spend that kind of money to see actual results and improve my self-confidence. I would really recommend to anyone on here to try one of these peels out. If you take care of your skin as directed after the procedure, you are guaranteed to see some sort of results which is awesome! I'm now back at home living life and using my Acure products until I go home for the holidays and get my next peel.

Sorry for my long post but it's been a while since we were able to catch up so I wanted to give you the full run-down of everything :) fill me in with everything going on with you too! I'm so interested to know how things have been going for you and I really hope you're having success too!!

I know I updated yesterday but I have to tell you today is the best my face has looked since this whole OCM nightmare began! I have a ton of red marks from the acne but I currently only have 3 actual pimples. My face was COVERED in acne. I even felt comfortable enough to wear my hair up today because I didn't feel the need to hide behind it! I really encourage you to try the regimen. Keep me posted smile.png

How are your red marks? Or, what do they look like?

For me, the places where I had very big cyst-like spots have really red marks, and not just small circular ones, but big smudge-y looking ones, if that makes sense. Anyway, the skin is definitely flatter than the horrific bumpy mess that was there before, but it's left that area of my face so red and nasty. I'm hoping I haven't done some damage to it some how... making the redness so much worse than usual.

Hey there SyllaCrostics! I hear you on the red, blotchy marks!! If you look above and see my response to alisonp27, I wrote that partially for you as well because it sounds like you might be able to find some solace and get rid of some of the scarring with a chemical peel (or a set like I'm doing). I know they're not exactly cheap but they are something that I'm more than happy to save for because you will see results, even just minor results, and anything helps at this point in my opinion!

How are you doing as well with your acne and scarring? It's been a while since I've been able to get on here so I'd love to hear what's been going on with you recently and if you've been able to find some solutions as well! We're all in this struggle together and I'm really wishing the best for you!! :) Keep me posted when you get the chance!

MemberMember
(@smarie23)

Posted : 10/22/2013 4:42 pm

Never use oil on your face if you have oily skin, ever. Here's the thing about the oil cleansing method, its great for very dry skin types that don't experience breakouts. That's the thing. Many people say the oils are good for the skin, but then forget to mention what type of skin its good for. For oily/or break out prone skin, you want to use a basic cleanser such as "Cerave" for oily skin (there are 2 different types); you can get it at CVS or Walgreens for $15. Then use a pure clay mask once or twice a week (depending on how sensitive your skin is); such as "Bentonite Clay", "Aztec Healing Clay", or "French Green Clay", which you can find at an organic store or on Amazon. Don't go for the pre-mixed ones, from the Body Shop, or Sephora, etc... unless you are familiar with all skincare ingredients and what they do. As I said, the more simple the better. I know from years of experience. And if you feel like you need something topical on your skin during the daytime, try using a spot treatment just on the areas of inflammation, or a toner such as Witchhazel extract* (bacteria and inflammation killing); but make sure its alcohol and fragrance free. The brand "Thayers" makes a great one that also includes Cucumber Extract (very calming); can find on amazon or organic store as well. If you feel like you're skin is dry and needs some hydration after this--pure hylauronic acid. Unlike a moisturizer which leaves a layer of oil on your skin and clogs the pores (even if it says its oil free/the labels means nothing, anyone can label their products that)... It will hydrate your skin from the inside out instead. Once again, Amazon. But always start out with the minimum. If you want to learn more about skincare and ingredients look up: Paula's Choice. great information, but don't buy her products, all this great information and then her products completely contradict what she is preaching. (Unfortunately this happens way too often with skincare companies). Also, seeing an Esthetician is always a good idea:) because we do the work for you, just make sure they are legit beforehand, and that they know ingredients. always do your research. Good luck!

Great great great advice!!!! I WISH I had done this instead of OCM and I hope that anyone contemplating OCM can read your post first and try that. I have the Aztec Clay and it's AMAZING! It sucks up everything on your face without a doubt! I do have a question for you....I used the Aztec Healing Clay mask (the one in the tub from Amazon and Whole Foods) and the last two times I used it, it made me breakout incredibly bad. I know because of how strong it is that it will pull things to the top of your skin and purge everything, but the pimples just remained there. My skin was fully clear (the last time I used it was maybe 8 months ago) and I used the mask, got a ton of breakouts and then couldn't get rid of them for a LONG time-longer than ever before. I'm not sure what really changed. I have always used half water, half Bragg's ACV to mix the clay so I didn't really change anything on my end. Do you have any advice or recommendations? I'd love to be able to use the mask again without being scared out of my mind that it will ruin my skin!

Also, what's your opinion of your skincare recommendations above versus using a natural skincare line? I took a break from using my favorite Acure skincare products when I got a TCA peel and switched to Cetaphil and Aquaphor because as I'm sure you know, you have to be very gentle and moisturize excessively after the peel. It's been about 6 weeks since the peel and I'm still using Cetaphil and a light layer of Aquaphor because I'm waiting to speak to the nurse about switching back to my normal products. My skin is actually still relatively clear on Cetaphil and Aquaphor, although I'm sure the aquaphor is getting to be too heavy because I'm still breaking out on my jawline and right under my earlobes. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond to this board! All the input I've been getting has truly been invaluable.

MemberMember
(@smarie23)

Posted : 10/22/2013 5:02 pm

What oils were you using?

Hello everyone!

Thank you for stopping by this post! This is my first post on Acne.org and I can't believe it's taken me this long. I need help guys, so badly. In about October 2012, I read about the Oil Cleansing Method and before doing any sort of thorough research, I began the method. I am very interested and involved in natural and homeopathic remedies so I was thrilled when I discovered this! Within two months, my skin was as awful as it's ever been. Bumps and cystic acne EVERYWHERE.

I initially used 2/3 olive oil and 1/3 castor, then maybe 3 weeks later I replaced the olive oil with coconut oil. All of that was such a big mistake, haha. Apparently those are the worst offenders as far as comedogenic products go!

Same issue back then when I tried to OCM, or the caveman regimen. What I did back then was to use a regular acne soap (neutrogena I believe) and pure aloe vera gel to soothe the skin. It helped, but the process took a good 2/3 weeks. Hang in there. It will get better, and it is not permanent at all. Your skin might already be better, since you've posted. Any update?

Hey there Battle2011! I apologize for not updating recently. As I've mentioned above, I could not access my account for the life of me and just today was able to resolve this! I posted a thorough update above as a response to alisonp27 if you would like to hear about the progress I've been making.

I actually forgot to mention though that I did look into the Caveman's Regimen as well because I heard that it helps to balance out your skin's pH after utilizing all of these different acne products on the market now. This time-before I started any sort of new regimen-I did some thorough research. I found that a lot of people who successfully tried the Caveman's method ended up with some sort of dry skin condition (I'm blanking on the name). I knew I could not let that happen to my skin after everything with the OCM but I was interested in the idea of it so I tailored it to work for me. Instead of going 30 days without washing my face, I went maybe a week or a week and a half without washing my face, then would gently wash it and moisturize, and try it again. I did not develop a dry skin condition, nor did it help with breakouts (probably made them worse actually) but I felt like it helped to get my skin back to a relatively normal pH after everything that happened. I was able to begin using Acure skin care products and actually see some good results. Now (after my TCA chemical peel as well) my skin stays relatively clear using Cetaphil which is pretty cool! I'm sure it's for the most part due to the chemical peel but I like to think that I did my skin's pH a little good by not washing it for a week at a time for a couple weeks.

Did you purchase a bottle of Aloe Vera gel or did you extract your own from an aloe leaf? Just a little FYI in case you didn't know, I found HUGE aloe leaves for sale at Whole Foods for $1.99 and you can get a whole lot of the pure gel just from that. I'm sure you already know that though :) I like putting the aloe in smoothies and stuff as I'm a little scared to put it on my face, haha. I just have a feeling that it wouldn't be the right substance for my own skin but I know a lot of people that love it!

MemberMember
(@kalinka)

Posted : 10/22/2013 5:17 pm

On 10/23/2013 at 5:24 AM, smarie23 said:
On 8/7/2013 at 1:20 AM, alisonp27 said:

I know it's so frustrating! I used to leave the house without makeup all the time. I even quit my gym because I don't want to sweat with makeup on but I won't dare leave the house without it. Ugh!! I've used Proactiv since I was 16 and my skin was always great but it has done nothing for me since OCM destroyed my face. I quit using it altogether. I'm following the regimen religiously now. I am using over the counter products that are on the list of products aporoved for the regimen. My skin is getting better for sure. I still get new pimples daily but they are getting less. And my skin is MUCH less inflamed. I have some hope at least! I'll keep you posted and please keep me posted as well!

Hello soul sister!! I'm SO sorry for not being on this site recently. I could not log into my account to save my life and I was finally able to get it straightened out today!

I read your posts that I missed and it seems like things are continuing to look up for you! I'm really happy for you!! Are you still on the regimen and doing well?

I actually decided to go a different route...I have always been interested in switching to an all-natural approach (hence the attempt at OCM) so I figured that I would try it because I really have nothing else left to lose. My mindset is that if it doesn't work and I break out badly, then I will know for sure that my skin needs some sort of inorganic chemicals or whatnot (like BP) in order to get better. I purchased some products from the Acure skin care line and have really liked the products that I got. You should google them (since I can't include a link) and check out their acne products! Their ingredients are amazing and all fair trade which is pretty cool. They make my skin feel GOOD! You know how Proactiv just strips your skin of anything beneficial really? These products keep your skin moisturized but not oily at all. The oil controlling moisturizer that I got is AMAZING. I spent about $15 on each of the 4 products I got and they last for months and months-a lot longer than Proactiv products! I purchased an exfoliant for $15 or $19 and all you need to use is a pea-size drop because the ingredients are so amazing and as we know, you don't want to scratch up your face with too much exfoliant so this bottle could literally last you a year or longer! One thing that really made me switch to this line was thinking about the quality of my skin as I get older. The harshness of Proactiv and similar products made me wonder what my skin will look like in 10-20 years after daily stripping of moisture and other essential things. I want to keep my skin nicely moisturized because honestly, I want to age well! Not like I'm old whatsoever (22) but when I look at pictures of women that have aged well, it's because the quality of their skin has been well maintained.

Since my skin has depleted my self-confidence and has been keeping me home all the time, I realized that my life was not going to get better until I get this under control. I have been looking into chemical peels for a while because I have TERRIBLE scars from the OCM. I have deep rolling and icepick scars, as well as terrible hyperpigmentation all over my face. Don't even get me started on pore size! Aside from the acne, it's the scars that have really affected me emotionally. I simply don't feel beautiful in any way. I'm not saying I'm a knockout but I think that every person is beautiful in their own way but I just don't feel like that about myself as I once did.

When I got a break from college about two months ago, I went back home and called my doctor to inquire about chemical peels. Kaiser Permanente is my insurance provider and they have a Cosmetic Center for things like chemical peels, botox, lip injections, nose jobs, etc. These services aren't covered by insurance but they are the same price as anywhere else you could go and you know you're in good hands. I'm not interested in anything but the chemical peel and I felt very confident knowing that it was going to be done by someone at Kaiser rather than some stand-alone cosmetic center. I have previously paid $600 to go to a stand-alone cosmetic center in Beverly Hills (sounds totally legitimate, right?) and the nurses told me the complete INCORRECT way of taking care of my skin after the procedure so that $600 went down the drain. I ended up getting the 30% TCA peel from Kaiser which consists of a bit of a recovery process (nothing painful, just dramatic peeling skin like the worst sunburn you can imagine) but I was staying at my father's place so I didn't have to go out of the house too much like that. Now, the chemical peels are definitely not a miracle worker. The nurses told me that this would not get rid of my scars, but getting a set of peels could help. The first peel did reduce the depth of some scars very minutely but hey, it's some improvement! Aside from the scars, it seems to have seriously improved my acne. I still get breakouts on my jawline (hormonal acne) but I'm hoping to balance that with a clean diet, vitamins, and exercise. Aside from my jaw, I have like one small pimple that pops up randomly but it goes away pretty dang quickly which is nice!

The peel was $250 for a full face 30% TCA chemical peel. To me, that was a pretty average and reasonable price for what you get. I'm relatively happy with the results and I plan on getting this chemical peel every 2-3 months until I see dramatic improvement. I'm more than willing to spend that kind of money to see actual results and improve my self-confidence. I would really recommend to anyone on here to try one of these peels out. If you take care of your skin as directed after the procedure, you are guaranteed to see some sort of results which is awesome! I'm now back at home living life and using my Acure products until I go home for the holidays and get my next peel.

Sorry for my long post but it's been a while since we were able to catch up so I wanted to give you the full run-down of everything [Edited image out] fill me in with everything going on with you too! I'm so interested to know how things have been going for you and I really hope you're having success too!!

On 8/9/2013 at 12:33 AM, syllacrostics said:

>

On 8/8/2013 at 5:35 AM, alisonp27 said:

I know I updated yesterday but I have to tell you today is the best my face has looked since this whole OCM nightmare began! I have a ton of red marks from the acne but I currently only have 3 actual pimples. My face was COVERED in acne. I even felt comfortable enough to wear my hair up today because I didn't feel the need to hide behind it! I really encourage you to try the regimen. Keep me posted [Edited image out]

For me, the places where I had very big cyst-like spots have really red marks, and not just small circular ones, but big smudge-y looking ones, if that makes sense. Anyway, the skin is definitely flatter than the horrific bumpy mess that was there before, but it's left that area of my face so red and nasty. I'm hoping I haven't done some damage to it some how... making the redness so much worse than usual.

Hey there SyllaCrostics! I hear you on the red, blotchy marks!! If you look above and see my response to alisonp27, I wrote that partially for you as well because it sounds like you might be able to find some solace and get rid of some of the scarring with a chemical peel (or a set like I'm doing). I know they're not exactly cheap but they are something that I'm more than happy to save for because you will see results, even just minor results, and anything helps at this point in my opinion!

How are you doing as well with your acne and scarring? It's been a while since I've been able to get on here so I'd love to hear what's been going on with you recently and if you've been able to find some solutions as well! We're all in this struggle together and I'm really wishing the best for you!! smile.png Keep me posted when you get the chance!

Hi smarie! I'm glad to know you're getting better! :)

My skin is a lot better than it was in the summer. I've had some setbacks but it's finally staying clear now! :D I feel a world of difference in my confidence. My red marks have faded considerably, but they're still pretty noticeable.

Recently, witch hazel has seemed to be helping a lot with them. I've learned they are mostly erythema rather than hyper-pigmentation, and the witch hazel is calming to them. I also use a lactic acid peel occasionally to help with the more brown spots. I'm lucky and incredibly grateful for the fact that none of my acne left me with any indented scarring.

Today I got my hair cut which is a huge step forward for me self-conscious wise.. not only can I not hide behind my hair as much, but having someone that close to my head, my hair being pinned up.. sitting by a window on a busy street (!!) .. these are all things that would have had me running to hide not all that long ago.

Your post made me smile because compared with your op at the top of this thread, you seem a lot happier! Congrats on the success and I hope you see continued improvement! Keep us posted! :D xx

MemberMember
(@smarie23)

Posted : 10/22/2013 5:32 pm

On 10/23/2013 at 6:17 AM, syllacrostics said:

Sorry for my long post but it's been a while since we were able to catch up so I wanted to give you the full run-down of everything [Edited image out] fill me in with everything going on with you too! I'm so interested to know how things have been going for you and I really hope you're having success too!!

On 8/9/2013 at 12:33 AM, syllacrostics said:

>>>

I know I updated yesterday but I have to tell you today is the best my face has looked since this whole OCM nightmare began! I have a ton of red marks from the acne but I currently only have 3 actual pimples. My face was COVERED in acne. I even felt comfortable enough to wear my hair up today because I didn't feel the need to hide behind it! I really encourage you to try the regimen. Keep me posted [Edited image out]

How are you doing as well with your acne and scarring? It's been a while since I've been able to get on here so I'd love to hear what's been going on with you recently and if you've been able to find some solutions as well! We're all in this struggle together and I'm really wishing the best for you!! [Edited image out] Keep me posted when you get the chance!

Hi smarie! I'm glad to know you're getting better! [Edited image out]

My skin is a lot better than it was in the summer. I've had some setbacks but it's finally staying clear now! [Edited image out] I feel a world of difference in my confidence. My red marks have faded considerably, but they're still pretty noticeable.

Recently, witch hazel has seemed to be helping a lot with them. I've learned they are mostly erythema rather than hyper-pigmentation, and the witch hazel is calming to them. I also use a lactic acid peel occasionally to help with the more brown spots. I'm lucky and incredibly grateful for the fact that none of my acne left me with any indented scarring.

Today I got my hair cut which is a huge step forward for me self-conscious wise.. not only can I not hide behind my hair as much, but having someone that close to my head, my hair being pinned up.. sitting by a window on a busy street (!!) .. these are all things that would have had me running to hide not all that long ago.

Your post made me smile because compared with your op at the top of this thread, you seem a lot happier! Congrats on the success and I hope you see continued improvement! Keep us posted! [Edited image out] xx

Wowza!!! Sounds like you are doing AMAZING!!! I'm SO happy for you [Edited image out] I have a toner with witch hazel and red tea so I'm hoping I have some similar results as you! I've actually looked into some of those lactic acid peels too because they sound awesome....do you do yours yourself at home? What kind did you purchase and how do you use it? Also, how did you know that you had erythema instead of hyperpigmentation? Sorry for all the questions but it really sounds like you've made AMAZING progress! How awesome!

Oh geez, I know what you mean about the haircut [Edited image out] (haha there were so many great emoticons to use for my feeling about that).The natural light, washing of the hair meaning washing off your makeup, etc.....yeah I'm not looking forward to that!

MemberMember
(@kalinka)

Posted : 10/22/2013 5:44 pm

On 10/23/2013 at 6:32 AM, smarie23 said:
On 10/23/2013 at 6:17 AM, syllacrostics said:

Sorry for my long post but it's been a while since we were able to catch up so I wanted to give you the full run-down of everything [Edited image out] fill me in with everything going on with you too! I'm so interested to know how things have been going for you and I really hope you're having success too!!

On Invalid Date at NaN:NaN PM, syllacrostics said:

>>>>

lockquote>

How are you doing as well with your acne and scarring? It's been a while since I've been able to get on here so I'd love to hear what's been going on with you recently and if you've been able to find some solutions as well! We're all in this struggle together and I'm really wishing the best for you!! [Edited image out] Keep me posted when you get the chance!

Hi smarie! I'm glad to know you're getting better! [Edited image out]

My skin is a lot better than it was in the summer. I've had some setbacks but it's finally staying clear now! [Edited image out] I feel a world of difference in my confidence. My red marks have faded considerably, but they're still pretty noticeable.

Your post made me smile because compared with your op at the top of this thread, you seem a lot happier! Congrats on the success and I hope you see continued improvement! Keep us posted! [Edited image out] xx

Wowza!!! Sounds like you are doing AMAZING!!! I'm SO happy for you [Edited image out] I have a toner with witch hazel and red tea so I'm hoping I have some similar results as you! I've actually looked into some of those lactic acid peels too because they sound awesome....do you do yours yourself at home? What kind did you purchase and how do you use it? Also, how did you know that you had erythema instead of hyperpigmentation? Sorry for all the questions but it really sounds like you've made AMAZING progress! How awesome!

Oh geez, I know what you mean about the haircut [Edited image out] (haha there were so many great emoticons to use for my feeling about that).The natural light, washing of the hair meaning washing off your makeup, etc.....yeah I'm not looking forward to that!

I use Makeup Artist's Choice lactic acid. It comes in a kit, with a PH prep solution (basically just witch hazel) and the actual acid. It has liquorice extract in it which is supposed to be good for lightening, I think. I use the 40%. It is super easy to do and for me only stings a little bit.. it's definitely way gentler than TCA so I'm sure I'd be no problem for you. I apply it and leave it on for 5-10 minutes. It makes things look redder for a while but that goes down soon and it seems to be gently and slowly reducing marks. Considering the hell my skin has been through, I think gentle is the way to go! [Edited image out]

Basically I searched and searched and searched for answers about my red marks. I came upon this thread on the site that was talking about erythema and how red marks are often that instead of hyperpigmentation which typically is brown marks. It's more common in people with lighter skin tones, I think. The way to test if yours are erythema is to press down on them with your finger.. if they fade away with the pressure and then show back up again after you take your finger off, it's erythema. It is something like dilated blood vessels that your body's way of healing injured areas. I guess because the trauma of long lasting cystic acne means the dilation stays around longer.

I think I described that pretty badly, haha. [Edited image out] If you search erythema on the boards, someone made a post in the older thread about the mechanics of it all.

It's supposed to fade naturally with time, but I'm impatient.

With all the research and finding out about dark spot removal, I'm going to be looking young well into my 50s! haha :P

MemberMember
(@aly12345)

Posted : 10/24/2013 11:41 am

Hi! I'm so glad you're back! I've wondered how you were doing many times over the last few months. So glad to hear you're finding success!! That's great news!

I have had huge success on the regimen. I have been on it about 4 months now and have been consistently clear for about 6 weeks. I had many frustrations the first couple months with getting really clear and then all of the sudden having a horrible breakout. I stuck with it because it said it would take 3-4 months to get completely clear. I'm so glad I did!! You never realize how traumatic a thing like acne can be until you go through it.

A few weeks ago I went to Sephora to find something to help with all the hyperpigmentation. I ended up getting some glycolic pads called Bliss Incredi-peel glycolic pads. I have been using them about three times a week and they are really helping to fade my spots! I have to be very gentle with using them as to not cause irritation and mess up my regimen. All in all I am soooooo happy with my results! I really hope I can get my skin back to where it was before I lost my mind and rubbed castor oil all over my face for two months!

Also I know there are several at home peels you can order from Amazon. I've tried several of them and liked them but that was before OCM. You might be more comfortable having a professional do it. I know I am scared to try anything new now! I'm really happy you are back to the sight and doing so well! Keep me posted on how you are doing!

MemberMember
(@smarie23)

Posted : 10/24/2013 3:32 pm

Syllacrostics - I realized that our reply's were getting quite long so I thought it might be easier for us-and other readers-if I posted a new response. That is seriously some great information! I definitely think you described the difference between hyperpigmentation and erythma perfectly! You explained it in a way that I can understand which is awesome. The next time I wash my face, I'm going to press down on the marks and figure out what I really have going on. I've never heard of the Makeup Artist's Choice brand for the peels but I like the fact that yours comes in a kit with the pH prep solution. I found a lot of good responses about the Skinceuticals brand and their lactic acid peels....do you know anything about the difference between these two brands? I'm going to dig in and research the two because it sounds like that is right up my alley!

In conjunction with your response about looking good into your 50's, I feel the same way! Haha. I plan on getting a TON of these TCA peels (unfortunately, it seems like I got the worst permanent damage to my skin from the OCM out of everyone here) and since they get rid of fine lines and everything else, hopefully the both of us will be looking young and renewed through our 50's! hifive.gif

What's so crazy is that my father has the most INCREDIBLE skin I've ever seen. He's 63 and looks like he's 45 because he has only the smallest and unnoticeable lines. Aside from that, his skin is FLAWLESS! Not a mark or blemish in sight. Now my mother on the hand, it's clear I've taken after her. Haha. Hopefully as I get older, my genetics will fall in line a little more with my dad's than my mom's. Here's to hoping! eusa_pray.gif

MemberMember
(@smarie23)

Posted : 10/24/2013 3:58 pm

Hi! I'm so glad you're back! I've wondered how you were doing many times over the last few months. So glad to hear you're finding success!! That's great news!

I have had huge success on the regimen. I have been on it about 4 months now and have been consistently clear for about 6 weeks. I had many frustrations the first couple months with getting really clear and then all of the sudden having a horrible breakout. I stuck with it because it said it would take 3-4 months to get completely clear. I'm so glad I did!! You never realize how traumatic a thing like acne can be until you go through it.

A few weeks ago I went to Sephora to find something to help with all the hyperpigmentation. I ended up getting some glycolic pads called Bliss Incredi-peel glycolic pads. I have been using them about three times a week and they are really helping to fade my spots! I have to be very gentle with using them as to not cause irritation and mess up my regimen. All in all I am soooooo happy with my results! I really hope I can get my skin back to where it was before I lost my mind and rubbed castor oil all over my face for two months!

Also I know there are several at home peels you can order from Amazon. I've tried several of them and liked them but that was before OCM. You might be more comfortable having a professional do it. I know I am scared to try anything new now! I'm really happy you are back to the sight and doing so well! Keep me posted on how you are doing!

I am SO SO SO glad to hear that your skin is clear and totally clear for six weeks as well! That's amazing! From where both of us started, it seems like we've both had some serious progress. I don't think I've had as much progress as you and others on here because unfortunately, the OCM really did some permanent damage to my skin. I'm hoping that since my scars are less than a year old, that I can find some way to make them more shallow before it's too late. I've been focusing a lot on my scarring because it's the one thing that has really depleted my self confidence. I've pretty much come to terms with the fact that I have hormonal acne (the only place I ever seem to breakout is my jawline and around my mouth) so I do what I can to deal with that and it's definitely gotten significantly better. But I live in Southern California so when the sunlight hits the rolling scars on my cheeks, it just mortifies me. I've never had scarring in this way in my entire life so that's the one thing that has really been messing with me. The doctors tell me that there is no way to permanently get rid of them and have smooth skin again. I try not to let that get to me and try to stay positive and hope for the best. But I'll tell you, to be told that at 22-years-old is really heartbreaking. If for nothing else, THIS is why I highly suggest to others NOT to try OCM. Pimples and acne can be dealt with but scarring is permanent. I'm so thankful for this website because no one else I know can begin to understand how this feels. I'm also incredibly thankful to have met you and others on this board who know exactly what I'm going through (not the scarring but everything else). It definitely helps me get through the tough times knowing that you all are here! comfort.gif

I actually was going to head to Sephora today to try and find some makeup to help hide the deeper scars that I have so I'm totally going to check out those pads! I'm not sure if I'll be purchasing them because as you said too, I'm pretty scared to change up anything in my current regimen lol! They sound really awesome though and definitely something I could benefit from. Do you find that they cause you to breakout a little after you use them or does your skin stay perfectly clear if you use them gently? And by gently, do you mean that you just lightly apply pressure when you apply it to your face, or do you kind of blot the solution all over your face so that you don't rub & irritate your skin? Sorry for the multiple questions but I'm definitely interested in these! Any advice is always greatly appreciated! :) Those peels from Amazon are where I found the Skinceuticals brand too. The reviews and everything sound AMAZING but as you said, I'm pretty scared to try anything new! I'm probably going to continue my TCA set and once I'm done with that, I'll most likely end up trying out some of the at home and less invasive peels. Speaking of Amazon, have you tried the Aztec Secret Healing Clay Mask?? You can find it at Whole Foods and similar stores too. If you haven't tried it, you totally should. It sucks up just about ALL the bad stuff in your face and really tightens your pores. I've heard from people in the entertainment industry that a lot of models use it the night before a photoshoot because it really tightens the pores and makes their skin look like perfection.

I'm really glad to hear that you're doing so well girly. Defeating the battle with acne is a better gift than just about anything in my book! Definitely keep me posted how things go, if you change anything with your routines, and if you find any more awesome products!

MemberMember
(@aly12345)

Posted : 10/24/2013 5:34 pm

Awesome! I will definitely check out that mask! I think maybe I've seen it before. Is it a powder that you mix with water? If it is then it's probably the one I'm thinking of.

To answer your questions about the glycolic pads, I haven't had any significant breakouts after using them. Just a small pimple here and there that may or may not be related to using them. If I do use them on a pimple it actually seems to heal it more quickly! As far as application, I just rub it very gently especially on my cheeks where the acne was so bad.

I also found a great website that has been really helpful. It's

www.cosdna.com

You can look up products or specific ingredients and it will give you each ingredients comedogenic rating and irritant rating. I haven't put anything on my face without checking it out on that website first.

I also am curious if you've heard of a derma roller? Check them out on Amazon. So many customer reviews swear they have worked wonders for scarring. I also hear Angelina Jolie and other celebrities use them so who knows! I've been wanting to try one but again, I'm a little scared! Take a look at them anyway and see.

One last thing, have you found any great makeup that's noncomedogenic? I've used bare minerals forever which is great for your skin but it doesn't look as natural as it used to for some reason. Let me know:)

MemberMember
(@kalinka)

Posted : 10/24/2013 6:58 pm

Syllacrostics - I realized that our reply's were getting quite long so I thought it might be easier for us-and other readers-if I posted a new response. That is seriously some great information! I definitely think you described the difference between hyperpigmentation and erythma perfectly! You explained it in a way that I can understand which is awesome. The next time I wash my face, I'm going to press down on the marks and figure out what I really have going on. I've never heard of the Makeup Artist's Choice brand for the peels but I like the fact that yours comes in a kit with the pH prep solution. I found a lot of good responses about the Skinceuticals brand and their lactic acid peels....do you know anything about the difference between these two brands? I'm going to dig in and research the two because it sounds like that is right up my alley!

In conjunction with your response about looking good into your 50's, I feel the same way! Haha. I plan on getting a TON of these TCA peels (unfortunately, it seems like I got the worst permanent damage to my skin from the OCM out of everyone here) and since they get rid of fine lines and everything else, hopefully the both of us will be looking young and renewed through our 50's! hifive.gif

What's so crazy is that my father has the most INCREDIBLE skin I've ever seen. He's 63 and looks like he's 45 because he has only the smallest and unnoticeable lines. Aside from that, his skin is FLAWLESS! Not a mark or blemish in sight. Now my mother on the hand, it's clear I've taken after her. Haha. Hopefully as I get older, my genetics will fall in line a little more with my dad's than my mom's. Here's to hoping! eusa_pray.gif

Good idea, haha.

I don't know much about other brands for chemical peels. I have heard of people using Skinceuticals but not much more than that. Probably both are good, but I like MUAC because it's cheap! :P Also, they ship really fast.

My parents are "well preserved" too.. so maybe I'll be spotty when I'm young but then youthful into middle age and later. Maybe that is not so bad!

MemberMember
(@jennvi77)

Posted : 11/13/2013 9:07 am

Hi guys, I had used sunflower oil and caster oil. It was a horrendous experience for me. I now use cetaphil soap for gentel sensitive skin twice a day. I use differin cream (from my dermatologist) once a day at night before bed. My skin has now cleared but I still have some scars. I would never recommend OCM to anyone in the world. It ruined my skin :( I hope you are all recovering from the affects of OCM. Accutane is the only thing that cleared me.