Notifications
Clear all

Supplements?

(@LewisS)

Posted : 06/22/2013 9:49 am

I want to try some supplements, since I used to be quite clear when I took a multivitamin each day. I now would like to take specific ones that are targeted at acne/skin, but I'm not sure which ones I should be taking.

I'm thinking maybe; cod liver oil (for vitamin A), saw palmetto (as a DHT/androgen inhibitor) to reduce oil production and maybe zinc?

Not hugely educated on supplements. I'm more knowledgeable on external acne treatments.

Thanks in advance smile.png

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/22/2013 9:52 am

zinc +vit b complex + vit c had helped me.i think it did.

or may it was an overall cumilative effect of everything i did.

but it dint worsen anything.

MemberMember
(@idk111)

Posted : 06/22/2013 9:55 am

Erm,

I posted my cure in the nutrition and holistic section [diet].

Everyone's acne is caused by something different.

I have tried saw palmetto, and the side effects were horrible. I am a girl. And if you are a guy, it might have more devastating effects for you because guys NEED testosterone. I think the high testosterone theory is overused and if you have not been tested with it, I would avoid the saw palmetto. I've even heard stories of people's hair falling out from it and having unpleasant side effects.

I think most acne sufferers need Vitamin D (5,000 IU at the least), Omega 3 (I take Krill since it has the most).

Cod liver oil is good but it broke me out. I guess because the oil was rancid.. it is important to get a good quality oil.

Vitamin A is good too. I would not get beta carotene because your body needs to convert it to vitamin A, and if your body can not do this, then you can not reap the benefts. It is better to just give the body the already converted vitamin A form in my opinion.

I take iron because my hair was falling out and it helped with my acne a little. Not sure how much it would make a difference in others. I also feel calcium (from plant sources), magnesium, and B12 (METHYL not the other ones) are important.

I refuse to take multivitamins because it is hard to control each of the vitamins, and the dosages. As in,... you never know the quality. So I bought individual supps. Supplements can break you out too. So make sure it is good quality, and no crap in them. I also mentioned in my post that citric acid did major damage for me. The only citric acid I do not react to is the one from yucca. :)

good luck!

(@LewisS)

Posted : 06/22/2013 10:29 am

Thanks smile.png

Well I think (from some reading I have done) that Saw Palemetto inhibits DHT, not testosterone and when DHT is inhibited, it turns into testosterone. But I've heard that free testosterone (or too much of it) can cause it to turn into estrogen which can cause a myriad of problems for guys. I already take propecia for hair loss (also a DHT inhibitor) and I luckily haven't had any negative sides as of now. Haven't grown myself some boobs just yet!

I do believe I don't get enough vitamin D because I rarely go out in the sun (I avoid it!). When I do get sun exposure for a short period of time, my skin looks a lot healthier. So I'll give vitamin D a try.

I'll go supplement shopping soon and get some vitamin D and zinc to see how those work out for me. Maybe vitamin A too, although the hair loss associated with it worries me a little.

MemberMember
(@mesha)

Posted : 06/22/2013 1:08 pm

I'm taking a multi vit supplement each day, which has RDA of vit D ( 5ug )and also at least half hour sun exposure (no sun cream). The multi vit supplement also has RDA of zinc ( 15 mg ). I've read on here that many people have more than the RDA.

Also adding 30 mg a day sunflower and pumpkin seeds to breakfast cereal. ( which also gives a further 13mg of zinc ).

I've had lots of great advice from the hormonal acne section. I'm seeing results :)

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/22/2013 1:15 pm

What specific types and brands of multi and supplements do you take? You need to get multivitamin that is bioavailable (I use Source Naturals Life Force Multiple, which is highly bioavailable; most OTC brands like Centrum are worthless because the forms of the vitamins they use are cheap and not bioavailable.) for starters, and then consider adding extra vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, alpha lipoic acid, krill oil (omega 3's), evening primrose oil (omega 6's), astaxanthin, chromium, selenium, MSM, zinc, apple cider vinegar, and/or niacin/niacinamide.

For supplementing natural herbs and spices, I'd suggest neem leaf, sea buckthorn fruit powder, burdock root, bee pollen, propolis, milk thistle, licorice root, cayenne, green tea extract, rosemary, ginger, cat's claw, gotu kola, alfalfa, chlorella, spirulina, dandelion root, and/or turmeric.

All of the above things have natural antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and detoxification/cleansing properties that help heal and prevent acne and improve your skin's health and your overall health.

I like to get my supplements almost exclusively from Amazon from the following trustworthy companies: NOW Foods, Source Naturals, Nutrigold, Jarrow Formulas, and Nature's Way, in that order of preference.

For organic herbs and spices, I usually buy in bulk from MountainRoseHerbs.com and make my own capsules or use the powders (like turmeric) for facial masks.

A DHT inhibitor is also probably a good idea. NOW Foods has a good combo supplement of saw palmetto, pygeum, and pumpkin seed oil

Hope this helps! Good luck!

(@LewisS)

Posted : 06/22/2013 1:57 pm

Really appreciate all that information!

Like cod liver oil, does krill oil contain a lot of vitamin A?

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 06/23/2013 8:36 am

I've been using cod liver oil (liquid form) daily for about 2 weeks now, seems to help skin but it is so nasty tasting! I stopped taking my multivitamin and just take the cod liver, B-50, C and E. For my omega-3s and a lot of other nutrients I eat chia seeds.

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/23/2013 9:41 am

Try zincovit (don't know it's alternate name in your country).It has zinc and selenium in addition to other vitamins.It really helps. Especially if you're not very keen on regularly eating walnuts which naturally provide you with selenium.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 06/23/2013 10:21 am

I'll go to my local health store and have a look around. I really want to improve the texture of my skin too, so I hope these help with that too.

Thanks again. :)

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/23/2013 12:04 pm

Krill oil contains a small amount of vit A. I'd suggest also getting a cod liver oil and/or beta carotene supplement for vit A. Or just eat a lot of carrots every day.

Again just make sure you get supplements from a reputable company that uses high quality ingredients, like NOW Foods.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/23/2013 1:47 pm

what exactly improves the 'texture of the skin' or does these work only on acne?

also,does these have any effect on pores?(which is basically the key to gooo=d texture skin)

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 06/23/2013 2:10 pm

what exactly improves the 'texture of the skin' or does these work only on acne?

also,does these have any effect on pores?(which is basically the key to gooo=d texture skin)

Well i think it's your genes.If you have ugly skin with pores the size of Jupiter...you cannot alter it.No matter how many supplements you stuff inside your body,you ain't doin nothin...the guys who have small pluto sized pores are just superior genetically.Accept it ;)

Well i think it's your genes.If you have ugly skin with pores the size of Jupiter...you cannot alter it.No matter how many supplements you stuff inside your body,you ain't doin nothin...the guys who have small pluto sized pores are just superior genetically.Accept it wink.png

When i got acne for the first time i used to apply copious amounts of BP thinking that it would make my skin better.Once it made me look like a clown with both my mid cheeks looking pink (like sirloin steaks).

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/23/2013 2:20 pm

i totally agree with the bp thingy.

since i have never used bp on my face and always as spot treatment(which means i am not used to the intensity of bp) even a lil' makes me red(even as spot treatment).

but i suppose we r going off the topic.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/23/2013 5:23 pm

Nothing (including supplements) can change the actual size of your pores except Accutane (temporary; once you go off it, pores return to normal size) and laser treatments.

MemberMember
(@mizz_dimplezz)

Posted : 06/23/2013 8:29 pm

I've recently started taking chlorella and spirulina powder. It's too early to say if they're doing anything, but will update if I notice anything.

Has anyone/is anyone taking either (or both)? Did it help with your acne?

(@LewisS)

Posted : 06/24/2013 3:58 pm

I don't have large pores. When I said texture of my skin...I meant make it softer and healthier looking, which I know is achievable with diet and getting the right vitamins. Probably exercise too.

Today I bought some Saw Palmetto and Fish Oil (omega 3), I also want some zinc supplements too. I don't want to mess too much with vit A.

I'm definitely not going to try BP again. I see all these acne.org regimen reviews and think I should try it again...it cleared my acne, but my skin looked like crap. I don't wanna age my skin either.

I'd much rather have healthy looking skin with a few whiteheads!

MemberMember
(@perseverance92)

Posted : 07/02/2013 9:36 am

I don't have large pores. When I said texture of my skin...I meant make it softer and healthier looking, which I know is achievable with diet and getting the right vitamins. Probably exercise too.

Today I bought some Saw Palmetto and Fish Oil (omega 3), I also want some zinc supplements too. I don't want to mess too much with vit A.

I'm definitely not going to try BP again. I see all these acne.org regimen reviews and think I should try it again...it cleared my acne, but my skin looked like crap. I don't wanna age my skin either.

I'd much rather have healthy looking skin with a few whiteheads!

Yeah man,i don't mind whiteheads.Everybody gets whiteheads! but it's the cysts that trouble me.They are a nightmare :S.

Also,have you started taking fish oil .It's same as cod liver oil right? Do tell me about your experience with it.Because i have also thought about taking it after reading so many posts about how it improves acne.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 07/02/2013 12:20 pm

Yeah man,i don't mind whiteheads.Everybody gets whiteheads! but it's the cysts that trouble me.They are a nightmare :S.

Also,have you started taking fish oil .It's same as cod liver oil right? Do tell me about your experience with it.Because i have also thought about taking it after reading so many posts about how it improves acne.

I'll let you know how it goes. Yeah it's similar (practically the same) as cod liver oil.

As for whiteheads, I wouldn't mind if it was one every so often, but I get a new one every day. The minute one goes away, I get a new one. Obviously I can't compare that to cystic acne, but they are equally as annoying.