Clear all

Will My Acne Go Away When I'm Older

MemberMember
(@alyssa-lee)

Posted : 11/19/2013 5:46 pm

Not in my experience.

I've had acne for 8 years.

strongsad.gif

Speak to your doctor/dermatologist about ACCUTANE. Best decision you could make for your skin... Some people require two courses for complete remission of acne. Courses can last 4-8 months. Works for 90% of patients. I was in your position, now 8 months later, I barely get any spots...

Just a suggestion.

MemberMember
(@monicalovesben)

Posted : 11/19/2013 9:12 pm

It should. Most teens outgrow their acne after adolescence. Good luck!

(This site is very biased)

MemberMember
(@jennabean)

Posted : 11/19/2013 9:28 pm

You should talk to your Derm about Accutane. I never had acne as a teen. Then BAM! Hit my 20's and I started getting cysts!

I wish I would have went on Accutane when it started. My skin has so much damage from it.

I might consider Accutane after I have children. I am almost 27 and STILL breakout.

I think it's better to have it as a teen. It's "normal" hormonal stuff. As an adult, it's just down right embarrassing.

MemberMember
(@hope27)

Posted : 11/19/2013 9:42 pm

28 still have . it sucks . turned 28 last month . I felt so depressed never thought at 28 I will still be dealing with it .. when ever I turn a year older I get sad cus I know is one more year that went by and was not able to fix my skin...

MemberMember
(@jaybee2k13)

Posted : 11/20/2013 6:24 pm

Not in my experience.

I've had acne for 8 years.

Speak to your doctor/dermatologist about ACCUTANE. Best decision you could make for your skin... Some people require two courses for complete remission of acne. Courses can last 4-8 months. Works for 90% of patients. I was in your position, now 8 months later, I barely get any spots...

Just a suggestion.

But the side effects are too scary!!! :(

Especially being a female.

I totally understand, but even when I was taking my course there were plenty females taking it alongside me. I'm not trying to convince you to take it, just encouraging you. You're put on birth control pills, monitered month to month (if not more frequent) and I was given an emergency hotline to call if I wasnt feeling great. I still think it's the best solution to stubborn persistent, confidence killing acne. I got a bit of dry skin, lips and facial flushing but apart from that not much else!

It's absolutely your decision to make, but I'm just sharing my experience in case it helps.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@purple123)

Posted : 12/01/2013 6:50 pm

Acne is a manageable condition, it's just a matter of finding the right dermatologist and then finding the right treatment. For most people, it takes a few years of trial and error to find something that works. For some, over-the-counter topical creams are fine, for others, oral antibiotics or hormonal treatments work better, and yet others only respond to accutane, with multiple courses required in relatively rare circumstances.

As you age, you may still have to fight acne, but you will be better informed and better able to keep them at bay. Don't give up the goal of having clear (or at least totally acceptable) skin, it's entirely possible!

Start here: http://www.acne.org/treatments.html