Notifications
Clear all

Green Tea/sea Salt Toner. Effective And Easy To Make

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 07/08/2012 1:17 pm

Yep, whole foods or in the organic section of your grocery store if you have one. Or any other whole foods type store. Or online if there is nothing remotely close to you

MemberMember
(@sithas15)

Posted : 07/08/2012 8:52 pm

Fantastic ty! As soon as i buy the sea salt i will keep a log to track my results.

MemberMember
(@swedan)

Posted : 07/10/2012 2:39 pm

Just made a first test batch, turned out a little too light I think, but I will have to experiment a bit to find the right amounts. I'll use it tomorrow morning for the first time. I'm not entirely sure how I should make the switch from BP, though. I could either stop immediately or gradually slow it down. Thoughts?

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 07/10/2012 6:09 pm

Just made a first test batch, turned out a little too light I think, but I will have to experiment a bit to find the right amounts. I'll use it tomorrow morning for the first time. I'm not entirely sure how I should make the switch from BP, though. I could either stop immediately or gradually slow it down. Thoughts?

If the batch is strong enough, i'd say quit cold turkey. That's what I did when I first tried green tea topically, and you aren't transitioning from BP to nothing. In other words there will still be something sitting on your skin, so it's much less of a transition than if you were to quit to using nothing altogether

MemberMember
(@swedan)

Posted : 07/11/2012 5:49 am

Thanks, you're right - for some reason I keep telling myself that I'm giving up all treatments, when I'm actually switching for a hopefully better alternative. Well then, done with BP which is going to be awesome.

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 07/11/2012 8:53 am

If the batch is strong enough, i'd say quit cold turkey. That's what I did when I first tried green tea topically, and you aren't transitioning from BP to nothing. In other words there will still be something sitting on your skin, so it's much less of a transition than if you were to quit to using nothing altogether

I'm wondering if a batch of this could ever be too strong. I made a batch last night from Frontier organic Gunpowder green tea that ended up VERY strong. That NIH study about 4% green tea being as effective as BP got me wondering about what percent of green tea would be ideal for this toner. That study used a cream though, so it is hard to compare.

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 07/11/2012 9:59 am

I just noticed that after being in a glass bottle in the refrigerator overnight, the solution turned from a dark clear greenish brown to an opaque mustard color. Anyone else see a change in color when refrigerated? We brew black tea and it's appearance doesn't change from hot to cold, so I wonder why this happens with green tea. (I'm not concerned just curious.)

MemberMember
(@false-priest)

Posted : 07/11/2012 10:10 pm

Anyone who has researched green tea knows how effective it is at combating acne internally and externally, as well as providing a great skin tone, without the harsh side effects that arise from store bought toners/creams/serums or washes. Sea salt is equally as impressive at providing a healthy, acne free complexion.

Well...i combined the two using a high concentration of green tea and love the results. I've been acne free for a year now, but that was due to changing my diet and eliminating all topicals. But before i switched my diet, i was using green tea topically and it was the single best thing i'd ever done for my skin.

So i wanted to go back and explore it again, but this time adding sea salt to the solution.

The concoction:

1) 16-20 green tea bags of your choice. Could even be a mint green tea. I'd avoid honey green tea, in order to keep it light on the face

2) A good quality brand of sea salt. Dead sea salt or himalayan are great, but there are others. Just make sure it's a sea salt that has been dried naturally by the sun and has no processing involved or added ingredients

How to:

In a small pan, bring the tea bags to a boil with 1 and a 1/2 cups of purified water. Remove from burner and let it steep for about ten minutes

Next, stir or slosh in about a heaping 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt. This concentration has worked great for me and i have sensitive skin

Finally, pour the mixture into a lock tight container and store in the fridge

Application:

I use circular cotton pads (the good kind that don't easily fall apart) and simply dip the pad in the solution and apply. I use one for my forehead, another for my nose and upper cheeks, another for my mouth and lower cheeks, and then another for my neck area. This way the pads don't fall apart

- - -

That's it. Once or twice a day and you're set. You shouldn't use any cleanser that you couldn't eat, if that makes any sense. I don't use a cleanser at all, and you shouldn't need a moisturizer either, especially one that isn't 100% natural

When people try green tea and don't see results, it's because they take one tea bag and rub it on their face, which is not a high enough concentration. It's proven to be as and more effective at eliminating acne than benzoyl peroxide, but without the burning and long term skin damaging effects associated with BP. And a good quality sea salt alongside this provides a double whammy of acne fighting and skin healing properties

But remember, diet needs to be addressed if you want to eliminate acne completely, and there is loads of info in the nutrition section of this site. Please go check it out, because that is the first major step in clearing your acne. But this significantly helps when fighting it from the outside

Anyone who has researched green tea knows how effective it is at combating acne internally and externally, as well as providing a great skin tone, without the harsh side effects that arise from store bought toners/creams/serums or washes. Sea salt is equally as impressive at providing a healthy, acne free complexion.

Well...i combined the two using a high concentration of green tea and love the results. I've been acne free for a year now, but that was due to changing my diet and eliminating all topicals. But before i switched my diet, i was using green tea topically and it was the single best thing i'd ever done for my skin.

So i wanted to go back and explore it again, but this time adding sea salt to the solution.

The concoction:

1) 16-20 green tea bags of your choice. Could even be a mint green tea. I'd avoid honey green tea, in order to keep it light on the face

2) A good quality brand of sea salt. Dead sea salt or himalayan are great, but there are others. Just make sure it's a sea salt that has been dried naturally by the sun and has no processing involved or added ingredients

How to:

In a small pan, bring the tea bags to a boil with 1 and a 1/2 cups of purified water. Remove from burner and let it steep for about ten minutes

Next, stir or slosh in about a heaping 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt. This concentration has worked great for me and i have sensitive skin

Finally, pour the mixture into a lock tight container and store in the fridge

Application:

I use circular cotton pads (the good kind that don't easily fall apart) and simply dip the pad in the solution and apply. I use one for my forehead, another for my nose and upper cheeks, another for my mouth and lower cheeks, and then another for my neck area. This way the pads don't fall apart

- - -

That's it. Once or twice a day and you're set. You shouldn't use any cleanser that you couldn't eat, if that makes any sense. I don't use a cleanser at all, and you shouldn't need a moisturizer either, especially one that isn't 100% natural

When people try green tea and don't see results, it's because they take one tea bag and rub it on their face, which is not a high enough concentration. It's proven to be as and more effective at eliminating acne than benzoyl peroxide, but without the burning and long term skin damaging effects associated with BP. And a good quality sea salt alongside this provides a double whammy of acne fighting and skin healing properties

But remember, diet needs to be addressed if you want to eliminate acne completely, and there is loads of info in the nutrition section of this site. Please go check it out, because that is the first major step in clearing your acne. But this significantly helps when fighting it from the outside

I am only doing this once a day, but i might add in manuka honey as a cleanser.

In regards to honey as a cleanser, i've seen people swear by it, and if you try it i'd only use a raw honey, whatever variety that may include. Not the dark golden stuff you see at most supermarkets. But a couple years ago when i tried using honey as a cleanser, i almost felt like it created a barrier on my face that made it temporarily difficult for anything like the green tea to get through. I'm not sure if others have experienced the same thing. I've heard great things about oatmeal and egg white washes. Might be a little messy, but i think it'd be worth checking out

And again, i don't even use a wash. I basically consider the sea salt and green tea a two in one wash/toner

you think it would be ok to use epsom salts in place of sea salt?

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 07/12/2012 3:50 am

Absolutely. I posted a study on the previous page in which they used Dead sea salt which has a high magnesium content, and epsom salt is magnesium sulfide, which is a compound of magnesium, sulfur, and oxygen. The sulfur in it has antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti viral properties. So for sure, i'd say that is a great alternative, and it should have been one that I put in the original post

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 07/12/2012 11:46 pm

I'm wondering if a batch of this could ever be too strong. I made a batch last night from Frontier organic Gunpowder green tea that ended up VERY strong. That NIH study about 4% green tea being as effective as BP got me wondering about what percent of green tea would be ideal for this toner. That study used a cream though, so it is hard to compare.

Yeah i'm not sure if there's a concentration that you can reach that will actually have a negative effect. I think if there is one, it would have to be off the charts concentrated. I've never felt any irritation from even the strongest batch i've made. But if you look at something like tea tree oil, you really do have to be careful how much you put on your skin

So i'm not sure gingergirl. Maybe i'll experiment and make a batch using the equivalent of something like 40 tea bags and see what happens. But I don't think you'd be in any danger of hurting your skin if you make a batch super strong. And if you put it on your face and feel some foreign sensation, then maybe there is a point where it can be too strong

MemberMember
(@false-priest)

Posted : 07/13/2012 11:50 am

Absolutely. I posted a study on the previous page in which they used Dead sea salt which has a high magnesium content, and epsom salt is magnesium sulfide, which is a compound of magnesium, sulfur, and oxygen. The sulfur in it has antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti viral properties. So for sure, i'd say that is a great alternative, and it should have been one that I put in the original post

what do you think about not keeping it in the fridge? I'm going to be travelling and don't know how to store it.

and thank you for your insight.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 07/13/2012 5:35 pm

what do you think about not keeping it in the fridge? I'm going to be travelling and don't know how to store it.

I think the salt in the solution will help keep it preserved, as well as the concentration of the tea. I think both of these together will give you some time to play with unrefrigerated. How much time? I'm not sure. It's a really good question that I don't have a great answer for. However, I can link you to a discussion where shelf life of non-refrigerated brewed tea is the focus

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Food-Engineering-Manufacturing-2446/2011/5/Shelf-life-Brewed-Tea.htm

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 07/13/2012 5:46 pm

I think the salt in the solution will help keep it preserved, as well as the concentration of the tea. I think both of these together will give you some time to play with unrefrigerated. How much time? I'm not sure. It's a really good question that I don't have a great answer for. However, I can link you to a discussion where shelf life of non-refrigerated brewed tea is the focus

http://en.allexperts...-Brewed-Tea.htm

I was thinking that the salt will act as a preservative too.

The discussion about the Ph on you link was interesting. Ofg, have you ever tested the Ph of your toner? I just ordered some Ph strips this morning and will be so curious to find out the level of my toner.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 07/13/2012 6:59 pm

Ofg, have you ever tested the Ph of your toner? I just ordered some Ph strips this morning and will be so curious to find out the level of my toner.

No I never have in fact. Yeah I'd be interested to see what it is though. You'll have to let us know what it says once you try it out

MemberMember
(@allrighty)

Posted : 07/14/2012 2:22 am

My main problem is whiteheads and blackheads, also huge pores from squeezing those little a- holes...lol

Im 31, and my acne has settled....but the blackheads etc r bad.. I was just recently only using wipes, oil free, but they dont seem to be helping with the b heads....

I used a derma roller today and hope thatll help, but Ill def try this and see how it goes.

Manuka honey for me, made the whiteheads n blackheads alot worse. I eat it or put it in my herbal tea...

i usually get ipl and microdermabrasion but that dont really help... I had my first laser genesis last month and get my second done next week. Ive recently tried a batch opf Water Kerif but didnt really do anything... looked funky but tasted ok

Ps...do u uyse tap water when boiling or bottled spring water?

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 07/14/2012 2:35 am

My main problem is whiteheads and blackheads, also huge pores from squeezing those little a- holes...lol

Im 31, and my acne has settled....but the blackheads etc r bad.. I was just recently only using wipes, oil free, but they dont seem to be helping with the b heads....

I used a derma roller today and hope thatll help, but Ill def try this and see how it goes.

Manuka honey for me, made the whiteheads n blackheads alot worse. I eat it or put it in my herbal tea...

i usually get ipl and microdermabrasion but that dont really help... I had my first laser genesis last month and get my second done next week. Ive recently tried a batch opf Water Kerif but didnt really do anything... looked funky but tasted ok

Ps...do u uyse tap water when boiling or bottled spring water?

Yeah, whenever I used honey as a cleanser or mask, I never noticed any improvement in my skin. Just my personal experience. Also I use filtered water. Spring water may be even better, cause if it's actually spring water, it won't have all the crap that many of us get in our tap water like fluoride. But yeah, your best bet is to use a water that isn't fluoridated. I really need to look into distilling my water so I don't have to deal with fluoride

MemberMember
(@allrighty)

Posted : 07/14/2012 3:32 am

Do u think itd help with blackheads n whiteheads? do u only putit on in the morning... I work in an aged care home, heaters going 24-7 so i come home sweatey all over, my face is mega oiley n dirty.... its hard not to shower....

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 07/14/2012 4:50 am

Do u think itd help with blackheads n whiteheads? do u only putit on in the morning... I work in an aged care home, heaters going 24-7 so i come home sweatey all over, my face is mega oiley n dirty.... its hard not to shower....

As for the blackheads, I can't speak from experience since I don't deal with them. But it will for sure help with whiteheads and any other form of inflamed acne. And I shower in the evening so I put it on at night afterwards. Sometimes I'll re-apply in the morning, and I think it's fine to use it twice a day. In your case, what do you think, maybe putting it on in the morning and then after you shower when you get home?

MemberMember
(@swedan)

Posted : 07/15/2012 10:54 am

My face has already calmed down a lot, but I'm seeing some new spots. However, I think it's too early to judge. Maybe my batch was too light after all (likely). Maybe I ate something (likely - I celebrated that I'm off work next week, lots of junk). I'm too lazy with my diet since BP allowed me to be (to an extent).

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 07/15/2012 12:31 pm

My face has already calmed down a lot, but I'm seeing some new spots. However, I think it's too early to judge. Maybe my batch was too light after all (likely). Maybe I ate something (likely - I celebrated that I'm off work next week, lots of junk). I'm too lazy with my diet since BP allowed me to be (to an extent).

I keep a small bottle of the solution with added salt for spot treatments. If I am home I treat the spots all day long, like every hour! I was thinking of experimenting with adding a few drops of Epsom Salts to this spot treatment either in place of the salt or in addition to it. Anyway, I just rub a drop of this spot treatment into the blemish. You can dip a cotton swab into the solution to keep from contaminating it. This speeds up the process quite a bit, like in one day it will either subside or come to a head. If it comes to a head I carefully prick the tip of the whitehead with a needle and continue along with the spot treatments and by the next day that sucker is history.

MemberMember
(@swedan)

Posted : 07/15/2012 1:15 pm

I keep a small bottle of the solution with added salt for spot treatments. If I am home I treat the spots all day long, like every hour! I was thinking of experimenting with adding a few drops of Epsom Salts to this spot treatment either in place of the salt or in addition to it. Anyway, I just rub a drop of this spot treatment into the blemish. You can dip a cotton swab into the solution to keep from contaminating it. This speeds up the process quite a bit, like in one day it will either subside or come to a head. If it comes to a head I carefully prick the tip of the whitehead with a needle and continue along with the spot treatments and by the next day that sucker is history.

Good advice. Since this is cheap to make I can surely add some extra during the day. It actually sounds as fast or faster than it did with BP. Some would go away in a day or two, but some lingered. I have an ugly mark from a spot that I never touched, so I will look into the needle method to avoid more of those.

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 07/15/2012 1:25 pm

I didn't like the dark red spots that were left behind with BP. No leftover discoloration so far with this concentrated toner.

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 07/15/2012 5:38 pm

This toner is awesome. I've come to the conclusion my skin just can't handle cleansers. I occasionally cleanse with raw honey, but even that makes my a little irritated. My skin is much healthier and less oily now.

I also make a diluted version of this, just mix half the mixture with half purified water, and put in a little glass spray bottle so you can refresh your skin anytime throughout the day. This works well on top of makeup as well if you wear it.

You can buy empty glass cosmetic bottles for a few dollars each on the LuckyVitamin.com website for both the toner and the spray. They also sell celtic sea salt for like $2.50 for 8 oz.

I prefer the glass bottles since there's no risk for chemical leeching. I also like mixing in a few jasmine green tea bags with the plain for the fragrance ;)

Oh, I also use like 1/4 tsp of apple cider vinegar in my batch (which is aprox. 8 oz) to keep the toner from going rancid. Anyone who has ever made a batch they didn't keep in the fridge knows that it starts to smell a little odd after a few days and changes color. It worked the same, but it still bugged me. Once I made the batch with the ACV, I didn't have this problem. This is helpful if you're going on vacation/deployment, or have weird family members/roommates. The tiny amount of acv doesn't seem to make the toner too strong or abrasive.

Has anyone else tried any other variations of this recipe? I'd like to add other kinds of tea to my mix in the future, like chamomile, ginger, and dandelion root.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 07/15/2012 6:35 pm

Yeah, this toner works great, but works even better with a very disciplined diet. It's hard not to cheat, but it becomes easier the more you positively reinforce yourself by saying no to crap foods. Also there are some great healthy recipes that you can make that seem like you're cheating but you aren't. Healthy food can actually taste really good. Most healthy food that is...

Also if you're worried about whether you're being accurate enough on your concentration, you might try weighing out 16-20 tea bags on a scale, and then matching that weight with the loose tea

Has anyone else tried any other variations of this recipe? I'd like to add other kinds of tea to my mix in the future, like chamomile, ginger, and dandelion root.

I've added chamomile tea and ginger tea before. And dandelion root seems like a great addition as well. But yeah, any teas like these I think are worth experimenting adding in to the toner. Unless you have some type of allergy to an herbal tea, I'd say go ahead and experiment with it. Especially if it's praised for having skin benefiting properties

MemberMember
(@fihe)

Posted : 07/16/2012 1:58 am

I absolutely love green tea! I drink several cups every day. today I decided to rub my face with a used green tea bag (after it cooled, of course) and it felt very refreshing and the tea bag and leaves inside acted as a mild exfoliant. great for my dry flaky skin! however, I still needed to moisturize after despite it not being my face-washing time of the da

I've tried making a whole cup of green tea and saving it just for use on the face, but I find that after a few days it starts to smell bad. so I would recommend making a cup of tea fresh daily and use either the tea bag or a cotton ball/pad soaked with tea on your face. then drink the rest cool.png