Notifications
Clear all

Green Tea/sea Salt Toner. Effective And Easy To Make

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 10/12/2012 7:54 pm

So lately i've been drop kicked off my high horse, im getting more and more small spots all over my face. Which is such a godamn shame as my skin was fiiinnne just a couple of weeks ago, then for no apparent reason it just decides it wants some godamn attention. If only i knew why. I just wanted to know is it ok if i use normal table salt because i'm all out of funds. If it makes a difference, i'm using loose leaf sencha. How is the concentrated solution supposed to smell by the way?

Thanks for your reply wink.png

Hey Hutchdan,

I think you'd be better just omitting the salt for now, until you can afford the good stuff. There was a long period of time when i first got into using green tea topically and i used it without salt with great results. I guess it's harder than i thought to describe the smell. It's fairly unique i guess. But yeah, i'd say don't worry about the sea salt for now. Should still be really effective.

And if the pigmentation is too much for daytime use, you can make a much less concentrated batch. Some people have expressed concern over how it made their skin look greenish during the day. I haven't experimented with loose leaf (even though it's probably the best option), so i can't give you the conversion from tea bag to loose leaf. But i believe Gingergirl and a few others use that, so she would be better at giving advice in regards to quantity

Also i'd strongly suggest using distilled water, which you can get at wal mart by the gallon for cheap.

MemberMember
(@hutchdan)

Posted : 10/13/2012 8:33 am

So lately i've been drop kicked off my high horse, im getting more and more small spots all over my face. Which is such a godamn shame as my skin was fiiinnne just a couple of weeks ago, then for no apparent reason it just decides it wants some godamn attention. If only i knew why. I just wanted to know is it ok if i use normal table salt because i'm all out of funds. If it makes a difference, i'm using loose leaf sencha. How is the concentrated solution supposed to smell by the way?

Thanks for your reply wink.png

Hey Hutchdan,

I think you'd be better just omitting the salt for now, until you can afford the good stuff. There was a long period of time when i first got into using green tea topically and i used it without salt with great results. I guess it's harder than i thought to describe the smell. It's fairly unique i guess. But yeah, i'd say don't worry about the sea salt for now. Should still be really effective.

And if the pigmentation is too much for daytime use, you can make a much less concentrated batch. Some people have expressed concern over how it made their skin look greenish during the day. I haven't experimented with loose leaf (even though it's probably the best option), so i can't give you the conversion from tea bag to loose leaf. But i believe Gingergirl and a few others use that, so she would be better at giving advice in regards to quantity

Also i'd strongly suggest using distilled water, which you can get at wal mart by the gallon for cheap.

Thanks man, great answer. What kind of acne is this effective against? i don't have cysts anymore because of my lifestyle change, i only get the smaller, milder acne now.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 10/14/2012 12:27 am

Thanks man, great answer. What kind of acne is this effective against? i don't have cysts anymore because of my lifestyle change, i only get the smaller, milder acne now.

I think many times people think you need to bring a nuclear weapon to some of these skin issues, as in extremely harsh chemicals. When the reality is, you simply need a precision weapon that isn't going to do more harm than good. And that weapon could be a diet change or any other natural remedy. We are nature, and our bodies desire nature and utilize it best. So in answer to your question, i believe it would work for severe acne as well. But since many times the severe acne is caused by a deeper internal issue, i think it's always best to address the internal aspect first.

And since you've already done that, it seems like a good idea to try some type of natural topical approach like this toner

MemberMember
(@mynameisemma)

Posted : 10/17/2012 1:07 pm

Hi, What is a natural moisturiser that I can use?

x

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 10/21/2012 3:44 am

Hi, What is a natural moisturiser that I can use?

x

Here's a few i found online and posted a while back. You can use these exactly as described, or come up with your own variation. It should at least get the creative juices flowing. Also the best light oil i've found for facial use is rose hip seed oil. That stuff is so incredibly thin and absorbs really well. Definitely worth trying in place of olive or grape seed oil

Homemade moisturizers:

http://foodblogandth...-exciting-news/

http://frugallysusta...urizing-lotion/

Homemade face wash:

http://www.diynatura...acial-cleanser/

http://www.sheknows....ial-cleansers-1

http://expertscolumn...tural-face-wash

MemberMember
(@mynameisemma)

Posted : 10/21/2012 9:18 am

Thankyou :)

x

MemberMember
(@hutchdan)

Posted : 10/25/2012 11:18 am

This stuff has made my skin way less oily, but there is no improvement concerning the little bit of acne i have left. I still get some spots now and then. I used this stuff twice a day for two weeks, without salt as i couldn't afford it. Is the salt that necessary? Because im on a budget.

And of course i'm on the gut diet so i'm covering the holistic side.

This stuff has made my skin way less oily, but there is no improvement concerning the little bit of acne i have left. I still get some spots now and then. I used this stuff twice a day for two weeks, without salt as i couldn't afford it. Is the salt that necessary? Because im on a budget.

And of course i'm on the gut diet so i'm covering the holistic side.

Oh and the breakout i was having was due to dairy which subsided quickly after i quit it.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 10/25/2012 4:57 pm

Is the salt that necessary? Because im on a budget.

Oh and the breakout i was having was due to dairy which subsided quickly after i quit it.

I posted a study a while back regarding the benefits sea salt provides. basically improved skin barrier function. But it's also why you'd have to get a good quality salt like Celtic or Dead sea. You can get a bag of Celtic at Whole Foods for 6 bucks. I haven't seen Dead sea there, and i'm sure it's a little more expensive, though i haven't price checked. I'll try and find the study for you

Here's the study Hutchdan

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15689218

MemberMember
(@hutchdan)

Posted : 10/25/2012 5:03 pm

I posted a study a while back regarding the benefits sea salt provides. basically improved skin barrier function. But it's also why you'd have to get a good quality salt like Celtic or Dead sea. You can get a bag of Celtic at Whole Foods for 6 bucks. I haven't seen Dead sea there, and i'm sure it's a little more expensive, though i haven't price checked. I'll try and find the study for you

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15689218

Thanks

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15689218

Thanks

I always used to get Himalayan salt, it's pink for some reason, will this do?

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 10/26/2012 6:19 pm

Yeah i think Himalayan is a great option as well

MemberMember
(@joga113)

Posted : 10/28/2012 7:31 am

Hi , i started the green tea method since 5 months and my skin now is very good... however the winter is coming and my skin starting to have reds and dryness. how can i do ?

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 10/29/2012 7:43 pm

Hi joga,

Your question got me thinking about possible additives that might help in moisturizing dry skin. The first thing that came to mind was aloe vera straight from the plant. I know you can order whole plants, and that you can get long term use out of just one. So it's a good investment. The best way i see this being incorporated into the toner, is to add anywhere from a teaspoon to a tablespoon (depending on what aloe ratio you want) to the toner while it's still pretty warm. Not hot enough to destroy any beneficial enzymes, but just warm enough to where it blends in when stirred/shaken.

I know many people swear by aloe vera as a natural moisturizer, so this might be a great way to make yourself an all in one toner/moisturizer. I have never tried this, but it seems like it'd be a good experiment

MemberMember
(@joga113)

Posted : 10/31/2012 4:25 pm

if it can be an experiment, so anything had a red and dry skin with green tea/salt toner ? i'm the one ?

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 11/12/2012 7:47 pm

Your question got me thinking about possible additives that might help in moisturizing dry skin. The first thing that came to mind was aloe vera straight from the plant. I know you can order whole plants, and that you can get long term use out of just one. So it's a good investment.

Just saw that they sell aloe leaves at whole foods market in the U.S. I may pick one up and try experimenting with adding a bit to the toner like i described a couple posts ago. But for anyone else interested in that for dealing with dry skin, it seems like a great alternative to ordering a whole plant. This way if it doesn't give you the desired results, you didn't shell out a load of money for a whole plant. One large leaf cost something like $1.99

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 11/13/2012 3:47 pm

I just noticed some huge single leaves at my local Food Co-op. The label says they are from a grower in Southern CA called Aloe Barn. I was wondering how to extract the juice from the leaf and found this:

http://knowledgehoun..._juice_aloe.htm

I'd like to try this, and am curious to know if anyone has experience they could share.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 11/13/2012 8:05 pm

Just want to emphasize again that if anyone does add aloe to the toner, it'd be best if added when the toner is warm and not still boiling hot. This way you don't damage the beneficial enzymes in the gel. This could be a great solution for those looking for an all in one acne fighter/toner/moisturizer. I haven't experimented with the ratio of aloe yet, so that may take some trial and error on your part. I hope to try this soon though

MemberMember
(@swedan)

Posted : 11/14/2012 12:50 pm

Tempted to give this another go... BP is starting to make me upset. I don't think I gave it enough time last try, plus I freaked out when I broke out from quitting BP (I'd suppose).

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 11/15/2012 6:44 pm

Tempted to give this another go... BP is starting to make me upset. I don't think I gave it enough time last try, plus I freaked out when I broke out from quitting BP (I'd suppose).

BP is pretty strong stuff. So it may indeed take time for your face to adjust. You might try making the toner with Green Rooibos Tea instead this time. If you're curious about it, i edited the original post a while back with some info

MemberMember
(@swedan)

Posted : 11/16/2012 12:29 am

BP is pretty strong stuff. So it may indeed take time for your face to adjust. You might try making the toner with Green Rooibos Tea instead this time. If you're curious about it, i edited the original post a while back with some info

I noticed that it had some new info, yeah. I'll see if I can find it where I live.

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 11/18/2012 3:29 pm

I just noticed some huge single leaves at my local Food Co-op. The label says they are from a grower in Southern CA called Aloe Barn. I was wondering how to extract the juice from the leaf and found this:

http://knowledgehoun..._juice_aloe.htm

I'd like to try this, and am curious to know if anyone has experience they could share.

I tried this and it works really well. I put it in a blender to liquify it and am storing it in the refrigerator. A little goes a long way!

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 11/26/2012 6:55 am

Still liking this toner :) I'm thinking of adding tea tree oil to it though to see how that goes.

I was just have a few questions though -

how much TTO do you think I should add? would it be best to add it when it's completely cooled and do you think it would be ok to have both ACV and TTO in the one batch or maybe both would be too harsh?

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 11/26/2012 2:25 pm

Honestly Lilly I have never used tea tree oil before. It seems like every place i'm looking is saying 1-2 drops is about all you need. I suppose it depends on how much liquid you're adding it to. Also ACV and TTO would indeed be a powerful concoction, so i doubt you'd need much of each. Since this recipe makes about a cup and a half of toner (roughly), then you shouldn't need more than a teaspoon at most of ACV. Also give the toner a good shake before applying since the oil won't mix with the water very efficiently.

I'd browse any and all tea tree oil forums to double check on how much to dilute. Too much of that stuff can be harsh, from what i've read

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 11/26/2012 2:48 pm

Here's a link to a thread about Tea Tree Oil: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/319601-quality-of-tea-tree-oil/

Message #4 addresses dilutions.

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 11/26/2012 8:24 pm

Thank you both :)

And that's a helpful thread gingergirl22!

It's been a while since I've used TTO so I think for now I'll just use it as a spot treatment and see how my skin reacts to it before adding it to the toner

MemberMember
(@ramblinrose)

Posted : 12/06/2012 9:43 pm

i'm glad to see this thread thrives! ive been away awhile & cant say that i have been consistent. but i have noticed an improvement in the past 3-6 months! i am still getting fairly regular breakouts no matter what my diet or how often i drink water but now i only have 1 or 2 pimples at a time that turn into whiteheads. i still battle with keeping up with a regimen.

so thats my update! i like the toner, i believe it works, and it can work even better if u follow a regimen! thank you again for sharing your recipe with us onefatalgoose!

*i forgot to say that i added either a tsp or a tbsp of ACV and no more than 1 drop of TTO per green tea bag used*