Notifications
Clear all

asian skin and FRAXEL

MemberMember
(@mrobi)

Posted : 06/10/2009 11:16 am

Belly_dance.....I'm gonna have my first Fraxel Restore treatment tomorrow.....wish me luck!!!!

MemberMember
(@mrobi)

Posted : 06/11/2009 8:23 pm

Hey all,

I'm pretty excited....just had my first Fraxel Restore treatment today!!! Whoo whooo I just have to share with you my experience!!

If I had the guts, I'll probably create my own blog or something...but anyhow here's how it went down:

Arrived at the derm's office...and talked to the RN..she applied the numbing cream and let it sit for about one hour. Then the doctor looked at my skin again and they agreed to up the intensity from 40 to 45 joule. I believe it was level 6 (density coverage at 15%) and I had 8 passes (from the original 6 as intended). The RN was going to do 10-12 on some scars but looks like she decided to do full face at 8. The mj was 1176 (which means it's about 1.176 mm deep I think? That was satisfying to know since my smoothbeam treatment was about 450 mj at the most...so hopefully this will do some good!)

Pain: It was much more tolerable than Smoothbeam at any given day (I had smoothbeam from level 10-15, 10 being quite low in smoothbeam setting). I'd have to say the first 3-4 passes were VERY tolerable (done horizontally), 2nd passes (the 5th-8th) were done vertically, and by the 7th I was kinda ready to be over..but it was very much tolerable. I made a comment to her about

I was given a sample size Aquaphor (and another tube of .01% hydrocortisone) just for today...will be using lots of moisturizers (acquaphor and Gold Bond aloe vera/vitamin C) and SPF 30 sunscreen. After one week, I'll resume my 4% hydrocortisone again....

Right now I definitely look like i have severe sunburn...(treatment was around noon)...six hours later face is not numb..no pain..just smothered in moisturizers....

They suggested six weeks treatment apart instead of 3-4 like some other have been suggested.

So far, my face is semi-swollen....my deep, 1 mm rolling scars are so plump, they're practically flat! I made a joke to my RN that if this was the end result, I'd be happy...she smiled and we both know that was wishful thinking on my part...but if I get 20-40% from this result (which she says supposed to be around 30) then all is worthwhile...

cross my fingers!!!

Edit: I kinda joked with her about 'wow...45 joules and I'm already kinda clenching my fists a bit...wonder how level 7 at 70 joule feels like...she made a comment that it's not supposed to hurt that much different...

MemberMember
(@mrobi)

Posted : 06/11/2009 8:50 pm

Sorry to add again.....Belly....if you're still reading, I have a curious question:

You said that not until you had your 6th-8th treatment at higher setting then your skin starts to experience great improvements.

But wouldn't your first five treatments kinda 'prep' your overall skin or at least have a compounded minor improvements? I wonder if say you had three treatments at 70mj VS 8 treatments that you did now you'd still have the same result? Maybe the first five sessions paved the way for your later (and more aggressive) treatments? I don't know if I'm making sense.

I'm pretty happy so far with how my skin feels...definitely feel like I've done something (tingly inside..kinda underneath my skin is tight and had that 'muscle worked out' kinda feel).

You had said at least five treatments to see results....I'm planning on doing 4 for now...hope that at least will give me decent (25-30%) improvements....

MemberMember
(@bellydance_me)

Posted : 06/13/2009 12:05 am

But wouldn't your first five treatments kinda 'prep' your overall skin or at least have a compounded minor improvements? I wonder if say you had three treatments at 70mj VS 8 treatments that you did now you'd still have the same result? Maybe the first five sessions paved the way for your later (and more aggressive) treatments? I don't know if I'm making sense.

I've always stated in this forum that I've had good results with my first 5 Fraxels, with approximately 35% improvement. In fact, I was completely happy with my first 5 Fraxels UNTIL I saw what the maximum energy level could do to my skin with my 6th, 7th and 8th Fraxels. Only then I realized wow, I hope I had tried the max energy earlier so that I could have saved my money, energy, and days off from work.

So yes, I've had good improvements from my first 5 Fraxels with medium settings. However, I could not help but wish that I had met a doctor who treated me with high energy levels starting my 1st treatment. Then I wouldn't have needed 8 Fraxels. It would have been 4 or 5 and that'd be it.

MemberMember
(@mrobi)

Posted : 06/13/2009 1:04 am

I've always stated in this forum that I've had good results with my first 5 Fraxels, with approximately 35% improvement. In fact, I was completely happy with my first 5 Fraxels UNTIL I saw what the maximum energy level could do to my skin with my 6th, 7th and 8th Fraxels. Only then I realized wow, I hope I had tried the max energy earlier so that I could have saved my money, energy, and days off from work.

So yes, I've had good improvements from my first 5 Fraxels with medium settings. However, I could not help but wish that I had met a doctor who treated me with high energy levels starting my 1st treatment. Then I wouldn't have needed 8 Fraxels. It would have been 4 or 5 and that'd be it.

Ah ok got it!! I'm hoping for 35% also! We'll see if my skin responds quite well to 45 joule, maybe they'll up it just for the scars next time I'll see them (in six weeks)..

MemberMember
(@uc-951)

Posted : 06/16/2009 4:23 pm

UC 951, I'm glad I read your posts. I have a lot in common with you. I am a Fitzpatrick IV and Korean. I have sensitive skin and I also don't consider my scarring that bad.. However in harsh lighting I feel like absolute shit. It's only on my right cheek too. The type of scarring that goes away when you pull at your skin. Anyways, I'm very curious as to how your treatments go. I saw that you mentioned in one of your posts about going to a dermatologist in Fullerton. Could you be speaking about Premiere Dermatology? Please let me know how your treatments are going and keep me updated! I'm currently on a course of Accutane (I kick myself in the ass for not doing this sooner), and it's upsetting that I cannot get any scar treatments for a long long time. 3 months left on my course and 6 months after that. However, I am hoping to get some insight from your treatments, seeing as how we have many similarities in skin type. Oh and I saw that you mentioned you got a filler injected at one point and it wore off correct? While you had the filler did it do its purpose? I ask this because I'm hoping to get some fillers put in after I finish my course, to give me some temporary satisfaction while I wait for my skin to heal from Accutane. Hope to hear from you man, and good luck!

Hey,

Yeah I will keep this updated with what I do with my skin. I am getting a spot treatment from my derm with DeepFX laser next Wednesday (June 24, '09) just to see how my skin heals/deals with the laser. This is my own preference to do this as I don't want to regret doing my face with the CO2 energy. Note, I am doing DeepFX. Not Active FX, or TotalFX at that. From what I've researched DeepFX is quite similar to Fraxel Re:pair in that both are fractionated carbon dioxide lasers. Anyhow, after I get the sample spot of DeepFX I will determine if I will get my cheeks and forehead done.

I was wondering, if you could send me pictures of your fraxel experience via email (i can send you my adress) because on the forums all I see is as follows, [attachement:fraxel_123] kind of thing.

Sure, I will take a few pics and email them to you. Do you mind posting your address here? I have disabled PM.

MemberMember
(@bellydance_me)

Posted : 06/17/2009 7:02 pm

Got your address. You should delete it now. I'll email you the pics.

MemberMember
(@mills)

Posted : 06/17/2009 7:23 pm

do you get most of the collagen production during the 5 sessions or after the 5 sessions are complete?

MemberMember
(@swtjessy23)

Posted : 06/24/2009 8:42 pm

I saw that the treatments were 1200 each?? I live on the West coast and would be willing to travel to have this done. How long do you think I would need to stay there before flying home?

Hi swtjessy23, my apologies for the late reply. I've been out of country for a while.

I personally wouldn't fly to go see Dr. Rokhsar if I were living on the west coast. Remember, you'll need at least 5 Fraxels, spaced between each month. That means, you'll have to fly every month and stay in NY at least for 5 days to look half decent. That'll cost you more than $2000 for each trip!!

I believe there are some experienced doctors in the west coast. Look for ones that are used to treating patients with acne scars...then they'll be willing to use the higher energy settings. I really don't think it's worth flying and going through all of that.

Hi Bellydance_me,

I know, it would be a lot of money - but from what I've read it seems as though he is the best.

Is it important to have it done every month? I was planning on doing one in December, then January, (skip February) March, (skip April) and then not until May.

I really wanted to see him for my consultation and the first fraxel and then possibly get a recommendation from him for a Dr. on the West coast.

Any advice you can provide from your experiences would be sooo appreciated!!

Thanks again :)

MemberMember
(@dilemma)

Posted : 06/28/2009 11:35 pm

Hi guys!

I'm an oldie who hasn't posted in a while. I'm Korean with medium skin (don't know the skin color type but I'm a MAC NC30 shade). I've had three Fraxel Restore procedures done, all on low mjs (15, 16, and 18). My third one was three weeks ago at 18mj with 8 passes. It was the strongest the RN would go because she was very worried I might experience hyperpigmentation. My scars are not too deep and I did not want to risk discoloration so I did not object to the low settings. Well, after three weeks my skin is still reddish/tannish/brownish in the areas where the Fraxel passed. It is very different from the previous two Fraxels where my skin returned to its usual color after a week or so.

My fourth Fraxel was scheduled for next week but I postponed it until late August to give my skin time to heal and resume its normal coloring. The doctor told me it is temporary discoloration and told me to contine using hydroquinone, Neocutis and Journee. I'm inclined to believe her (after all, my skin has been "lasered" and surely the skin needs time to heal!) but in moments of panic, I get so worried that the discoloration will never go away. So please, guys, have you experienced discoloration and did it disappear and if so, how long did it take? What kind of treatments did you use? My cheeks and forehead are definitely a darker color than around my eyes and although it can be covered with makeup, it is still quite noticeable. My fraxel treatments weren't even that intense but I can't believe I'm experiencing discoloration! p.s. i have not seen much improvement in the scars...

MemberMember
(@uc-951)

Posted : 07/13/2009 1:13 pm

Hi guys!

I'm an oldie who hasn't posted in a while. I'm Korean with medium skin (don't know the skin color type but I'm a MAC NC30 shade). I've had three Fraxel Restore procedures done, all on low mjs (15, 16, and 18). My third one was three weeks ago at 18mj with 8 passes. It was the strongest the RN would go because she was very worried I might experience hyperpigmentation. My scars are not too deep and I did not want to risk discoloration so I did not object to the low settings. Well, after three weeks my skin is still reddish/tannish/brownish in the areas where the Fraxel passed. It is very different from the previous two Fraxels where my skin returned to its usual color after a week or so.

My fourth Fraxel was scheduled for next week but I postponed it until late August to give my skin time to heal and resume its normal coloring. The doctor told me it is temporary discoloration and told me to contine using hydroquinone, Neocutis and Journee. I'm inclined to believe her (after all, my skin has been "lasered" and surely the skin needs time to heal!) but in moments of panic, I get so worried that the discoloration will never go away. So please, guys, have you experienced discoloration and did it disappear and if so, how long did it take? What kind of treatments did you use? My cheeks and forehead are definitely a darker color than around my eyes and although it can be covered with makeup, it is still quite noticeable. My fraxel treatments weren't even that intense but I can't believe I'm experiencing discoloration! p.s. i have not seen much improvement in the scars...

Hello,

Mind you I had the SR750 Fraxel re:store (I guess there are two different restore's). Basically, if you did or didn't have to put some kind of blue dye on your face for the laser to "read" the skin, than that determines which laser you probably had. Anyhow, I had the old one where blue dye is necessary and I had about five or six treatments spaced about six weeks apart (obviously, I am still unhappy with my skin, but I'm not sure if the Fraxel did or didn't help actually, it was like two years ago.). So yeah, I can say now that I didn't experience any hyperpigmentation. I hear I am a fitzpatrick IV, I basically can tan very easily but I do eventually burn. I don't know what the settings were for me, but on the old laser I think my Doctor said they were pretty low.

Are you staying out of the sun and stuff for awhile? That is a must. I actually didn't though, I did whatever but that was my mistake. Anyhow I do recall like the skin in certain areas looking a little darker but it would fade away within like at most, two weeks. Don't worry but take it as a precaution if you're concerned with the pigmentation more so than the scarring. I had a spot treatment of the DeepFX on a tiny little scar on my cheek to see how the laser itself would do on my skin as I too am Korean. Sure enough, the are is a lot darker now ha. I actually dont think its funny at all, but it is a little funny how I'm so concerned about my appearance that I might end up messing up my own skin. I new for some reason the carbon dioxide laser would be different on my skin, so I arranged the spot treatment to see for myself. I plan on getting the new SR1500 Fraxel Re:store laser in the future as I pretty much have had the style of laser in the past, just I hear this one is newer and I don't have to put that blue crap on my face. Anyhow, I plan on actually doing high settings, but just to be sure I don't count my chickens too soon if all goes planned and I can choose my settings I think I would start at 35mj as the max for the new one is 70mj. I was hearing from another lady on here whom is Asian as well and she has been getting 70mj full face with no regrets. And I do here the more energy your skin can handle the better. Anyhow, good luck. Don't worry im sure you're pretty.

MemberMember
(@kitty_25)

Posted : 07/20/2009 6:26 am

Got your address. You should delete it now. I'll email you the pics.

Hi Bellydance_me!

I read all your posts. I'm asian and have yellowish medium dark skin. I got my first fraxel treatment on Feb 09. I got two treatments, and now I can see small improvements. On my last treatment I had 40MJ, TL 6, 8 passes. As u mention, I might need to go for a deeper energy level to improve my acne scars. But I hava also noiticed that my whole skin tone is a little bit darker. I'm also a little bit scare to take more treatment. I might become more dark. Thanks for sharing your experiences in this thread.

Do you mind sharing your before and after pictures in private?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@uc-951)

Posted : 08/15/2009 2:47 pm

Bellydance,

How are you? I tried sending a message but it backfired.

MemberMember
(@raiderdood)

Posted : 08/15/2009 3:38 pm

hey bellydance, just curious, if you obtained 35% improvement after 5 sessions with decent intensity.. what do you think your outcome will be after 8 treatments and having more aggressive treatments?

MemberMember
(@vitaminsvitamins)

Posted : 07/27/2010 10:24 pm

Hi,

I'm new here. Can anyone recommend a good dermatologist in NYC that specializes in Asian skin for for fraxel?

thanks

MemberMember
(@lilangelnana)

Posted : 03/28/2011 4:05 pm

I am an Asian male with, I think, Type II skin. I just had my 2nd fraxel a week ago. The settings have been:

1st: 10, 125

2nd: 12, 125

After the 1st Fraxel, I was swollen for a day and red for about 3-4 days. I did not experience hyperpigmentation. I think the setting was too low and I did not see a difference at all. I had my 2nd Fraxel 3 weeks later and was swollen for a day and red for about 4-5 days, though I'm still a little bit red in the cheeks after the 7-8th day. I have not seen a noticeable difference in the scars, but I do see that my skin tons seems smoother and is "glowing". But I am not sure because it is sunny where I am (San Francisco) and it could be due to the fact that my face is a little tanned from the sun.

I will post again after my 3rd. I hope to see some results then. Crossing my fingers.

I know its been a long time since you posted this, BUT if anyone reads your post they might get confused. Asians do not have type II skin (Fitzpatrick) . they are either III or IV or in between. dont treat asian skin as a II. EVER. (I'm like a pale vampire and I know for sure I am not a II. I regret it now that I didnt figure it out earlier)

MemberMember
(@mrjarjarbinks77)

Posted : 03/29/2011 11:03 am

it has been about 25 days since my 4th fraxel and my skin looks pretty good. its still a little red but overall, the texture is smoother and my scars are barely noticeable when i wear makeup. i would say that i have a 40 to 50 percent improvement. my skin HAS lost some pigmentation but who cares!

i actually have people telling me that my face looks like its glowing. i can finally enjoy life and be a part of society without being all self conscious. Man, it is a great feeling

i am glad i did fraxel.

Hey Chi-girl. Congrats.

I've been pretty depressed about this stuff myself and I am really considering fraxel. 40-50% improvement is AMAZING. I would kill for that. Where did you go? DId you go to NYC to see that Dr. Roshaia or whatever his name is? The expensive doctor but, the one with great experience?

How much time did you take off from work & school? These fraxel non ablative laser treatments say there is little down time for healing but, its complete shit and only true in contrast to ablative laser treatments if I am not mistaken. I am looking into a consultation shortly. Did you find the place yourself or did your dermatologist help you? When did you notice most of the results? How long is the down time give or take?

I found a place that will do spot treatments. A specific scar that is healing but, I am not impressed with I want to get help fixing. From what you said, it sounds like it was full face. Sounds like its made a world of difference. I am quite happy for you. With dating, socializing, work, its nice to have peace from skin complications. I've sacrificed so much of my eating habits, given up dates, dating, flaked cause of my skin or now a shallow scar. Its terrible on the self esteem, on my beliefs, and confidence. I am unfortunately on my own for all this stuff. My rents cannot help out cause of finances. I am a student so, I have some bills but, this is something I am really serious about it. How expensive was it - rough idea & mention currency so, I know what we are speaking about exactly.

If you can think of any questions for consultations, please let me know. Congrats again on your success./

MemberMember
(@animay)

Posted : 04/06/2011 11:44 am

I'm asian female, 25 and getting my first fraxel tomorrow... kinda scary hearing bout all this hyperpigmintation. I went in for my consultation about 5 weeks ago and she recommeneded that I use hydroquinon 4% twice daily in the morning and night for at least 4 weeks before I can start my fraxel. Hydroquinon should help my skin from getting hyperpigmintation. I'm still worried, but I've had acne scars since I was 10. I've been reading everyones forums.. and don't see anywhere where someone actually treated their skin before fraxel. I do hope that treating my skin prior to the procedure will help. I will update everyone with my progress. I'm to do a series of 6 treatments spaced 4 weeks apart. I am offered to take vicoden (pain reliever) and Xanax for anxiety, but I'm not due to that I won't have a driver. I've also read how painful the produres are, but I think I can tolerate pain pretty well.. due to the fact I've given birth 5 times with no pain meds. lol... alright enough said... will post u soon.

MemberMember
(@runnyeggsham)

Posted : 04/11/2013 6:58 pm

Kinda of dead for a while. Updates? New guinea pigs?