Notifications
Clear all

Spontaneous Scarring Condition - AMVC - Atrophia Maculosa Varioliformis Cutis - Pitted Scars Suddenly Appearing - Not Acne

MemberMember
(@govetstates)

Posted : 06/07/2023 3:51 am

@boafriend

I wanted to leave an update. I finally found a way to treat this condition and it is indeed a Rosacea. Google "orange peel texture and rosacea" and you will find plenty of examples of people with Rosacea suffering from the same thing we do - textured skin, random lines, large pores.

This is what I have done to fix my skin:

First week:

Morning - Finacea 15% Gel (it was super painful at first, my skin was red and hurt for 1-2 hours after application, but you need to push through)

Evening - chloramphenicol ointment.

Week 2-now:

Morning - Finacea 15% Gel (it got better and better and now I do not feel it at all)

Evening - vaseline to prevent tewl and dryness from Finacea.

I've been using Finacea and vaseline for almost a month now and my skin is better by 90%. There are some large pores left and I think they might be permanent but overall my texture is freaking amazing. Do not wash your face with anything as it will strip your moisture barrier and do not apply any moisturizers as they will feed the bacteria. Only wash your face with cold water and do not stay in the heat.

MemberMember
(@boafriend)

Posted : 06/07/2023 9:59 am

Posted by: @Kukaku

@boafriend

I wanted to leave an update. I finally found a way to treat this condition and it is indeed a Rosacea. Google "orange peel texture and rosacea" and you will find plenty of examples of people with Rosacea suffering from the same thing we do - textured skin, random lines, large pores.

First week:

Morning - Finacea 15% Gel (it was super painful at first, my skin was red and hurt for 1-2 hours after application, but you need to push through)

Week 2-now:

Morning - Finacea 15% Gel (it got better and better and now I do not feel it at all)

I've been using Finacea and vaseline for almost a month now and my skin is better by 90%. There are some large pores left and I think they might be permanent but overall my texture is freaking amazing. Do not wash your face with anything as it will strip your moisture barrier and do not apply any moisturizers as they will feed the bacteria. Only wash your face with cold water and do not stay in the heat.

This is great to read but you have to monitor over time and see if scarring continues, cuz AMVC comes and goes for me, so I imagine it could be the same for others. Also, rosacea is an odd diagnosis since it is characterized by splotchy redness, and a lot of people here and elsewhere have had relatively normal skin with no redness, and just random scars forming.

MemberMember
(@govetstates)

Posted : 06/08/2023 12:57 am

Posted by: @Boafriend

@boafriend

First week:

Week 2-now:

This is great to read but you have to monitor over time and see if scarring continues, cuz AMVC comes and goes for me, so I imagine it could be the same for others. Also, rosacea is an odd diagnosis since it is characterized by splotchy redness, and a lot of people here and elsewhere have had relatively normal skin with no redness, and just random scars forming.

Apparently rosacea doesn't always present as redness. Besides, if you're not white, it might be difficult to spot mild redness. Either way, I'm pretty sure most of us are having some kind of inflammation under the skin and even if it's not rosacea per se, it's a very similar condition. I'd guess brought on by the combination of 1)destroyed moisture barrier 2)overgrowth of some bacteria 3) overactive immune response that prevents skin barrier from healing and makes it easier for the bacteria to continue wreaking havoc. I strongly believe all 3 need to be addressed to fix the skin. So I started with a strong broad spectrum antibiotic for the first week, then continued with Finacea which reduces inflammation and also has mild antibacterial properties and seal the skin with vaseline to help the skin repair at night.

The difference is absolutely MASSIVE. Give it a try. Although, it did hurt a lot for the first week or so, but it gets better. Even the deepest "scars" are almost gone by now. The only issue that's left is large pores but tbh it doesn't bother me too much. I guess I will continue using Finacea for at least a year, who knows maybe even for the rest of my life if needs be. Small price to pay for having smooth skin. Anyway, hope it helps. At least there would be one story of someone being successful in treating this condition.

MemberMember
(@boafriend)

Posted : 06/08/2023 1:22 am

@boafriend

First week:

Week 2-now:

Apparently rosacea doesn't always present as redness. Besides, if you're not white, it might be difficult to spot mild redness. Either way, I'm pretty sure most of us are having some kind of inflammation under the skin and even if it's not rosacea per se, it's a very similar condition. I'd guess brought on by the combination of 1)destroyed moisture barrier 2)overgrowth of some bacteria 3) overactive immune response that prevents skin barrier from healing and makes it easier for the bacteria to continue wreaking havoc. I strongly believe all 3 need to be addressed to fix the skin. So I started with a strong broad spectrum antibiotic for the first week, then continued with Finacea which reduces inflammation and also has mild antibacterial properties and seal the skin with vaseline to help the skin repair at night.

The difference is absolutely MASSIVE. Give it a try. Although, it did hurt a lot for the first week or so, but it gets better. Even the deepest "scars" are almost gone by now. The only issue that's left is large pores but tbh it doesn't bother me too much. I guess I will continue using Finacea for at least a year, who knows maybe even for the rest of my life if needs be. Small price to pay for having smooth skin. Anyway, hope it helps. At least there would be one story of someone being successful in treating this condition.

Interesting because I have been on tretinoin for over a year now and I assume this wont do the same thing Finacea does.

MemberMember
(@bluebubbles)

Posted : 11/04/2023 2:08 am

@boafriend

First week:

Week 2-now:

This thread is very long so I havent read all of it, but I have the same thing you described.

please describe the lines you are talking about, I think I have it.

had anything helped the large pores?

MemberMember
(@bluebubbles)

Posted : 11/04/2023 2:10 am

On 6/15/2021 at 3:12 AM, Wingman1 said:

Sorry I found the paper but it was actually for another skin condition. I just read it wrong. Sorry.

My thoughts still stand on this tho as I did read another article that may explain your tingling and twitching... possibly.

[Edited link out]

She also has an issue with her body not being able to absorb b12. Dont think she suffered AMVC but I would add that this goes majorly under reported so she could have but just never noticed it.

Thank you. I read through her post but I don't believe this is my issue. I have never had a metallic taste in my mouth nor have I had ringing in my ears and just zero energy.

Has anyone in this thread tried using a retinoid or retinol? I know many pages back years ago, many members felt topical vitamin A "caused" spontaneous scarring or made it worse. I have not been able to find anyone who either saw improvement from using it over time or undergoing any kind of cosmetic treatment.

Yes, tretinion certainly caused mine 🙁

This post was modified 6 months ago by Ishayat
MemberMember
(@bluebubbles)

Posted : 11/04/2023 2:14 am

Posted by: @jellyy

I have this amvc scarring after accutane. My skin doesn't scar at all from pimples/acne before accutane. After last dose of accutane, my skin scar very easily, from products that shouldn't make a normal skin scar, like exfoliating products, all sorts of scar treatments like laser, microneedling, chemical peelings. Everything!I can't do any scar treatments at all or i get new scars or the current scars deepen.

My skin is so dry that there are patches of dry rough skin that peels, then it leaves scars too. These are all caused by accutane and i don't know what to do.

No one seem to have the answer why accutane caused this. Worse is most people don't even know accutane can caused this.

Does anyone here know why accutane caused the skin to scar so easily and abnormally? Any solution to this?

Same experience with tretinion

MemberMember
(@bluebubbles)

Posted : 11/04/2023 2:19 am

Posted by: @Vanderlinden

Hey guys,

Im new to this discussion board, but Im committed tostaying and figuring this out for all of us. Like boafriend, I feelterrible about this condition. Ive always been handsome, and to have my skin consistently scar for no reason, little by little,is crushing.

Judging by his photos, my skin might be really similar to boafriends. But anyway, here are my facts:

- ethnicity: Asian (Japanese) and Latino (Spaniard + South American Indigenous)

- autoimmune issues?: Yes; eczema from birth; allergies to dogs, cats.

- stress levels: fairly high (Im working to lower them)

- skin type: oily, dry, sensitive, prone to cystic acne

- sleep patterns: tend to stay up late and get ok sleep quality.

- my diet: few vegetables for years, few fruits, lots of carbs, some protein. Trying to change that. I cut out gluten and dairy.

- exercise habits: not much for years. Trying to get more active on weightlifting.

- Vitamin A/Accutane use: No Accutane. Some light retinol usage in my teens, over a decade ago.

- spontaneous scarring began in summer 2019. Very subtle at first.

- fragile skin? Yes. I first noticed the scarring because I itched my cheek with my index finger nail, and itleft a pitted scar! To this day, my facial skin seems unableto heal without atrophic scarring.

- spontaneous scarring is concentrated on my cheeks

- in summer 2020, I also developed the nasolabial folds that boafriend mentioned. Theyre still with me.

- the scars and nasolabial folds are less visible in the morning.I dont know why.

Some comments: First, Ive found a way to eliminate cystic acne for my skin type (at least, its worked in my case). I use a washcloth in cold water to gently scrub my face in the morning and evening. Then I hydrate with plant derived Squalene oil (from The Ordinary). Thats it. It treats the three causes of cystic acne: damage to pores, clogged dead skin, and oil. The cold water doesnt damage the pores and the washcloth removes the oil and dead skin. Its so much more effective than using any commercial product, and I think more people with cystic acne should try it!

Ok, but now to the spontaneous scarring. Despite ending my cystic acne, I still get spontaneous scars (details in the list above). Im really perplexed by this condition. One thought that I havent seen in the forum so far: Has anyone considered that this might be a heavy metal issue? My scarring started a couple years after I cut gluten. Rice, which I eat a lot, is known to retain heavy metals from the soil. Could it also be caused by exposure to sunlight? Boafriend, do you use heavy sunscreen?

One other miscellaneous fact:the summer of 2019 I stopped using dailyfrequent antihistamine medication for allergies, which Id used daily for over a decade. Did that affect my immune system? No idea, but worth mentioning. Sometimes unlikely facts can spark an idea in someone else.

Id really like to coordinate with you guys ( @boafriend, @WishCleanand anyone else) to try stuff out and see if it makes a difference. Im willing to be a bit of a guinea pig if you guys have ideas. Lets figure this out, because its just fing awful.

P.S. Any typos are the result of my iPhone.

We are veryyy similar. Yes I also have the weird issue where if I scratch my skin even casually or accidentally, it will leave a pitted scar on my face !

MemberMember
(@govetstates)

Posted : 01/27/2024 8:48 am

Posted by: @Bluebubbles

@boafriend

First week:

Week 2-now:

This thread is very long so I havent read all of it, but I have the same thing you described.

please describe the lines you are talking about, I think I have it.

had anything helped the large pores?

Hey how are you doing? Those lines look like pores merging together and stretching, forming what looks like linear pigmented scars. It's likely the result of pores enlargement and broken capillaries.

Overall, I'm doing much better. If your texture is perfect in the morning, then gets worse throughout the day, then you're likely suffering from destroyed moisture barrier. The water accumulates in your face while you're sleeping, then it loses it cause of heat(caused by rosacea) and/or destroyed stratum corneum. In other words, most of these imperfections were always there, they just weren't visible cause your skin was hydrated.

This is the routine I'm currently following:

Morning: absolutely nothing, I don't even wash my face.

Evening: wash my face with cold water, then immediately apply cosrx Snail Mucin, then cosrx green tea gel cream, then wait ~20 min until my skin is dry and sort of "seal" it with Finacea gel 15%. Snail mucin and moisturizer fix the hydration issue while Finacea combats inflammation/bacteria/acne. At first it would only help my skin retain moisture for 2-3 hours after waking up, but now I have good skin for most of the day. Yes, it gets worse in the evening, but it's definitely something I can live with and it is getting better day by day. Hope that helps.