Notifications
Clear all

Lymecycline / Tetralysal 300

MemberMember
(@tussa)

Posted : 11/19/2010 7:12 am

I started using tetralysal 300 (1 capsule a day) 3,5 weeks ago. The last week I've broken out so bad on my chin and between my eyebrows. I even got two big spots on my right cheek, where I never break out. Wondering if this is supposed to happen, and if I should continue taking the antibiotics? However, I'm also on epiduo and diane35/dianette (bcp), which I started using about the same time as I started using tetralysal, so I can't be sure what drug to blame for this. But shouldn't the antibiotics help with "calming down" possible initial breakouts from other acne medications? When I asked my dermatologist if I might experience a worsening of my acne from tetralysal and epiduo, he said no, so I'm a bit worried about this.

MemberMember
(@matt-f)

Posted : 11/19/2010 10:04 am

I started using tetralysal 300 (1 capsule a day) 3,5 weeks ago. The last week I've broken out so bad on my chin and between my eyebrows. I even got two big spots on my right cheek, where I never break out. Wondering if this is supposed to happen, and if I should continue taking the antibiotics? However, I'm also on epiduo and diane35/dianette (bcp), which I started using about the same time as I started using tetralysal, so I can't be sure what drug to blame for this. But shouldn't the antibiotics help with "calming down" possible initial breakouts from other acne medications? When I asked my dermatologist if I might experience a worsening of my acne from tetralysal and epiduo, he said no, so I'm a bit worried about this.

In the past with antibiotics my skin never brokeout. One thing to bare in mind is that Lymecycline is, as far as I'm aware, stronger than other antibiotics. Isn't it a step below accutane? And accutane has an initial breakout for a lot of people, right? This could be why.

MemberMember
(@rosie19)

Posted : 11/21/2010 8:32 pm

I've had these pills sitting on my shelf for a month now - really dont want to start another course of antibiotics because i've been on so many in the past i've lost count.

going to start the course tomorrow, quite worried about the amount of replies saying they had really bad breakouts, definitely don't want that, my skins terrible..

MemberMember
(@whiterose)

Posted : 12/03/2010 2:46 pm

Hi guys

I am new here, this is my first post. Thanks for all the useful info in this thread!

My GP has recently prescribed me Lymecycline, an 84 day course (1 tablet per day). Ive been taking them for around a week but have been experiencing nausea and quite bad stomach pains which last all day. I have recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease after nearly 2 years of feeling awful so I could really do without these tablets making me unwell as I just could not bear to go back to how I was back then.

In the meantime I have been referred to a dermatologist so am waiting for an appointment to come through. Am I best carrying on with the tablets in the meantime, are the symtoms likely to ease after my body gets used to them? Only problem is I dont want to wait ages to see a dermatologist and then find out they cant help me or are angry with me because I did not complete the course of lymecycline.

Im 27 now and have been experiencing acne since the age of about 13. My GP has prescribed topical treatments in the past and I was on Dianette for over 10 years, but with no real improvement. Also tried erythromycin without any improvement. Due to the stomach problems Ive had, my GP was initially reluctant to prescribe antibiotics in case they make me ill, so he has been proved right.

Just wanted to mention aswell that Ive only been on the tablets a week but my skin is terrible, Ive broken out in really sore cysts all around my chin and Im also having spots up the side of my cheeks which Ive not had before. However, I did expect this so I just hope its a good sign!

MemberMember
(@navygal)

Posted : 01/17/2011 3:01 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am 1 month in to Lymecycline.

Acne has all but cleared, i am 22.

A question around side effects.

Almost immediately after my first table - i began noticing scalp and eyebrow hairloss. 1 month later it has obviously got somewhat worse. i this something that lymecycline could have caused - and should i consider stopping it and asking my GP for something else? I haven't heard of side effects like this before but wondered if anyone had anything to say? I also have had an onset of some fairly irritated skin around my eyebrow & scalp area.

Obviosuly i dont want to stop the Lymecycline and get spots again if it is most likely not the culprit of this hair loss.

Any suggestions/advice/help welcome.

Thanks

Luke

hi, i know its quite a long time since this post but i was wondering what the outcome was with the hairloss as i have been on Lymecycline for a month now and i have also noticed the scalp hair loss and its really bugging me :(

MemberMember
(@janey36)

Posted : 02/04/2011 4:19 pm

Hi

I'm new here so hello guys I have suffered with Acne since my teens and I am now 36 years of age. In recent years I have been on dianette which did help a lot to control my acne but I came off that about a year ago and annoyingly my acne has started to return in the last 6 months. It's so depressing! I went back to the doctors about 10 weeks ago. He gave me Tetralysal 300. I have been taking 1 a day. After about 6 weeks my acne seemed to be clearing but now I am on my 10th week and I have started to get some bad painful cyst spots again so I'm feeling doubtful as to whether this is the best medicine for me. I would be very interested in hearing how others have got on with this antibiotic

MemberMember
(@mypoorface)

Posted : 02/18/2011 7:24 pm

Last year I got a reddish area around my nose, under my eye lid and side of my forehead.

I got given some anti fungal cream - Did nothing. Then some acne cream - did nothing. Then some gel for acne rosacea - Did nothing. Then finally got given the Tetralysal.

I was disappointed when i heard how long it takes for it to start working, and then i was absolutely shocked I had to go for a blood test after 2 months as a precaution to see if it wasn't screwing my liver up.

Toward the end of the 2 or 3 month period it was clearly working and I got given another course. Just finished it 2 weeks ago, and it appeared as it had cleared up. However in the last few days it looks as if it's starting all over. I dont want to be stuck taking these for the rest of my life. And I dont want to take something that is going to ruin my liver

MemberMember
(@paulh85)

Posted : 02/28/2011 2:40 pm

I've been taking Lymecycline for seven months now.

First month was alright, I guess the second and third months were almost clear, but I'd say that for the last four month's it's not done much at all.

I've got an appointment with my doctor on Saturday - feel I need to change this mdication, increase the strength or whatever - because it's just not working.

Granted, I would say that my acne's down to spots rather than being full-on, but it's a never-ending cycle and I'm breaking out each week, just like I was before I started taking it.

MemberMember
(@zoddie)

Posted : 03/06/2011 3:42 pm

I have been taking these capsules for about 2 weeks now, my face is claring up nicely now, however I was also given a cream to use with them and it did not work so I went back to my doctor who referred me to a dermatologist and I am now using quinoderm. If you can't get rid of them try it. Hopefully will be all clear in about a month !!

MemberMember
(@blabot)

Posted : 03/19/2011 7:49 pm

Hi All,

I'm almost 29 and been fighting the cysts and acne for almost 10 years now. You all probably know how this is difficult in our teenage years or our 20-ies. It actually ruins our life, so I decided to fight to the end and have some life along.

To be clear what my 'acne' is - it's not typical hormonal acne you can treat by topicals, creams, etc, it's more like 'inner' acne, that's coming from the bottom of a skin (very often not pickable), and also the cysts, blackheads and similar shit. I've been through many treatments in my life and I can guarantee one thing. If you won't cure yourself, doctors won't. Dermatologists or doctors, they are trying to help, but at the basis of the problem, they don't really care or actively look for research & treatment. Luckily I understood this long time ago and went on own investigation where the problem lies.

After about 8 years of social suffering one doctor in UK prescribed me Tetralysal 300 with lymecycline tablets. To make long story short, it made vast improvement and for first time of adult life I could breath really self confident. I've been on tetralysal for about 2x half years, which means a year together. During that time I had almost no problems.

Problem comes to period where you stop taking the tetralysal. All acne is back with same or more intensive grade than before and you need to start taking them again to get face clean. And this is unbearable for me in couple of last months. I've been trying to live off tetralysal and use my stock of these only in critical situations like vacation trips, social events, etc. However, acne always come back if you dont take tetralysal.

Yeah, I'm stopping my whining now. tetralysal definitely helps, it's been improving my skin better than anything else before. So we can agree it works, in my opinion, we can say it directly targets the cause of our symptoms - acne. Now our task should be to identify the cause and get rid of it. This is what I'm trying to do for last 10 years, identify the cause of my acne. It seems tetralysal is targeting the cause very well. Is here anyone who can help me, who can help us to ask/ find out what's TETRALYSAL and lymecycline itself targetting? Is that some bacteria in our stomachs? Is it some bacteria in our guts? Does that mean our environment / flora is not right?

This is where currently I am, trying to play along these terms and spot effect on my body. I just want to find something which will cure me 100%, not just temporarily. If I will find the cause, I can adjust my habits and what I eat and everything to it. Until we know the cause, we can become Tetralysal addicts, junkies, or eventually get to the point where the pills will stop having any effect.

I'm just wondering, how is possible that doctors are clearly able to see it helps a majority of us having 'adult' acne, but they don't do a sh*t about to identify the cause and do further test to pin-point the diagnosis. We have to do that by ourselves.

Please contact me if you want on my email: [removed] - to stay in touch. I will check back forum as well to see what do you think. Thanks everyone who read this far. Hopefully one day we will set ourselves free. Fingers crossed and believe, hope never dies!

MemberMember
(@blabot)

Posted : 03/20/2011 9:34 am

Tetralysal Facts:

- Lymecycline stops the protein production which the bacteria require for growth which slows down the bacteria growth and thereby stops the spreading of the infection.

- Diary products slow down lymecycline way to the system. Also following body minerals slow down effect of a drug: supplements containing calcium, aluminium, magnesium, zinc or iron.

- Tetralysal attacks the bacteria that are one of the main causes of acne. The name of these bacteria is propionibacterium acnes (Anaerobe) - our arch enemy!

- This medicine can also be used to treat many other infections caused by bacteria. It is also recommended for the treatment of infections caused by tetracycline-sensitive organisms and may be utilised in all conditions where tetracycline is indicated, including use in penicillin-sensitive patients for the treatment of staphylococcal infections. Typical indications include: ear, nose and throat infections; acute and chronic bronchitis (including prophylaxis); infections of the gastro-intestinal and urinary tracts; non-gonococcal urethritis of chlamydial origin and other chlamydial infections such as trachoma; rickettsial fevers; soft tissue infections.

- Tetralysal contains 408 mg of the active ingredient lymecycline (equivalent to 300 mg tetracycline base).

- The normal dose is one Tetralysal capsule twice a day - 100%.

- The higher dose is one Tetralysal capsule a day - 200%.

- The quadruple dose is two Tetralysal a day - 400%.

Propionibacterium acnes Facts:

- Propionibacterium acnes is a relatively slow growing, typically aerotolerant anaerobic gram positive bacterium (rod) that is linked to the skin condition acne; it can also cause chronic blepharitis (my case along with acne) and endophthalmitis. The genome of the bacterium has been sequenced and a study has shown several genes that can generate enzymes for degrading skin and proteins that may be immunogenic (activate the immune system). In other words, this bacteria kills the proteins in our body that have immunogenic effect on our face/back skin. As we don't have enough of immunity - we get acne. That's cause and effect of our troubles.

- It is part of the skin flora and lives on fatty acids in the sebaceous glands on sebum secreted by follicles. It may also be found throughout the gastrointestinal tract.

- When a pore is blocked, this anaerobic bacterium overgrows and secretes chemicals that break down the wall of the pore, spilling bacteria such as Staphylococcus aureus into the skin, and forming an acne lesion (folliculitis).

- P. acnes can be killed by benzoyl peroxide, tetracycline group and other antibiotics, and many antibacterial preparations, including clove oil

- The bacterium is killed by ultraviolet light. P. acnes is also especially sensitive to light in the 405a420 nm (near the ultraviolet) range due to an endogenic porphyrinacoporphyrin III. A total irradiance of 320 J/cmA is found to inactivate this bacteria in vitro.[5] This fact is used in phototherapy and that's why sun-light and sunbath usually helps overall look but can't make improvement on already existing cysts. Salicylic acid makes your skin more sensitive to UV light.

MemberMember
(@blabot)

Posted : 03/20/2011 10:14 am

Above summarized into visual schema:

post-147490-1300634194_thumb.jpg

JIdvP.jpg

MemberMember
(@blabot)

Posted : 03/22/2011 8:44 am

any comments? findings?

MemberMember
(@k19)

Posted : 03/31/2011 10:20 am

HI,

Been on Tetralysal 300g for about 2 months now. It has made no difference at all to be honest. Maybe i just need to stick out the 6months?

I have tried soooooo many different treatments/creams i cant even count how many. None have worked.

Had acne since 13 and now 21.

Im also using Duac gel at the same time.

MemberMember
(@blabot)

Posted : 04/05/2011 10:08 am

HI,

Been on Tetralysal 300g for about 2 months now. It has made no difference at all to be honest. Maybe i just need to stick out the 6months?

I have tried soooooo many different treatments/creams i cant even count how many. None have worked.

Hi,

to be honest, you might need ask your doctor to try some different one. I've seen improvements on my skin after 48h from taking first pill (that was when I started with Tetralysal). However, now it takes about week to kick in. As I explained in my posts above, very important is to to set probable diagnosis. I tried for myself in posts above, you might need to do something similar for yourself to identify problem and talk about it with your doctor. Doctors these days don't really look into cause, rather than just prescribing workaround to the issue but not solution itself.

MemberMember
(@keepr0lling)

Posted : 04/10/2011 8:43 am

I've been taking Tetralysal 300 for about 3 years now(!), and I don't have any noticeable side effects. My doctor does say I need to come off them for 3 months in every year, which I don't like to do at all because then it all comes back, not straight away - in my experience there's a delay of about 4-6 weeks both for Tetralysal to start working and for it to stop working.

Does anybody have any experience of bad side effects caused by VERY long term use? I will try coming off them again soon, but I'm sure the acne will come back again.

MemberMember
(@beki88)

Posted : 07/14/2011 7:22 am

Hi all my first post here, found this board while googling!

I was on lymecycline last year took it for about 6 months, and found it helped, however during that time I suffered really badly with coldsores (to the point my face was swollen badly and I was prescribed antibiotics as they were infected) the dr blamed me spending too much time in the sun, stress, and low immunity.

I stopped taking the tablets as I had a feeling it was the tablets causing it.

Since then no coldsores!

Started taking the tablets again Tuesday as had a huge flare up and my consultant advised to try again, and last night I felt a tingling on my lip, woke up this morning and there is a coldsore coming again, I feel its too much of a co-incidence so I am sure it is the tablets.

Has anyone else had anything like this??

Google had no results so feeling like I am the only one :(

MemberMember
(@rise_above)

Posted : 08/21/2011 6:47 pm

I was on lymecycline last year took it for about 6 months, and found it helped, however during that time I suffered really badly with coldsores (to the point my face was swollen badly and I was prescribed antibiotics as they were infected) the dr blamed me spending too much time in the sun, stress, and low immunity.

Since then no coldsores!

Started taking the tablets again Tuesday as had a huge flare up and my consultant advised to try again, and last night I felt a tingling on my lip, woke up this morning and there is a coldsore coming again, I feel its too much of a co-incidence so I am sure it is the tablets.

I'm so glad you made this correlation - I never thought about it before! I also did not have a single coldsore in the time when I was off this drug for a short while. Interesting theory! I think you could be right; perhaps it causes the immune system to be reduced, bringing out the coldsore virus?

MemberMember
(@beki88)

Posted : 08/22/2011 6:47 am

Since then no coldsores!

I'm so glad you made this correlation - I never thought about it before! I also did not have a single coldsore in the time when I was off this drug for a short while. Interesting theory! I think you could be right; perhaps it causes the immune system to be reduced, bringing out the coldsore virus?

Well thats what I thought, I have done a lot of googling and it does state certain antibiotics can cause this. I stopped taking the antiobiotic when the coldsore came up and it subsided quite quickly (with a combination of coldsore cream) but as I said last year they lasted for ages as I was still taking the tablets! Im due to see consultant again in October so going to be mentioning it to them as I am not happy taking them anymore.

Nice to know it isnt just me I feel a bit more normal haha :)

MemberMember
(@brima1)

Posted : 08/22/2011 6:47 pm

HI

m really touched by wot every one has said bout antibiotics. especially d person dat said its expensive to afford antibiotis on a 2-per-day basis in their country. though i ve laughed a lot bout som comments dat r pessimistic bout antibiotics. i really feel sorry for all dose goin tru dis - including me.

from my experience antibiotics is not good 4 d system at all- lets call a spade a spade. from d first day u take it it starts doin harm gradually. even if u ve not noticed any side effect yet its not bcos is not doin harm at dat moment, its bcos d harm is not too much yet. by d time d harm is much dats wen u feel or notice d side effect. 4 d past seven months now i ve been doing bad socially. every now n den m thinking negatively. i 'd just in a moment wish my mum or any relative dead. wot a nonsense! sometimes i feel heavy depression or inconfident, once i c a crowd i feel intimidated n become angry 4 just no reason, right now my brain is not function as supposed to- sometimes its blank. sometimes i feel as if d whole world is against me mean while no one is against me. there r lots more side effects but i dnt want to say all cos i cnt.

dis side effect issue is not a joke. GPs or parmacists would never tell u d fucking level of seriousness of dis side effect but would just explain it lightly- i dnt no y; maybe they dnt want to loose customers. n d most annoying part is dat it wouldn't go or it would come back after some time. wot an antibiotic life! sometimes it looks as if d bacterials even talk: "oh! u r taking antibiotics right, u want to kill. well u cnt cos m gonna get stronger after now". n after a while they get stronger n tougher.

cud u believe dat 2 days after i stopped antibiotics - out of fear dat i ll soon b mad- i was a lil bit relieved of d madness i was heading to! now everyday m feeling better since m not taking anymore, though d bacteria is still remaing.

so now i ve decided 2go natural. as in m eating onions everyday, i mix lemon, strawberry, lime and cucumber - blend dem all- n drink daily. d onion espcially could kill bacteria, while d others ve really improved my skin. dis ve improve my skin over a weak now.

n i ve nothing to worry since its natural n therefore no side effect. is better dan being mad bcos of antibiotics. n u know wot, i used d lemon juice to rub on my affected areas n over a week now i cnt believe wot d juice did to my skin- lots of improvement. it has done wot antibiotics couldn't do 4 seven months.

u can search bout dis natural products urself.

thanks

MemberMember
(@brima1)

Posted : 08/22/2011 6:53 pm

HI,

Hi,

to be honest, you might need ask your doctor to try some different one. I've seen improvements on my skin after 48h from taking first pill (that was when I started with Tetralysal). However, now it takes about week to kick in. As I explained in my posts above, very important is to to set probable diagnosis. I tried for myself in posts above, you might need to do something similar for yourself to identify problem and talk about it with your doctor. Doctors these days don't really look into cause, rather than just prescribing workaround to the issue but not solution itself.

u r really right

MemberMember
(@lisama)

Posted : 09/20/2011 4:43 pm

I'm on this stuff at the moment. Day 5 and I am definitely experiencing an IB :'(

I have been given these pills, plus Differin 0.1% and have been told to use BP in the morning. I really hope that they start working soon because my skin looks awful at the moment.

MemberMember
(@maimy)

Posted : 09/28/2011 11:51 am

Hi, I've just begun a course of 408mg a day and I have a couple of questions: firstly, does it matter at what time of the day you take it? It says on my information leaflet 'preferably morning' but I'd rather take it before I go to sleep. Secondly, what's the average course length? My doctor didn't specify how long I should take it for. I've also taken mino, so I don't want to take limecycline for too long. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@blabot)

Posted : 12/05/2011 9:06 am

Hi, I've just begun a course of 408mg a day and I have a couple of questions: firstly, does it matter at what time of the day you take it? It says on my information leaflet 'preferably morning' but I'd rather take it before I go to sleep. Secondly, what's the average course length? My doctor didn't specify how long I should take it for. I've also taken mino, so I don't want to take limecycline for too long. Thanks!

Hi, as with every drug or food, your digestion system slows down or stops during your sleep. Therefore distribution of effective drug in your pills is limited during this time. It resumes when you wake up, but I'd recommend to take it morning or during a day to maximize effect of the drug taken.

Course length is one of puzzles doctors giving us. They say this drug is OK to take for year or two with short breaks. I can't imagine how some drug which is antibiotics and directly affecting your proteins (look at my schema on previous page) could be good for taking so long. You should treat your body with respect and limit use of any drugs just to necessary amount. That's why I refused taking Tetralysal after 1 year and started to look for different/real solution.

Message board automatically merges my last two posts

Hi All, following my schema from previous page, I'm delighted to show you possible SOLUTION to my extensive sebum production. I could keep this for myself, but I believe I can save to many of you a years of trying, despair, unhappiness.

I have found out how to stop clogged pores caused by extensive sebum production. Again, on my way to reach this medicine (I'm still about to begin treatment, but many specialized doctors in UK confirmed my hypothesis) I've found un-willingness to prescribe this drug although it's one and only cure for my medical condition (seborrhea).

ado4a.jpg

MemberMember
(@maimy)

Posted : 12/17/2011 8:52 am

Thankyou very much