Solodyn

MemberMember
(@miserablelawstudent)

Posted : 04/15/2007 6:10 pm

im on it, 5 days now along with finacea...see how it goes after a month or so

MemberMember
(@aquamarinegurl89yahoo-com)

Posted : 04/16/2007 9:33 am

I've been on solodyn for about a month now (also along with benzaclin and retin a micro). I've noticed a slight improvment... My forehead and cheeks feel smoother now. I havent really experienced any of the side effects. I've just been having major mood swings which I'm guessing is due to the tablets.

MemberMember
(@5penny)

Posted : 04/25/2007 2:11 pm

I just started using Solodyn after being on Doyrx since November. So far, so good, although I have noticed the light-headedness a bit. An important thing to remember is that you need to take it alone and not with a multi-vitamin or anything with calcium. The calcium does something with the release or messes it up somehow, same with the Doryx.

I am currently taking the Solodyn in the morning and using Tazorac at night and Duac in the morning. I've been using NeaClear face wash, Aveno moisturizer and the Bare Minerals line of makeup.

I notice the most difference when I am diligent about my routine and I keep my hands away from my face (ie.. picking). For me the Solodyn is a last resort before Accutane.

MemberMember
(@idugapony)

Posted : 04/29/2007 11:39 pm

gah, i loved this prescription. never cost me a penny, though, my derm gave me a $30 coupoun (still....400 bucks?!?! anyway, i was originally on dynacin and then switched when solodyn came out. my skin was perfectly clear and so my derm moved me from the 90 mg to the 45 mg and i started noticing a couple zits a month (as opposed to zero) and when i realized being on antibiotics for too long is bad, i went off it cold turkey. fast forward a couple months and right now i'm battling horribly cycstic acne...i've NEVER experienced cycstic acne in my life! got zits on cheeks/jaw (never had those before) so meh. toyed with the idea of going back on it except derm has me on 23948 other things

MemberMember
(@reggae22)

Posted : 05/15/2007 10:45 pm

The day I was prescribed Solodyn (I'm also taking it with the topical cream Ziana) I came to this sight and was greatly disappointed. All of the reveiws were terrible! Lets just say, I was already discouraged. I've tried so many medications and creams, I was honestly just ready to give up.

However, I began taking the Solodyn daily. I have now been taking it for exactly 1 month and 10 days, and I'm still a little skeptical, but pleased as well. My acne isn't gone, not even close, BUT I have seen improvements. The acne I do get now clears up MUCH faster than they did before, usually in just 2 or 3 days (normally it took at LEAST a week, and by that time, another round was already starting). And I am starting to see less and less......granted I'm still getting breakouts, BUT in smaller numbers each time.

I just wanted to post this for all the people out there who are already freaking out because they read the terrible reviews. I'd like to point out, that most of these people leaving these negative reviews, NOT all, but MOST, have only been taking it for a few DAYS. To all these people I want to say, "you're an idiot". It's going to take AT LEAST a month for any sign of improvement, and even then the improvement will be hard to see.

JUST STICK WITH IT! I can already tell that by 2 months, my skin will be better. And then by 3, my skin will be even better than before! I'll update in a few weeks!

MemberMember
(@mr-dolo)

Posted : 05/27/2007 7:31 pm

any one know of conflicts with solodyn and multi vitamins? i read the pamphlet it comes with and it says not to take a vitamin until 3 hours after taking solodyn since some of the vitamin ingredients bind to soloydn and take longer to work..? not sure but i thought someone may know something i don't.

MemberMember
(@bethsmom)

Posted : 06/21/2007 12:07 pm

The dermatologist wanted my daughter (11) to take Solodyn. I attempted to fill the prescription and was told my insurance would not cover it. I called the doctor and she said to call the 800 number on the leaflet she gave me. Well, the drug company will contact the insurance and negotiate to get it covered. They called me back in two days and said the insurance still would not cover it but I qualified for the cost offset program which would kick in $250. That would make the cost $150. A little over my budget. I called the doc and asked for a different med. This is the first time my daughter is taking oral meds so why not start with the least expensive. I called the pharmacy and doc called in minocycline which will cost $10. Big difference! I asked the pharmacist what she thought about the situation. She said that both meds contain the same ingredients, they are just formulated different. I also asked why the doc was so insistent on her having Solodyn, seemed like the doc would get something out of the deal. Well the pharmacist did not want to come right out and say it but she said that is entirely possible.

MemberMember

Posted : 06/22/2007 7:56 pm

I've now been on solodyn for about 3 months now. So, heres an update for anyone thats interested. My skin is a lot more smoother then before...i dont have any active bumps right now. Its all smooth...I'm just left with the redmarks. I've stopped using benzaclin because i dont really like using topicals at all. Anyways...thats all i wanted to say.

good luck to all,

Amanda

MemberMember
(@sweetheart519)

Posted : 06/23/2007 2:57 pm

I've been on Solodyn about a week and a half. It seems like it's helping the breakouts I get to heal faster, but that's it so far. I'm still breaking out. I credit most of my skin's improvement to Benzamycin, which I have been using for just over 6 weeks now.

To Amanda...I'd caution you against stopping the topical treatment. Antibiotics alone are usually not enough to keep you acne free, they just help break the cycle. And if you don't use some kind of topical treatment, for maintenance, when you stop the Solodyn you will break out again.

MemberMember

Posted : 06/26/2007 1:43 pm

To Amanda...I'd caution you against stopping the topical treatment. Antibiotics alone are usually not enough to keep you acne free, they just help break the cycle. And if you don't use some kind of topical treatment, for maintenance, when you stop the Solodyn you will break out again.
MemberMember
(@n-jin-ear)

Posted : 07/12/2007 3:24 pm

I've been taking Solodyn for a few weeks and I am having some serious fatigue. Has anyone else experienced this? Does it get any better with time?

I know it is listed as a side effect, but I was curious as to whether it would be this way the whole time I am on the medicine?

ZZZZzzzz...oh yeah...I was typing. :-)

MemberMember
(@vcmb)

Posted : 08/17/2007 6:42 am

Hello,

I am a bit worried about what I read about the medication...but after trying EVERYTHING out there...I am willing to take the risk. I've been on antibiotics before (ISOFACE...anyone? ). That worked miraculously for 9 months. I stopped taking it and 3 months later, the pimples slowly, but surely came back. I am getting married in 2 months and am therefore desperate. My doctor also prescribed Benzaclyn and these medicated cleansing cloths. It's been 2 days, and my face feels like plastic.

I am holding on to hope that in 2 months my skin will clear, as I've read this is how long it takes for this poison to really kick in.

Patience is a virtue...I think anyone with acne has this quiality. Let's see what happens in a couple of weeks.

MemberMember
(@bottleupandexplode)

Posted : 08/22/2007 10:48 pm

I've been on Solodyn 90 mg for about 6 weeks. I haven't experienced any side effects.

I'm pretty sure my acne is worse, if not the same. My doctor recently said she saw improvement, so maybe my thinking it's worse thing is just all in my head because I guess I thought my face/back would be completely clear by now.

I originally wanted to go on Acutane, but my doctor wanted to try me on this first - she said it worked on her, so I tried it. Should it be working by now? Should I give it more time, or switch to Acutane? The whole having-to-take-my-blood monthly really grosses me out about the Acutane. Is there something else that's more effective then the solodyn but not as harsh as the acutane that I should try?

MemberMember
(@iwishthiswasgone)

Posted : 09/17/2007 9:59 pm

this stuff cleared me up better than i had been since i was 12 or so. Then it stopped working and im fucked again.

MemberMember
(@txauditor)

Posted : 09/25/2007 8:18 pm

This drug is a waste of money. I would almost say it was a fraud against our healthcare system. It is nothing more than a well marketed Minocycline HCL product. 45mg, 90mg and 135mg are all priced the same per tablet. Drug reps are detailing this drug to Dermatologists because they know that most dermatologists will not allow generic drugs (for some pathetic reason). Drugs such as Solodyn, Adoxa, Dynacin and Minocin have become progressivley more expensive. Minocycline and Doxycycle have been around for decades. THEY CAN'T IMPROVE IT. For any poor desparate soul who is willing to pay $450+ for 30 tablets, I have some beach front property in Oklahoma at a real steal. For any of you who only has to pay a $5 copay and could careless, well remember this, someone is paying the balance, be it your company or an insurance company. This type of drug is why health care costs are sky rocketing in the US. This truely is the fleecing of America.

MemberMember
(@coke234)

Posted : 09/25/2007 11:33 pm

Solodyn gave me really, really, really bad toothaches. I called the derm and he said it wasn't a known side effect and told me to keep taking it. I did, and the toothaches persisted. I stopped taking solodyn and sure enough the toothaches went away. About a month after, I tried to take it again and sure enough, the toothaches returned.

I can take pain but this was just unbearable. I couldn't even sleep.

Adoxa was the only antibiotic that worked for my acne. It cleared my acne in about a couple months.

MemberMember
(@valval)

Posted : 10/08/2007 3:32 am

I am on Solodyn 5 days now, and I have more break out than before I took this medication. Has anyone else experienced this? Will I get better with time?

MemberMember
(@valval)

Posted : 10/08/2007 1:25 pm

I am on Solodyn 45 mg 5 days now, and I have more break out than before I took this medication. Has anyone else experienced this? Will I get better with time? or I'm on the weakest strenght, that's why it won't work very well as the higher strenght?

MemberMember
(@deeagony)

Posted : 10/08/2007 1:42 pm

This drug is a waste of money. I would almost say it was a fraud against our healthcare system. It is nothing more than a well marketed Minocycline HCL product. 45mg, 90mg and 135mg are all priced the same per tablet. Drug reps are detailing this drug to Dermatologists because they know that most dermatologists will not allow generic drugs (for some pathetic reason). Drugs such as Solodyn, Adoxa, Dynacin and Minocin have become progressivley more expensive. Minocycline and Doxycycle have been around for decades. THEY CAN'T IMPROVE IT. For any poor desparate soul who is willing to pay $450+ for 30 tablets, I have some beach front property in Oklahoma at a real steal. For any of you who only has to pay a $5 copay and could careless, well remember this, someone is paying the balance, be it your company or an insurance company. This type of drug is why health care costs are sky rocketing in the US. This truely is the fleecing of America.
MemberMember
(@malynda)

Posted : 10/09/2007 7:27 am

HI I JUST RECIEVED THIS FROM MY DERMATOLOGIST OR SHE JUST PERSCRIBED THIS DRUG TO ME.. AND TOLD ME GIVE IT 3 MONTHS TO SEE RESULTS.. I KNOW HOW EXPENSIVE THE DRUG IS AND SHE WAS NICE ENOUGH TO GIVE ME THE TESTERS SO I HAVE A BOX FULL OF PILLS.. ITS A 3 MONTH SUPPLY.. I REALLY HOPE THIS WORKS.. ON TOP OF THAT SHE HAS ME USING DIFFERIN CREAM FOR THE NIGHT WITCH I HAVE HAD NO BAD SIDE EFFECTS.. AND BENZACLYN CREAM FOR MORNING WITCH I AM HAVING BAD SIDE EFFECTS MY FACE BURNS AND FEELS RAW AND CHAPPED BUT HOPEFULLY THIS WILL GET BETTER TO.. WELL HOPE THIS HELPS OH ALSO SHE TOLD ME ACNE FREE CLENSER BY NUTRAGENA WITCH IS REALLY CHEAP YOU CAN GET IT AT ANY STORE HELPS ALOT TO..

MALYNDA

MemberMember
(@wgg)

Posted : 11/07/2007 4:37 pm

i dunno guys, solodyn works its expensive but it works...
MemberMember
(@wgg)

Posted : 11/07/2007 4:43 pm

Solodyn update:

The price is alleviated a bit by insurance but the copay is still considerably higher than any other antibiotic out there.

I am about halfway thru my 3 month trial of Solodyn and it is working beautifully! (I still say my results are in part due to DKR but my dermatologist, obviously, would like to give the credit to Solodyn)

At the end of the 3 month period, the plan is to titrate down to the 45 mg pill instead of the 90 mg pill I am on.

I am still not completely acne free. I'd say I get about one small whitehead once a week. However, the whitehead resolves within a day or two and is much better than the inflammatory/red acne I was getting before.

Overall, very pleased.

I would 2nd the opinion that probably, any antibiotic would work (my acne wasn't too severe to start with) in my case. And if cost is an option, I would opt for the non-slow-release minocycline (Solodyn is a delayed release). However, my insurance is pretty good and I am very happy with the results so I will continue to stick with it!

MemberMember
(@bluegender7)

Posted : 12/01/2007 1:01 pm

this antibiotic suckx. do not take it. i had been on it for like 8 months and it did improve my skin a bit but then after 4 months off this prescription my skin got worse than ever. now i constantly have ugly cystic pimples which i didnt have before. don't take it

MemberMember
(@jay-dee)

Posted : 12/17/2007 12:38 am

I just got back from the dermatologist. He prescribed me with solodyn. Supposedly it's the first antiboitic to be approved by the FDA specifically for ance treatment. I dont' get excited about antibiotics but at least it's better than minocycline( which I've used ). Has anyone in here had any experience with it?
MemberMember
(@byrne01)

Posted : 01/27/2008 10:35 pm

Does anyone know if it's okay to drink while you're on Solodyn?

Because since I've been on it, I've been blackingout and throwing up more than I ever have and I think it might be the Solodyn?