Solodyn

MemberMember
(@asmallchild)

Posted : 01/14/2007 11:40 pm

ehh...i guess i'll keep taking it and go along with the DKR

i have noticed that since last week, no new inflammatory acne nodules popping up (i've been on solodyn for about 2 weeks now and just started DKR a week ago)

i'm highly cynical either one will keep my acne-free this entire week as well but if it does, i'm celebrating!!

and now the hard part, trying to figure out whether it's the DKR or the solodyn that is working wonders on my face in 3 months!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/17/2007 1:52 am

i dunno guys, solodyn works its expensive but it works...

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/28/2007 1:06 am

I just got back from the dermatologist. He prescribed me with solodyn. Supposedly it's the first antiboitic to be approved by the FDA specifically for ance treatment. I dont' get excited about antibiotics but at least it's better than minocycline( which I've used ). Has anyone in here had any experience with it?
MemberMember
(@asmallchild)

Posted : 01/29/2007 10:58 pm

So I do have something to report!

I started getting some really bad inflammatory acne (the huge red ones) around Christmas. I had been on Solodyn for about a week then and felt like chucking it out the window.

Week 2 was no better. The acne had stopped but left behind the horrific red spots. It was at this point that I dumped the 4% BP my dermatologist had prescribed and started DKR.

My skin has been just about clear since then (speak of the devil, one small whitehead today) but I can't really say if its the DKR or the Solodyn working its magic. I had called my dermatologist and asked when the effects typically kick in. He told me after 2 weeks.

Either way, I had planned on stopping Solodyn after 3 months so I guess I'll have my answer then whether it's the DKR or the antibiotic that has been keeping me clear.

So all in all, I would agree with the above poster. Solodyn, kinda expensive, but worth it if it's really doing its job in helping me avoid the inflammatory acne.

(Now to find a way to get rid of these annoying red splotches from the past!)

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/30/2007 1:13 pm

im still on solodyn past three months. i think what the derm is trying to do is immunize my body to the acne however its caused. he just gave me ziana for redmarks/scars. i have improved but it just takes so long and now im depressed, but i do see that its working, it just takes time. ask about ziana.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/30/2007 1:14 pm

ziana for the redmarks.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/30/2007 1:18 pm

i believe solodyn and ziana are the only 2 drugs approved by the FDA specifically to treat acne, not sure though.

MemberMember
(@beentheredonethat)

Posted : 01/30/2007 1:24 pm

There are many more drugs than two approved for acne.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/30/2007 1:50 pm

well i know those 2 are approved.

MemberMember
(@asmallchild)

Posted : 01/30/2007 11:06 pm

There are many more drugs than two approved for acne.
(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/05/2007 10:52 pm

i had terrible skin before christmas.... like probably 30 zits on my face at one time. i know that solodyn doesnt have many positive reviews right now but i say keep taking it. i've been on a lot of meds in the past, including birth control and that actaully mde my skin worse. for a little over a month i've been on solodyn and duac topical (i was also prescribed differin cream but i stopped using it after a couple weeks becuase i had the sneaking suspicion it was keeping my skin from being completely clear)

After about a month of taking solodyn and 3000 mg of fish oil capsules (weird i know) and using duac twice a day my skin has maybe 1 new breakout at any given time.... which i'll take any day. also, my skin isnt even dry! AND ITS TEH DEAD OF WINTER IN BOSTON. the scarring-- though not disappearing rapidly-- is going away slowly but surely.

my good friend with a completely different skin tolerance (she uses a 10% pan oxyl bar of soap which when i tried 2 years ago turned me into a pizza face in about 2 days...) has had the same success as me. seriously its a miracle working

lastly-- bare minerals makeup is the greatest investment you girls can make. it is flawless... covers amazingly wihtout looking like your wearing anything more than a light dusting of powder. the other night i even slept in it and didnt get any new zits (even during good skin periods in the past, sleeping in my makeup would give me at least 2 new zits in the morning) They dont lie when they say their tagline is "makeup so pure you can sleep in it"

i really hope this helps out you guys... i know how hard it is to have bad skin but good luck to you all

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/06/2007 11:02 am

make sure you swallow this thing whole because its time release

MemberMember
(@emanuel212)

Posted : 02/06/2007 2:00 pm

I was just prescribed Solodyn, DUAC, and Ziana. I have mild acne but really oily skin and my derm is trying to just knock everything out at once. Hopefully all 3 will work great together. Also i dont know what cleansers you guys are using but Purpose by J&J is great stuff.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/08/2007 8:41 pm

is solodyn alot cheaper with insurance?

MemberMember
(@user21768)

Posted : 02/09/2007 8:07 am

Based on these replies and the cost of the drug i'd just go on a good antibiotic like doxycycline.

MemberMember
(@asmallchild)

Posted : 02/10/2007 2:29 pm

Solodyn update:

The price is alleviated a bit by insurance but the copay is still considerably higher than any other antibiotic out there.

I am about halfway thru my 3 month trial of Solodyn and it is working beautifully! (I still say my results are in part due to DKR but my dermatologist, obviously, would like to give the credit to Solodyn)

At the end of the 3 month period, the plan is to titrate down to the 45 mg pill instead of the 90 mg pill I am on.

I am still not completely acne free. I'd say I get about one small whitehead once a week. However, the whitehead resolves within a day or two and is much better than the inflammatory/red acne I was getting before.

Overall, very pleased.

I would 2nd the opinion that probably, any antibiotic would work (my acne wasn't too severe to start with) in my case. And if cost is an option, I would opt for the non-slow-release minocycline (Solodyn is a delayed release). However, my insurance is pretty good and I am very happy with the results so I will continue to stick with it!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/12/2007 11:41 pm

Hello everyone.

I was just recently prescribed Solodyn 90mg. I'd like to share a few quick things with you if I may:

1. The medicine is quite high in cost. $484.99 retail. With insurance, it was only a $50 co-pay. My dermatologist included a $50 off coupon, so the medicine came out free. It took the pharmacist about 20 minutes to call it in, but hey, I don't mind waiting 20 minutes for $50 off. So make sure you get that coupon.

2. As far as this being the same as any other anti-biotic, I can't really say at this point. I've taken tetracycline 500mg in the past, and the results were noticable after about 2 months. But I think you'll agree that 500mg is quite a bit more than the 90mg average that Solodyn offers.

Additionally, as this link (which has information from the FDA) shows,

It is not bioequivalent to any other previously approved minocycline products and is in no way interchangeable with other forms of the drug.
(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/12/2007 11:43 pm

Not sure why the link isn't working. But if you Google "Solodyn", it will be the 3rd result titled "FDA Approvals: Solodyn and Dacogen".

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/20/2007 9:58 pm

okay i now started my 4th month and have seen improvement. i don't have any breakouts. I am also have b-lift chemical peels done every 2 weeks. they just went up in the strength of the peel since i was not having any problems with it. i see improvement in my fact and am quite happy. i called my derm to question using it longer than 3 months they told me they have some patients on it 6 months even a year. but i plan on this being my final perscrip i dont' like being on medication.

also as some have pointed out there is a 50 off coupon make sure you get it!!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/27/2007 8:58 pm

I just started taking Solodyn (5 days now). Wondered if anyone had problems with tinnitus (ringing in the ears), fuzzy vision, constipation?? It seems to be causing these issues....and it ISN'T doing anything for the acne. In fact, I had started with tetracycline (Adoxa) and had abdominal discomfort. I didn't take anything for two days after I stopped the Adoxa. Then started with the Solodyn. Within 24 hours I had 5 new bumps...one I had to go and get a steroid injection for. The dermatologist said I had to give it 2 months to know for sure if it worked or not. I figure, if it doesn't work by two weeks (most meds only take two weeks to start working) then it isn't worth my time. Any suggestions? Advice? Can anyone relate? I've had a hard time finding any info on this stuff too.

MemberMember
(@benne237)

Posted : 03/14/2007 8:42 am

I have now taken Solodyn for 11 weeks now and am still breaking out as usual. I think its time to switch to either Doxycycline or Accutane if the derm allows.

MemberMember
(@christine)

Posted : 03/31/2007 4:58 pm

I've been using Solodyn for about 1.5 weeks now. I think I've seen slight improvement--fewer large pimples. But, I think a fair evaluation will be after 2 months or so.

I've had no real side effects, but have noticed strange low-level headaches and some mild dizziness or difficulty concentrating during conversations with people. ~Not sure if it's stress related (work & planning my wedding) or from the medication. (?)

I'm using this in combination with Ziana, a topical that has both clindamycin phosphate (antibiotic) and tretinoin mixed together. So far, I like the combination of Solodyn and Ziana because it's not causing redness, dryness or irritation, which I have experienced with other medications (most noteably Retin-A).

MemberMember
(@asmallchild)

Posted : 04/07/2007 2:38 pm

Been on Solodyn now for 3 months.

Results have been astounding!!

(To be fair, I started the DKR at the same time so it's hard to tell which one is kicking in)

I've recently begun to relapse a bit as my dermatologist wanted to start me on Tazorac as well for the blackheads on my nose and the clogged pores on my face. I believe the roughness of the Tazorac is causing a recent rash of whitehead breakouts.

But other than that, I intend to stay on the Solodyn as long as my derm deems acceptable (we've discussed it and feel safe with a year. I've also begun to drop my dosage to the 45mg pill once daily)

For those who are just starting out, I would definitely recommend sticking it thru.

For those who are experiencing side effects (headache is the big one), I'd definitely consult your derm before going any further.

Current Regimen:

90mg Solodyn once daily (soon to drop to 45)

Morning = Cetaphil wash, 2.5%BP to cheeks and chin, Cetaphil moisturizer

Evening = Cetaphil wash, 0.1% Tazorac gel to cheeks, chin, and nose, Cetaphil mositurizer

Lustra "fading cream" for my forehead = the Solodyn has completely wiped out acne in this region for some odd reason. I'm unsure if the Lustra has any effect or it's just the 3 months + NO FURTHER ACNE BREAKOUTS!!! on my forehead that has left that region looking spectacular!!

MemberMember
(@300zxtt)

Posted : 04/07/2007 8:34 pm

I was recently perscribed solodyn.. actually about 3 weeks now I have been on 45mg for a week and then 90mg for the last two weeks. So far I am seeing some minor improvments, but its hard to tell if the pills did it or the new topical treatment is the one helping. Either way, I have to say I definetly get headaches with the solodyn, but its usually nothing smoking some cannabis dosent take care of.

What i was curious about is if anyone has any idea why it says on the bottle: "Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking this medicine". It seems like the best time to take it would be right before I lie down to go to sleep so I dont experience the headaches.

MemberMember
(@kristifire)

Posted : 04/10/2007 12:10 pm

I've been on solodyn, back from november til the end of december... everyone says i looked sooo much better on it, but careful, it gave me really bad mood swings, so I refuse to go back on it again... I'd been on minocycline before and stopped after a month because I started crying for 3 hours at work, non-stop... couldn't stop even though I wanted to. On the solodyn, i recognized when I was being unreasonable, and just told ppl to stop talking to me. Told my bbf that if i acted like a b*tch, to just call me out on it and to not take offense. ...lol.. I actually got so upset at her birthday party because the guy i was driving with jumped out of the car to be with his friends when we got to her house.... a normal reaction would have been to think nothing of it, and join in with them, but I got sooo angry... didn't talk to anyone after that... A week after, I stopped the pills. I call it my crazy time :-p Threw mood swings for 2 months after, and I was only taking it every other day, 20 pills in total, didn't completely cure me, but made it look better, (or so they say...)