Notifications
Clear all

Topical Vitamin A?

MemberMember
(@asparagus)

Posted : 05/19/2005 9:33 pm

there is nothing wrong with a man using blotting paper.

MemberMember
(@lola-1)

Posted : 05/20/2005 1:55 pm

sorry asparagus - didn't mean to offend any guys out there! My point was that I personally tried everything I could to avoid looking oily all day, which is why I wouldn't wear the vitamin A all day and look oily on purpose. I wear makeup and therefore, need blotting papers to avoid messing up the makeup. friends? wub.gif

MemberMember
(@wally36)

Posted : 05/21/2005 1:00 pm

Hey guys. Had a week off so I decided to go all out with a "super treatment" and wear it day and night and try to use up a whole bottle in 9 days. After eight days I'm about half way through one bottle. Of course I've been stuck inside watching Sopranos and MST3K reruns since the manufacturer said sunlight kills vitamin A, besides I don't want to walk around in the public with the shine. (I had enough of that before I started.)

Wearing it 24 hours a day caused more tiny zits to pop out, but no where as bad as the first few weeks. I've noticed that if I pop them quick they fade away quickly but if I let them go, they get worse and take a long time to fade. Right corner of my lips are cracked but not as bad as Accutane. Got a pimple inside my nostril! I guess the vitamin A oil seeped in there.

All in all my face is getting very smooth, especially my cheeks. Don't even have one blackhead on my nose anymore, and I used to have lots. Basically the more you put on, the more zits come out, and the worse you'll look in the short run, but the better you'll look in the long haul. eusa_angel.gif

MemberMember
(@lilchicken)

Posted : 05/22/2005 4:27 pm

Could you use Life Extension's vitamin A topically? I have a bottle of that lying around that I don't take anymore because apparently it will DESTROY ME!!!

I'll smell like cinnamon I know that much...

MemberMember
(@aynon)

Posted : 05/22/2005 4:40 pm

I am megapissed right now. mad.gif

jh11OK started this thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...pic=51745&st=20

, saying Vitamin A gave him "Increased pressure in my skull" and claimed that Vitamin A was absorbed through his skin. However I had actually got a blood test cause I was worried that my lips were a little dry, and it weren't abnormal. So when I posted that info, he ignores me at first then charges me with lying. WTF! I wish I could punch someone through my computer screen cause I'd like to "Increase the pressure on his skull" Big time!

MemberMember
(@kepper3)

Posted : 05/22/2005 5:07 pm

Hey Aynon - I was on that thread too and I posted a response to him basically saying that I thought he was just still experiencing the side effects from the Accutane because there was only like 5 days between the time he stopped tane and the time he started the topical vitA. He just blew it off as unrelated, saying he was of course still experiencing some of the tane side effects, but that they get "boosted" from the topical vitA when he applies it.

Personally I'm not buying it. No one on here has posted anything about having these kinds of serious tane-type side effects. I haven't and I've been using this topical stuff (and steadily upping the amount each time) for a week now, and I'm not even experiencing the dryness that I was for the first few days. Of course some of the vitA is getting absorbed into the bloodstream, but I don't think that it is a significant amount at all.

I wouldn't get too upset over him Aynon, he's probably just one of those people that have to have something to whine about, and they'll make it up if they have to. Or maybe he's just a hypochondriac?

Anyone using this and experiencing serious side effects - please post.

MemberMember
(@lola-1)

Posted : 05/22/2005 6:37 pm

I for one have had absolutely, positvely no adverse side effects (other than the initial purge period). As a matter of fact, I haven't even had a smidge of dryness at all. My skin is very soft. No dry lips. And definitely no back spasms like I had on Accutane (the 2nd time around).

Anyone else?

MemberMember
(@lola-1)

Posted : 05/23/2005 1:37 pm

btw - I am starting week 5 of using this

MemberMember
(@mrstee)

Posted : 05/24/2005 11:03 am

hi lilchickn, I bought some of that life extension vitamin a too. you're right about the cinnamin. it's called cassia oil. i know because a long time ago when i was back in middle school my next door neighbor who was also my boyfriend at the time used to soak toothpicks in a cassia oil and sell them at school as peppermint sticks for a quarter each. they were too strong for me but he made a lot of money until the principle made him stop selling it. it's kinda rough putting cinnamin oil on face though as you already know.

MemberMember
(@kepper3)

Posted : 05/26/2005 7:07 am

Update - Day 10

I'm in the 2nd week purge breakout phase. Its not horrible though. Got three new pimples, one rather large, but they are going away after just a couple of days. Still not a really significant change in the oilyness. I am using 10 drops at night and 4-5 drops in the morning. Should I use more to get better results?

Lola-1, I know that you said you didn't see much of a reduction in your oilyness initially either. How is it going now at 5 weeks?

MemberMember
(@lola-1)

Posted : 05/26/2005 2:01 pm

Update mid-way through week 5:

As I looked in the mirror at lunch time today at work, I was amazed that I was not one bit oily!! eusa_dance.gif Usually by this time of the day my makeup is slipping off and I am a big grease pit - but not anymore!!!! Yeah me! (sorry, I am very excited).

My skin is getting better and better every day. Absolutely no dryness. My skin is very soft. Still get one or two new small pimples a day, but they are small, heal fast and it is better than the usual 10 or more. Now just need to wait out these darn red marks! btw - I am still using Dan's bp gel twice a day.

Keep it up through the purge period. The results are definitely worth it! I'm going to order my 2nd bottle now, just so I'm sure not to run out during the time it takes to ship!

Hope to hear more updates from others.

MemberMember
(@asparagus)

Posted : 05/26/2005 4:20 pm

sorry asparagus - didn't mean to offend any guys out there!  My point was that I personally tried everything I could to avoid looking oily all day, which is why I wouldn't wear the vitamin A all day and look oily on purpose.  I wear makeup and therefore, need blotting papers to avoid messing up the makeup.      friends?  wub.gif

MemberMember
(@deepboi)

Posted : 05/26/2005 9:47 pm

Great news Lola! I hope it keeps improving for you. Just wondered, you mention you apply topical vitamin a at night, is this before or after you apply BP gel? I noticed on [Removed] site, they mention it is not to be mixed with any other products - could this cause any side effects?

I started dan's regimen about 2 weeks ago, however I've only used the gel at night. Also, I've only started moisturising today after my face started to redden a few days ago.

I must say, I haven't noticed any improvement in how oily my face is (i have very oily skin) - though, I know the regimen takes time and patience!

My main concern is oily skin, and pimples are secondary for me. With the summer approaching, its particularly bad and I just want to finally do something about it!

MemberMember
(@wally36)

Posted : 05/27/2005 1:03 pm

Thank for sharing the blood test result Anon. I was too chicken to do it yet, not because I have any of the symptoms the other guy said -- I would have quit dayone if that was true, but I can't believe there isn't something wrong with this cure. I mean how the HELL hasn't anyone come up with this before. The only thing I can't fault with it so far is the oily application. Maybe they'll invent something that soaks in the future but then I think the oil keeps my skin from drying out like it does on accutane.

MemberMember
(@kepper3)

Posted : 05/27/2005 1:08 pm

Lola-1 - I'm so glad to hear that its started to work for you! Gives me hope that it will eventually start to work for me. How oily was your skin to begin with? Mine is super-shiny oil slick! I have to blot continually throughout the day. It's so disgusting!

deepboi - I've continued to use bp (Brevoxyl 4%) with no side effects. I don't put it all over though. I just use it to spot treat any breakouts that I get and I put it on before the vitA, letting the bp soak in and dry before putting the vitA on.

MemberMember
(@lola-1)

Posted : 05/27/2005 6:04 pm

Keeper3 - my skin was sooo oily (sounds like the beginning of a bad joke) that I NEVER became dry on Accutane. When I would blot my face with those little blue papers I would have to use at least three at a time if I wanted to get my whole face. After washing my face in the morning I could literally see the oil coming out of each pore before I had a chance to apply makeup.

Here's what I'm currently doing.

PM

Wash with Burt's Bees tomato soap

apply Queene Helen's Mint Juilp Mask

apply Dan's BP (let dry)

apply vitamin A

AM

Wash with Burt's Bees mixed with baking soda

apply ACV (rinse after 10 min or so)

apply Dan's BP

apply Eucerin spf 15 moisturizer

I had e-mailed thevitamincure when I first started using it and asked about using BP with their product and was told that as long as I didn't get too dry it was okay, but I should be able to eventually stop using it. Personally, I'm not counting on that, but I haven't gotten any dry patches so I continue to use the BP.

sorry this post seems a little long.

MemberMember
(@neo-17)

Posted : 05/30/2005 1:35 pm

The fact that no one has come up with this before should give you a hint....

At least consult a medical professional about this absurd amount of vitamin A you are using. What if even a quarter of it is absorbed? You could end up in the hospital. Just because you show no signs of overdose means nothing.

What happens if some gets in the eye or hair? I advise you to be careful and seek medical advice...even if it's working.

MemberMember
(@aynon)

Posted : 06/02/2005 7:49 pm

See it's that kind of speculation that teed me off with the other guy.

How could it be as bad as accutane where u purposely put it into the bloodstrean. I slather the vitamin A on and get it on my lips and probable lick a lot off and my lips are slightly dry as u may expect but not like accutane at all. Plus I took a blood test so until u do the same don't tell what I already know isn't true.

MemberMember
(@aynon)

Posted : 06/02/2005 7:52 pm

Sorry I was way too harsh in that last post. I'm still mad about that other guy. I apologize.

MemberMember
(@deepboi)

Posted : 06/03/2005 10:44 am

Thanks Lola and keeper...I have since ordered 2 bottles of the stuff, and will be posting my results too. The thing is, how will I be able to tell how effective the vitamin A is, if I do it in conjunction with the BP regimen? Im on week 3 of the regimen and still adjusting to it. I've only just started applying it twice a day, and it seems very harsh! Though, my skin has yet to get used to it I suppose.

I think I might apply vit A topically at night, and in the morning before i shave (electrically), then shower a few minutes later. Anyway, I'll be posting my results and fingers crossed! My only concern is that it seems Vit a leaves your skin quite shiney, so it would be unpleasant to wear during the day. I too use talcum powder to get rid of shine, but would using it over the vit A defeat the purpose? I'm also wondering if eventually I could replace my moisturiser by using vit a instead. Sorry for all the questions, but this is an interesting thread!

MemberMember
(@lola-1)

Posted : 06/03/2005 1:33 pm

Welcome deepboi! It's been about six weeks and my skin keeps getting better and better everyday! I have also been applying Dan's BP twice a day in conjunction with the vit A, but I have always used BP (about 25 years!) and have always been very oily. The vit A has to be the reason I am not oily right now. The only other time I was not oily was when I was at the end of my Accutane treatment. Also, with the vit A, I haven't had a single dry patch. Sometimes BP can cause dryness around the mouth, nose and eye area, but I think the vit A has kept my skin very soft.

As of right now, I woke up this morning without a single new pimple!!!!! eusa_dance.gif This hasn't happened in many, many years!!!! I still have a lot of blackheads and some of those skin-colored clogged pores that I read about on other posts. I am thinking about switching from Burt's tomato soap to the AloeGuard that a lot of people seem to love. Not sure I should mess with anything new now or if time will work its magic. Any ideas?

BTW - I also stopped using the baking soda/ACV thing because I wasn't sure it was really doing anything (and the ACV really stinks) and instead started using Avon's Clinical Anew gycolic peel pads. In just three applications they have very noticably helped my red marks.

MemberMember
(@synchroboy)

Posted : 06/03/2005 2:52 pm

Hi All,

I've been using this vit A topical for 4 days now, so I really don't have any results to report. I had been doing the whole 302 protein drops crap thing from the scar forum for 5 months when this thread caught my eye!

Anyway, I've been bracing myself for the dreaded breakout. I was on Accutane back in 1987, so it's been a while since I've had that kind of purging. I'm hoping my oxy balance face wash will continue to quickly fight anything that pops up. It has freed me up from using bp topicals.

I noticed Lola-1 mentioned gycolic peel pads. In your opinion, if there are no adverse reactions to the vit A, do you think it's ok to use some AHA's? I'm thinking I would like to use some MaMa lotion (Mandelic and Malic) to get rid of these red marks.

Best Wishes,

Synch

MemberMember
(@lola-1)

Posted : 06/03/2005 5:54 pm

Synchroboy, I was actually thinking about adding AHA myself, but I had the Avon stuff at home already. Not sure why I stopped using it before, other than my own laziness and my skin wasn't looking so bad at the time, so I thought I would give it a try again. Glad I did.

As I said before, my skin is not dry at all. I've never heard of the MaMa lotion or if it is drying, that would be the only concern. IMO, the vit A drops have such a large amount of oil in it (all non-comedogenic), it is actually quite nurishing to the skin. If you think your skin can handle it, give it a whirl.

MemberMember
(@kepper3)

Posted : 06/03/2005 8:34 pm

Day 19 - Nothing new to report on the vitA. Still oily, but I think that it is starting to lessen. I can only hope that like Lola my skin is just so oily (and believe me when I tell you it is Disgustingly Oily!) that it takes awhile for the stuff to kick in. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll start seeing results. eusa_pray.gif

Hey Lola, I also had found that thread about Provon a little while ago. I ordered it last week and just got it today. I'll keep you posted about my progress with that as well. I'm hoping between the Provon and the vitA it will control my breakouts to where I can stop taking the antibiotics that I've been on for 3 years. eusa_wall.gif

MemberMember
(@wolfy)

Posted : 06/03/2005 9:12 pm

At least consult a medical professional about this absurd amount of vitamin A you are using. What if even a quarter of it is absorbed? You could end up in the hospital. Just because you show no signs of overdose means nothing.