Notifications
Clear all

Topical Vitamin A?

MemberMember
(@latinadonis)

Posted : 04/21/2005 1:17 pm

Hey, I'm also interested in trying topical vitamin A since I have pretty oily and slight-moderate acne prone skin. Funny thing is though is I get acne on my my cheeks and not my T-zone where it is real oily. Anyways, keep us updated!

MemberMember
(@acnescargirl)

Posted : 04/21/2005 10:28 pm

i been doing retinol for 2 weeks also- ill keep u posted

MemberMember
(@aynon)

Posted : 04/23/2005 12:48 pm

Thanx Wally. Putting it on also for 20 minutes in the morning seems to help. Last few days I can't sqeeze out much junk too, and spending less and less time in the bathroom everyday.

MemberMember
(@wally36)

Posted : 04/26/2005 1:01 pm

Lola. Are you just breaking-out with small pimples at first? If so I guess it's probably working. Don't worry, it'll get worse before it gets better (same as Acutane). I wanted to stop after two weeks but didn't and glad after two months. Not to say I don't still have a few old stubborn pores but there aren't any new ones besides a superficial one here and there.

I am worried that you see the oil isn't lessened immediately. Is it still true? Are you're pores drying up anyway? I admit I still do take one drop with my yogurt everyday. Maybe doing both topical and 25,000 IU is the secret to stopping the oil??

MemberMember
(@mrstee)

Posted : 05/01/2005 7:17 pm

hi all. been a while since i reported. about to order a second bottle after about 6 weeks. the web site says a bottle should last two months but i think thats stretching it... the oil is still gone, especially after starting to put it on again in the morning for a short time before washing my face like wally said. the website didn't suggest that when i bought it before but it does now. one thing i notice is the blackheads on my nose have been pushing out very easily and aren't coming back. i've tried biore strips and they never did a darn thing but i'm really happy now cause something finally works like it says.

MemberMember
(@wolfy)

Posted : 05/01/2005 8:08 pm

Actually, this oil thing... there is some suggestion that accutane doesn't work so well if you apply moisturiser. (Moisturiser is usually just oil with water homogenised in it).

This presumably implies that an oil based application is suboptimal,.

Still, you need an oil based product to dissolve the vitamin A I think. If the oil is light enough presumably it would evaporate away though.

MemberMember
(@wolfy)

Posted : 05/01/2005 8:54 pm

I admit I still do take one drop with my yogurt everyday. Maybe doing both topical and 25,000 IU is the secret to stopping the oil??

MemberMember
(@lola-1)

Posted : 05/03/2005 2:06 pm

Okay - I am getting very depressed here.

I am into my second week using the topical vit A and my skin is the worst it has been in a very, very long time. I have to admit that my oil production seems to be normalizing (not completely) but my face is completely broken out!!!!!! eusa_wall.gif

Did you guys have this? Do I give it up or wait it out some more? Is it really okay to be putting sunflower and olive oil on your already oily face? confused.gif

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@aynon)

Posted : 05/07/2005 1:48 pm

I had this recurring zit on the end of my nose for years. U know the kind that makes u want to curl up and die. But since using the Vit A it's finally stopped coming back. At least it better!

Another thing is I've had these closed scars on my cheeks for years and everytime I tried to squeeze them open to purge the junk, they always became a pimple then turned back into a closed scar. Very frustrating! But in the last two weeks I can squeeze the stuff out with little pressure and it doesn't turn into a zit or even get red. My cheeks are definitely smoother. Thought I would need dermabrasion again but I might be able to skip it now.

MemberMember
(@lola-1)

Posted : 05/07/2005 9:20 pm

Aynon, your post is making me feel a little bit better. But I am still really a mess here. My oil seems to be getting less every day but my skin is horrible! I have more acne now than when I went on Accutane!

Are you guys using BP in the morning?

Here's my routine. Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

AM - Vit A before shower

wash with Burt's Bees tomato soap

ACV toner

spot treat with BP (should I use more?)

moisturizer

PM - wash with Burt's Bees

baking soda mask

ACV toner

vit A

MemberMember
(@wally36)

Posted : 05/11/2005 1:11 pm

Sorry I didn't get back to you Lola, I've been on a job in Taiwan for two weeks.

I told you it would get worse before it gets better. If you look at my earliest post I was seriously doubting it the same way I did may three times on Accutane (I quit after a month the first time I took accutane). But I knew if I got through it would be way better on the other side and it is. Not to say I don't get a couple breakouts, but I know it's gotten a lot better. It's just that you've got to walk through the fire to get out of a burning house. What makes me most happy though is that I never have to stop because of health concerns if I don't want to and I don't need a prescription and I don't have to worry about my liver or buying a gallon of carmax every week.

MemberMember
(@neo-17)

Posted : 05/12/2005 5:59 pm

Sorry I didn't get back to you Lola, I've been on a job in Taiwan for two weeks.

I told you it would get worse before it gets better. If you look at my earliest post I was seriously doubting it the same way I did may three times on Accutane (I quit after a month the first time I took accutane). But I knew if I got through it would be way better on the other side and it is. Not to say I don't get a couple breakouts, but I know it's gotten a lot better. It's just that you've got to walk through the fire to get out of a burning house. What makes me most happy though is that I never have to stop because of health concerns if I don't want to and I don't need a prescription and I don't have to worry about my liver or buying a gallon of carmax every week.

MemberMember
(@lola-1)

Posted : 05/12/2005 9:38 pm

Thanks Wally - It does seem to be getting better - the oil and the flare up. Although I am still getting new pimples, they seem to be small and not too bothersome. Oily skin is slowly improving. I must add that my skin texture has never been softer! It is not drying at all (even think it may have smoothed out a laugh line or two). Hopefully these darn pimples will go away for good. Now, just need to get rid of these red marks! (but that's another thread) Thanks again!

MemberMember
(@aynon)

Posted : 05/14/2005 12:45 pm

Hi Lola, I was using benzoyl peroxide (clean & clear) and neutragena wash with salicylic acid until about the second week when I decided to quit it all. I got a whole cabinet full of face junk too, and u can have if you want it.

I was afraid to stop at first cause it was a security blanket, but my face stopped being red when I did. Now I just use cetaphil twice a day and the 'lime thing' if my face is too dry.

MemberMember
(@kepper3)

Posted : 05/17/2005 6:30 pm

Just got my bottle yesterday and used it last night and this morning. No difference in the oiliness, but my pores are about half the size they were after just these two uses. I will keep posting any progress.

Anyone who is using this, how much do you use at a time? Last night I used three drops and this morning I used two. Is this enough or should I use more?

MemberMember
(@lola-1)

Posted : 05/17/2005 8:26 pm

I have been using this now for four weeks and I have been using waaaay more than a two or three drops! I also apply it in the morning for about 15 minutes before I shower. (have I been using too much???)

I am still oily on my forehead, but getting better. my cheeks, chin, and nose have improved more dramatically. Still breaking out but that too is getting slowly better. Still getting small white heads daily but my fingers are crossed that this will get better, too.

Keep us updated on your progress, as I seem to be in the minority of still having oily skin after a month. But then again, I was still oily on Accutane 120 mg in my last month of treatment. eusa_wall.gif

MemberMember
(@aynon)

Posted : 05/18/2005 12:04 pm

Holy frioles! You took 120 mg/day of Accutane!

I use 10-20 drops at night. About 4 drops in the morning.

MemberMember
(@lola-1)

Posted : 05/18/2005 1:31 pm

lol.gif Yes, holy frioles, indeed!!! lol.gif

That's what the 2nd derm said when I went in for my 2nd course of Accutane!!. (had to switch because I switched insurance co.) They couldn't believe it either. Still didn't help! 2nd course was only 80mg/day but for seven months (until I developed severe back spasms and had to be taken off immediately!)

Still crossing my fingers that this is the answer. It certainly makes sense to me. eusa_pray.gif

MemberMember
(@celtpri)

Posted : 05/18/2005 3:14 pm

hey guys just put my first application of the vitamin cure on. I am going to use it in the morning after I shower and shave and leave it on the whole day. That makes more sense to me then washing it off in 15 minutes,.

MemberMember
(@lola-1)

Posted : 05/18/2005 9:31 pm

Welcome Celtpri! Don't you think it is too shiny to wear all day? Are you also leaving it on all night? Keep up posted on your results!

MemberMember
(@kepper3)

Posted : 05/19/2005 7:14 am

Update: 3 Days

It's been three days now and the oiliness is a little less, nothing too significant. I upped the drops to 4 in the evening and then 4 in the morning for 20 min. My skin has gotten a little dry, so I think I will up the amount I put on slowly so that my skin can get used to it. I've gotten a couple of new pimples, but they are very small and are already going away.

Thanks Lola-1 and Aynon for the replies and help. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

MemberMember
(@celtpri)

Posted : 05/19/2005 4:47 pm

I only use about 5 drops in the morning, and i rub it in as good as i can. compared to how oily my face was before, this shine is nothing! cant you relate to that?

MemberMember
(@asparagus)

Posted : 05/19/2005 7:01 pm

oh no!

vitamin a isnt what does it...

its the acid form of vitamin a...

i take vitamin a but thats only for general skin health... not a cure-all...

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/19/2005 7:16 pm

This stuff sounds kinda hardcore how are the results going for you.

MemberMember
(@lola-1)

Posted : 05/19/2005 9:27 pm

celtpri - I can relate, but as a girl, I use powder and blotting paper to keep from looking too oily all day.

TylerD - my skin is not flaky at all - I'm still using a lot of BP with it to help get over the inital breakout. I was considering going on Retin A but decided to use this instead. It has a lot of non-comedogenic oils in it (looked them up) and I feel it has made my skin softer. Every day the acne seems to be improving and I feel better about it every day. As I posted before, I think it has even smoothed out some laugh lines ( I am 35) Check out [Removed] for more info.

Please keep posting your results.