Notifications
Clear all

The stuff that saved my face - Sulfur.

MemberMember
(@txngrl)

Posted : 02/15/2013 8:30 pm

Coconut oil can be clogging for some. Others love it for their skin. You have to see what it does for you. I try to avoid it if possible. However, my daughter is using natural black soap that likely does have coconut oil in it. She likes it and feels it's clearing up her acne better than the previous soap we were using.

OK... I'm still using the black soap w/the coconut oil, and I've been liking it, but in the last several days I've gotten about 2-3 fairly deep bumps. They aren't terribly red or inflamed, though. I'm not sure if it's from the soap, or what... My son is using it, and has not had this problem. hmmmm so I don't know if it's the soap or not..? I'll keep an eye on it. thx for the info!

>>>

Thank you so much for the thread about pH! Lots of great info there. I called the company who makes the African black soap that I bought, and asked what the pH is. The girl was very pleasant, but didn't know the answer. She took my number & said she would ask & get back to me. She said in the 3 yrs she's worked there, no one has ever asked her that question. I was a little surprised by that.

So today I found the De La Cruz sulfur ointment at a local Walgreens I just used it on myself, left it on for 10 minutes & now my face is pretty red. Do you know if that's normal? It feels pretty clean though. And while it was on, my face really itched but I refrained from touching it. It still itches a little now. Did your son have any itching while he used it? I'm going to have my son try it in a few minutes.

How do you like the Cuticare soap so far?

Regarding the Cuticare soap, I am not comfortable with using it on my face. It leaves a waxy feel that just "feels" pore clogging to me. The De La Cruz is my favorite sulfur treatment so far - the ingredients are simple and it washes away completely.

Interesting about the Cuticare soap... it looked so promising on the website. But the fact that it was developed by a veterinarian left me a little confused, LOL. I agree about the DLC sulfur stuff... I like that it's so easy to wash off, and it's not as messy as I thought it would be. My son is still using it each night, and sometimes overnight as a spot treatment to dry up stubborn big ones. It seems to be drying things up, but not too much. And I love that it's so cheap!!!

Yeah, it seems to be a very straight forward product, with no extra irritating ingredients. Glad to hear it's working out so far! No redness or flaking yet? (My son never had that, but others have reported it.)

No, he hasn't had any redness from it... on the contrary, it seems to have helped some redness subside. He has had some dry spots, which makes sense to me, since it seems to be drying things up. But not excessively, though. Spots dry up, then he can just flake off the skin. It's not completely "curing" him of course, but has seemed to help. As for the black soap, I think we will stop using it. I seem to be breaking out more than I have in awhile, and I can only attribute it to clogging of the pores :(

MemberMember
(@ripon10)

Posted : 02/15/2013 8:33 pm

Which black soap are you using? You also have to remember that, from what it sounds like, you've switched up your products like four times recently with the different soaps and sulfur. This can be aggravating to your skin and cause you to break out. i am using two different types of black soap (because one is more drying) and neither have broken me out at all.

MemberMember
(@txngrl)

Posted : 02/15/2013 8:42 pm

It's one that I got at my local health food store... the brand is Inesscents. Have you heard of it? It was the only one they had, and the cashier said they sell a lot of it

shrug.gif

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 02/18/2013 2:28 am

I don't know if anyone will be able to help but thought I'd ask anyway

For people outside of the US who are using de la cruz sulfur ointment - where are you going online to buy it? I was planning on ordering it on amazon last night but the shipping costs were ridiculous! I'll try looking on ebay but I was just wondering if there are any other places to look?

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 02/21/2013 12:13 pm

Coconut oil can be clogging for some. Others love it for their skin. You have to see what it does for you. I try to avoid it if possible. However, my daughter is using natural black soap that likely does have coconut oil in it. She likes it and feels it's clearing up her acne better than the previous soap we were using.

OK... I'm still using the black soap w/the coconut oil, and I've been liking it, but in the last several days I've gotten about 2-3 fairly deep bumps. They aren't terribly red or inflamed, though. I'm not sure if it's from the soap, or what... My son is using it, and has not had this problem. hmmmm so I don't know if it's the soap or not..? I'll keep an eye on it. thx for the info!

>>>>

Thank you so much for the thread about pH! Lots of great info there. I called the company who makes the African black soap that I bought, and asked what the pH is. The girl was very pleasant, but didn't know the answer. She took my number & said she would ask & get back to me. She said in the 3 yrs she's worked there, no one has ever asked her that question. I was a little surprised by that.

So today I found the De La Cruz sulfur ointment at a local Walgreens I just used it on myself, left it on for 10 minutes & now my face is pretty red. Do you know if that's normal? It feels pretty clean though. And while it was on, my face really itched but I refrained from touching it. It still itches a little now. Did your son have any itching while he used it? I'm going to have my son try it in a few minutes.

Regarding the Cuticare soap, I am not comfortable with using it on my face. It leaves a waxy feel that just "feels" pore clogging to me. The De La Cruz is my favorite sulfur treatment so far - the ingredients are simple and it washes away completely.

lockquote>

Interesting about the Cuticare soap... it looked so promising on the website. But the fact that it was developed by a veterinarian left me a little confused, LOL. I agree about the DLC sulfur stuff... I like that it's so easy to wash off, and it's not as messy as I thought it would be. My son is still using it each night, and sometimes overnight as a spot treatment to dry up stubborn big ones. It seems to be drying things up, but not too much. And I love that it's so cheap!!!

Yeah, it seems to be a very straight forward product, with no extra irritating ingredients. Glad to hear it's working out so far! No redness or flaking yet? (My son never had that, but others have reported it.)

No, he hasn't had any redness from it... on the contrary, it seems to have helped some redness subside. He has had some dry spots, which makes sense to me, since it seems to be drying things up. But not excessively, though. Spots dry up, then he can just flake off the skin. It's not completely "curing" him of course, but has seemed to help. As for the black soap, I think we will stop using it. I seem to be breaking out more than I have in awhile, and I can only attribute it to clogging of the pores sad.png

So how are things going with the sulfur ointment? What is your son using for a cleanser now? If you don't mind my asking, what condition was his skin in before he started using the sulfur cream?

I think I am going to start my son back on the sulfur. As I said before, it worked wonders last summer. It stopped working after about 2-3 months though. I don't know if that's because he started school and was stressed or if it's because of needing to change out certain products because our skin gets used to them. I don't really understand when that theory applies. I do know that I need to switch shampoos every 3 months or so.

His skin isn't nearly as bad as it was last summer, so I guess I will just have him apply it for 1/2 an hour then rinse it off rather than leave it on all night. You said that your son uses it as an overnight spot treatment. Does that seem to work pretty good?

MemberMember
(@txngrl)

Posted : 02/23/2013 1:07 pm

>>>>

lockquote>

Interesting about the Cuticare soap... it looked so promising on the website. But the fact that it was developed by a veterinarian left me a little confused, LOL. I agree about the DLC sulfur stuff... I like that it's so easy to wash off, and it's not as messy as I thought it would be. My son is still using it each night, and sometimes overnight as a spot treatment to dry up stubborn big ones. It seems to be drying things up, but not too much. And I love that it's so ch

eap!!!

No, he hasn't had any redness from it... on the contrary, it seems to have helped some redness subside. He has had some dry spots, which makes sense to me, since it seems to be drying things up. But not excessively, though. Spots dry up, then he can just flake off the skin. It's not completely "curing" him of course, but has seemed to help. As for the black soap, I think we will stop using it. I seem to be breaking out more than I have in awhile, and I can only attribute it to clogging of the pores sad.png

So how are things going with the sulfur ointment? What is your son using for a cleanser now? If you don't mind my asking, what condition was his skin in before he started using the sulfur cream?

I think I am going to start my son back on the sulfur. As I said before, it worked wonders last summer. It stopped working after about 2-3 months though. I don't know if that's because he started school and was stressed or if it's because of needing to change out certain products because our skin gets used to them. I don't really understand when that theory applies. I do know that I need to switch shampoos every 3 months or so.

His skin isn't nearly as bad as it was last summer, so I guess I will just have him apply it for 1/2 an hour then rinse it off rather than leave it on all night. You said that your son uses it as an overnight spot treatment. Does that seem to work pretty good?

My son was using the sulfur ointment daily, up until 2 days ago. The only reason he's not using it now, is because I took him to an esthetician who recommended Dermalogica, so I bought the skin clearing kit and he's using that cleanser now. The products are salicylic acid based. I was not unhappy w/the sulfur... it seemed to be drying up the existing acne, but wasn't really preventing new breakouts. I do like it, and he will probably use it again in the future, but for now we're trying Dermalogica, and the treatments from the esthetician. She did some extractions and some treatments including a peel, which is drying out his skin but she says it's necessary to get rid of the infection. We'll see. I would say he has moderately severe acne, but it's not covering his entire face. The only place he doesn't have it is on his cheeks.

He only rarely used the sulfur ointment as a spot treatment. It was mainly just the full mask every evening... he would leave it on until he took his shower (for maybe 30-45 min). At night for spot treatments he was using tea tree oil. That worked OK but I know for some people it is too strong. It didn't burn his face though.

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 02/23/2013 3:35 pm

I hope your son sees some improvement with the new products! Keep us posted on how they work out. I enjoyed some of the skin care videos on the Dermatologica web site.

My son was prescribed Fish oil for his dry eyes and he broke out really bad from them. I just thought I'd let you know in case he's taking them.

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 03/12/2013 1:16 pm

>360616951">

>>>>

lockquote>

Interesting about the Cuticare soap... it looked so promising on the website. But the fact that it was developed by a veterinarian left me a little confused, LOL. I agree about the DLC sulfur stuff... I like that it's so easy to wash off, and it's not as messy as I thought it would be. My son is still using it each night, and sometimes overnight as a spot treatment to dry up stubborn big ones. It seems to be drying things up, but not too much. And I love that it's so ch

eap!!!

>360642215">

My son was using the sulfur ointment daily, up until 2 days ago. The only reason he's not using it now, is because I took him to an esthetician who recommended Dermalogica, so I bought the skin clearing kit and he's using that cleanser now. The products are salicylic acid based. I was not unhappy w/the sulfur... it seemed to be drying up the existing acne, but wasn't really preventing new breakouts. I do like it, and he will probably use it again in the future, but for now we're trying Dermalogica, and the treatments from the esthetician. She did some extractions and some treatments including a peel, which is drying out his skin but she says it's necessary to get rid of the infection. We'll see. I would say he has moderately severe acne, but it's not covering his entire face. The only place he doesn't have it is on his cheeks.

He only rarely used the sulfur ointment as a spot treatment. It was mainly just the full mask every evening... he would leave it on until he took his shower (for maybe 30-45 min). At night for spot treatments he was using tea tree oil. That worked OK but I know for some people it is too strong. It didn't burn his face though.

txngrl - How is your son doing with the new products?

MemberMember
(@txngrl)

Posted : 03/14/2013 12:04 am

Hi, he's doing OK. We like the Dermalogica, it seems really gentle. And they make this great masque which he's been using. But I haven't seen life-changing improvements yet, LOL. There are several things he's doing, so I'm not really sure which one is helping him, or if it's the combination of everything. I'm very concerned about his neck/shoulders/back. It's gotten way worse there. Lots of cystic bumps all over the place. Poor guy. But his face seems better. His esthetician seems happy with it. Today she started treating his back & neck too, so hopefully she can help that area. I also made an appt for him to see a derm, the same one I saw as a teen, he's very good. But we couldn't get in until 7 weeks from now :(

How's your boy doing?

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 03/16/2013 1:47 am

I'm glad to hear that you're seeing some good results with the esthetician and new products. Too bad you have to wait so long to see a dermatologist. He has never been before? My son has been to quite a few, but either the prescriptions didn't work or he wouldn't use them because of how they felt on his skin. He was younger then. He's 15 now.

My son had a seious breakout from fish oil, as I mentioned before. His forehead and temples were covered with pimples. He is almost clear there, but now he is having trouble in other areas, although not as severly. He is using a pretty minimal approach, alternating with a homemade salicylic acid/yogurt leave-on and witch hazel. I'm stilll contemplating trying out the DLC sulfur again, although he isn't crazy about that idea because of the smell. He's still taking a multivitamin that targets teen skin,adding vitamin D, and keeping an eye on diet. I can't tell if his breakouts are diet, stress or hormone related.

I just keep wishing for the day he grows out of it or we discover that a certain food is causing his troubles.