Notifications
Clear all

Why Haven't You Gotten Help

MemberMember
(@lovelorn)

Posted : 11/03/2013 9:13 pm

I see a lot of gloomy despair in these forums and I'm wondering if that's because the people suffering with severe acne are not getting the help they need under a dermatologists care.

Perhaps it's an issue of health insurance for those in the United States? Here in Canada seeing inflammatory acne out in public is not common as we have socialized medicine so everyone with an acne problems gets the help they need regardless of budget. Anyone with resistant acne just gets prescribed Accutane and then they usually clear up and it's really not a big deal after that.

I did Accutane when I was 15, and now at 24 my skin is fairly normal, granted I'm still acne prone but I only get a few pimples here and there that I can manage with a topical.

I'm wondering if most of you are not getting help? Acne is very treatable, accutane can give you a very long and successful remission. Are you not able to take the drug because of lack of insurance?

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 11/03/2013 9:53 pm

I see a lot of gloomy despair in these forums and I'm wondering if that's because the people suffering with severe acne are not getting the help they need under a dermatologists care.

Perhaps it's an issue of health insurance for those in the United States? Here in Canada seeing inflammatory acne out in public is not common as we have socialized medicine so everyone with an acne problems gets the help they need regardless of budget. Anyone with resistant acne just gets prescribed Accutane and then they usually clear up and it's really not a big deal after that.

I did Accutane when I was 15, and now at 24 my skin is fairly normal, granted I'm still acne prone but I only get a few pimples here and there that I can manage with a topical.

I'm wondering if most of you are not getting help? Acne is very treatable, accutane can give you a very long and successful remission. Are you not able to take the drug because of lack of insurance?

I think you are just trying to help, but believe me, many of us have gotten more "help" than we need from dermatologists.

It is not that simple. I am so very glad that Accutane worked for you, but for many it is not the "magic" bullet it claims to be.

MemberMember
(@lovelorn)

Posted : 11/03/2013 10:09 pm

I think you are just trying to help, but believe me, many of us have gotten more "help" than we need from dermatologists.

It is not that simple. I am so very glad that Accutane worked for you, but for many it is not the "magic" bullet it claims to be.

Maybe try Accutane again then? It's very rare not to find some kind of remission after two courses of Accutane. Granted some people are just an anomaly but for the majority Accutane usually provides a steady state of remission.

MemberMember
(@ballen)

Posted : 11/04/2013 7:10 am

I tried waiting acne out, didn't work.

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 11/04/2013 7:30 am

and accutane didn't work for me, it just sadly isn't that simple, one pill to cure all mankind of acne....it is for many and how wonderful for you that it solved everything

but for some of us accutane is contraindicated or just doesn't work...that path is much tougher and derms are of limited help, you need to be strong enough to find your own triggers and action plan, and it is HARD work.....so you get down, and this is the place for encouragement and new ideas with kindred souls

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 11/04/2013 7:37 am

Accutane may not be an option for me due to the side effects. I have bigger problems than acne.

MemberMember
(@bja87)

Posted : 11/04/2013 8:20 am

Maybe try Accutane again then? It's very rare not to find some kind of remission after two courses of Accutane. Granted some people are just an anomaly but for the majority Accutane usually provides a steady state of remission.

I have been on accutane three times and I'm still on this website...

MemberMember
(@lovelorn)

Posted : 11/04/2013 7:04 pm

I have been on accutane three times and I'm still on this website...

I don't believe that. I think you're lying, sorry. You're just being negative about accutane because you probably can't afford to take the drug or are too afraid so you write it off as ineffective. Any Doctor knows after three courses of accutane the person is totally cured.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)
MemberMember
(@lovelorn)

Posted : 11/04/2013 10:57 pm

People DO in fact lie about taking Accutane when they really didn't, I have witnessed this before, maybe it's because they're just too scared or they feel that it won't work. The ones that fail Accutane are truly a medical anomaly and are not common amongst the general population of those that have completed a course of the drug.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 11/04/2013 11:26 pm

Why would someone go out of their way to lie on an internet forum about how many times they have taken Accutane?

For a matter of fact, why would someone who is supposedly cured on Accutane bother going around telling everyone else who wasn't cured on Accutane that they are liars? What are you doing here? You're cured, or so you say. What on earth are you doing on an acne forum? Do you just like making people feel bad about themselves for having acne?

MemberMember
(@solaire)

Posted : 11/04/2013 11:53 pm

Honestly I think this post should just be deleted. Lovelorn... You're not helping, you're making things worse and just being rude. You're not a doctor and you can't generalize acne and accutane based off just your experiences. Millions of people suffer from acne and they're not all the same which means that there are many different cures, experiences, and situations. And yes... Why the heck would people be lying on this forum? It honestly makes no sense, and neither do you.

Lilly75 liked
MemberMember
(@bja87)

Posted : 11/05/2013 12:16 am

Hahahaha wtf is your deal? Why would I lie about taking accutane?? I have taken it three separate times between the ages of 17 to 21 and it did very little to improve my skin. I live in Canada so with innsurace it was fairly cheap to take so yeah I can afford to take it!!! Just because accutane my have helped you DOES not mean it's a cure for everyone... Believe me I wish it was but it's NOT! So get a life and quit bashing everyone! Thank you bye!

MemberMember
(@binga)

Posted : 11/05/2013 1:39 am

Accutane gives time for people to outgrow out of acne. If you don't then it will come back.

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 11/05/2013 3:22 am

People DO in fact lie about taking Accutane when they really didn't, I have witnessed this before, maybe it's because they're just too scared or they feel that it won't work. The ones that fail Accutane are truly a medical anomaly and are not common amongst the general population of those that have completed a course of the drug.

actually the biggest anomaly here is you, unless you are 10 years old. This topic should be deleted

MemberMember
(@littlelake)

Posted : 11/05/2013 12:42 pm

Actually per your post about people just needing to end their lives, you should be permabanned. :D If you don't have something positive to give, go away.

dry.png

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/10/2013 4:29 am

My Dr has told me that if at 34 I haven't outgrown my acne then it's part of me :(

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 11/12/2013 1:42 am

Really dude? I hope you realize that not every treatment modality is going to work for everyone. If i had the chance to end 5 years of suffering and try accutane to boot i would still deny to take it and suffer that long. The side effects are not worth it for me anyway.

Plus, some of us do not seek treatment because we are afraid. I had the hardest time just admitting to my mother that the real reason i skipped college second year was because of acne, even then i tried to handle it myself for months before seeing a doctor and even later a pyschologist (for other reasons i.e recent divorce). Its easier said then done and I live in the land of the best medical treatment.

Like others have said. Your boarding on a fine line of not helping and being a negative #$%^

"Any Doctor knows after three courses of accutane the person is totally cured."

No.