Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone,

My name is Chris. I'm a 20 year old male and I've been on accutane 3 times. The first time was sophomore year in high school, the dose was 60 to 80 mg per day. It worked pretty well at clearing most of the cysts. I relapsed a year later. The second time was freshman year of college with a dosage of 20-40 mg per day. When I was on it, I was clear. However, 3 months after I got off, I relapsed. The third time I went on it was 2.5 months ago. Again I was 20 to 40 mg a day, and was clear for the entire time. Now I have moderate acne breakouts, and I fear they will again become cystic eventually.

Now. I wanted to know if I'm allowed to go on it a fourth time, has anyone ever been on it a fourth time? How did you convince your dermatologist?

If I can go on it again, should I up my dose seeing as after a 20 mg a day dose doesn't cause permanent remission?

Also, has anyone ever been on a low dose program for more than the 5th month period as a way to have constant clear skin? If so, how did you approach this to your dermatologist, and get around the Ipledge program?

Please help! Thanks so much

Chris

I understand how desperate you must feel. I just finished my second round of Accutane and it didn't work as well as I hoped. I think you're unfortunately in the 1% group of people who don't have long term success with Accutane. 4 rounds seems pretty brutal on your body, especially if there is no guarantee that it works. You still are young and have time to grow out of acne. I'm not saying everyone does grow out of it but you have a better chance of growing out of it than someone who is 25.

Thanks for the empathy, it's good to know there are others out there who feel the same. Are you going to try for a third time? and I wonder if anyone has ever done a fourth...

I have researched! I've seen that some people get permanent remission. I was hoping for that. I've also seen people who say they are on it a fourth or fifth time even.

What regimen would you recommend?

That's the problem, there is no recipe for all. The nearest thing is Dan's regimen. BUT, I suggest to research about acne and try products that you consider to give it a try. Not the miracle stuff.

Below is my regimen, seems to work ok. What I do? I I have a little pimple in its first stages, Salycilic Acid on the spot, before that I clean the scene with Tea tree oil. That helps. If the bloody pimple is difficult and wants to become a cyst, I take ibuprofen, so I stop inflammation. For strongholds, BP 2,5% make it good.

I use a cleanser, moisturizer and the spot stuff. That is about it. I know! .. it is difficult, I spend some time of my life doing that stuff like a girl put in make up, but that is the way it is.

I am also trying that my skin can deal normally with clogged pores and bacteria - that is ti say I sometimes put just moisturizer. I wash my face just twice a day.

perhaps ur dose is too low for your body weight because the succes of accutane is dose-related...and u started so early so more likely its ur horrone which makes u break out...

Thanks for the empathy, it's good to know there are others out there who feel the same. Are you going to try for a third time? and I wonder if anyone has ever done a fourth...

No I won't ever. I've accepted that Accutane isn't going to work for me how it does for other people. There's no point in pumping my body full of chemicals if it's not likely to bring any benefit.

IF I WERE U ILL CHANGE MY DERM AND OF COURSE NEVER TELL THAT U R ON UR FOURTH COURSE BCOZ NO DOCTOR WILL EVER GIVE U AN ACCUTANE.....U NEED A DERM WHO HAS DETERMINATION TO HELP ACNE SUFFERERS.....IN MY CASE, I THOUGHT THAT MY DERM WILL NEVER GIVE ME THIS DRUG BCOZ MINE IS NOT VERY SEVERE BUT PERSISTENT...AND I ONLY WEOGH 54 KG AND FOR THE FIRST MONTH SHE GAVE ME 50MG DOSE FOLLOWED BY 60MG FOR THE SUCCEEDING MONTH.....IN JUST ONLY 2 MONTHS, I HAD CLEAR SKIN...COMPARE TO OTHER DERM WHO WILL PRESCRIBE A LOW DOSE FOR THE FIRST MONTH AND A LITTLE HIGHER FOR THE REMAINING MONTHS....THE RESULT? ACNE COMES BACK AND THEY WILL SELL U THEIR PRODUCTS AND SUBMIT URSELF TO LASERS WHICH R NOT ACTUALLY WORKING...U NEED AN AGRESSIVE DERM DUDE

Can you post your cumulative dosage numbers? That really sucks dude, and I feel for ya.

uhmmm I don't know how to come up with these...

and I'm going to a new derm on June 18th. I'm going to run all these ideas by him and see what he says! I'll keep everyone posted, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wonders about just how many times a person can go on accutane

I'm sorry Accutane didn't keep you clear long term! Acne is so frustrating! I'm on my first Accutane course so I can't be of too much help in the relapse department. But since your acne is still only moderate and not cystic, maybe topicals would work? I hope I don't sound dumb, because obviously everyone on Accutane has tried topicals first. I have heard really good things about Klaron. Queen Helene's Mint Julep mask has also help me with inflammation. Hopefully, this will be helpful. I would be really open with your dermatologist and make sure they listen to you and your needs! Good luck!

Don't lie to your dermatologist or a new one if you go to one!!! Your health is more important than having acne. I will say most people I know on Accutane start off with at least 40mg-80 mg a day, so perhaps your dosage was too low. Have you considered some of the pricier treatments like chemical peals or laser treatment?? At least those won't affect your health.