Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
coolguy

anyone taken accutane more than 3 rounds. 4th and 5th? anyone?

can someone share their experience with me if they have taken a 4rth round of accutane or even a 5th round? i want to hear people's advices on whether it has been worthwhile or not. and your experience. tell me your success stories or horror stories. and for HOW LONG has it kept your skin clear after finishing accutane. don't just tell me it worked for you. i want to know if it worked in the long run. eg more than 1 year. for me i took 3 rounds at 40mg for 4 months each round. for the 3rd round i had it extended for 3 more months but on a low dose of 10mg each day to control my acne from coming back. so for the 3rd round you can say i was on 7 months of accutane. each round of accutane i seem to get only 9 months (from the point of accutane ingestion) of clear skin. not even a year :(. i'm seriously thinking of going on a 4th round. because i remember after finishing the 2nd round it was unbearable when i had the biggest cyst on my face in my life. i'd rather have eczema than this acne to be honest.

I was on accutane 10 mg for 7 months and stopped it , my face was perfect , 6 months later

and the DAMN acne started to grow again

and i'm now on doxycycline

Hi - I'm a couple of weeks short of finishing my 4th course (80mg/day 4 months)..Wouldn't hesitate to do a 5th if ever required. Works wonders for me for a few years then the dreaded rhubarb and custard bumps tend to slowly return, though nothing like as bad as in my late teens / early 20's (now 40). I'm just not prepared to live with even minimal acne & know isotretinoin works pretty well for me (it's comparatively cheap here too). Usual dry lips, really dry/red eyes, but otherwise well tolerated, fortunately.

Hope that helps..

Hi,

-First course - 80mg/day - 6 months = clear for 5 years

-Second course - 80mg/day - 6 months = clear for 2 years (although when started breaking oot again it was not as bad as before the first course)

Now, I DID have a third course, technically, although I don't really count it because it was just a couple months because I moved out of the US to India and could not fin d a derm to treat me, so quit it because I was worried about the safety - they did not want to do blood tests and did nto want to give me the medicine... What I did take managed to keep me clear for 8 months.

-Third course (technically 4th event of taking Accutane, if you count above) - 80mg/day - currently in month 3 and it is hell on earth. Quitting today. Doc on vacation. Living in Asia. Completely different reaction that the first two courses. Super bad breakout still in the third month, and in places where I never broke out before. Thinking tha something is wrong, and I am tearing up my face by getting a ton of new scars from this IB. Not worth it and want to be back home with my regular derm before proceeding with this.

hey everyone, just want to say thanks for all your replies. i haven't heard too many people who have cleared at least "MOST" of their acne in the long run so i am still unsure about going for a 4th round :( so don't know if it's worth it. of course i wouldn't want to take it if it will make me break out worse every time i finish. aside from that i've also been having serious depression lately so that makes me even more unsure about this 4th round. i think i'm going to have a chat with my doctor about it. if anyone else has success stories of staying clear in the long run of more than a year or if accutane was not worth it for you please reply. thanks!