Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Igby Slocumb

Starting 4th course of accutane

Hey, I've done 3 full courses of accutane, all of them lasting about 6 months with a year or so in between. I'm 19 and I'm going to be starting my fourth time within a month. I've had acne since I was probably 11 or 12 and I just don't know what to do anymore, I really don't like having to be on the drug and taking all the risks for the side effects but my acne is pretty severe. Has anyone had this problem and can maybe recommend a different treatment that works? Thanks so much I would appreciate it.

Hey, I've done 3 full courses of accutane, all of them lasting about 6 months with a year or so in between. I'm 19 and I'm going to be starting my fourth time within a month. I've had acne since I was probably 11 or 12 and I just don't know what to do anymore, I really don't like having to be on the drug and taking all the risks for the side effects but my acne is pretty severe. Has anyone had this problem and can maybe recommend a different treatment that works? Thanks so much I would appreciate it.

What were your dosages while on tane the first 3 times? I know how you feel but a 4th course means it is not working. Try other things. I know that is easier said than done. Did it improve at all after one year when you took your first course. I would also read up onthe internet about new treatments taht are coming out. Some guy put something on here about some new laser treatment they are testing. Dont give up, clear skin will come for all of us!!

What were your dosages while on tane the first 3 times? I know how you feel but a 4th course means it is not working. Try other things. I know that is easier said than done. Did it improve at all after one year when you took your first course. I would also read up onthe internet about new treatments taht are coming out. Some guy put something on here about some new laser treatment they are testing. Dont give up, clear skin will come for all of us!!

The first time I went up to 80 and the other two times I think the highest was 60. I believe I read somewhere that there's a small percentage that have to go on it 4 - 5 times until it actually works, but I've never actually met or heard stories like that, it was just a statistic on a website. Yeah, the first time my skin got really clear, then it started coming back and I put off going on it for a while. The second time my skin got clear but not as much as the first time and same goes for the third. I want to know there's still hope! lol

jesus, 4th time? fucking skin eh.

i went on tane and it killed all my cysts and most of the big spots, and has just left me with white heads and red marks, is it really good for your body to be on tane that much?

Dude most people need only one course of accutane and 2 the most! If it comes back after 2 that means it just isn't working on you!

How old were you when you took your first course? It can't be good for your body to take so many courses in such a short period of time. I would try other treatments and give your body some time to rest. Perhaps in a few years your horomones/body chemistry will change and accutane will be more effective, but if you take it again now I'm sure you'll have a hard time finding a doctor who will prescribe a fifth course.

How old were you when you took your first course? It can't be good for your body to take so many courses in such a short period of time. I would try other treatments and give your body some time to rest. Perhaps in a few years your horomones/body chemistry will change and accutane will be more effective, but if you take it again now I'm sure you'll have a hard time finding a doctor who will prescribe a fifth course.

None of the dermatologists I went to seemed to even hesitate before deciding to perscribe be another course. (Hopefully I won't need a 5th time!!) The first time I went on Accutane I think I was 14 or 15?... I'm 19 now. I've had at least a year if not more between each course. Yeah, I know it's not good for my body that's why I'm wondering if anyone out there had any suggestions. I hear that antibiotics gets rid of it while you're on it but as soon as you go off it comes back, and it's not so great for your immune system. And re: the hormones, I had them checked and they're normal. Well if anyone knows an effective alternative let me know!

I'm so sorry to read your post. :(

Have you tried any of the Vitamin B5 or the B12 line? My friend has acne, and oil problems as well and she swears by it, that it's basically has her in the clear and under control.

Also, I heard a lot about Photodynamic Therapy on the news and reading up on it through the Internet.

One day you'll be acne free for good. :) Good luck and God bless! :)

Holly shit, 3 times? thats very tough on your liver and kidneys. I suggest trying something else. Try my regime with the clear and clear cleanser. its listed just below this post. Also, try avoiding sugary foods and reduce your wheat intake. You can try it, it couldn't hurt? :) I think I have about mild acne now. But now I am on strict diet with one day off a week. We will see if it works:) I posted it under dietary holistic and adult acne forums under "now or never". But its pretty restrictive. But I strongly suggest you reconsider using accutane for the 4th time. I used accutane one time, and it was enough to ruin my stomach. I can't eat meat or chicken now coz it gives me diareah. And acne always comes back in most people after accutane:(

Ive been totally clear for months now. It can't come back....I just dont think I can go through all that shit again. :(

No, acne absolutely does not always come back after accutane. I have an older and younger brother, both were on it only once and they're both perfectly clear now. My mom went on it once too and she's clear as well. It seems like I'm immuned to it in my family or something. My mom keeps telling me I eat too much sweets. But there's not too much that I've seen which supports a direct link between acne and diet.

Here's my experience:

I've been on accutane 3 times. The first course ended my cystic acne for good. After that, my oily skin came back, and some minor acne. But no cysts. Accutane changed my life for the better.

The 2nd course was a few years later, because I had persistent minor to moderate acne.

It helped, but after the effects of accutane wore off, my oily skin returned. So did minor acne.

The 3rd course worked just like the 2nd course. This time I wasn't under a doctor's care.

I bought the accutane off a website. (not the smartest thing to do)

The net effect was to knock-out my very bad cystic acne condition. But it didn't knock-out my

oily skin and minor acne. I don't think I'll have another course, because once the course ends,

I'll be back to where I'm now.

BTW, I've used B5 two times, and it does work very well. Problem is, once it takes effect, my

clear skin only lasts for a couple of months at most, then the effects wear off.