Lemon Juice (applied topically) reviews

4.4/5 - 819 reviews

Didint work so well for me!!
Reviewed on October 14, 2014

When i tried applying fresh lemon juice on my acne, i could feel a stinging feeling and it got better after a while. But the next day, the skin inflammation got worse and breakouts started to increase. It didnt work well on my skin, maybe i have a sensitive skin. I tried egg white and it works best for me!!

Simple to use and it works for me!
Reviewed on September 24, 2014

I only recently started hearing about lemon juice being used topically, and I decided to try it out for myself when I began seeing no hope in clearing up the dark marks and acne scars left behind by my previous breakouts. I bought a lemon at the local grocer (really, it's just that easy!) and began applying it by q-tip right after my morning wash (before toning and applying spot treatment) and right before bed. Within 3 or 4 days I had already began seeing the big red splotches fade away (not dramatically, but they definitely went from dark brown and bright red to maybe two or three shades lighter), and within a week they were reduced to almost half of their original size. Now, to be fair, I still have slight scarring and marks but they are WAY lighter and smaller than before I began using lemon juice.

I also tried using the lemon to cure a large cystic pimple that appeared while testing this method, and while it didn't really clear up the spot, it did make it less noticeable and red.

I, for sure, would recommend at least trying this method if you want to rid yourself of acne scars or dark marks.

PROS:

It reduced the redness of ongoing acne and acne scarring / dark marks

It smells good!

It seems to dry out skin (if using more than just a dab on a q-tip or cotton ball) which can be good for beginning to clear up acne

CONS:

It's drying if used in excess

It makes your skin *extremely* sensitive to sunlight, avoid going in direct sun if you have lemon juice on your face! It can actually increase skin problems if you do (such as freckles and more dark marks / acne).

Acne Scars
Reviewed on August 19, 2014

I can't comment on how well this works on active acne as I have only ever used it as a topical hyper-pigmentation treatment. But with the limited safe options for the treatment of acne hyper-pigmentation I think applying lemon topically (when done correctly) is really good option. I have beat my acne in the past, unfortunately it has come back, don't you hate that!? But when my acne was all clear I started to use lemon, undiluted on a cotton pad as a toner, only in the evenings to limit sun exposure during use. The first thing I noticed was it is a fantastic chemical exfoliator, my skin felt smooth and glow-y, and although it wasn't an overnight miracle, gradually my scars began to fade. I would say they were gone completely within 2 months. If you are worried about skin sensitivity, dilute the lemon juice 1:1 with water and for gods sake do a patch test! It's the only way to be sure if something it going to irritate your skin, try it on your jaw or somewhere your hair covers anyway and wait for 24 hours. I'd rather the wait than wake up with a bright red face! And use fresh lemons, that lemon juice you get in a bottle is okay but its full of preservatives and has no where near the vitamin C content of a fresh lemon, just wrap your lemon in cling film and pop it in the fridge. It will stay fresh for a week.

Best Natural Treatment + Lightener Ever!
Reviewed on August 8, 2014

I am always willing to try new natural products when it comes to my skin. Not only is it safer but I feel that it produces better results. As for lemon juice, it is my personal savior. Not only do I apply it on my skin, but I drink a cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice daily. You might think lemon is acidic, and it is - outside of the body. But, when you ingest it, it turns into alkaline which is extremely good for your body and helps fight diseases and illnesses like acne.

Lemon juice WORKS because it is a disinfectant and destroys any acne bacteria that contributes to developing acne. It also removes dead skin cells because it is highly acidic and therefore exfoliates the skin. Eventually skin will be smoother and scars will start to diminish and fade.

However, even though Lemon Juice is a great acne treatment it should be used with caution! Always dilute it, as it's pure form can have a harsh effect on the skin. Since it is so acidic, it can open the pimple right up and result in bleeding and can sting quite badly. Diluting it half and half with either apple cider vinegar, witch hazel or tea tree oil, can help alleviate the sting and any other symptoms that it may bring.

I mix mine with witch hazel and use it as soon as i get up in the morning and before I go to bed. I apply it on just my acne-prone areas (My t-zone) and leave it on. I let it dry for about 5 minutes and I then apply tea tree oil and let dry as well. After all is said and done, I apply Organic virgin coconut oil as a moisturizer. Also be sure to drink a cup of fresh lemon juice daily squeezed from one lemon. It is a great detox drink and does wonders for the body.

by swolfee12 on 09/09/2014 01:53
My face gets extremely oily and dry. Any face wash that I use that has acid really dries out my face so I try to stay clear of acid in cleansers. Who it be the same result with lemon juice? My desperate.
I seen immediat results
Reviewed on August 7, 2014

The first thing you want to do is wash your face with warm water. I sliced a lemon thin squeeze the juice in a container. Use a cotton swab and put the juice all over my face. For the first 5-10 it WILL BURN but that means it's working. I kept it on for an hour and the results were amazing this will be something I do on a daily basis

Does not work externally
Reviewed on July 19, 2014

I am suffering from acne since long time. I have acne on both sides (right and left) upper cheeks. My face skin is very oily. I have tried applying lemon juice on my acne i dilute it in water because applying lemon juice direct on skin can be strong! Whenever i apply it my skin irritates and it itches alot, and my skin literally become RED !! I also applied the lemon juice directly without diluting it in water but it is very very irritating and i have to wash it off immediately. I have also tried applying lemon by mixing it with another things like, honey, tomato, fuller's earth, gram flour etc but never saw any good results. Lemon does not work on my skin at all i've tried it couple of times. But yes for internal use its best! i drink lemon water and lemon with green tea daily and it is good ! :) I would also like to say that if it does not works for me it is not necessary that it will also not work for ur skin too. Everyone has different skin. There are so many people who give positive feedback about applying lemon on their skin and it works for them. So it depends on ur skin. Try it if u see any betterment then it means it works for ur skin and if not, and ur skin irritates means it does not works for u. Best of luck everyone :)

by LeksiBabi on 08/08/2014 16:44
Hey sorry to hear about your bad experience. Lemon juice usually does work but if you're having that many problems, it is definitely because your skin is overly sensitive to the acidic properties in the lemon juice. It's great to hear your drinking it. That will definitely have a major impact on your skin. Just try to stay away from junk foods and fried foods because lemon juice will not work to detox the body if you are feeding it other bad foods. I hope it works for you. Lemon juice works on my skin so I'm one of the lucky ones. Have you tried diluting it with 3/4 witch hazel? And are you using pure lemon juice from a lemon rather than the lemon juice bottles you buy in the store?
scars
Reviewed on July 7, 2014

I'm so glad that i used this instead of the "burning face mask". i found that almost impossible to make and it didn't even burn! i had taken a paper towel and ripped it to fit the curves of my face, then i poured lemon juice into a container and soaked my paper towels in the lemon juice. after, i drained the extra juice out of my paper towels by lightly squeezing them, and then placing them on my face. i keep them on my voce for about half an hour (or however long i feel like keeping them there). i can feel the places where i have scars and acne slightly burning! i then rinse off my face and rub ice cubes on for about 3-5 minutes. then i rinse my face with cool water and dab-dry. feels amazing and works great!

by LeksiBabi on 08/08/2014 16:45
That is an awesome way to apply the lemon juice to your face. Never thought of using paper towels as sort of a face mask. Thanks for the advice, definitely going to try this!
Dark marks
Reviewed on July 5, 2014

great for dark marks and healing scars. It's helped A LOT with my skin

Help required of experts.
Reviewed on July 4, 2014

Please help me out, I have pimples and acne. Kindly guide me how to reduce pimples by using Lemon.

by lolopop on 07/05/2014 23:38
Take a fresh lemon and squeeze a tad onto a cotton ball. Place the cotton ball on your acne or scars for ten minutes. Then wash your face. Repeat this process once a day. Lemon juice can make your skin sensitive to light so make sure to apply sunscreen before going outside :) hope this helped!
by LeksiBabi on 08/08/2014 16:49
It is best to dilute the lemon juice at first as your skin may be overly sensitive to the acidic properties and everyone has different skin and therefore different results. Mix it with either apple cider vinegar, witch hazel or tea tree oil - they are all very soothing mixing agents that will not sting your skin. Mix about half and half in a small cup, make sure you use fresh lemon juice from a fresh squeezed lemon - no store bought stuff in the bottle. Use a cotton ball and apply it to your acne infected areas at first just to see if it stings. You don't want to apply it to your entire face if you could possibly have a reaction. You don't need to keep applying it, once is enough and over-applying it could lead to burning or bleeding. You also do not need to wash your face, you should leave it on. If it stings then wash it off, wait about 10 minutes and dilute it more before trying again. You can do this in the morning and at night. Do twice daily for best results. Also use coconut oil afterwards to moisturize your skin. It helps greatly in developing a protective natural moisture barrier and will result in fewer breakouts. I've done this for years and the only reason my acne is back now is because I'm pregnant - it's very hard to fight hormonal pregnant acne. But I have used lemon juice for years and it always works. Just take the proper precautions and you'll be fine!
Great discovery
Reviewed on June 29, 2014

It makes my skin itchy for a little while after but definitely worth it. Scars look redder after applied but that is only until you wash the lemon juiced off. Can see results a few days later!!

by LeksiBabi on 08/08/2014 16:51
Have you tried diluting it with apple cider vinegar, witch hazel, tea tree oil or even water? I find that helps with the stinging, and eventually you don't need to dilute it because your skin will build up a better barrier to the lemon juice and it won't sting as much.