Lemon Juice (applied topically) reviews

4.3/5 - 825 reviews

Please do not use this topically!
Reviewed on November 24, 2014

I've been recommended by my mother and even a dermatologist to use raw lemon or lemon juice directly on my face which I've learned from studying the science behind skincare, dermatology journals, and cosmetic chemistry is actually a terrible thing to do to your skin.

It may seem like it may be a good idea because it's cheap, natural, and contains vitamin c. Vitamin c is known to help with hyper pigmentation and similar issues but applying vitamin c topically in the form of lemon juice or other acidic substances like tomato is a bad idea because lemon juice is highly acidic. It has a pH of around 2 whereas the PH of your skin is around 5.5. Prolonged use of highly acidic or highly alkaline substances can damage the acid mantle and moisture barrier of your skin, thus making it difficult for your skin to repair itself on its own and makes it more sensitive since it has been compromised.

I used to use this in a mask with tomato juice and rice flour and it never really did anything to benefit my skin. It damaged my skin to where I was having a lot of inflammatory acne in response to all the irritation it caused (burning, dryness) . I've since been able to repair my skin by using pH balanced products and remedies that are actually safe for use on the skin like honey.

If you're looking for ways to lighten your dark spots or post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, better options are Niacinamide, vitamin c serums (you can make these yourself, but have to do a lot of research and make sure you get the pH right for it to be effective while still being safe for skin), licorice root extract, And AHA's like Gycolic acid. It may be less convenient and less cost efficient to buy products formulated with actives that are scientifically proven to be beneficial for skin, but you will see long term results from using well formulated products on your skin than to just desperately rub lemon on your face.

Help
Reviewed on November 23, 2014

So, here's my routine;

In the morning I wash my face with a Cetaphil cleanser, then I use something that my dermatologist prescribed, forgot what it's called. It's a topical gel, though. Then I use the Cetaphil lotion.

At night I use the same cleanser and lotion, instead of the topical gel, I use another thing my dermatologist prescribed, which aren't name brands or anything. Then I soak a paper towel in lemon juice, and leave it on my face for about 20 minutes. Next, I rinse off my face with cold water, then rub ice cubes on my face for 2-5 minutes and rinse off with cold water again and then use a towel to dab-dry my skin.

I've been using lemon juice for a couple of days now and I honestly haven't noticed a difference, like everyone is saying. Part of my acne got a bit worse, but I think that had nothing to do with the juice or ice. Advice?

Yes for scars!
Reviewed on November 15, 2014

I suffer from cystic acne and white head acne and yes now and again I am a guilty squeeze popper.

Thus leaving big fat brown/red marks.

My skin seems more sensitive internally than externally so I do not dilute the lemon juice anymore, but for anyone with externally sensitive skin the ratio should be 1:1 to water or I've seen some others using honey or w/e.

Anyway I usually dab the depressed area with a cotton bud of the lemon juice when I come home from class and leave it on until evening wash (at night I use Hiruscar which I also find effective)

Anyway I must say, with just a few days of using this treatment my scars are NOTICEABLY better than would have been without using it in the same amount of time.

I really recommend!!

LEMON DROPS
Reviewed on November 3, 2014

lemon on the skin is good once in a blue-moon as it tends to irritate your skin not in a passive way but harshly if you do not use it properly you could go from 3 pimples 12 pimples in a days time! from all the stressing it may cause YOUR SKIN i would recommend diluting it first and start on small areas mostly that are infected as it would kill the bacteria before it spreads to other places on your face,back or shoulders .i do recommend it but to be used with CAUTION

Great for oily skin and blackheads
Reviewed on November 1, 2014

Whenever I use lemon juice ( once to twice a week ), I focus on the areas that have blackheads, so around my lips and nose. I let it do its magic overnight and really do see the results. I don't apply the juice all over my face because it would make it dry and the acidic pH would make my sensitive skin act up. Overall great product but make sure to use freshly squeezed juice and lime works fine as well.

It works on the scars
Reviewed on October 26, 2014

I started using this and right on the next day i could see a difference. I have been using this to remove the scars left behind by the acne. For me 3-4 weeks would be enough to remove it completely and a week to fade away the redness. I cut a very thin slice of lemon and apply a drop of honey on it and rub the slice directly on the scars and leave it overnight. I also squeeze the juice out of the lemon slice to my scar and leave it overnight. It has been doing wonders for me. And the best part being a single lemon being used for more than a week.

Didint work so well for me!!
Reviewed on October 14, 2014

When i tried applying fresh lemon juice on my acne, i could feel a stinging feeling and it got better after a while. But the next day, the skin inflammation got worse and breakouts started to increase. It didnt work well on my skin, maybe i have a sensitive skin. I tried egg white and it works best for me!!

Simple to use and it works for me!
Reviewed on September 24, 2014

I only recently started hearing about lemon juice being used topically, and I decided to try it out for myself when I began seeing no hope in clearing up the dark marks and acne scars left behind by my previous breakouts. I bought a lemon at the local grocer (really, it's just that easy!) and began applying it by q-tip right after my morning wash (before toning and applying spot treatment) and right before bed. Within 3 or 4 days I had already began seeing the big red splotches fade away (not dramatically, but they definitely went from dark brown and bright red to maybe two or three shades lighter), and within a week they were reduced to almost half of their original size. Now, to be fair, I still have slight scarring and marks but they are WAY lighter and smaller than before I began using lemon juice.

I also tried using the lemon to cure a large cystic pimple that appeared while testing this method, and while it didn't really clear up the spot, it did make it less noticeable and red.

I, for sure, would recommend at least trying this method if you want to rid yourself of acne scars or dark marks.

PROS:

It reduced the redness of ongoing acne and acne scarring / dark marks

It smells good!

It seems to dry out skin (if using more than just a dab on a q-tip or cotton ball) which can be good for beginning to clear up acne

CONS:

It's drying if used in excess

It makes your skin *extremely* sensitive to sunlight, avoid going in direct sun if you have lemon juice on your face! It can actually increase skin problems if you do (such as freckles and more dark marks / acne).

Acne Scars
Reviewed on August 19, 2014

I can't comment on how well this works on active acne as I have only ever used it as a topical hyper-pigmentation treatment. But with the limited safe options for the treatment of acne hyper-pigmentation I think applying lemon topically (when done correctly) is really good option. I have beat my acne in the past, unfortunately it has come back, don't you hate that!? But when my acne was all clear I started to use lemon, undiluted on a cotton pad as a toner, only in the evenings to limit sun exposure during use. The first thing I noticed was it is a fantastic chemical exfoliator, my skin felt smooth and glow-y, and although it wasn't an overnight miracle, gradually my scars began to fade. I would say they were gone completely within 2 months. If you are worried about skin sensitivity, dilute the lemon juice 1:1 with water and for gods sake do a patch test! It's the only way to be sure if something it going to irritate your skin, try it on your jaw or somewhere your hair covers anyway and wait for 24 hours. I'd rather the wait than wake up with a bright red face! And use fresh lemons, that lemon juice you get in a bottle is okay but its full of preservatives and has no where near the vitamin C content of a fresh lemon, just wrap your lemon in cling film and pop it in the fridge. It will stay fresh for a week.

Best Natural Treatment + Lightener Ever!
Reviewed on August 8, 2014

I am always willing to try new natural products when it comes to my skin. Not only is it safer but I feel that it produces better results. As for lemon juice, it is my personal savior. Not only do I apply it on my skin, but I drink a cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice daily. You might think lemon is acidic, and it is - outside of the body. But, when you ingest it, it turns into alkaline which is extremely good for your body and helps fight diseases and illnesses like acne.

Lemon juice WORKS because it is a disinfectant and destroys any acne bacteria that contributes to developing acne. It also removes dead skin cells because it is highly acidic and therefore exfoliates the skin. Eventually skin will be smoother and scars will start to diminish and fade.

However, even though Lemon Juice is a great acne treatment it should be used with caution! Always dilute it, as it's pure form can have a harsh effect on the skin. Since it is so acidic, it can open the pimple right up and result in bleeding and can sting quite badly. Diluting it half and half with either apple cider vinegar, witch hazel or tea tree oil, can help alleviate the sting and any other symptoms that it may bring.

I mix mine with witch hazel and use it as soon as i get up in the morning and before I go to bed. I apply it on just my acne-prone areas (My t-zone) and leave it on. I let it dry for about 5 minutes and I then apply tea tree oil and let dry as well. After all is said and done, I apply Organic virgin coconut oil as a moisturizer. Also be sure to drink a cup of fresh lemon juice daily squeezed from one lemon. It is a great detox drink and does wonders for the body.

by swolfee12 on 09/09/2014 01:53
My face gets extremely oily and dry. Any face wash that I use that has acid really dries out my face so I try to stay clear of acid in cleansers. Who it be the same result with lemon juice? My desperate.