Lemon Juice (applied topically) reviews

4.3/5 - 829 reviews

It's working!!
Reviewed on December 16, 2014

I have had acne for the past 2 years, I was told that it was hormonal, and it would go away with time and it did, but after my face started clearing up, about 2 months ago, I saw brownish, redish spots all over my face. I didn't like it cause it made it look like I had acne even though I diddnt. So I did some research and found that lemon juice can help with scarring.

I started using this about 3 days ago, an I can see a slight difference in my skin. I was sort of disappointed after using it the first few times cause it really stings when I put it on and it wasn't really showing and improvement. But I keptt at it and am noticing a difference now. Will continue using this...

Not quite sure
Reviewed on December 13, 2014

I used lemon topically to get rid of my acne hyperpigmentation for 1 and half month only and havent seen much of improvments.If you wanna use it topically give it 3 months and more.The reason i stopped using it topically is because i've found out it works better taken as drink.

Please DO NOT use lemon juice on your skin
Reviewed on December 9, 2014

Lemon juice has a pH of 2, for comparison, gastric acid (stomach acid) is 1. Skin is happiest at 4.7-5.5. Aside from the stinging, lemon juice will seriously dry skin out in addition to making it photosensitive. Don't use.

Acne & Pimples
Reviewed on December 8, 2014

I've been having acne since fourth grade but wasn't as bad as it is now! I started searching up ideas on how to clear acne fast & the options I mainly got was to apply freshly squeezed lemon onto a cotton & gently rub on your face.. Its recommended to do it ONLY at night bcus if it's done in the daylight, the sun will radiate to your face (if lemon juice is applied) causing it to redden or I guess that just depends on the skin? Can someone please tell me if this treatment actually works? If so, how long would it take to see your acne clearing up almost all the way? Tonight is my first time trying it, wish me luck!!

Please do not use this topically!
Reviewed on November 24, 2014

I've been recommended by my mother and even a dermatologist to use raw lemon or lemon juice directly on my face which I've learned from studying the science behind skincare, dermatology journals, and cosmetic chemistry is actually a terrible thing to do to your skin.

It may seem like it may be a good idea because it's cheap, natural, and contains vitamin c. Vitamin c is known to help with hyper pigmentation and similar issues but applying vitamin c topically in the form of lemon juice or other acidic substances like tomato is a bad idea because lemon juice is highly acidic. It has a pH of around 2 whereas the PH of your skin is around 5.5. Prolonged use of highly acidic or highly alkaline substances can damage the acid mantle and moisture barrier of your skin, thus making it difficult for your skin to repair itself on its own and makes it more sensitive since it has been compromised.

I used to use this in a mask with tomato juice and rice flour and it never really did anything to benefit my skin. It damaged my skin to where I was having a lot of inflammatory acne in response to all the irritation it caused (burning, dryness) . I've since been able to repair my skin by using pH balanced products and remedies that are actually safe for use on the skin like honey.

If you're looking for ways to lighten your dark spots or post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, better options are Niacinamide, vitamin c serums (you can make these yourself, but have to do a lot of research and make sure you get the pH right for it to be effective while still being safe for skin), licorice root extract, And AHA's like Gycolic acid. It may be less convenient and less cost efficient to buy products formulated with actives that are scientifically proven to be beneficial for skin, but you will see long term results from using well formulated products on your skin than to just desperately rub lemon on your face.

Help
Reviewed on November 23, 2014

So, here's my routine;

In the morning I wash my face with a Cetaphil cleanser, then I use something that my dermatologist prescribed, forgot what it's called. It's a topical gel, though. Then I use the Cetaphil lotion.

At night I use the same cleanser and lotion, instead of the topical gel, I use another thing my dermatologist prescribed, which aren't name brands or anything. Then I soak a paper towel in lemon juice, and leave it on my face for about 20 minutes. Next, I rinse off my face with cold water, then rub ice cubes on my face for 2-5 minutes and rinse off with cold water again and then use a towel to dab-dry my skin.

I've been using lemon juice for a couple of days now and I honestly haven't noticed a difference, like everyone is saying. Part of my acne got a bit worse, but I think that had nothing to do with the juice or ice. Advice?

by Friend28049597259785 on 12/01/2014 06:02
I think what you should do is stop using it because it will irritate your acne more and it will cause more breakouts. Instead use a tomato. It is effective!
Yes for scars!
Reviewed on November 15, 2014

I suffer from cystic acne and white head acne and yes now and again I am a guilty squeeze popper.

Thus leaving big fat brown/red marks.

My skin seems more sensitive internally than externally so I do not dilute the lemon juice anymore, but for anyone with externally sensitive skin the ratio should be 1:1 to water or I've seen some others using honey or w/e.

Anyway I usually dab the depressed area with a cotton bud of the lemon juice when I come home from class and leave it on until evening wash (at night I use Hiruscar which I also find effective)

Anyway I must say, with just a few days of using this treatment my scars are NOTICEABLY better than would have been without using it in the same amount of time.

I really recommend!!

LEMON DROPS
Reviewed on November 3, 2014

lemon on the skin is good once in a blue-moon as it tends to irritate your skin not in a passive way but harshly if you do not use it properly you could go from 3 pimples 12 pimples in a days time! from all the stressing it may cause YOUR SKIN i would recommend diluting it first and start on small areas mostly that are infected as it would kill the bacteria before it spreads to other places on your face,back or shoulders .i do recommend it but to be used with CAUTION

Great for oily skin and blackheads
Reviewed on November 1, 2014

Whenever I use lemon juice ( once to twice a week ), I focus on the areas that have blackheads, so around my lips and nose. I let it do its magic overnight and really do see the results. I don't apply the juice all over my face because it would make it dry and the acidic pH would make my sensitive skin act up. Overall great product but make sure to use freshly squeezed juice and lime works fine as well.

It works on the scars
Reviewed on October 26, 2014

I started using this and right on the next day i could see a difference. I have been using this to remove the scars left behind by the acne. For me 3-4 weeks would be enough to remove it completely and a week to fade away the redness. I cut a very thin slice of lemon and apply a drop of honey on it and rub the slice directly on the scars and leave it overnight. I also squeeze the juice out of the lemon slice to my scar and leave it overnight. It has been doing wonders for me. And the best part being a single lemon being used for more than a week.