Lemon Juice (applied topically) reviews

4.3/5 - 836 reviews

PLEASE HELP! ASAP!
Reviewed on March 14, 2015

I know this works because my friend's face is a smooth as a baby's butt. But when I tried this a few times before I did not experience any stinging or itching sensations. Is it supposed to sting or my skin is just abnormal? Please help.

Perfect scar treatment!
Reviewed on January 27, 2015

THE STRUGGLE: I am only 19 and have tried antibiotics, proactive (and other big brands), etc. I turned to natural remedies when I didn't want to put anything I wouldn't eat in my body or topically. I used to only have very little acne so it was easy to heal my acne scars, but after laser hair removal, my acne became moderate/almost severe within a few weeks and i was not expecting that. After that, I was unable to stop the blemishes no matter what I tried. I tried honey, egg white, turmeric, oatmeal, apple cider vinegar, and many more home remedies. They did help me get rid of my acne significantly but the scars remained, darker than they've ever been (and i NEVER pop or even touch my pimples). I was confused since i was really good with leaving my skin alone.

EXPERIENCE: As time went on, I had lots and lots of dark scars but very little acne so i did my research and came across lemon on various websites. I finally gave it a try and the first two days, I kind of lost hope thinking this was just another thing that wouldn't work on my skin. But the third day came and I could see that there was a little difference, it was not much but my scars were DARK and I could tell that they were becoming lighter. During the first few days, it did burn for about 5 minutes when first putting it on but now I am about a week and a half in this routine and it does not sting as much as it used to.

PROGRESS: So now, a week and a half later, my acne scars are fading and luckily i didn't have any ice pick scars, large pores, or anything very permanent (my pores were only slightly larger) so my skin is close to where i want it to be. It's not there yet, but i can finally believe that i can see what I want soon.

ROUTINE: I put fresh lemon juice on all over my face, not only the effected areas since it does lighten skin in general. I put on fresh lemon juice first, for about 15 minutes every night before a shower and I am now keeping it on for 30 minutes, a week and a half in. I think I am going to keep it at 30 minutes for a while since i don't want to over dry and disrupt my skins natural pH level and my skin is also a little sensitive.

EXTRA: I tried the lemon juice during the week and on the weekend, I used a banana peel and rubbed the inside on my acne/scars 3 times a day, 30 minutes each time. By the time the weekend came to an end, all my active acne had minimized greatly or a lot completely vanished and the scars were fading (detailed review on the "Banana Peel Banana" treatment). But I think the banana peel helped more with the active acne than the lemon, but the lemon worked wonders on the scars.

UPDATE: I'm a month in this routine, and I have no new acne and my scars are so close to being all gone :) No new acne allows my older scars time to heal; its no point to treat the scars first if I'm just getting breakouts every few days and getting newer, darker scars so I focused on the banana treatment which helped a lot with active acne. As soon as I noticed that I wasn't getting new acne, I stopped the banana treatment and only do the lemon treatment now. You can't even notice my acne scars if I only put a little power on! My brown skin is now a very pretty light brown color because I put it all over my face, not only the effected areas.

this is a for sure life saver! My skin didn't even respond to antibiotics or to big branded products so I'm so glad i found something that is really cheap and super effective. Ill post more of my progress soon.

by ShearGenous on 02/18/2015 10:36
Try Glycolic Acid 20% solution and follow manufacturer's direction, Tune Up is a good brand, don't spend over $20-25 per bottle
by Rose92 on 04/25/2015 19:25
please get in touch with me, I'd like to talk to you about your acne experience, what you do now etc. (my email is rrosee.asl@[link removed]). I would appreciate it.
Cheapest solution, must try
Reviewed on January 25, 2015

I have tried everything for my skin. Including labelled skin care products such as clearasil, Neutrogena, Aveeno and even sunblock. I have also tried honey, aloe vera, cinnamon and even cucumber, but NONE of them have worked. The skin Care products have only lead to me breaking out even worse due to them being too strong. I have even tried placing a warm/hot wet towel on my face daily twice a day, but that only dried out my face. Then I tried honey, which only made my face itchy, worked for 4 days, but then went back the same way. I tried cucumber but I broke out again after weeks of trying it. But recently my mum brought me a lemon. And when I first tried it, it did burn. But then after three days my pimples are almost completely gone along withy scars. Would reccomend 100% as I am seeing great results. My face has not been like this before thanks to lemon.

by Rose92 on 04/25/2015 19:28
Did the acne/face go redder after apply lemon for the first time? I just tried it for the first time held the lemon on my face for 15mins, it did burn but when i took the lemon off my face had gone even more red :/
Works great!
Reviewed on January 19, 2015

I started using lemon juice after reading online that it works well for scars. When I first started using it, it was a bit itchy at first, and my face burned, so I stopped using it. A little later, the scars got worse and so I gave lemon juice another chance, except diluting it with 2/3 water instead of 1/2 and adding more aloe to the mixture. The scars nearly disappeared in 3 days! I don't recommend using any other chemicals (a little bit of salicylic acid is fine, but benzoyl peroxide will burn) while using this, and make sure to stay out of the sun. Lotion is important as well because this will dry out your skin a little bit.

"Please Help! "
Reviewed on January 19, 2015

Im using pure Lemon juice.

In night before i go to bed, I wash my face with soap (kojic soap) then after I'll wipe with towel until it dry, then I start apply Lemon juice, squeezed lemon in bowl then produce juice and I apply with cotton Rub gently in my affected areas of scars, I leave it in night. then Morning thats the time I'll rinse with water... This is safe, or fast cure to scars? Please Help before if Im doing bad treatment.. Help!! :) thanks a Lot . sorry for my grammar. ^^

by mimitos on 01/20/2015 03:54
I agree with what you are doing. I did the same thing and noticed changes. :)
by Isagani on 01/21/2015 22:07
Really?
Works well for acne and hyper-pigmentation
Reviewed on January 13, 2015

Due to my cycle, my skin recently broke out. It looked like I had severe acne, which was particularly concentrated on my right cheek. I'm currently working in a country where I don't speak the language, so going to a pharmacy or a doctor was out of the question. I bought some lemons from the local grocer and decided to give them a try. Every night I applied lemon juice to my cheek with a cotton pad. Occasionally it would sting at first, but I found my skin didn't dry out or react badly to the lemon juice. I did not dilute it and personally I haven't found any problems. Immediately my pimples improved and recent marks faded rapidly. I found it was not as effective on older hyper-pigmentation but I really don't care. I have no more pimples and the scars that were there have significantly faded. This was over the course of 1-2 weeks. I have very sensitive skin and I suffer from psoriasis on my body and scalp (although I obviously don't suggest putting lemon juice on broken skin). But if you're worried if your skin is too sensitive, it's worth giving it a try (at least once). I highly suggest giving it a go, but just be very careful about going out in the sun!

by Isagani on 01/19/2015 04:11
Its really work for you?.. thats nice.. im using also pure lemon juice, to remove my bad pimple scars.. after washing my face with soap before go to bed i'll wipe my face with towel until dry and then i apply pure lemon juice, squeezed in bowl and then the juice I'll apply with cotton?.. thats correct? .. what should you do? please help thanks ;)
Works on scars/pigmentation
Reviewed on December 22, 2014

I have been using lemon for a while now and tested it on my skin for a very long time on and off. When you first apply it it can sting or irritate your skin but once your skins used to it it's fine. From my point of view I think it only works on scars and pigmented skin when I have used to on fresh acne spots it just really didn't do anything for me.

by Isagani on 01/19/2015 04:11
It's working!!
Reviewed on December 16, 2014

I have had acne for the past 2 years, I was told that it was hormonal, and it would go away with time and it did, but after my face started clearing up, about 2 months ago, I saw brownish, redish spots all over my face. I didn't like it cause it made it look like I had acne even though I diddnt. So I did some research and found that lemon juice can help with scarring.

I started using this about 3 days ago, an I can see a slight difference in my skin. I was sort of disappointed after using it the first few times cause it really stings when I put it on and it wasn't really showing and improvement. But I keptt at it and am noticing a difference now. Will continue using this...

by Isagani on 01/19/2015 04:10
Not quite sure
Reviewed on December 13, 2014

I used lemon topically to get rid of my acne hyperpigmentation for 1 and half month only and havent seen much of improvments.If you wanna use it topically give it 3 months and more.The reason i stopped using it topically is because i've found out it works better taken as drink.

Please DO NOT use lemon juice on your skin
Reviewed on December 9, 2014

Lemon juice has a pH of 2, for comparison, gastric acid (stomach acid) is 1. Skin is happiest at 4.7-5.5. Aside from the stinging, lemon juice will seriously dry skin out in addition to making it photosensitive. Don't use.