Lemon Juice (applied topically)

Overall rating: 4.4 / 5
(based on 804 reviews)

Recommended by 91% of visitors

Average price: $1.51

Most helpful review

By emmacallaghan5 on 01/25/2013
thumbnail

This stuff is pretty damn good. I mostly use it on recently popped pimples and red marks that are left. It made my stubborn red marks go away when I used it twice daily. I tried putting it all over my back for my bacne, and at first it did itch, but after a half hour it was fine. The next day my pimples were going away and the red marks fading. Haven't used it since because my skin is too dry for anything!.

Pros:
  • Makes skin radiant
  • Clears red/dark marks fast
  • Great for making stubborn pimples go away
  • Smells amazing
Cons:
  • Stings/itches at first when you put it on
  • Sticky
  • Makes skin lighter (not good if you're really white like me)

25 out of 25 people found this review helpful

Member reviews

“Lemon juice”
By on

I started suffering with acne a year ago I'm 24 and in highschool or as a teen I never really suffered from major acne . I have red marks on my cheeks and when I breakout it's on my chin which indicates that it is hormonal . I've tried everything you can imagine , from seeing a dermatologist , antibiotics , Epiduo which was $200 a tube , proactiv and drugstore over the counter products . NOTHING SEEMS YO WORK FOR ME. I decide today after researching to try lemons because it's a natural remedy , well as soon as I put it on an hour later my husband shockingly noticed a difference and told me and that's not like him because he believes everything is a myth or a scam . I'm so excited and will keep ur posted a week from now . :)

Pros

• It's cheap
  • My skin is a lot smoother
  • The smell is refreshing

Cons

[not submitted]
  • for a day or two
  • $ 1.5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Working!”
By on

I've been using lemon juice on my face 3 times everyday for the past 2 or 3 weeks and I've seen a difference! My dark marks are fading! When doing this treatment I find it helpful to not wash the lemon off after the third application ( which should be right before you go to bed.) If you want to try this I recommend taking pictures after each week to compare results. Good Luck!

Pros

• Fades dark marks
  • smells good

Cons

• Stings alittle
  • Sticky
  • You have to be patient to see results
  • for a few weeks
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Very happy”
By on

I am currently supposed to be on epiduo but it's only making my acne worse so I quit using it and decided to give lemon juice a try. I noticed that my skin was much smoother after one use. The redness went away and the bumps went down after the first use. If I stick with this it will probably clear my skin in a month.

Pros

• Works
  • Cheap

Cons

• Sticky skin
  • for a few weeks
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Perfect!”
By on

Tonight was my first time using lemon juice for my acne scars, and I must say I'm already impressed! I have very tricky skin (Combination & sensitive), so finding a product that won't irritate my skin can be pretty expensive; I'd have to buy many to find one that works for me. So I decided to try something cheap AND natural, and I'm almost positive lemon juice will do the trick. First, I exfoliated with Biorè Charcoal Deep Cleaning Exfoliant (also recommended, it made my skin feel SO amazing!). Afterwards, I applied the juice to my scars and left it sitting there for about twenty minutes or so. Finally, I took a washcloth and wiped off the dried juice with cool water. I did this about two hours ago, and I've already seen a difference with some of my scars! I can't wait to see what they'll look like in a few weeks! :)

Pros

• fast acting
  • inexpensive
  • completely natural

Cons

• it stings when first applied, but it isn't unbearable. this is normal. :)
  • $ 1
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Doesn't help”
By on

I have very grease acne prone skin and I used lemon juice over night it did not help at all.

Pros

• None

Cons

• Didn't get rid of acne
  • for a few weeks
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.

“You will be amazed, miracle!”
By on

A week ago my face was terrible because I tried to clean my face with hands, taking acnes, blackheads off.. I did some research and found something interesting. Lemon juice mixed with honey , olive oil and cinnamon. The guy who told me that said to let it 2 mins. Its so short time but if u let it longer it's hard to wash it off your face. You need to wash your face with lukewarm water before and after. You should put in the mixture at least 1tbs of each. I usually put 2tbs of lemon juice because I have oily skin. If you have dry skin put more honey. I use this every morning and before sleep. I'm amazed.. You will see the redness on your face will start to fade off. I couldn't believe how quickly it worked. For 1-2 weeks your face will be clean. You can use it everyday except if you notice someting unusual, which I don't believe. I was sceptical , but try it and you will see. You can't be in minus!

Pros

• Cheap
  • Cleans your face really fast
  • No chemicals

Cons

• Hard to wash off if you let it stay longer
  • for about a week
  • $ 2
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Amazing and Simple”
By on

My skin is very pale so you can see redness very easily. I came across an oatmeal mask recipe that had lemon juice and tomato juice as ingredients. While the mask was amazing, it did take a long time to make, so I figured I'd use the ingredients individually. The lemon juice fades redness really well and shrinks pimples also. It can be harsh, especially for sensitive skin, so you can try diluting it with water or use a smaller amount. What I do is I cut a slice off, and dab my finger to get the juice, then dab it where I need it. It does tend to sting a bit too, and I would use a moisturizer as well.

Pros

• Cheap and easy to find
  • Effective

Cons

• Harsh
  • for a few months
  • $ 1.5
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“It works!!!”
By on

I started struggling with acne at age 20, which was really difficult to deal with after having great skin prior. I would get the typical hormonal breakout and then pick at my face creating horrendous scars. When my husband and I were trying to conceive with my first child, I was put on a progesterone that made my face breakout worse than ever before. I started researching holistic methods of helping acne and came across lemon juice application. It has hands down changed the way I approach skin care. I was sold into pretty much every acne skin care line and prescription available, all of which didn't work and irritated my skin more. Now pregnant with my second child, I started breaking out terribly. I restarted my skin routine of applying a mixture of fresh lemon juice with two drops of honey and less than a week later my face was clear and fresh marks were fading. I choose to add the honey for its natural antibacterial qualities and it helps to moisturize my skin because the lemon is pretty harsh.

For those of you reading up on trying this out.. Do not be thrown off by the immediate burn and itching after application!! It goes away after a few minutes, I promise.

***I do use baking soda to exfoliate my skin every morning in the shower and sometimes at night too, if I had been wearing heavy makeup during the day. Exfoliating this much can make some peoples acne WORSE. In my case, my dermatologist recommended switching from a clean wash cloth with face cleanser to plain baking soda due to the amount of dead skin build up I was having. Exfoliating is key to helping acne and assists the lemon juice/honey mixture to get deep into your pores!

Pros

• Clears acne efficiently
  • Fades scars
  • Chemical free!

Cons

[not submitted]
  • for more than a year
  • $ 1.29
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Extremely effective when used properly!”
By on

This is where the saying a little goes a long way comes into play. Lemon juice has been the most beneficial method I've tried by FAR with my acne scarring, but you must use it with care. You do not need the whole or even half of the lemon for this routine! When I first started using lemon 2 years ago I made a big mistake by slapping too much of it on. This is extremely strong stuff, so we are only using a very small amount per use. Here's how I do it.

You will need:

A lemon

Saran wrap (for storing the lemon)

A Q-tip

Take your lemon and cut it in half. Now, take your Q-tip and just dip it into on of the lemons ridges. Don't be shy to get the end of the Q-tip fairly coated, this is where you can be generous with the amount of lemon you use. Now you can just dab the lemon onto all of your problem areas with ease.

The problem people make is they cover their whole face with lemon, when that's completely unnecessary. Not only are you going to be drying out your entire face, you are bleaching the whole thing too making the process of lightening your scars slower. You must also be sure that the marks you are treating are not ACTIVE. Active acne is not something you wanna put lemon on, at least from my experience. You should only be putting the lemon on the marks that are completely healed.

Tips:

I find exfoliating before doing this to be helpful.

Burning is to be expected, though the burning should be reduced since you are only applying it with the Q-tip.

The duration of time you leave this treatment on is up to you, personally I go to sleep with it on and find that works very well.

I use olive oil for any dry skin after this treatment, and it works wonders. It does not break me out in the slightest.

It's also important to note that I have very sensitive skin, and this routine does not cause redness nor break me out! Irritation during the lemon is normal if you are just starting to use it, but redness in your face will not last after you wash it off. My marks are about 60% gone after 2 months of using it about three times a week. Obviously this isn't going to be an absolute miracle worker but I'm very pleased with the results and as we all know it's a long and emotional journey to having clear skin! Good luck everyone!

Pros

• Fades marks pretty fast when used consistently, I wouldn't use this treatment every night as your skin is going to need a break, but I recommend leaving it on overnight 2-3 times a week. Just make sure to follow with a good moisturizer. (Again, olive oil guys, freaking miracles.)
  • Cheap and easy to find in the fridge when you're a broke teenager! One lemon should last you a pretty long time too, at least 2-3 weeks. If you are using it faster than that you are using way too much. Make sure your preserve your lemons and wrap em up!
  • Everything is natural! There's something about using natural products to help better my skin that makes me so happy! You don't have to worry about weird chemicals and questionable ingredients.

Cons

• Skin will become more sensitive to sun. MAKE SURE to wear sunscreen, though you should be wearing sunscreen everyday if you have red marks anyways! I recommend finding either a moisturizer or makeup you like with SPF, but most importantly using a sunscreen that is ultra sheer. This means no oily sunscreen skin! Neutrogena ultra sheer dry touch sunscreen in 40 is what I use and it's fabulous.
  • Skin irritation during use. This is completely normal and to be expected, but if it becomes unbearable wash it off and try using an even smaller amount next time. If it continues try taking a very very small amount of olive oil and mixing lemon into it, then dabbing it onto your marks. This shouldn't dry/irritate your skin.
  • This will irritate active pimples/cysts! This is why the Q-tip is so helpful, make sure to avoid putting lemon on anything active as you will piss it off!
  • for a few months
  • $ 1
  • I recommend using this product/treatment.

“Not good for sensitive skin”
By on

I have relatively sensitive skin ( its not super super sensitive) a lot of products make my skin worse because they are just too harsh. I tried applying lemon juice on my skin, it would burn and my skin would be really red but i stuck with it. By the way I only applied at night as lemon juice can have a bad reaction in the sun. My face was itchy and sore during the time i used it and i noticed little whiteheads appearing. I thought it might just be the bad stuff coming to the surface but i didn't go away. I stopped using it and my skin went back to normal. I suggest drinking it instead in warm water THAT does wonders! Also i suggest really looking into skin ph balance, i didn't balance my skin when using lemon juice ( lemon juice is really acidic and I just used it by itself) that might be why it didn't work for me ?

Pros

• Did make my skin seem a bit brighter/even

Cons

• Not for sensitive skin
  • stung/burnt
  • broke me out in little whiteheads
  • for a few weeks
  • $ 1
  • I do not recommend using this product/treatment.