Reviews
51%
Based on All Available Studies
Strength of Evidence
Topical Retinoid
Side Effects
Low-Medium
Acne.org’s Real World Take
Produces similar results to the two other topical retinoids, tretinoin and adapalene, which means only partial clearing, and comes with far more sensitivity and side effects when you first start using it. It probably won’t be a total game changer and don’t be surprised if it’s too much for your skin to take.
How to Get It
Have a dermatologist? Make an appointment to get this medication. Don't have a dermatologist? See The American Academy of Dermatology Physician Database to find one.
Read All About Tazarotene
9.2%

Used Tazarotene? Rate It:

Choose from 1 to 5 stars
October 11, 2006
I'm 21 years old - a few months ago, I finally cleared up acne that started about 2 years ago now. But overall, I've been dealing with mild acne since puberty. My face has not been this clear since I was probably 10 years old, and it's all thanks to my dermatologist, who gave me samples of Tazorac and Klaron Lotion, along with oral antibiotic and Yasmin birth control about. I've stopped using both the antibiotic and Yasmin for 4 months now, and have not had a flare up, only an occasional blemish (and now, they only happen one or two at a time). I use the Klaron Lotion in the morning, followed by oil-free moisturizer, and at night, I just use the Tazorac. I finally know what it's like to have clear skin. I have been using both products consistently since I got them 8 months ago.

1 user(s) found this helpful

October 7, 2006

Cons:

first week breakout.
greasy.

yeah. uhh so in the first week or so i broke out really bad. i didnt want to leave the house or go to school for that matter. but i have been using it for five weeks and it seems to be clearing me up pretty well. i got back to the dermmm the 27th! so yeah we well see. oh yeah umm i use clindamycin twice a day and tazorac at night. :]

1 user(s) found this helpful

October 7, 2006

Pros:

my skin is as smooth as a baby's bottom, the sun blotchy freckels I had have lightened up and naren't noticable. No more "deep" zits.

Cons:

I am peely a lot, skin is easily irritated by certain moisturizers and rough handling

I like it, it has reversed som sun damage and evened out my skin tone. I sometimes get a weird zit that is like an infeected blackhead, I am convinced it is my skin purging everything that was deepin the pores. That is why early use can appear to worsen acne.

2 user(s) found this helpful

October 5, 2006

Pros:

I have been on this product for about two weeks. My skin is a bit more sever but not much.

Cons:

I know that it is supposed to be worse at first but I am concerned that that fase will cause significant scarring for the future,

I am going to stick to this product for the whole 12 week therapy. Patience is a virtue and I have good hopes for it.
October 4, 2006

Pros:

Works very well, after a couple of months my face was totally clear and it stays that way with continued use.

Cons:

Sometimes burns if you use it too much. After a while it could give you dry skin.

This product works great! I was totally clear after two months and I've stayed that way with continual use. Acne still appears here and there every few days or so but mostly I'm 100% clear! If I use too much it gives me dry skin, but it's much better than the alternative!

2 user(s) found this helpful

Finding a Doctor

The right dermatologist can make a big difference to your patient experience and the success of your acne treatment plan. Here are the steps to find a dermatologist who is a good fit:

1. Use the search feature on the American Academy of Dermatology website to look for board-certified dermatologists in your area, and filter the search results for doctors with a special interest in treating acne.
  2. Read online patient reviews of any dermatologists you are considering and ask people you know whether they have any experience with these dermatologists.
  3. Do your research and go to your first appointment with questions prepared.
  4. Listen to what your gut feeling tells you once you see a dermatologist in person. If you are not completely comfortable, try a different dermatologist.

Finding a Doctor

Only a select few plastic surgeons specialize in acne scar revision surgery. Be certain to find a provider who specializes in acne scar repair and who is passionate and experienced in this area.

Be sure to:

• Look at before and after photos, the more the better, especially patients with similar scarring to your own.
  • Be realistic about results. Look for improvement, not a cure.

Questions to ask a potential scar revision specialist:

• Are you board certified? Be certain that they are board certified.
  • How long have you been performing these procedures? Normally, the more experience the better, however, some younger surgeons may be more on top of the latest procedures.
  • Can I speak to some of your other patients? Ask for references for several patients who had similar scarring and speak to them about the process and their satisfaction with results.

Red flags:

• Their story changes: As you discuss different treatment options, if they tend to change their mind easily, or agree with whatever you say, consider this a red flag. A confident, experienced surgeon will possess strong, unwavering opinions.
  • Your gut tells you "no": Trust your gut. If you just don't feel that the doctor is the right fit, trust that and move on. On the other hand, if you feel they are the perfect specialist for you, trust that feeling.