What Is It?
Skin Needling/Microneedling devices puncture the skin with needles in an attempt to stimulate more collagen and elastin production.
Good or Excellent Response
Strength of Evidence
32% of patients achieved a good (>50%) or excellent (>75%) improvement in scarring after 3 - 6 sessions
Strength of Evidence
77% of patients achieved at least a moderate (>25%) improvement in scarring after 3 - 6 sessions
- Sheraz, S., Gul, M. S. & Kamal, K. Efficacy of dermaroller vs trichloroacetic acid (TCA) CROSS technique for treatment of acne scars. PAFMJ 71, 895–98 (2021).
- Nandini, A. S., Sankey, S. M., Sowmya, C. S. & Sharath Kumar, B. C. Split-face comparative study of efficacy of platelet-rich plasma combined with microneedling versus microneedling alone in treatment of post-acne scars. J Cutan Aesthet Surg 14, 26–31 (2021).
- Gupta, M., Barman, K. D. & Sarkar, R. A comparative study of microneedling alone versus along with platelet-rich plasma in acne scars. J Cutan Aesthet Surg 14, 64–71 (2021).
- Ullah, I., Paracha, M., Zahoor, H. & Khan, D. Efficacy and safety of cross technique with 100% TCA and Dermaroller technique in the treatment of post acne scars. J Med Sci 28, 68–71 (2020).
- Sharma, S., Kaur, T. & Bassi, R. A split face comparative study to evaluate the efficacy of skin microneedling and platelet rich plasma (PRP) combination versus skin microneedling alone for treatment of post acne scars. Journal of Pakistan Association of Dermatologists 30, 449–455 (2020).
- Pooja, T., Gopal, K. V. T., Rao, T. N., Devi, B. G. & Kumar, S. A. A randomized study to evaluate the efficacy fractional CO2 laser, microneedling and platelet rich plasma in post-acne scarring. Indian Dermatol Online J 11, 349–354 (2020).
- Freiherr von Dalwig-Nolda, D. & Ablon, G. Safety and effectiveness of an automated microneedling device in improving acne scarring. The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology 13, 17–22 (2020).
- Elfar, N. N. & Hasby, E. A. Efficacy and safety of plasma gel as a new modality in treatment of atrophic acne scars. Int J Dermatol 59, 620–626 (2020).
- Alster, T. S. & Li, M. K. Y. Microneedling of scars: a large prospective study with long-term follow-up. Plast Reconstr Surg 145, 358–364 (2020).
- Saadawi, A. N., Esawy, A. M., Kandeel, A. H. & El-Sayed, W. Microneedling by dermapen and glycolic acid peel for the treatment of acne scars: comparative study. J Cosmet Dermatol 18, 107–114 (2019).
- Minh, P. P. T. et al. Microneedling therapy for atrophic acne scar: effectiveness and safety in Vietnamese patients. Open Access Maced J Med Sci 7, 293–297 (2019).
- Khalid, F. A. et al. Efficacy of micro-needling on post acne scars. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 31, 336–339 (2019).
- El-Domyati, M. et al. Amniotic fluid-derived mesenchymal stem cell products combined with microneedling for acne scars: a split-face clinical, histological, and histometric study. J Cosmet Dermatol (2019) doi:10.1111/jocd.13039.
- Biesman, B. S. et al. Atrophic facial acne scars with microneedling followed by polymethylmethacrylate-collagen gel dermal filler. Dermatol Surg 45, 1570–1579 (2019).
- Bandral, M. R. et al. Clinical evaluation of microneedling therapy in the management of facial scar: a prospective randomized study. J Maxillofac Oral Surg 18, 572–578 (2019).
- Ali, B., ElMahdy, N. & Elfar, N. N. Microneedling (Dermapen) and Jessner’s solution peeling in treatment of atrophic acne scars: a comparative randomized clinical study. J Cosmet Laser Ther 21, 357–363 (2019).
- Afra, T. P., Razmi T, M., Narang, T., Dogra, S. & Kumar, A. Topical tazarotene gel, 0.1%, as a novel treatment approach for atrophic postacne scars. JAMA Facial Plast Surg 21, 125–132 (2019).
- Varma, K., Bhargava, S. & Kumar, U. Microneedling for atrophic post-acne scars: Is it effective? A prospective study of 36 cases at a tertiary care centre. Hong Kong Journal of Dermatology and Venereology 26, 52–57 (2018).
- Sharma, G. & Jha, R. Microneedling vs. scars remodelling with 30% salicylic acid - a comparative study. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences 7, 4072–4076 (2018).
- Porwal, S., Chahar, Y. S. & Singh, P. K. A comparative study of combined Dermaroller and platelet-rich plasma versus Dermaroller alone in acne scars and assessment of quality of life before and after treatment. Indian Journal of Dermatology 63, 403 (2018).
- Moftah, N., Mohammad, E. K., Maha, R. & Heba, A. Carboxytherapy versus skin microneedling in treatment of atrophic postacne scars: a comparative clinical, histopathological, and histometrical study. Dermatologic Surgery 44, 1332–1341 (2018).
- Ibrahim, M. K., Ibrahim, S. M. & Salem, A. M. Skin microneedling plus platelet-rich plasma versus skin microneedling alone in the treatment of atrophic post acne scars: a split face comparative study. J Dermatolog Treat 29, 281–286 (2018).
- El-Domyati, M., Abdel-Wahab, H. & Hossam, A. Microneedling combined with platelet-rich plasma or trichloroacetic acid peeling for management of acne scarring: a split-face clinical and histologic comparison. J Cosmet Dermatol 17, 73–83 (2018).
- Al Qarqaz, F. & Al-Yousef, A. Skin microneedling for acne scars associated with pigmentation in patients with dark skin. J Cosmet Dermatol 17, 390–395 (2018).
- Yadav, D. C. K. et al. A comparative study of efficacy of micro-needling alone versus micro-needling with autologous platelet rich plasma in facial atrophic acne scars. International Multispecialty Journal of Health 3, 7 (2017).
- Rana, S., Mendiratta, V. & Chander, R. Efficacy of microneedling with 70% glycolic acid peel vs microneedling alone in treatment of atrophic acne scars-a randomized controlled trial. J Cosmet Dermatol 16, 454–459 (2017).
- Osman, M. A. R., Shokeir, H. A. & Fawzy, M. M. Fractional erbium-doped yttrium aluminum garnet laser versus microneedling in treatment of atrophic acne scars: a randomized split-face clinical study. Dermatol Surg 43 Suppl 1, S47–S56 (2017).
- Ibrahim, Z. A., El-Ashmawy, A. A. & Shora, O. A. Therapeutic effect of microneedling and autologous platelet-rich plasma in the treatment of atrophic scars: a randomized study. J Cosmet Dermatol 16, 388–399 (2017).
- Santana, C. N. L. e L., Pereira, D. do N., Vasconcellos, J. B. de, Lacerda, V. de C. & Vasconcelos, B. N. Microneedling in the treatment of atrophic acne scars: case series. Surgical & Cosmetic Dermatology 8, (2016).
- Puri, N. Comparative study of dermaroller therapy versus trichloroacetic acid CROSS for the treatment of atrophic acne scars. Journal of Pakistan Association of Dermatology 25, 114–118 (2016).
- Cachafeiro, T., Escobar, G., Maldonado, G., Cestari, T. & Corleta, O. Comparison of nonablative fractional erbium laser 1,340 nm and microneedling for the treatment of atrophic acne scars: a randomized clinical trial. Dermatol Surg 42, 232–241 (2016).
- Asif, M., Kanodia, S. & Singh, K. Combined autologous platelet-rich plasma with microneedling verses microneedling with distilled water in the treatment of atrophic acne scars: a concurrent split-face study. J Cosmet Dermatol 15, 434–443 (2016).
- NCT02643628. A pilot study to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of microneedling and Bellafill to treat facial acne scars. clinicaltrials.gov https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02643628 (2015).
- Hassan, R. Comparison of efficacy of micro needling for the treatment of acne scars in Asian skin with and without subcision. Journal of the Turkish Academy of Dermatology 9, (2015).
- El-Domyati, M. et al. Microneedling therapy for atrophic acne scars. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol 8, 36–42 (2015).
- Fabbrocini, G. et al. Percutaneous collagen induction: an effective and safe treatment for post-acne scarring in different skin phototypes. J Dermatolog Treat 25, 147–152 (2014).
- Dogra, S., Yadav, S. & Sarangal, R. Microneedling for acne scars in Asian skin type: an effective low cost treatment modality. J Cosmet Dermatol 13, 180–187 (2014).
- Alam, M. et al. Efficacy of a needling device for the treatment of acne scars: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Dermatol 150, 844–849 (2014).
- Lotfi, R., Moneib, H. & Yehia, H. Clinical and histopathological evaluation of percutaneous collagen induction (dermaroller) in the treatment of postacne scars. Journal of the Egyptian Women’s Dermatologic Society 10, 152–159 (2013).
- Sharad, J. Combination of microneedling and glycolic acid peels for the treatment of acne scars in dark skin. J Cosmet Dermatol 10, 317–323 (2011).
- Leheta, T., El Tawdy, A., Abdel Hay, R. & Farid, S. Percutaneous collagen induction versus full-concentration trichloroacetic acid in the treatment of atrophic acne scars. Dermatol Surg 37, 207–216 (2011).
- Majid, I. Microneedling therapy in atrophic facial scars: an objective assessment. J Cutan Aesthet Surg 2, 26–30 (2009).
- Fabbrocini, G., Fardella, N., Monfrecola, A., Proietti, I. & Innocenzi, D. Acne scarring treatment using skin needling. Clin Exp Dermatol 34, 874–879 (2009).
Medium-high side effects and adverse reactions