Stievamycin Tretinoin and Erythromycin Gel Reviews

Stievamycin Tretinoin and Erythromycin Gel

Vietnamese

I was prescribed this for my moderate comedones. I had been using it for 1 year in hopes of clearing my acne. I can see good result after 3 months in combination with other medicines. I thought its my micracle. But after that, lost its effect and my face now becomes more severe of comedones which cover my entire face when last time not as this severe. I think its just for short term solution since it contains antibiotic which is harmful to our skin and body. Im now applying differin which is making my face red and 1 month on it without improvement. I feel hopeless.

Short Term Solution

So basically i'm 19, i've had acne since I was 13. Was prescribed minocycline at age 17 by my doc for it, took that for 2 weeks, had the worst side effects of my life (still not fully recovered) so I stopped that. Then went on Accutane for about 6 days, decided to stop that after giving it some more serious thought and choosing to go with topicals. Was then prescribed stievamycin gel (mild). Let me tell you, this stuff worked wonders. My acne literally went away almost completely within a month. Initially, the side effect wer extremely dry skin wth reddish colour, and skin peeling. After a couple weeks this all seemed to go away. I used it for about 6 months, with virtually no acne the entire time, but after 6 months I seemed to develop a resistsance to it and it failed to work and I began breaking out again just as badly. After a while, it stopped stinging my skin, and it felt like it wasn;t working. I went up to the medium gel and it still had no effect. This is a good short term solution but after abut 6 months I was back to square one as my skin built up a resistance. I have been prescribed Benzaclin and will be starting that today. Stievamycin is a great starting point.

Can see results

easy to use can see results after a few months clears acne and acne scars increases skins sensitivity to sun About 3 years ago my acne decided to flare up, and I was stuck with acne all over my face! After going to the doctor, she started me out on stievamycin on a lower dose and gradually built me up to a higher dose. Lets just say it got worse before it got better. However after 3 months of dedicated use I saw a huge difference. Now 3 years later, I'm only left with scars. Sure, I get a pimple here and there but nothing like I did before. Unlike other reviewers, I had no adverse side effects. My skin was rarely irritated/dried out (my doctor was surprised by how tough my skin was). I really do recommend this product as a topical solution, it is super effective and doesn't require too much effort. The only disappointing aspect is if I forget to put it near my hair line, acne will definitely show up. I think i'll be using this for many years to come.

Effective..but a few doubts

Definitely saw results over the course of a few months Helped with hyperpigmentation Relatively easy to use Very strong and irritating smell Very drying causing burning and increases risk of sunburn Studies have shown that acne bacteria is becoming resistant to erythromycin I started getting moderate acne about a year and a half ago, mainly papules and pustules. I was completely devastated being especially because I'm in high school. I tried a few at home and over the counter treatments and for a while i used Clean and Clear's 5% Benzoyl Peroxide to no avail. I finally visited my family doctor who believed that antibiotics were most effective and started me on Stievamycin (Mild) with Tretinoin (topical retinoid) and Erythromycin (the antibiotic) after using Clindamycin (which was unsuccessful). It is a clear gel with a very strong alcoholic odour that stung my eyes when i put it on. I followed the instructions as usual but i also used an AHA toner at night to ease the severe scarring I had. I applied specifically on my cheeks where i had the acne. It definitely burned my skin a few times and made it very sensitive but i started seeing results around 5 months later. It is no miracle worker but it definitely helped stop larger acne lesions. I would get occasional breakouts consisting mostly of whiteheads and blackheads around my period but other than that my acne was relatively under control. My biggest mistake was definitely stopping using the medication because of the burning and dryness it gave my skin at that point because i completely ignored the fact that it is an antibiotic. My doctor didn't warn me to use it continuously. Studies have shown that acne is becoming more and more resistant to erythromycin and other antibiotics. My acne has returned over the course of two to three days but I am not sure whether the cause is resistance or other things that have been going on recently such as stress, poor diet and trying out new product (the least likely of the reasons listed). The retinol within the topical treatment was definitely beneficial to scarring and acne. I will test whether i have become resistant to erythromycin by seeing my doctor and going back on the treatment. When using this treatment be very careful when cleansing to not use anything overly drying. Overall it did significantly improve my acne for a period of time but my doubts are still at large.

Comments

Need to know how to use it properly for it to work

Clears acne Works fast Can feel it working Hardening affect Need to know how to properly use it or will dry out face For those who say this product is very drying, you're not using it properly. This medication is supposed to be used in a very small amount and ONLY on the zit itself. Not all over the face. I am very careful to only put the cream right on top of my pimples and it dries them out within about 2-3 days. I ot use this cream at night. I've used it for about 2-3 years now and I will probably use it forever.

Very Effective

Clears skin nicely Moderately paced process Use it before sleep Kind of expensive It gets worse before it gets better I had acne for as long as I can remember, I actually couldn't remember the last time I felt a smooth surface on my face. It got to the point where I wanted to ask my doctor what I could do to change this because I had already tried every cleanser, soap, natural remedy and diet change out there. I have combination skin (oily on t-zone and dry around mouth) so it was hard to find something suitable. My doctor recommended the regular (0.025%) Stievamycin gel and told me "It's going to get worse before it gets better" And he was right, because a week after I started applying it (every night before bed), my skin had been inflamed and it felt more painful to touch my face. After that short period of time, I noticed my skin getting clearer every day. It was a moderately paced process because I had been using it from mid-March to early-June, but now my pimples are so small and unnoticeable. All thats left now is scarring It did dry out my skin, but now that I don't get as many pimples, I use it every other night and use a moisturizer every other night. I know the pain of living with acne, therefore, I would highly reccomend this to anyone because it worked great for me!

Comments

None yet so far Horrible break out Oily Feeling quite discouraged right now and and a little jealous of the people who are having positive outcomes from this product. I was first put on the mild gel which didn't clear up my acne completely but I felt it kept it at bay.. When I was done my first tube and went to get more i found out they were no longer receiving it anymore.. Not sure why but I think it has to do with the French and English bull**** going on in Quebec right now. So I called a few places and one pharmacy had it but only the "regular gel" so I figured hey it would probably work better then the mild.. Well it's been about 2 weeks I've been using it and I've broken out horribly. Mostly around my jaw line and chin.. Very inflamed red and painful, they are like hard balls that are taking forever to heal. I know it gets worse before it gets better but this is just killing me.. Trying my best to stay positive and not give up but I can't even look at myself anymore. Even feeling more acne under the skin which sucks because that will be coming up soon and adding to my already horrible skin. Hoping this clears up soon.. Been over 10 years dealing with severe acne :( I'm pressing "recommend" because it seems to work for more people then not work.

Guest Lori
Guest Lori

Helps with acne Helps with blemishes Only use at night Easy to apply Quite drying Really sticks to your face Takes a while to see results This product has been working well for me so far! I love how you just use it at night time before going to sleep. I really see a difference in my acne. It does take a long time to start seeing results but i recommend to keep going with it! I noticed once i started using it no new acne was forming and i have yet to have a new once. I have been using this product for about 4months and my skin isnt completely clear of blemishes but i can definatly notice a difference! Overall happy with this!

Comments

Dried pimple out VERY quickly (within two days) Burns skin Increases chance hyperpigmentation (for sensitive skin) MAJORLY Dries out skin Bottom line: For those of you with fairly sensitive skin (like myself), STAY AWAY FROM THIS PRODUCT! Sure, it'll dry out your pimple, but it's left me with the most horrifying burn I've ever experienced from an acne product. I'm currently left with a hyperpigmented mark (the size of a quarter) that is not fading and isn't easily covered up (even with thick make-up). PLEASE use this product cautiously. I used it at night for two days and that's all it took to severely burn me.

Guest Jocelyn
Guest Jocelyn

It works FAST!! It's to expensive I have only used this twice and i have all ready seen results!!! I think this its actually going to work for me, i have dry skyn and my derm. Told me to wash my face twice a day with CETAPHIL it's and apply the gel (Stievamycin) at night and to wash it off In the morning.

Comments

- Helps dry out pimples - Cleared acne - Help fade acne scars - Can sting a little if you have an open cut on face - Can irritate skin - Takes a while to see results I had some ups and downs with this product, but eventually is cleared up my skin. I still have scars, but it do notice them fading away. Using this product requires a lot of patience. It took me a couple of months (almost a year) to finally see results!

Comments

Clears up acne Helps with scarring Only have to put on at night Lasts for about 3-4 months Dryness Takes about 5 months to see a difference Must use on a consistent basis in the beginning of treatment I really like this product, I just to have a couple pimples here and there but one day it all took a wrong turn. Thus, my doctor prescribed me this. Took about 5 months for me to see a big difference, but I am really happy with the results. I only get a pimple around my period..other than that I just have some scarring left. But, the product also helps with scarring and I definitely see a difference. Give this product a chance!

Guest Alyssa
Guest Alyssa

-No new acne since starting -Areas that have peeled already look amazing -Blackheads are visibly disappearing -Cheap price -More even skin tone -The smell burns the nose and eyes while applying it -Skin peels, but you can ex-foliate all of the dead skin away in the morning If you have health insurance, go for this product. It's worth a try, and I'm so happy with my results so far!

Guest C
Guest C

-work well some of the time to clear acne -extreme dryness -burning -flakiness -skin may adjust My whole life I had perfect skin then a few years ago BAM adult acne, oh joy. This product I got from my derm, it kicked in 2-3 weeks into using it, began to clear up everything really fast and, in spite of sideeffects, i was realy happy after a couple years of extreme frustration. Some whiteheads and pimples would return before/after period...then eventually, after about 7/8 months of using this product, it felt like it lost all it's power basically over night or over a few days- I was in total distraught, my acne came back worse than ever...emberrasing and gross. So I went back to my derm and he recommended Epiduo/Tactuo Gel, which is appearantly significantly better (have just started) and I'm very excited about it. Fingers crossed :)

Comments

- makes cysts less: inflamed, painful, and severe - no whiteheads/minor pimples - makes cysts and other pimples clear up very quickly - can go for several days to a week without any active pimples...skin is clear during these periods :) - fades scars over time - doesn't completely eradicate acne - takes a couple months to see full results - slight redness - slight dryness; nothing major, can be solved with moisturizer - can cause irritation if used around the eyes i have been using this for 3 months and have definitely seen an improvement in my moderate cystic acne. my cysts are less painful and inflamed, and they go away really quickly!! a cyst used to run it's course on my face for a full week but stieva clears them right up in 2-3 days. i also go through constant periods of several days to a week when i do not have ANY active pimples on my face!! this is a record for me because i tend to have at least 2-3 active pimples all of the time. even though stieva doesn't completely stop break outs from happening, the gaps between them when my skin is clear are awesome. it also helps to fade red marks, which i'm very happy about because i have a lot of these scars. it takes about a month or more to begin to see results and for your skin to get accustomed to it. there is some dryness/redness in the beginning, which does improve quickly. it does persist somewhat, but all you need to counteract it is a good moisturizer. overall, i am satisfied with stieva so far and will continue to use it. it is not a complete cure, but my skin looks the best it has in years thanks to stieva! i have tried minocycline, differin, and BP and stieva has given me better results than all of them combined. although it's not a total cure, the results i've gotten are worth it since there are no serious side effects. i have considered using Accutane or some type of birth control pill, but i am afraid of the side effects and the potential damage they may cause. i am sticking with stieva for now because i love that it only affects my face, not my entire body like a pill would! i recommend stieva for anyone with moderate acne, because you will see a great improvement. and for those with mild acne, it may be able to clear you right up! i recommend :) i give it 4 stars because 5 stars would have to be a miracle cure.

Guest livi
Guest livi

improved acne at first Made skin look more even toned Softer skin lightened scaring. after 8 months my skin has went from moderate-severe to moderate. I thought for almost a year my skin would be almost to completely cleared up seeing as the package says only 4-12 weeks. I still have large spots of acne. IN THE FIRST WEEK-TWO WEEKS YOU WILL SEE PEELING. DO NOT TRY TO COVERUP PEELING. IT WILL MAKE IT RED AND BURN. IT ONLY STINGS IF YOU: A.Put to much on one spot. B.Put it on a sunburn. C.Put the cream/gel on an open pimple. After 8 months I decided to not waste any more time so now I am on a much stronger ance cream.

Comments

-After using it for a long time, it works quickly especially on newly forming pimples -Burn isn't that bad (in my opinion), only hurts a bit if it's an open sore -Expensive if you don't have insurance -Acne will re-surface if you don't continue using this product -Takes a long time to work -Hardens the areas applied and will crack/ flake My doctor prescribed this for me and I've used this for a few months and ended up finishing the tube. I then stopped using it and my acne started to re-surface and was almost back to the way I started so I had my doctor prescribe me a re-fill. Recently, I went to the doctor's again and have now switched over to Clindoxyl Gel. Worth trying. Don't dis-continue use until fully re-covered I guess..

Comments

-Gets rid of pimples, deep cysts and blackheads -reduces oil on skin -burns a bit on any open pimples I was given stievamycin gel for my acne a few weeks ago and I can already see a definite improvement! I was scared at first because I heard it burns a lot, but I haven't found it too bad thus far. I now only use the gel where I get acne (chin and forehead) because I found it was drying out my cheeks. If you read the instructions, this product is recommended for use at night and is also supposed to be washed off in the morning! Any stiffness or dryness from the gel should only be temporary. I also use another light cream if I notice dry/flaky patches of skin.

Guest Simone
Guest Simone

minimizes scars reasonable price very drying can only be used at night Takes several months to see results Ive been using Stivamycin for over 7 years ,over the past 3 years ive used it on and off because my acne does not seem as active as it use to be when I was in high school. Now in my 20's I have very mild acne with one or two pimples that might come up during my period. The main reason why i like this product so much ,is that 2 years ago I started getting facial hair on one side of my that would leave scars after plucking out the hairs. I am black ,with a darker complexion (similar to Fantasia the singer) , and i was really trying to avoid using any bleaching cream to get rid of the scars. After getting lazer hair removal I used stevamycin to faded all my scars,it took abouth 8 weeks . I use this product around 4- 5 times a weeks,with the neutrogena blackhead scrub in the morning to get rid of the film on my face,then a facial lotion on my face .The other 2 nights i will use a very deep moistorizer such as or Palmers cocoa butter or Bio-Oil .This is due to the fact that i find my mouth area get dry because of the medication. Bottom line: Product is good for mild to moderate acne, but excellent at fading darks scars. Hope this review was helpful

Popular Topical