Notifications
Clear all

Are You Getting Enough Sulfur?

MemberMember
(@nolongeractive)

Posted : 12/07/2005 5:53 pm

http://www.thenutritionreporter.com/the_sulfur_solution.html

This post is about Sulfur in our diets. How it affects Acne. How little we actually get. And what you can do to make sure you get enough.

Well a few facts to start with. Sulfur is a major nutrient in our bodies, it is the 3rd most abundant mineral. Making up 1% of our entire body mass! Among hundreds of listed health benefits and essential functions our bodies require Sulfur for, the most notable for our topic of discussion is skin care. A Low-Sulfur diet can cause Acne.

Sulfur promotes healthy skin. Thats a proven fact. Its no wonder beauticians use it as an ingredient in Acne treatment cosmetics. And its no secret the importance of Sulfur in the body itself.

So why am I telling you this? One simple reason. 90% of our society does not even get a fraction of the amount of Sulfur in their diets that the human body requires. Thats a huge number. Therefore statistically speaking there's a 90% chance you're not getting enough either.

Is it a coincidence that around the same number of people experience Acne at some time in their lives?

Well I can't test 130 million people to that! So onto business. The reason you don't already know this about Sulfur, and quite likely why it's not packed into nutritional supplements or food guides; is because scientists agreed years ago that by eating enough meat and vegetables each day we reach our requirement for Sulfur intake.

Here's a fact that wasn't taken into consideration. Processing foods, cooking them, or preparing them through artificial means removes the volatile Sulfur chemicals contained in them. Its no wonder that as we eat more processed meats, cooked vegetables, processed milks, cheese, and fast foods galore we are losing the natural organic Sulfur compounds they contain. Thats why 90% of us don't eat enough.

So lets not be hasty. Eating raw meat and never cooking anything is no good solution to the problem. Besides there are so many compounds made from Sulfur such as MSM and Alpha-Lipoic acid, both of which examples are also linked with Acne treatment. At this point I would suggest doing some reading yourself, through Google or any other good search engine, and find out just how detrimental Low-Sulfur intake can be to the body. More specifically Acne.

If you're reading Acne.org posts then I would suspect you too have Acne problems. And anyone can figure out how to find good sources of Sulfur via the internet. Perhaps even buying Sulfur supplements from your local store that set you up for the day. So now my job is done and you know about the 3rd most essential mineral nutritionists forgot to mention. My personal experiences are written below however, should you want some ideas on Sulfur intake.

*Leon*

Before discovering this information on Sulfur I was suffering mostly comedonal acne in the T-Zone of my face and some mild neck and body acne.

I chanced across an article on an Acne website exploring the importance of good nutrition. They noted that even though people followed the nutrition standards for vitamins, minerals, and protein intake per day; they still suffered with some Acne. This should be unusual given the body's natural defense mechanisms for protecting against and healing Acne.

They offered an approach to the idea that contrary to what traditionally trained nutritionists may tell you, the fact that we process so much of our food severely restricts the amount of Sulfur that makes it into the body. Additionally, upon further review I found more links as to why Sulfur is so beneficial and essential in our diets. It regulates the normal production of hormones, which I don't need to mention are a key factor in the formation of Acne. It also thins and combines with toxins in the blood that would otherwise aggravate Acne.

Firmly convinced that this could finally help cure my Acne I looked for food sources rich in Sulfur that I could incorporate into my daily diet. I knew however that cooking or preparing these foods would reduce the available levels of Sulfur dramatically. So I considered supplements, easily attainable at the local supermarket, and one a day would be enough to get the Sulfur I needed. However, they are an artificial source and not quite as good as organic sources.

The most Sulfur rich food I found therefore was the humble onion.

"Eat raw onions?! Yuck!" Was the response of my brain. Well I couldn't exactly fry them in butter that would defeat the whole idea of eating them for their Sulfur content. Pickling them wasn't a great alternative either. Sulfur is so easy to displace even the vinegar would absorb it.

So one night before school, feeling utterly depressed and miserable about showing my lumpy face in public again I knew there wasn't much I had to lose. I knew spinach was a good source too, but not as good as onions. So the best way I found to eat raw onion was by chopping it into small swallowable squares and washing the fresh onion straight past my tongue with some sweet orange juice. I only needed to eat a little bit, less than a quarter.

By the next morning I was amazed. It hadn't just worked wonders for my face, but all over my body. So having a little more fresh onion before school was obviously no problem at all for me. The pimples there the previous night not only began to heal at greater speed, but the irritation of blocked comedones signified by redness around the bump was reduced dramatically too.

Sure eating fresh onion is not for everybody. After I realized Acne was a thing of the past for me it wasn't so hard to make sure we always had some stocked in the house. And I found other great sources to add to my diet. Such as fresh spinach in my salads or raw broccoli every once in a while, even putting fresh onion on my sandwiches or salads. There are plenty of organically Sulfur rich foods its easy to eat. And even for those who can't stand fresh foods, you can always get nice and simple Sulfur supplements from your local store.

For me I never miss a day without making sure I get enough Sulfur. These days Cereals and all sorts of foods are packed with Vitamins A to E and Zinc, Calcium, Selenium, Copper; the list is endless. But unfortunately Sulfur was left out of our standard nutritional guide, because they thought we would eat enough. 90% of our population is living proof that we don't get enough. Thats why I wrote this post.

Knowing I have confidence enough to do whatever I like to my skin and never get horrible Acne anywhere is enough to make me happy. Well worth the little effort it takes. If the people who visit this site can leave with that same kind of feeling then I know my reading will benefit others too. http://www.thenutritionreporter.com/the_sulfur_solution.html

MemberMember
(@soundtrack2mylife)

Posted : 12/07/2005 7:09 pm

wow, what a post, I actually read the whole thing, word for word, it was very interesting. Anybody could easily throw in sulfur rich foods, and being that some of these foods are onion, broccoli and spinach, it makes sense that people aren't getting enough of them. Me personally, I like broccoli raw as well as cooked, just as long as I have a veggie dip. And I rarely eat onions, but I would def try it, more reason to brush my teeth more often also. What about garlic, I heard garlic was good. Anyway, nice post.

MemberMember
(@r-s)

Posted : 12/07/2005 7:12 pm

i'll try putting a lot of sliced onions in an omelette tommorrow and see how it goes.

MemberMember
(@lifenacne)

Posted : 12/07/2005 7:47 pm

lets keep the post up , i will try this starting today and see how it goes , i will keep you guys updated....

MemberMember
(@nolongeractive)

Posted : 12/07/2005 7:53 pm

Yeah garlic was another Sulfur rich food listed online. There are plenty of foods to chose from. I try to get them raw because Sulfur is so volatile. Any heat you apply will evaporate some of it off. If you want to just see how adding Sulfur to your diet can work, you can test the Sulfur supplements. If your body has enough it can make the organic compounds like MSM and Alpha-Lipoic Acid.

I apologise that the post was so long. There was a lot to say on the subject. LoL

Thanks for reading it all though. Glad I could help.

I'll add some links to the resources I checked. You can find listed foods there. If you're only going to cook the foods anyway, or not get the fresh ones listed, I would definately suggest the supplements. At least then you know you're getting a good daily supply without chugging fresh onion. LoL

http://www.chiff.com/vitamins/sulfur.htm

* This is just one site great for resources and information. The "Canary's-Eye View" gives some great sources of natural Sulfur.

But remember that cooking them will reduce the amounts of Sulfur. Stir-Frying or steaming may be better than boiling as it won't be dissolved in the water. The foods listed must be fresh. If you eat battered onion-rings or processed fish and plastic packed meats, then the Sulfur will have been depleted from those sources.

http://www.roex.com/msm.htm

*Don't be fooled into buying it if you can just get normal Sulfur at the supermarket, or in your food.

*This page is just about MSM, which is a compund containing Sulfur, known as organic Sulfur. MSM is listed as the 4th most prominent compound for health. Characterized as the "Beauty Mineral" the page explains. This is just one of the important compounds made from Sulfur.

MemberMember
(@rush006007)

Posted : 12/07/2005 9:20 pm

This sounds neat. I will have to drop by Whole Foods after work tomorrow and grab some supplements. Shoot, maybe some raw onions too, who cares. Is it possible to overdose on sulfur? I am not talking about popping a bunch of pills or anything obviously dumb..

Blessings

MemberMember
(@nolongeractive)

Posted : 12/07/2005 9:30 pm

From what I've read there's nothing to suggest a high dosage of Sulfur will do you any harm. Obviously if you chug a gallon of any supplement, even Vitamin C, it would be bad for you. LoL

I'll be doing lots of research into other dietary affects on Acne. I know from experience that a cup of green tea every day has worked great too, and research suggests Antioxidants are the cause for that.

Oh. I also found out something new and pretty interesting about Sulfur. The more sugar we eat the more Sulfur we need, because the body needs it to properly absorb sugar. Its used in how we make insulin. Anyway, its obvious we eat tonnes of sugar in this modern age, and possibly the cause for increased diabetes is this huge 90% deficiency in Sulfur. There are some tedious links too that excess unabsorbed sugar in the bloodstream could further aggravate Acne. Sulfur aids in its absorbtion.

There are many treatments on offer that even professionals use, alongside laser light treatment etc, with topical applications of Sulfur. Some reported quite high percentages of pimples visibly shrinking. Is it not viable to assume that topical Sulfur creams/washes would work well by directly supplying Sulfur to the skin? I know Sulfur has been used for centuries, even by the ancient Greeks, to treat wounds. We now know Sulfur is anti-bacterial too. Perhaps I'll give it a try.

*Leon* (Eating Onion as we speak) LoL

MemberMember
(@bfguitar)

Posted : 12/07/2005 10:08 pm

Dont eggs contain sulfur?

MemberMember
(@lifenacne)

Posted : 12/07/2005 10:19 pm

I donno if they contain sulphur or not but , i read somewhere that eggs can cause acne , it was some chinese site or something , and from my experience i always get pimples when i eat egg.

Talkin about this regimen , i already started it , just a question Leon , how many onions a day? i read your message around 8pm my place so i ate only one , but i would like to know how many in a day ? what sCUks about onions , the smell remains a long time....

MemberMember
(@wasting_days_away)

Posted : 12/07/2005 10:50 pm

what kind of food contain sulfur?

i hate onions, i've hated them since i was a kid, i NEVER eat anything with onions and my mom usually knows to prepare food without them or else i won't eat it. haha maybe that's why i have acne. lol.

MemberMember
(@r-s)

Posted : 12/07/2005 10:54 pm

i just ate a clove of garlic... we'll see what happens in the morning besides me being smelly.

MemberMember
(@wasting_days_away)

Posted : 12/07/2005 11:05 pm

i just ate a clove of garlic... we'll see what happens in the morning besides me being smelly.

hahaha

MemberMember
(@soundtrack2mylife)

Posted : 12/07/2005 11:07 pm

eggs do contain sulfur.. eat those shits raw lol

MemberMember
(@whitershadeofpale)

Posted : 12/07/2005 11:12 pm

I've been drinking epsom salt for a week, and I have cleared up completely!! I figured it was the sulfur!

I have really bad diahrrea from drinking epsom salt, but I know that is just because my system is being cleared out!

I only have 1 active zit, and the rest are scars. I am also using AHAVA dead sea products, and they are helping clear up my previous scars.

snow...

MemberMember
(@searchingforthesolution)

Posted : 12/07/2005 11:49 pm

Interesting topic, and one I would like to look into more.

Zinc is another nutrient that can be lacking in our diets. Effects of depletion include acne, as well as impaired sense of smell and taste and delayed wound healing.

The above information is from a pamphlet relating to nutrient depletion. Oddly, sulfur is not amongst the most common depleted nutrients on the list. What do you think Leon?

Dont eggs contain sulfur?

MemberMember
(@bfguitar)

Posted : 12/08/2005 12:24 pm

what kind of onion are you talking about? White onion or red onion? It red oinion contains sulpher than i can eat them no problem raw. But if it white onion than there maybe some problems lol

MemberMember
(@nolongeractive)

Posted : 12/08/2005 8:03 pm

Back again. Researching more on vital nutrients. I looked up about eating raw onions, garlic, spinach, and other foods. Realistically its not the nicest treatment. So I'm going to try Sulfur supplements in pill form each morning. Apparently the body can synthesize the organic compounds if you have enough Sulfur in your diet.

searchingforthesolution mentioned some pretty good stuff too. Yes Zinc is another major depleted nutrient in our diets. I eat "Total" Cereal in the mornings for the 100% of everything it has including Zinc and many others. Check some nutrition lists in your supermarket. Unfortunately the pill forms of Multi-Vitamins give you too large a dose at once, and your body just passes it out in the urine. Some believe these pills can also do damage to the body, but that's unconfirmed.

Zinc - coupled with Vitamin C is vital for immune system functions. So yes it's no wonder a deficiency in Zinc would promote Acne.

Basically there are plenty of nutrients we lack due to high processing of foods. For me the easiest solution was to eat vitamin and mineral rich cereal each morning. "Total" was one of the highest packed brands I found, but most list at least 11 major vitamins and minerals on the box.

The reason I eat Sulfur too, is simply because it has been ignored on these nutritional lists, so we still don't get enough. Eggs are a good source of Sulfur, but unfortunately people can be allergic to the other ingredients in them, much the same as milk and dairy produce. It doesn't mean lactose specifically.

Here is a great link for some reading on Sulfur and its importance:

http://www.thenutritionreporter.com/the_sulfur_solution.html

Flavanoid

I mentioned in a previous post how I noticed good results after drinking green tea. I started after trying it at a Japanese restaurant and seeing visible results afterward in my complexion. Upon further research the high levels of Flavanoids has been linked to healthy skin among other benefits. They sooth irritation, promote immune system response, kill bacteria directly, and strengthen skin cells. They also interact with Vitamins C & E to give increased advantages.

We know fresh orange juice is good for your skin too. It does have Vitamin C but it also contains 36 mg of Flavanoid in the average cup. Green Tea has 130 mg in the same size serving.

So to finalize I would suggest Sulfur supplements. Raw garlic and onion doesn't taste too great, and the smell leaves much to be desired. We know a pill dosage is not toxic where Sulfur is concerned, and it's a much easier solution to Sulfur deficiency.

MemberMember
(@nolongeractive)

Posted : 12/08/2005 8:21 pm

searchingforthesolution, you asked me to add some links on Sulfur I found. There are a few listed here for you to read if you like.

*Leon*

http://www.thenutritionreporter.com/the_sulfur_solution.html ( Important read, very good )

http://www.saltinstitute.org/publications/stm/STM-8.html

http://1stholistic.com/Beauty/beauty_diet_minerals.htm ( Great alphabetical list of minerals )

http://www.healthy.net/scr/article.asp?ID=2066

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/Sulfurcs.html#Uses

( Go to "Uses" and note that folliculitis is another way to describe Acne )

There are also a couple of good sites I copied into a previous post. You can scan those for some really good info.

http://www.chemicalbalance.com/sulfur.htm

http://www.loudzen.com/canary/challenges/f...ulfurfoods.html

http://yalenewhavenhealth.org/library/heal...hwid=hn-2914003

MemberMember
(@kt)

Posted : 12/08/2005 11:39 pm

I can't stand raw onion, unfortunately. Why can't you just take sulfur supplements - is there a reason why not?

Somewhere else on this board someone was talking about MSM being helpful for skin. Is that the same thing?

MemberMember
(@lifenacne)

Posted : 12/08/2005 11:47 pm

i have been taking MSM for some time now , like 3 months , i havent seen any improvments , well i donno i am taking some other vitamins soo i am not sure if its really working..

MemberMember
(@dreame123)

Posted : 12/09/2005 10:57 am

I've been drinking epsom salt for a week, and I have cleared up completely!! I figured it was the sulfur!

I have really bad diahrrea from drinking epsom salt, but I know that is just because my system is being cleared out!

I only have 1 active zit, and the rest are scars. I am also using AHAVA dead sea products, and they are helping clear up my previous scars.

snow...

Where do you buy Epson or Epsom Salt? Is it the same stuff that they put in bath salts?

How much did you drink and how many times a day?

Also what kind of acne did you have?

Thanks a bunch :D

MemberMember
(@whitershadeofpale)

Posted : 12/09/2005 3:56 pm

snow...

Where do you buy Epson or Epsom Salt? Is it the same stuff that they put in bath salts?

How much did you drink and how many times a day?

Also what kind of acne did you have?

Thanks a bunch :D

I bought Epsom salt at Ray's market. It was the Western Family Brand. It was pretty cheap for a big bag.

I drank 3 teaspoons a day, that is what they reccomend on the back of the package. It tastes HORRID, so I added a little bit of squeezed grapefruit juice to it.

My acne was very severe. I would usually wake up with about 5 new zits per day. I am getting about 1 zit a day know. You aren't supposed to take it everyday. I only drank it for 4 days in a row.

snow...

MemberMember
(@nolongeractive)

Posted : 12/09/2005 8:37 pm

Epsom salt may be a good mineral to read up on. Amid the Falling snow... noticed amazing results, and it does contain Sulfur like you said. Acne is often the result of a PH imbalance on the surface of the skin which gives Bacteria the ideal conditions in which to infect hair follicles. Salt neutralizes acid chemically, so perhaps this also improves skin condition by eliminating the conditions Acne needs to develop. You would also be getting plenty of organic Sulfur through drinking Epsom salt. Thanks for sharing that I will have to try some.

I bought some Glucosamine and MSM supplements from the store yesterday. There is a notable difference taking them, without the need to eat raw vegetables any more.

KT you asked if MSM was the same thing, yes. Its one of the many organic Sulfur compounds the body needs, Glucosamine is another. Taking the two combined, in regular doses as specified on the container, gives the body enough organic Sulfur to synthesize the rest. Beats eating raw onions for me. You can find them in the same capsules at your local supermarket.

MSM plus Glucosamine is listed under bone health because it is vital for the production of Collagen. If you recognize that name its because many skincare products state its importance on regular TV commercials. Collagen is a core material of the skin. I listed the effects of supplementing these organic Sulfurs into the diet in an earlier post.

I would definately recommend drinking Green Tea too. From my own experience its especially effective in the case of comedonal Acne, and there are masses of clinical research trials done with Flavanoids. Green Tea is highly saturated with these compounds, and I agree with the research that it improves Acne symptoms a great deal.

*Leon* (No more onions unless they're fried. MSM + Glucosamine capsules are the best option)

MemberMember
(@veen)

Posted : 01/02/2006 4:27 pm

Very interesting topic!!

So you're going for the MSM and glucosamine... a month has passed, can you tell something about its effect?

In the netherlands people like to eat raw herring with raw onions :D

BTW kefir has a lot of sulphur too! but I dont like it

MemberMember
(@elfgirl)

Posted : 01/05/2006 7:30 pm

yes, please tell us about the msm and glucosmine. ran on to this thread last nite and didn't have any trouble cutting the onion up small and swallowing them chased by oj. today I put them in my tuna salad and had no problem with that, but if the real stuff is better at clearing and preventing acne then the pills, then I think I can find ways to get around the taste and smell. Please do update for us and let us know how this is working for you. Thanks