Notifications
Clear all

Does oatmeal cause skin allergy?

MemberMember
(@a529612)

Posted : 11/30/2005 1:10 pm

I added Quaker's fast cooking oatmeal recently to my diet. My face seems to get worse. It gets red, blotchy and irritated. I'm not sure if it's from the new BP gel regimen or oatmeal as I started both at about the same time. Does anyone know if eating oatmeal can make skin more prone to allergy?

MemberMember
(@shadowfade)

Posted : 12/01/2005 3:05 am

I've been eating about 2-3 cups of oatmeal a day for the past few weeks and my skin isn't any worse..

MemberMember
(@collegegirl)

Posted : 12/01/2005 3:20 am

I would go ahead and say that it's from the BP since you just started it. Skin takes a while to get used to BP and has different side effects in different people.

MemberMember
(@fiction)

Posted : 12/03/2005 4:54 pm

I was only eating oatmeal for a while and I felt like my face was getting worse as well. Most everyone will tell you that oatmeal is the breakfast of champions but though it is not common, some people do in fact have a sensitivity to oats- which are grains. I have a question for you, this sounds silly but, do you cook your oatmeal in the microwave or stovetop and with what do you eat it with ( as in milk, sugars, whatever)?

MemberMember
(@lily_89)

Posted : 12/03/2005 5:09 pm

well, honestly i don't think it has anything to do with the oatmeal, but then again who knows....i have been eating oatmeal everyday for like two and half weeks now and my face hasn't gotten any clearer, nor worse than it was before eating the oatmeal every day, i heard it was really good for acne, but to this day a cannot vouch for that yet...and as far as how i eat it, well first, i boil milk on the tove top then i add the oatmeal and add less than one teaspoon of sugar and a little of cinnamon powder ( for flavor, it's not necessary) and that's it

well, honestly i don't think it has anything to do with the oatmeal, but then again who knows....i have been eating oatmeal everyday for like two and half weeks now and my face hasn't gotten any clearer, nor worse than it was before eating the oatmeal every day, i heard it was really good for acne, but to this day a cannot vouch for that yet...and as far as how i eat it, well first, i boil milk on the tove top then i add the oatmeal and add less than one teaspoon of sugar and a little of cinnamon powder ( for flavor, it's not necessary) and that's it :)

sorry for double posting....

MemberMember
(@threedaysgrace)

Posted : 03/26/2014 3:22 am

I know this is old but instant oatmeal or rolled oats give me bad acne. I beliees it is due to high gi. You hold try steel cut oats or pinhead / coarse oatmeal. In the uk its quite difficult to find I think holland and barett do it though Anyway the fibre i believe the fibre reduces the overall gi.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/26/2014 1:23 pm

You have to figure it out for yourself by stopping one or the other, but I would bet its the drying, aging, oxidizing chemical you are applying to your face that's causing the irritation.