Notifications
Clear all

Can anyone explain the reformulation of Bellafill?

MemberMember
(@dk0500)

Posted : 07/18/2019 4:39 am

I came across something called Bellafill a few months ago. I didnt bother researching it after I heard about the stories of PMMAs migrating over the years or forming a granuloma. The story about how the company went bankrupt and the name was rebranded made it even more sketchy.

I recently read that Bellafill is different from Artefill because they changed the formulation and the size of the PMMA particles. Apparently, the reformulation made the PMMA particles to notmigrate. Is this actually true? If this is true, lets say someone got bellafill for their scars. 20 years later, would people be able to visually see these PMMA particles if they didnt migrate?

Whats the actual percentage of people forming granuloma? They sayits less than 1% but I heard rumors about this not being true.

If you pass the allergy test andyoure given Bellafill by someone like Weiner or Novick (although Novick doesnt do Bellafill), would you say that chances of developing these side effects are much lower?

Apparently, theres something called Artecoll in Europe which is a more advanced version of Bellafill?

Im gonna try subcision with HA fillers first but I want to know if Bellafill can be an option as my last resort.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 07/18/2019 5:42 pm

@dk0500I still do not trust the formula, regardless of what supposed "improvement" or new permanent filler they make... Artecoll isbanned in many countries for safety reasons. Permanent filler equals permanent problems. It's heavily used not in the Middle East, they come to the USA to have it removed when they have complications. Yes I know you will tell me the FDA approved it. The FDA approved it initially for a much different purpose, the company was bankrupt and sold. The only reformulation is a smaller fiberglass bead. It still migrates post 7+ years. This is why the case studies never found anything. Read on Real Self, this is when the problems started to hit for users of Artefill. Other complications are grandulomas reaction, biofilms growing on the beads(perfect surface). Infection prone areas there. As you age it does not age well, ... perhaps your atrophy is under the pit, ... but that shifts or moves. They have even found the beads in other places in the body.

They cannot make the product to"not migrate," this is marketing by Suneva the company who makes it. Think about it. Any filler can migrate.

You cannot reverse it, it must be cut out or steroids wich can cause additional atrophy are used.

I cover all this in the filling mega-post linked iin the main FAQ in the scar treatments sub.

If you have major fat atorphy they have to use a lot, hence you are more prone to issues than someone else.

The truth is Dr's do not have to take responsibility with a permanent filler as it's in you for life, ... what is to say it's the filler they will say and not some other factor yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars down the line. Plastic surgeon's don't even like the product as it's like chasing tiny glass beads.

If your intent in getting it do HA filler several times, ... nothing worse than not liking something permanent right. Know that you like the look. Goto someone extremely proficient in it's usage. You don't want someone who only uses it occasionally. Have it done in micro amounts?That is another thing people don't understand. Once you use it you're looking at well over 12 - 15K$ in filler because it's so expensive if you have major atrophy. IT's expensive. Might as well get cheaper HA or a bio stimulating filler like Sculptra or Radiesse.

We don't use filler for permanence, ... I get this all the time. We are not filling you for volume but as a spacer between your subcision and re-tethering. The hope is you heal well and provide your own new collagen. Volume deficiency can also be treated with Sculptra or radiesse. Be aware I predict in 10 years HA filler's will last longer (5 to 10 years) and be reversible.

MemberMember
(@dazzed)

Posted : 07/18/2019 9:29 pm

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about fillers since I've had pretty much all the ones on the market. The very first version of PMMA was called Artecoll. It caused way too many complications including granulomas. The second generation was called Artefill and they reformulated this version so that the microspheres were smooth as opposed to rough and jagged, which seemed to induce inflammation and granuloma formation.

BUT here is the important point. Bellafill is NOT a reformulated version. It is EXACTLY THE SAME as Artefill and simply rebranded as Bellafill because they wanted the public to forget about the long history of complications with this filler. And no matter what the doctors say, it is PERMANENT. I've seen many doctors on Realself claim that it lasts 5 years. The truth is that the studies were terminated at 5 years, hence legally they can only claim that it lasts 5 years, when the reality is that it lasts forever in the skin and will never be metabolized by the body.

If you get it, you should only use it on the worse and deepest scars. Try to limit it's use and don't just have it injected everywhere. And like BA said, if you need that much volume there is always fat and Sculptra. With Sculptra, many have reported that it lasts for years. I don't think getting it topped off every few years is that big of a idea vs the uncertainty of something permanent.