Notifications
Clear all

Feeling so down... Accutane help

MemberMember
(@andreican)

Posted : 04/22/2019 6:45 pm

Short and sweet

Male mid 20s, I've been taking accutane (epuris) between 40-60mg once a day for 3 months now. My life is moving around alot lately, new school far from home/gf, new people, alot of stress and anticipations.

Anyway, for the past 2 weeks I've been crying big heavy tears, every single day. My gf calls me I start tearing up. I think of home Itear up. I've never cried so much in my entire life and for so long. It's almost been 3 weeks of sadness and crying. I've been feeling very low. My appetite is ok, my sleep is tolerable not ideal. 5-7h a night.

I heard accutane could lead or increase moodiness and depression. What do you guys think? What do you guys think I should do? Is it related?

Any help would help..

Thank you so much

MemberMember
(@andreican)

Posted : 04/23/2019 5:32 am

Anyone?

MemberMember
(@ididthistomyself)

Posted : 04/25/2019 4:18 pm

Hey buddy,

2nd course accutane patient here. I can tell you with absolute certainty that accutane will effect your mood. ABSOLUTELY.

I have experienced this during both of my accutane courses and believe me when I tell you that it will subside very shortly (couple weeks) after your course is finished. Even low dose accutane effects mood. Unfortunately for you, you have other things going on in your life at the same time that is not helping the situation at all. I experienced this as well during my course ( I had life issues and a LOT of stressful situations occurring at the time). You HAVE to power through this course my friend. Trust me, your emotional and mental state will feel like it used to after your course. Im guessing you only have 3 more months to go...

Hope this helps at all, it is just my experience with accutane. Awful but wonderful drug.

MemberMember
(@andreican)

Posted : 04/25/2019 6:43 pm

2 hours ago, IDidThisToMyself:( said:

Hey buddy,

2nd course accutane patient here. I can tell you with absolute certainty that accutane will effect your mood. ABSOLUTELY.

I have experienced this during both of my accutane courses and believe me when I tell you that it will subside very shortly (couple weeks) after your course is finished. Even low dose accutane effects mood. Unfortunately for you, you have other things going on in your life at the same time that is not helping the situation at all. I experienced this as well during my course ( I had life issues and a LOT of stressful situations occurring at the time). You HAVE to power through this course my friend. Trust me, your emotional and mental state will feel like it used to after your course. Im guessing you only have 3 more months to go...

Hope this helps at all, it is just my experience with accutane. Awful but wonderful drug.

Thanks for your answer feels really good to know I am not alone.

My derm and I decided to stop it for a month see if my mood gets better. Worst case scenario I finish myacademy herein 3 months all the stress will begone and I can restart my treatment right when I finish! What do you think.

I'm scared I did 3 months for nothing but I can't take it anymore feeling like this.. For now, too much stress, little sleep, alot of things in the family etc

Dubya_B liked
MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 04/25/2019 10:32 pm

Did the accutane help your "acne" problem ?

MemberMember
(@andreican)

Posted : 04/27/2019 9:50 pm

On 4/25/2019 at 11:32 PM, Aussie Scientist said:

Did the accutane help your "acne" problem ?

After 3 months not really so far no. I heard the results can show later

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 04/28/2019 6:30 pm

In that case, you probably have candida or malasezzia, which are both fungi. Candida and malasezzia cause acne-like skin problems (pimples, cysts, redness etc). Do you have a white tongue ? Do you have dandruff ? Have you taken antibiotics recently ? If you get back to me with answers to these questions, I can provide information that will most likely control what looks like acne, but is not.

MemberMember
(@andreican)

Posted : 04/29/2019 7:04 pm

On 4/28/2019 at 7:30 PM, Aussie Scientist said:

In that case, you probably have candida or malasezzia, which are both fungi. Candida and malasezzia cause acne-like skin problems (pimples, cysts, redness etc). Do you have a white tongue ? Do you have dandruff ? Have you taken antibiotics recently ? If you get back to me with answers to these questions, I can provide information that will most likely control what looks like acne, but is not.

No white tongue no... Dandruffs hum I would say abit yes but nothing crazy. Hair loss, alot of itchiness in the hair, beard, mustache, can't shave, I have too many red platches, pimples, etc.

While I was on accutane, 95% of all my beard/hair acne left (my derm said itwas normal but shouldn't be a lasting cure like it is on face acne. Anyway, it didn't do much as far as face acne goes. I'm living alot alot alot of stress lately, surely not helping. 5h nights also, different diet /water intake.

I heard accutane can show results only in the last moments of treatments? Since I only took half of my treatment it would be normal to still have pimplesno?

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 04/29/2019 7:23 pm

I am not an expert on accutane. However, I do know a lot about skin fungal conditions caused by malasezzia and/or candida.

Itchiness, red patches, pimples etc are strongly indicative of candida or malasezzia, rather than ordinary acne (because ordinary acne is not itchy, whereas fungal conditions are).

I suggest you buy some clotrimazole antifungal cream (should be available over the counter) and apply it to the affected areas. You should also buy clotrimazole lotion which you can put on your beard area. You could also wash your beard in an antifungal shampoo.

If the clotrimazole cream/lotion and antifungal shampoo don't control your condition then get back to me and I will provided information on more targeted antifungals for your condition.

I would only take accutane if trying topical antifungals don't work if you have an itchy condition with some dandruff (because itchiness and dandruff indicate you have malasezzia NOT ordinary acne).

Have you taken antibiotics ? Antibiotics CAUSE outbreaks of malasezzia and candida.

MemberMember
(@andreican)

Posted : 04/29/2019 7:58 pm

32 minutes ago, Aussie Scientist said:

I am not an expert on accutane. However, I do know a lot about skin fungal conditions caused by malasezzia and/or candida.

Itchiness, red patches, pimples etc are strongly indicative of candida or malasezzia, rather than ordinary acne (because ordinary acne is not itchy, whereas fungal conditions are).

I suggest you buy some clotrimazole antifungal cream (should be available over the counter) and apply it to the affected areas. You should also buy clotrimazole lotion which you can put on your beard area. You could also wash your beard in an antifungal shampoo.

If the clotrimazole cream/lotion and antifungal shampoo don't control your condition then get back to me and I will provided information on more targeted antifungals for your condition.

I would only take accutane if trying topical antifungals don't work if you have an itchy condition with some dandruff (because itchiness and dandruff indicate you have malasezzia NOT ordinary acne).

Have you taken antibiotics ? Antibiotics CAUSE outbreaks of malasezzia and candida.

Thank you

I did take 2 or 3courses of antibiotics (mino, tetracycline). But it was to control the itchiness and my beard/hairacne, not the other way around. I have nothing to lose to try so I will note your suggestion.

But you're talking about fungal lesions on my beard and hair, I have face acne that has nothing to do with that I would assume

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 04/29/2019 8:04 pm

The face acne and the fungal lesions in your beard and hair and most likely caused by the same thing - malasezzia which is a fungus. Malsezzia causes lesions, acne, pimples, flaking skin, dandruff, etc.

Try applying the clotrimazle cream to your skin and clotrimazole lotion to your beard and washing your beard and hair in anti dandruff shampoo. Get back to me if that does not control your problem.

Itchiness indicates fungus, not bacteria, so very odd to be prescribed antibiotics for itchiness.

MemberMember
(@andreican)

Posted : 05/05/2019 9:43 pm

On 4/29/2019 at 9:04 PM, Aussie Scientist said:

The face acne and the fungal lesions in your beard and hair and most likely caused by the same thing - malasezzia which is a fungus. Malsezzia causes lesions, acne, pimples, flaking skin, dandruff, etc.

Try applying the clotrimazle cream to your skin and clotrimazole lotion to your beard and washing your beard and hair in anti dandruff shampoo. Get back to me if that does not control your problem.

Itchiness indicates fungus, not bacteria, so very odd to be prescribed antibiotics for itchiness.

very interesting i will get back to you...for now it doesn'titch too much

Putting clotrimazole on my acne lesions on my face skin ????

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/05/2019 11:53 pm

Yes, do this, ie, apply clotrimazole cream to the acne lesions on your face. If the clotrimazole cream does not solve the problem, use terbenafine cream (which is also an antifungal cream, which targets malasezzia fungus a bit better than clotrimazole).

Terbenafine cram is sold as Lamisil in many countries. You don't need a prescription for terbenafine cream (ie, it is OTC) in the US and Australia, but you might need a prescription for it in Canada and the UK.

In any case, try the clotrimazole cream (which IS always OTC, no prescription required). The clotrimazole cream might solve the problem, without having to use more targeted antifungals.

I am happy to hear back from you.

MemberMember
(@andreican)

Posted : 05/09/2019 5:33 pm

On 5/6/2019 at 12:53 AM, Aussie Scientist said:

Yes, do this, ie, apply clotrimazole cream to the acne lesions on your face. If the clotrimazole cream does not solve the problem, use terbenafine cream (which is also an antifungal cream, which targets malasezzia fungus a bit better than clotrimazole).

Terbenafine cram is sold as Lamisil in many countries. You don't need a prescription for terbenafine cream (ie, it is OTC) in the US and Australia, but you might need a prescription for it in Canada and the UK.

In any case, try the clotrimazole cream (which IS always OTC, no prescription required). The clotrimazole cream might solve the problem, without having to use more targeted antifungals.

I am happy to hear back from you.

me again,

I always feel my guts are weak and stomach sensible. I try to eat good (only water, very very low lactose) but I often have diarrhea etc

I know acne can be caused by weak guts or trouble there and in the digestive system/liver.

Any clues/ ideas/ help??

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/10/2019 2:04 am

Your stomach problems are possibly/probably caused by candida overgrowth in your gut. The overgrowth of candida in the gut is caused by taking antibiotics. Start taking probiotics and see if they help your gut problems. You can take oral nystatin and that will fix the problem in your gut, if it is caused by candida, which it very likely is. Oral nystatin (antifungal) is very safe. Which country do you live in ?

The diarrhea is 99% likely to be caused by the destruction of good bacteria in your gut, even if it not caused by candida (which it probably is). So take probiotics and see how you go with those. If the probiotics don't solve your gut problem, get back to me and I can provide further information. People should NOT take antibiotics except for serious (life threatening) bacterial infections. Antibiotics cause dreadful side-effects, as you are seeing.

The "acne" is very UNLIKELY to be caused by your gut problems. Instead, the gut problems AND the "acne" etc. are most likely caused by taking antibiotics.

Also apply topical antifungal to the affected areas on your skin and scalp etc. and use anti-dandruff shampoo on your scalp and beard, and elsewhere if it does not cause irritation.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/10/2019 10:05 pm

You should also get checked for "overgrowrh" of Clostridium difficule. Clostridium dificule is a bacteria, and it becomes dangerously "rampant" in one's gut from taking certain antibiotics. Clostridium difficule causes diarrhea, and an overgrowth of C. difficule is dangerous.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/c-difficile/symptoms-causes/syc-20351691

I think it most likely that your gut problems are caused by candida rather than by Clostridium difficule, but you should get checked for overgrowth of C. difficul, if you have the above symptoms.

MemberMember
(@andreican)

Posted : 05/26/2019 4:44 pm

On 5/10/2019 at 11:05 PM, Aussie Scientist said:

You should also get checked for "overgrowrh" of Clostridium difficule. Clostridium dificule is a bacteria, and it becomes dangerously "rampant" in one's gut from taking certain antibiotics. Clostridium difficule causes diarrhea, and an overgrowth of C. difficule is dangerous.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/c-difficile/symptoms-causes/syc-20351691

I think it most likely that your gut problems are caused by candida rather than by Clostridium difficule, but you should get checked for overgrowth of C. difficul, if you have the above symptoms.

ok so I bought canesten and tried applying it for 3-4 days on my forehead acne and no results

It's difficult to apply on my scalp to with the length of hair I got any suggestions? Should i go shorter

Also, so my forehead acne is not bacterial? Hormonal?

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/26/2019 8:47 pm

AndreiCan

Bacteria and fungus are too totally different types of organisms.

Clotrimazole cream does not always control malasezzia fungus, so buy some terbenafine cream (Lamisil) and apply that to ALL the areas on your face and forehead with acne. If you can get it, also apply nystatin cream (Mycostatin) along with the terbenafine cream.

Also, wash your hair and beard in an antifungal shampoo - use a shampoo with climbazole (not to be confused with clotrimazole) in it, if you can get it. If you can get it, buy Mustela Foam Shampoo for Newborns and wash your hair, beard and skin with that. This shampoo won't irritate skin.

Most other antifungal shampoos are too irritating to be used on the face (They are fine on hair and probably OK in the beard area)

Make sure you keep the areas of your skin with acne very dry and dust the affected areas of your skin with an antifungal powder at night (don't get it in your eyes).

Which areas of your face have acne ??

MemberMember
(@andreican)

Posted : 05/26/2019 9:54 pm

1 hour ago, Aussie Scientist said:

AndreiCan

Bacteria and fungus are too totally different types of organisms.

Clotrimazole cream does not always control malasezzia fungus, so buy some terbenafine cream (Lamisil) and apply that to ALL the areas on your face and forehead with acne. If you can get it, also apply nystatin cream (Mycostatin) along with the terbenafine cream.

Also, wash your hair and beard in an antifungal shampoo - use a shampoo with climbazole (not to be confused with clotrimazole) in it, if you can get it. If you can get it, buy Mustela Foam Shampoo for Newborns and wash your hair, beard and skin with that. This shampoo won't irritate skin.

Most other antifungal shampoos are too irritating to be used on the face (They are fine on hair and probably OK in the beard area)

Make sure you keep the areas of your skin with acne very dry and dust the affected areas of your skin with an antifungal powder at night (don't get it in your eyes).

Which areas of your face have acne ??

Thats alot of informations im abit lost to be honest....

Most my acne is between my eyebrows my forehead also andabit on the temples.

Abit on my back also and obviously ALOT of very itchy very very painful lesions on my scalp..

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/26/2019 10:39 pm

OK, I'll keep it simple -

1. Apply terbenafine cream (Lamisil) mixed with some clotrimazole cream (Canesten) to the areas of skin with acne, 2-3 times a day including your back (with a soft brush with a handle if no-one can apply it for you).

2. Wash your hair and beard in anti-fungal shampoo once a day. Leave the shampoo in your hair for a few minutes, if that is possible. Also, try using the antifungal shampoo on the areas with acne also (no more than once a day) - STOP doing this if these areas become irritated.

3. Also spray your hair/scalp once or twice a day with liquid terbenafine spray (Lamisil spray - it will be sold to treat "tinea/athlete's foot" or jock itch - both of which are types of fungus), if you can get it. Lamisil cream will probably also be sold to treat athlete's foot/tinea and/or jock itch - these are fungi.

3. Keep all areas very dry. Do NOT use any moisturisers.

4. The above treatments should fix your problems. If the above does not fix your problems, the buy some nystatin antifungal cream (Mycostatin or similar) and apply it together with the other antifungal creams.

Terbenafine controls malasezzia fungus and nystin controls candida fungus. Clotrimazole cream controls both types of fungus, but not usually as well as the specific antifungal for the fungus.

I suspect that you have both candida and malasezzia, from your symptoms.

You have a fungal problem, not a bacterial problem - ie, the acne, flaking skin, itchiness etc is being caused by fungus, not by bacteria. If the acne was bacterial, the mino and tera would have controlled it. Instead, the mino and tera have probably caused the fungal acne and the scalp lesions etc. (possibly after they controlled what might have started out as bacterial acne).

Antibiotics and possibly accutane cause FUNGAL outbreaks, including fungal acne, lesions etc. Fungal acne, fungal lesions are itchy and they CANNOT be controlled with antibiotics.

Let me know how you go, if you wish.

MemberMember
(@andreican)

Posted : 06/01/2019 10:07 pm

On 5/26/2019 at 11:39 PM, Aussie Scientist said:

OK, I'll keep it simple -

1. Apply terbenafine cream (Lamisil) mixed with some clotrimazole cream (Canesten) to the areas of skin with acne, 2-3 times a day including your back (with a soft brush with a handle if no-one can apply it for you).

2. Wash your hair and beard in anti-fungal shampoo once a day. Leave the shampoo in your hair for a few minutes, if that is possible. Also, try using the antifungal shampoo on the areas with acne also (no more than once a day) - STOP doing this if these areas become irritated.

3. Also spray your hair/scalp once or twice a day with liquid terbenafine spray (Lamisil spray - it will be sold to treat "tinea/athlete's foot" or jock itch - both of which are types of fungus), if you can get it. Lamisil cream will probably also be sold to treat athlete's foot/tinea and/or jock itch - these are fungi.

3. Keep all areas very dry. Do NOT use any moisturisers.

4. The above treatments should fix your problems. If the above does not fix your problems, the buy some nystatin antifungal cream (Mycostatin or similar) and apply it together with the other antifungal creams.

Terbenafine controls malasezzia fungus and nystin controls candida fungus. Clotrimazole cream controls both types of fungus, but not usually as well as the specific antifungal for the fungus.

I suspect that you have both candida and malasezzia, from your symptoms.

You have a fungal problem, not a bacterial problem - ie, the acne, flaking skin, itchiness etc is being caused by fungus, not by bacteria. If the acne was bacterial, the mino and tera would have controlled it. Instead, the mino and tera have probably caused the fungal acne and the scalp lesions etc. (possibly after they controlled what might have started out as bacterial acne).

Antibiotics and possibly accutane cause FUNGAL outbreaks, including fungal acne, lesions etc. Fungal acne, fungal lesions are itchy and they CANNOT be controlled with antibiotics.

Let me know how you go, if you wish.

I think you misread what I said...

The mino/tetra actually helped when i was on it... It cured 90% of it SO DID accutane. But as soon as i stopped the medications above... My hair/bear problems came back quickly

I tried canesten on it for the past few days... No difference in my hair...

It's so itchy and painful... There's alot of lesions.... I'm crying man I can't take it anymore

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/01/2019 10:24 pm

AndreiCan

With all due respect, I did not misread your post .

What has happened is this - you originally had ordinary acne. The antibiotics cured that BUT I DOING DO THEY CAUSED FUNGAL ACNE. THe accutane TEMPORARILY helped with the FUNGAL ACNE because accutane dries up sebum and malasezzia fungus FEEDS ON SEBUM.

But accutane can probably also encourage fungal acne, and in any case - none of the treatments that you applied were dealing with the fungus.

Thus your problem is getting worse and worse. ITCHY MEANS FUNGUS>

PLEASE WASH YOUR HAIR IN AN ANTIDANDRUFF SHAMPOO, AND APPLY LIQUID LAMISIL SPRAY TO IT 2-3 TIMES A DAY.

YOU CAN ALSO SPRAY YOUR HAIR WITH 3% PEROXIDE (WHICH WIL BLEACH YOUR HAIR A BIT) AND/OR 5% TEA TREE OR EUCALYPTIS OIL MIXED WITH WATER>

ALSO APPLY CLOTRIMAZOLE CREAM (OR LAMISIL CREAM) TO THE AFFECTED AREAS OF YOUR SKIN, PLUS 3% PEOXIDE IF YOU WISH (TRY THE PEROXIDE ON A SMALL AREA OF SKIN FIRST)

IF YOU DO THIS YOUR PROBLEMS WILL (90% LIKELY) CLEAR UP IN A FEW WEEKS, PLEASE - JUST DO IT - YOUR LIFE WILL TURN AROUND

YOU CANNOT EXPECT FUNGUS TO DIE IN ONE OR TWO DAYS>

I BEG YOU TO APPLY THE TREATMENTS THAT I HAVE SUGGESTED. THEY CANNOT DO ANY HARM AND WILL VERY LIKELY FIX YOUR PROBLEM

MemberMember
(@weronika717)

Posted : 06/02/2019 11:35 am

Hi Andrei Can,

I am on Roaccutane too and had my dose increased to 40mg. Currently feeling shitty as looking at my face in the mirror at the moment is not the best feeling but I'm hoping once I see some results my mood will improve.

Roaccutane can be responsible for your mental health. I would strongly recommend you see your doctor and advise him of this that's if you are feeling worried about it. I don't have much advice at the moment as I am only on month one and will probably be in your shoes in few months. It also looks like quite alot is happening in your life at the moment and all these stress and emotions mixed with Roaccutane results in you being overwhelmed. Also, if you do feel like it is getting worse please do not hesitate to see a doctor.

Head up it will all be over soon and it will be worth it as having acne is not fun.

MemberMember
(@andreican)

Posted : 06/02/2019 4:57 pm

5 hours ago, Weronika717 said:

Hi Andrei Can,

I am on Roaccutane too and had my dose increased to 40mg. Currently feeling shitty as looking at my face in the mirror at the moment is not the best feeling but I'm hoping once I see some results my mood will improve.

Roaccutane can be responsible for your mental health. I would strongly recommend you see your doctor and advise him of this that's if you are feeling worried about it. I don't have much advice at the moment as I am only on month one and will probably be in your shoes in few months. It also looks like quite alot is happening in your life at the moment and all these stress and emotions mixed with Roaccutane results in you being overwhelmed. Also, if you do feel like it is getting worse please do not hesitate to see a doctor.

Head up it will all be over soon and it will be worth it as having acne is not fun.

I finally had to stop the medications to...thanks for the reply

All the stresses in my life mix with accutane made me so vulnerable and down you have no idea... Got better the week after I stopped taking it...direct link between my feelings and the medications...

Pimples itchiness and feeling horrible all of this came back..back to the full acne life

So lost

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 06/02/2019 6:54 pm

Itchiness/itchy pimples means you have a fungal problem, ie,you have fungal acne NOT ordinary acne. Apply topical antifungal cream - just do it....Antifungal cream on one's skin is TOTALLY safe.

It will very likely fix your problem.