Notifications
Clear all

Anyone tried a derma roller?

MemberMember
(@lavenderhummingbird)

Posted : 04/03/2019 10:14 pm

Hi everyone! So, I have had cystic acne problems for a year or two now, and regular teen acne before that, and now my skin is finally clearing upthanks to a healthier diet and hormones leveling out.However, I've been left with both hyperpigmentation and little indented scars that I'm trying to treat now rather than later. I came across derma rollers online and since I can't afford laser treatment or other scar therapy right now, I figured it was worth a try. I ordered the Zust Beauty Derma Roller (0.3 mm) from Amazon and tried it for the first time last night. The kit also came with a Vitamin C serum to apply post-treatment.

So, I was wondering... Has anyone else here tried this? How did it turn out for you? Any warnings/tips on how to best use the roller? It's all new to me and I'm super hopeful, but I'm a little nervous using the roller while I have some current (relativelymild) acne.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 04/04/2019 9:13 am

@LavenderHummingbirdWe have a whole guide on microneedling with many pages, ... it's pinned to the top of the main scar treatments sub. Dermaroller's have lost favor because of microtearing problems to the skin(the wheel motion), ... now dermastamps are more widely used just on the issue of concern. We do use roller's on the body still.

Dermaroller's will give you a small amount of softening in well healing patients. We often find they are best if rotated with chemical peels once a month for needling and a few peels a year.

Read the FAQ, pinned at the top of the scar treatments sub, find the microneedling section, ... some good stuff in there. Sterilizing and not using products right after while the skin is open are the biggest things I can think of. If your a poor healer don't microneedle as it can cause damage in this population.

MemberMember
(@vij)

Posted : 04/05/2019 8:56 am

On 4/4/2019 at 8:44 AM, LavenderHummingbird said:

I'm a little nervous using the roller while I have some current (relativelymild) acne.

Take care not to roll on the active acne. That would result in "transplantation" of bacteria/sebum and infection to new areas.