Notifications
Clear all

Stopped Accutane 3 months ago, now dry lips are back

MemberMember
(@melissaking)

Posted : 10/29/2017 4:30 pm

I stopped a course of Accutane in Mid July, and within 3 weeks my lips were back to normal. Over the last week they have gone back to being as dry as they were on Accutane. I have not changed my skin care routine, or used anything different on my lips. I have googled this and found no one else has written about this online. I am trying to find out if this has happened to anyone else.

MemberMember
(@draci)

Posted : 10/29/2017 5:53 pm

1 hour ago, melissaking said:

I stopped a course of Accutane in Mid July, and within 3 weeks my lips were back to normal. Over the last week they have gone back to being as dry as they were on Accutane. I have not changed my skin care routine, or used anything different on my lips. I have googled this and found no one else has written about this online. I am trying to find out if this has happened to anyone else.

Hey Melissa, this happened to me too. They went back to normal and then a few months later worsened. It got worse and worse over 2 or 3 years until I developed exfoliative cheilitis. Also after the drug I developed daily nausea and chronic fatigue.

I really hope that this doesn't happen to you. Accutanes side effects can be permanent and many of them start only after the treatment. Unfortunately dermatologists deny this and people don't believe us sufferers who try to warn people on forums.

Now I assume that you are a woman. Nutritional deficiencies are common in women for various reasons, most commonly because of the period. I would suggest you get your blood tested for any deficiencies and I pray to god that that is the reason for you.

If it doesn't get better and if you experience other symptoms: feeling tired, depressed, problems concentrating or other things that seem strange to you please don't hide. Come tell us about it here: https://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/295030-repairing-the-long-term-damage-from-accutane/ We are trying to find a solution and are in contact with doctors and scientists.

But for now lets just assume that you will be fine with applying some lip balm and getting your blood checked!

MemberMember
(@melissaking)

Posted : 10/30/2017 10:38 am

I just realised I posted this in the wrong section, so if anyone could move it that would be great.

This is the only problem I have had now I am off it, and dont have any nutritional deficiencies, or have periods due to the pill I am on. Someone today suggested it could be due to the weather changing and getting much colder all of a sudden where I live, I am hoping thats it or it's back to my dermatologist, I am trying to avoid an appointment if I can help it as it is quite a trip to get to her.

I will continue with my lip balm and give it another week, thanks for the link to that thread, if I have any other problems I will have a look.