Notifications
Clear all

Acne is ruining my life

MemberMember
(@thatgirlwhohatesherfriends)

Posted : 10/29/2017 3:21 pm

Hey. This is a rant because I can't handle it anymore. Here is some background info: I was on tretinoin for about 2 months. I am currently on Doxycycline and some Benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin cream and have been on it for about a month and a half. It has done absolutely nothing for my skin. I feel absolutely hopeless and just to feel okay I have to prevent myself from looking in the mirror. I really really try not to pick at it. Usually what happens is it gets really irritated when I roll around in my sleep, which I cant really do anything about. The only good thing in my life is that I have my first dermatologist appointment in 4 days. I really just want someone to talk to.

MemberMember
(@brooke0319)

Posted : 10/29/2017 4:26 pm

I am on tretinoin right now...it took 4 months to show any improvement and I still get breakouts every now and then (they aren't nearly as bad as they used to be). My advice is to just try to stick with something and get through the initial purge. I know it's absolutely awful and easier said than done, but something will eventually begin to work.

MemberMember

Posted : 10/29/2017 7:32 pm

Thanks :). I think I might have given it another month, but my doctor told me I should probualy stop it, and she knows more than me haha. 

MemberMember
(@duperele)

Posted : 10/31/2017 9:29 am

First of all, my dermatologist told be that topical antibiotics and oral antibiotics should never be used together. I was on Epiduo and it cleared me up compleatly but not before 4 months went by! before then my skin was worst it have ever been.  Tretinoin is almost the same as epiduo (they work in the same way) epiduo contains adalpene which is very very similsar to tretioin, but epiduo also contains BP. Try to stick with it 2 months more, i am sure it will soon kick in :) 

MemberMember

Posted : 11/01/2017 7:58 pm

On 10/31/2017 at 10:29 AM, Duperele said:

First of all, my dermatologist told be that topical antibiotics and oral antibiotics should never be used together. I was on Epiduo and it cleared me up compleatly but not before 4 months went by! before then my skin was worst it have ever been.  Tretinoin is almost the same as epiduo (they work in the same way) epiduo contains adalpene which is very very similsar to tretioin, but epiduo also contains BP. Try to stick with it 2 months more, i am sure it will soon kick in :) 

Thanks. I went to my dermatologist today and she said to continue Doxycycline and my other topical cream. She also recommended me a tretinoin-like drug. It might be adalpene, I didnt really hear what she said. I just really hope Doxycycline kicks in. :) 

MemberMember
(@duperele)

Posted : 11/02/2017 1:39 am

5 hours ago, ThatGirlWhoHatesHerFriends said:
Thanks. I went to my dermatologist today and she said to continue Doxycycline and my other topical cream. She also recommended me a tretinoin-like drug. It might be adalpene, I didnt really hear what she said. I just really hope Doxycycline kicks in. :) 

Well, was using Tetracycline, and it took 2 months to really kick in,  now i am 100% free still after having stopped 2 weeks ago!
You know girl that tretinoin is an retinoid which like accutane will make you break out first before clearing you out as it's will bring all the shi#t from below to surface.
I wish you all luck :) 

MemberMember

Posted : 11/03/2017 8:33 pm

On November 2, 2017 at 2:39 AM, Duperele said:
Well, was using Tetracycline, and it took 2 months to really kick in,  now i am 100% free still after having stopped 2 weeks ago!
You know girl that tretinoin is an retinoid which like accutane will make you break out first before clearing you out as it's will bring all the shi#t from below to surface.
I wish you all luck :) 

Thank you :) 

MemberMember
(@skyesthelimit)

Posted : 11/17/2017 1:42 am

First, you've come to the right place. Tell us everything that you want here and no one will judge you. :) Stick to the ones which work for you. If they don't, don't force look for another until you find that one solution for you. Best of luck and keep your head above water. ;)

MemberMember
(@tania-crowe)

Posted : 11/17/2017 9:25 am

Like most acne medications, Retin-A takes time to work. You probably won't see any change for several weeks, and it might take a few months before you really notice a big difference in our skin.Just keep at it and try to be patient!

After your skin has cleared up, you will have to continue to use your Retin-A treatment, although less frequently, to keep breakouts from returning. This is true for nearly all acne treatments, not just Retin-A.

If you've used Retin-A consistently for several weeks and still aren't seeing improvement, your dermatologist might add another medication to your treatment routine or give you a new one to try. It's disappointing if you don't get the results you want from an acne treatment, but try not to get too discouraged. You're one step closer to finding the combination of treatments that work for you.

Your dermatologist is a great resource, so if you have any questions about your Retin-A medication or acne treatment in general, don't be afraid to ask.