Notifications
Clear all

How long do scar revision incision lines stay indented?

MemberMember
(@hollstru)

Posted : 05/13/2017 11:49 am

I had scar revision surgery done a little more than a month ago on my cheek. It is still red and indented looking. The red I can handle it's the indentation that I'm worried about. Will it eventually fill in to become level with surrounding skin? Right now it looks terrible..

[Edited image out]

MemberMember
(@tommy8)

Posted : 05/13/2017 11:59 am

Was it indented like that before the surgery? I got a revision as well but mine was crater mark, which the revision made a 90% improvement on. However, now 1 year later my redness is still there sadly. Although, your skin complextion is much lighter then mine, so it should fade. I think you can only wait and see, some days it will look better, some days even worse. Usually after 6 months, you will know how it is going to look permanently.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 05/13/2017 1:24 pm

You need to get silicone liquid for scars and clear gel silicone pads on there asap. You wear the pads at night and liquid during theday. This is what they have those who have surgery do. By waiting a month after, that's not good. The red will go away it's the indent that needed the silcone and most likely has pressure on it.

Some doctors use botox to stop all movement. If a PS did this, it might need to be redone. They normally do geometric shapes or Z pattern for stitches.

The silicone thing takes months. Please see a PS for a second opinion who specializes in scar revision.

You might try a cream with EGF - growth factors and peptides, for scars

MemberMember
(@hollstru)

Posted : 05/13/2017 5:21 pm

5 hours ago, Tommy8 said:

Was it indented like that before the surgery? I got a revision as well but mine was crater mark, which the revision made a 90% improvement on. However, now 1 year later my redness is still there sadly. Although, your skin complextion is much lighter then mine, so it should fade. I think you can only wait and see, some days it will look better, some days even worse. Usually after 6 months, you will know how it is going to look permanently.

It was a flat, hypopigmented scar prior (from a burn). There was no indentation, just the hypo color. Surgeon cut out the bottom, tail like, portion of it 

IMG_4050.PNG

3 hours ago, beautifulambition said:

You need to get silicone liquid for scars and clear gel silicone pads on there asap. You wear the pads at night and liquid during theday. This is what they have those who have surgery do. By waiting a month after, that's not good. The red will go away it's the indent that needed the silcone and most likely has pressure on it. 

Some doctors use botox to stop all movement. If a PS did this, it might need to be redone. They normally do geometric shapes or Z pattern for stitches. 

The silicone thing takes months. Please see a PS for a second opinion who specializes in scar revision. 

You might try a cream with EGF - growth factors and peptides, for scars

I've been using Biocorneium gel since week three and using the pads at night (the soonest my plastic surgeon said I could use them). The edges still feel slightly raised which could be making it look more indented and there could be done possible internal sutures lingering that could be adding to the depressed effect. PS said it's healing nicely but I'm still nervous about the indentation, looks horrible in certain lighting :/ 

MemberMember
(@dazzed)

Posted : 05/13/2017 10:08 pm

Keep doing what you are doing but it is still too early to tell what it will ultimately look like. In the first couple of months after an excision, the skin is heaped up around the incision line so it's going to look bad for a while. Once the inflammation settles down, the raised edges will flatten. I think you should also use steri-strips to prevent the excision from widening. Oftentimes, too much tension will cause the excision to widen and crater.

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 05/14/2017 3:57 am

[Edited link out]

[Edited link out]

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3901915/

MemberMember
(@hollstru)

Posted : 06/11/2017 11:02 am

This is at nine weeks, still very indented and shadowed. Im paranoid that it's going to stay this way.  PS doesn't seem concerned but itndoesnt seem to be improving.. 

IMG_6841.JPG

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 06/12/2017 8:09 am

I'd do Subcision with filler and laser, get a second opinion, please post this pic on realself.com and ask other drs advice for free. Also go see another PS for recommendations.

MemberMember
(@hollstru)

Posted : 06/12/2017 4:01 pm

7 hours ago, beautifulambition said:

I'd do Nokor Subcision with filler and laser, get a second opinion, please post this pic on realself.com and ask other drs advice for free. Also go see another PS for recommendations.

Thanks I've posted a couple times to RS and gotten mixed answers, some say it'll still fill in while others say it'll stay indented. Just wanted to see this skyline on here went through anything similar l..