Notifications
Clear all

Discovered food sensitivities caused my acne

MemberMember
(@kafree)

Posted : 11/27/2016 3:30 pm

I hope sharing my story with others may help them in some way. My journey with acne started around 25 years ago in my teens, I'm now 39. I've always had pretty clear skin on my face, just bad bacne (sometimes cystic and painful) and occasionally on chest. Made me horribly self conscious in certain clothing, at beach and god forbid, intimate with partners. Over the years, I've used oral contraceptive Diane (pretty good), taken supplements (not very disciplined, some made me break out horribly like fish oil!), had IGG testing (showed gluten and eggs), been vegan (not good), been almost Paleo (sometimes ok), so many things. I was convinced it was food and avoiding gluten and eggs helped but didn't clear completely. It was hard to pin point triggers as effect seemed to show about a week or so later, but this varied. Generally my diet is pretty good, full of whole foods, organic veggies from garden, ethically sourced meat, etc. I avoided dairy and drank soy milk for years. I ate more soy products when vegan (no longer), acne was bad then. I've been off the contraceptive pill for number of years (trying to conceive) and recently decided to stop soy milk as thought this might be affecting things in that area (not for acne purposes). Within a week, my skin had calmed significantly! I had to laugh (cry) at the irony of myself thinking I was so healthy drinking soy milk when it was giving me acne and probably contributing to infertility. I think I've narrowed it down to gluten, eggs and soy, and if I avoid these, I am pretty much clear. Sugar is bad too, although it generally accompanies the above. Small amounts of my trigger foods seem ok and I've decided not to be so strict that life becomes unmanageable (soy is in everything). This attitude has probably made it hard to pin point triggers but you also have to live andnot be obsessed, which is hard if you've ever suffered depression from acne. I acknowledge for some people, they must strictly avoid certain foods. IGG testing helped but can be very expensive (I'm in Australia and used Imupro). I would recommend elimination diet as best solution, as challenging as it can be, and you'll probably need to wait a week between each elimination to see results. Fingers crossed my approach will see results!

Coce99 and Ae1976 liked
MemberMember
(@ae1976)

Posted : 11/28/2016 11:25 pm

Thanks for sharing. Glad you found out what caused your acne. Mine was sugar. I suffered for about 20 years before I figured it out.

MemberMember
(@swolemom)

Posted : 12/16/2016 9:52 pm

What symptoms did you have other than the acne? Comapred to a food allergy where you would swell up ahve hives, itchy throat more obvious signs? Heat rash, itchy skin, digestive issues? And how long did you experiment removing a certain food that your acne started to subside?

MemberMember
(@coce99)

Posted : 12/17/2016 11:39 am

13 hours ago, swoleMom said:

What symptoms did you have other than the acne? Comapred to a food allergy where you would swell up ahve hives, itchy throat more obvious signs? Heat rash, itchy skin, digestive issues? And how long did you experiment removing a certain food that your acne started to subside?

My gluten caused breakouts were itchy and around the mouth/jawline, sometimes if i ate a lot of gluten just before bed time i would wake up with cheeks swollen.

swoleMom liked
MemberMember
(@swolemom)

Posted : 12/24/2016 3:20 pm

@Coce99Hmm interesting, i am trying to pinpoint if food sensitivities can be the cause it is so hard what to pinpoint exactly only through process of elimination, but not only is it the foods, also supplements and vitamins can be sneaky with thing such as gluten, yeast, soy, or daiy.

Coce99 liked
MemberMember
(@coce99)

Posted : 12/25/2016 6:47 pm

@swoleMomI bought some L glutamine and started supplementing. Had breakouts on my back, that i associate with dairy intake. Turns out it was contaminated and cuting it stopped the breakouts.

It takes like 3 days for me to breakout after ingesting.

Hope you find your triggers.

swoleMom liked