Notifications
Clear all

THIRD round of accutane

MemberMember
(@johnsmith21)

Posted : 10/26/2016 12:30 am

i had severe acne at 13 (severe on back, mild on face), and finally decided to take accutane at 18. It worked great, and cleared me 100%. Then about a year later I started getting mild, but persistent acne, and took tane again at 20. Same deal, mild acne (only on face) came back a year later. Now I am 22 and I am getting breakouts on my face again. My Derm is very knowledgeable and wants to put me on a third round, but use absorica this time. My first two rounds worked great, and only side effect was dryness. I felt my hair thinned a little after my second round, but I think I was just being paranoid. I think the first two rounds didn't give lasting results because I'm a big guy, used to play football. I'm a 190 pound male, and around 10% body fat. Never used steroids, naturally high test. I used 80mg a day for 6 months for both treatments. The thing is, they tend to not perscribe over 80mg day (sometimes I see 100, but that's not common). So they give a 160lb guy the same 80mg as me, a 190lb guy. So my question, what do you think about all this? I'm very worried about pushing it with this drug. Do more courses = higher chance of severe side effects? Is third time the charm for some people? I'm also 110% ever doing more then three, this is where's I draw the line. I notice a lot of sample bias on this site. People who take the drug with no problems, don't go online and say, "everything went great". Anyway, input would great

MemberMember
(@macleod)

Posted : 10/26/2016 3:51 am

You'd think after 2 cycles you'd know where you stand, but now on round 3 and you need a little input?

"sometimes i see 100, but that's not common" You hang out at that derm's office all day or something?

MemberMember
(@johnsmith21)

Posted : 10/26/2016 12:55 pm

9 hours ago, macleod said:

You'd think after 2 cycles you'd know where you stand, but now on round 3 and you need a little input?

"sometimes i see 100, but that's not common" You hang out at that derm's office all day or something?

your weird for talking shit to someone on an acne forum, get a girlfriend or something creep. And 80mg used to be the legal highest amount bud

MemberMember
(@macleod)

Posted : 10/26/2016 6:19 pm

5 hours ago, JohnSmith21 said:
14 hours ago, macleod said:

your weird for talking shit to someone on an acne forum, get a girlfriend or something creep. And 80mg used to be the legal highest amount bud

Well, at least I know you weren't lying about the football part. You're 22. And yet I'm reading words of a teen. Perhaps ones priorities aren't in order?

MemberMember
(@johnsmith21)

Posted : 10/26/2016 6:52 pm

29 minutes ago, macleod said:
Well, at least I know you weren't lying about the football part. You're 22. And yet I'm reading words of a teen. Perhaps ones priorities aren't in order?

Your trolling an acne forum and my priorities are not in order? I wanna know what people think about a third round, or if anyone has done one, and you are being a weirdo! Either say something useful or don't comment anything. "Do you hang out in derms offices all day", what kind of clown response is that?

MemberMember
(@jayetig)

Posted : 10/26/2016 8:12 pm

I was on/off multiple antibiotics for 4 years before starting my first round 2 years ago that had to get cut short after 3 months because of my liver levels. My face stayed clear for a little while but of course my acne came back. We tried more antibiotics which worked while I was on them, but my acne came back when I stopped them. After dealing with this for a while hoping I'd grow out of it, I finally convinced my dermatologist to let me try it again since it seemed to be the only thing that worked more long term. I'm finishing up my 2nd month of this round and am taking 30mg twice a day, so 60mg a day. I'm a 23 yr old female and weight around 145lbs. I'm no expert, but I don't believe going on it for a third time would do any harm, especially since it has been spread out. You seem to have a good opinion of your dermatologist and I trust mine 100%. I believe she wouldn't suggest anything that could potentially cause more harm. Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@johnsmith21)

Posted : 10/26/2016 8:34 pm

19 minutes ago, jayetig said:

I was on/off multiple antibiotics for 4 years before starting my first round 2 years ago that had to get cut short after 3 months because of my liver levels. My face stayed clear for a little while but of course my acne came back. We tried more antibiotics which worked while I was on them, but my acne came back when I stopped them. After dealing with this for a while hoping I'd grow out of it, I finally convinced my dermatologist to let me try it again since it seemed to be the only thing that worked more long term. I'm finishing up my 2nd month of this round and am taking 30mg twice a day, so 60mg a day. I'm a 23 yr old female and weight around 145lbs. I'm no expert, but I don't believe going on it for a third time would do any harm, especially since it has been spread out. You seem to have a good opinion of your dermatologist and I trust mine 100%. I believe she wouldn't suggest anything that could potentially cause more harm. Hope this helps!

Thank you for a normal response lmao. The long term side effects/rare side effects are, at about 1%. I'm just worried about pushing my luck with third course! The only sides I got on first two were dryness and joint pain. But I'm very into bodybuilding so I always have joint pain lol.

MemberMember
(@macleod)

Posted : 10/26/2016 11:47 pm

4 hours ago, JohnSmith21 said:
4 hours ago, macleod said:

Your trolling an acne forum and my priorities are not in order? I wanna know what people think about a third round, or if anyone has done one, and you are being a weirdo! Either say something useful or don't comment anything. "Do you hang out in derms offices all day", what kind of clown response is that?

I haven't even begun to troll, but I can't see why you wouldn't expect one to try, especially after reading posts of no sustenance, save for insults from someone possibly lacking in the critical thinking department in the hopes of eliciting some sort of response it can comprehend.

"I wanna know what people think about a third round, or if anyone has done one."

So, is that what you wanted to convey? Let me help edit your first post:

"Hi, I'm 22 and have been on two Accutane courses to no avail. My dermatologist (very knowledgeable) wants to try for a third, but I have some reservations (even though I don't). Has anyone out there done three courses successfully? What are your opinions? By the way, I only want positive experiences or advice supporting me in taking a third course since online forums seem a little bias and subconsciously want to even things out."

"and you are being a weirdo!"

Well, I'm not the one trying to make friends or be accepted on an acne forum. Football...Bodybuilding...really?

what kind of clown response is that?

one deserved of the original post?

The long term side effects/rare side effects are, at about 1%.

Are they now? So, what are you worried about?

MemberMember
(@johnsmith21)

Posted : 10/27/2016 9:09 am

You are easily the weirdest person I have ever come into contact with, I'm actually laughing at how strange you are lmao

MemberMember
(@johnsmith21)

Posted : 10/27/2016 9:55 am

10 hours ago, macleod said:
I haven't even begun to troll, but I can't see why you wouldn't expect one to try, especially after reading posts of no sustenance, save for insults from someone possibly lacking in the critical thinking department in the hopes of eliciting some sort of response it can comprehend.

"I wanna know what people think about a third round, or if anyone has done one."

So, is that what you wanted to convey? Let me help edit your first post:

"Hi, I'm 22 and have been on two Accutane courses to no avail. My dermatologist (very knowledgeable) wants to try for a third, but I have some reservations (even though I don't). Has anyone out there done three courses successfully? What are your opinions? By the way, I only want positive experiences or advice supporting me in taking a third course since online forums seem a little bias and subconsciously want to even things out."

"and you are being a weirdo!"

Well, I'm not the one trying to make friends or be accepted on an acne forum. Football...Bodybuilding...really?

what kind of clown response is that?

one deserved of the original post?

The long term side effects/rare side effects are, at about 1%.

Are they now? So, what are you worried about?

You really are such a weirdo. If one one said "I took a third course and it went awful" I would want to hear about their experience. You need to get a life bro

MemberMember
(@vapsigat)

Posted : 10/27/2016 5:28 pm

I was on a couple of treatments throughout my late teens and early twenties several years ago, I'm 30 now, and have been recently diagnosed with Chron disease with spondylitis. First treatment went fine as far as I know, never had bad blood results come back, my facial acne reduced significantly but eventually came back, my back was always heavily spotted so I tried another course a couple years later. Different doctors and different doses, 80 mg a day, up from 60. Finished the second fine aside from some nagging lower back pain. Unfortunately that back pain never really went away. Eventually the pain and stiffness started to get worse and my GP prescribed NSAID's for relief, and it helped to an extent for some time, but ended up making things worse as I learned. Finally was referred to a gastrologist and after a colonoscopy he was able to confirm a diagnosis. I'm 100% certain that this is the result of that last accutane course if not both of them in succession. I have no history of Chrons in my family. I was talking about this with a friend of mine who oddly enough developed Irritable Bowel after her pregnancy, turns out she had taken accutane many years ago when she was 16, apparently this drug has a history of digestive and bowel disorders that weren't known at the time when we took them. I'm hopeful though now that I have a diagnosis and in the process of litigation as the last 4 years have been quite taxing on myself and my family. For what its worth, I wouldn't of done the first course let alone the second if I could go back in time!

MemberMember
(@johnsmith21)

Posted : 10/27/2016 7:47 pm

2 hours ago, vapsigat said:

I was on a couple of treatments throughout my late teens and early twenties several years ago, I'm 30 now, and have been recently diagnosed with Chron disease with spondylitis. First treatment went fine as far as I know, never had bad blood results come back, my facial acne reduced significantly but eventually came back, my back was always heavily spotted so I tried another course a couple years later. Different doctors and different doses, 80 mg a day, up from 60. Finished the second fine aside from some nagging lower back pain. Unfortunately that back pain never really went away. Eventually the pain and stiffness started to get worse and my GP prescribed NSAID's for relief, and it helped to an extent for some time, but ended up making things worse as I learned. Finally was referred to a gastrologist and after a colonoscopy he was able to confirm a diagnosis. I'm 100% certain that this is the result of that last accutane course if not both of them in succession. I have no history of Chrons in my family. I was talking about this with a friend of mine who oddly enough developed Irritable Bowel after her pregnancy, turns out she had taken accutane many years ago when she was 16, apparently this drug has a history of digestive and bowel disorders that weren't known at the time when we took them. I'm hopeful though now that I have a diagnosis and in the process of litigation as the last 4 years have been quite taxing on myself and my family. For what its worth, I wouldn't of done the first course let alone the second if I could go back in time!

This is the type of response Im looking for, thank you. I'm sorry that you are experiencing all of this. This is definitely something to think about, I'm 50-50 at the moment

MemberMember
(@vargelkin)

Posted : 10/28/2016 4:48 am

On 27/10/2016 at 1:19 AM, macleod said:

Dude shut the fuck up, seriously, what is wrong with you? He is asking a legitimate question and you are being an absolute asshole for no reason. You definitely have issues, probably got bullied by football players.

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 10/28/2016 5:08 am

Seeing as you relapsed twice on the same dose, why not opt to go longer but on a lower dose? 20mg/day for a longer duration of time has been shown to be equally as effective in clearing acne when compared to standard dosing of 0.5-1mg/kg of bodyweight.

MemberMember
(@johnsmith21)

Posted : 10/28/2016 10:56 am

6 hours ago, vargelkin said:
On 10/26/2016 at 7:19 PM, macleod said:

Dude shut the fuck up, seriously, what is wrong with you? He is asking a legitimate question and you are being an absolute asshole for no reason. You definitely have issues, probably got bullied by football players.

Right!? Dude started coming at me for no reason lmao, he's got issues!

5 hours ago, Tretinoin said:

Seeing as you relapsed twice on the same dose, why not opt to go longer but on a lower dose? 20mg/day for a longer duration of time has been shown to be equally as effective in clearing acne when compared to standard dosing of 0.5-1mg/kg of bodyweight.

The acne has gotten significantly better after each course. My derm is suggesting it bc it is persistent, not severe. Like had I never been on accutane, and came into his office, he would not prescribe it to me. But because I've been on two courses, and don't respond to topicals, he thinks it will work. He's also said he's treated numerous people with three courses with no problems. Antibiotics only provide temporary relief, so that's not practical.

MemberMember
(@johnsmith21)

Posted : 10/28/2016 12:56 pm

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-dow-of-accutane/

an interesting finding about accutane

MemberMember
(@ctshoes)

Posted : 10/28/2016 1:25 pm

Hi, I see a lot of people doing higher doses for 6 month periods however I did a low dose for an extended time and I'm convinced that's what helped it work! I think it just keeps it in your system doing its thing? I did 20mg for 6 months then 10mg for a further 4 months and it worked amazingly. I was clear for 5 years then I had a baby 2 years ago, my hormones went crazy and it came back. I'm due to start on it again this month with no hesitation and I'll be using the same theory of lower dose extended timeframe. Hope that helps your thought process!
Good luck whatever you choose!

macleod liked
MemberMember
(@macleod)

Posted : 10/28/2016 4:09 pm

11 hours ago, vargelkin said:
On 10/26/2016 at 7:19 PM, macleod said:

No, I actually played. So I used a bit of sarcasm in my opening post, oh well. I was able to see what his intentions were from his opening paragraph and he's upset I called him out on it. He got both a positive response and a negative to his original post, and he's sitting there telling the negative poster he understands his ordeal, and is sorry, but posts a link attempting to debunk Accutane's said role in adverse effects. He's just here to troll. Plain and simple. and has already made up his mind on where he stands, like I stated before.

I get it, you feel threatened so you break out the curse words and name calling in the hopes of bringing attention to the threat. I've seen it before, even in real life. I can't tell you the amount times I've seen people try to be up to no good, run into actual trouble, panic and start shouting and raising their voices in the hopes of help from others and or the police. But we're just on a forum online. No need for the anxiety guys.

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 10/28/2016 8:13 pm

9 hours ago, JohnSmith21 said:
The acne has gotten significantly better after each course. My derm is suggesting it bc it is persistent, not severe. Like had I never been on accutane, and came into his office, he would not prescribe it to me. But because I've been on two courses, and don't respond to topicals, he thinks it will work. He's also said he's treated numerous people with three courses with no problems. Antibiotics only provide temporary relief, so that's not practical.

Yeah exactly, since its mild but persistent, lower dose would probably be more beneficial as less side effects and same results. I'm not a dermatologist though so your derm definitely knows whats the best course of action. Best of luck man, let us know how it goes!

MemberMember
(@johnsmith21)

Posted : 10/29/2016 10:43 am

18 hours ago, macleod said:
No, I actually played. So I used a bit of sarcasm in my opening post, oh well. I was able to see what his intentions were from his opening paragraph and he's upset I called him out on it. He got both a positive response and a negative to his original post, and he's sitting there telling the negative poster he understands his ordeal, and is sorry, but posts a link attempting to debunk Accutane's said role in adverse effects. He's just here to troll. Plain and simple. and has already made up his mind on where he stands, like I stated before.

I get it, you feel threatened so you break out the curse words and name calling in the hopes of bringing attention to the threat. I've seen it before, even in real life. I can't tell you the amount times I've seen people try to be up to no good, run into actual trouble, panic and start shouting and raising their voices in the hopes of help from others and or the police. But we're just on a forum online. No need for the anxiety guys.

Listen buddy you are easily the weirdest more delusional person I have ever spoken to. I'm in no way here to troll, who am I trolling? I simply want to hear about experiences with a third course. ONVIOUSLY I would rather here positive experiences, but doesn't mean I don't take negative ones into consideration.

Second. You are a joke. A loser, a creep, etc. the only thing u played in football left bench, and u were probably somehow bad at that. If I had to picture u, ur in your early thirties, no girlfriend, 3 cats, and insecure. Most of your interacting takes places online. I've used this website for maybe a couple months, and after this thread am never going use it again lmao. And please don't say "in person" lmfao ur the type of guy who wouldn't say shit in person, and if ya did people would probably lol in ur face. I can go on, but this is probablly the highlight of ur day. Enjoy ur microwaved dinner, don't forget to feed the cats, and tell your imaginary girlfriend I said what's good lmfao. And "break out the curse words"? Lol chill dweeb

MemberMember
(@johnsmith21)

Posted : 10/29/2016 11:57 am

22 hours ago, ctshoes said:

Hi, I see a lot of people doing higher doses for 6 month periods however I did a low dose for an extended time and I'm convinced that's what helped it work! I think it just keeps it in your system doing its thing? I did 20mg for 6 months then 10mg for a further 4 months and it worked amazingly. I was clear for 5 years then I had a baby 2 years ago, my hormones went crazy and it came back. I'm due to start on it again this month with no hesitation and I'll be using the same theory of lower dose extended timeframe. Hope that helps your thought process!
Good luck whatever you choose!

I know you shouldn't ask a women this, but how much do you weigh lol. I'm 190 so a low dose may not work for me

MemberMember
(@macleod)

Posted : 10/29/2016 9:34 pm

10 hours ago, JohnSmith21 said:
Listen buddy you are easily the weirdest more delusional person I have ever spoken to. I'm in no way here to troll, who am I trolling? I simply want to hear about experiences with a third course. ONVIOUSLY I would rather here positive experiences, but doesn't mean I don't take negative ones into consideration.

Second. You are a joke. A loser, a creep, etc. the only thing u played in football left bench, and u were probably somehow bad at that. If I had to picture u, ur in your early thirties, no girlfriend, 3 cats, and insecure. Most of your interacting takes places online. I've used this website for maybe a couple months, and after this thread am never going use it again lmao. And please don't say "in person" lmfao ur the type of guy who wouldn't say shit in person, and if ya did people would probably lol in ur face. I can go on, but this is probablly the highlight of ur day. Enjoy ur microwaved dinner, don't forget to feed the cats, and tell your imaginary girlfriend I said what's good lmfao. And "break out the curse words"? Lol chill dweeb

Ain't nobody worried about your stupid little ass. I'm more intrigued that an account from 2009 has decided to comment on this particular thread after 7 years of no posts. Coincidentally, advocating a low dose regime like the moderator.

MemberMember
(@johnsmith21)

Posted : 10/29/2016 9:44 pm

9 minutes ago, macleod said:
Ain't nobody worried about your stupid little ass. I'm more intrigued that an account from 2009 has decided to comment on this particular thread after 7 years of no posts. Coincidentally, advocating a low dose regime like the moderator.

You know what I'm saying is true about you though right? You know that your like 100% a hypochondriac and that you have no life as a result? You need help my dude

MemberMember
(@macleod)

Posted : 10/29/2016 9:58 pm

14 minutes ago, JohnSmith21 said:
24 minutes ago, macleod said:

You know what I'm saying is true about you though right? You know that your like 100% a hypochondriac and that you have no life as a result? You need help my dude

I know you read one of my earlier posts and learned a new word that I used (hypochondriac) and now you've used it three times in the last four posts. I know you've been on here for an hour looking for ways to troll. I think you're the delusional one who thinks 190 lbs is considered big, maybe for a 5'9" 5'10" guy. Your posts are just insults with no explanation into why you feel the way you do, you just do, so therefore it must be true. You're just a little troll man, and the more you post the more you make me think you frequent this website on a regular basis.

MemberMember
(@johnsmith21)

Posted : 10/29/2016 10:00 pm

Just now, macleod said:
I know you read one of my earlier posts and learned a new word that I used (hypochondriac) and now you've used it three times in the last four posts. I know you've been on here for an hour looking for ways to troll. I think you're the delusional one who thinks 190 lbs is considered big, maybe for a 5'9" 5'10" guy. Your posts are just insults with no explanation into why you feel the way you do, you just do, so therefore it must be true. You're just a little troll man, and the more you post the more you make me think you frequent this website.

Want me to dm you a pic bruh and you can decide