Notifications
Clear all

Acne (scars), in of help please

MemberMember
(@kevin9k9)

Posted : 10/18/2016 12:58 pm

Okay so, I started getting acne about 2 year ago and yet to be counting, i've visitted countless nurse and told me to use different creams and so on none of them has done it any better, they might not look bad in the pictures below but believe IRL they look even worse. 
I've done different research and this is probably my best chance of getting helping from experienced members

Lately it's been going alot worse and even more pimples are forming, and i'm scared they will scar so please, what can I do to prevent it from happening? Please help me

df2c1ff7708df50bd2dcb6fb14dcd66f.png 
f0c74a725f45c36d05f442c0121a5015.png

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 10/18/2016 9:55 pm

Hey man, those don't look like actual "scars". True acne scars are indentations in the skin. From the pictures I can only tell that you have discoloration, more specifically Post inflammatory erythema ( https://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/comments/1tk78i/post_inflammatory_erythema_pie/ ).

MemberMember
(@kevin9k9)

Posted : 10/19/2016 3:27 am

5 hours ago, Tretinoin said:

Hey man, those don't look like actual "scars". True acne scars are indentations in the skin. From the pictures I can only tell that you have discoloration, more specifically Post inflammatory erythema ( https://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/comments/1tk78i/post_inflammatory_erythema_pie/ ).

So I have to do laser in order to treat those? Ain't there any topical creams that can help? Thanks for the reply tho

MemberMember
(@vampirepumpkins)

Posted : 10/19/2016 3:54 am

Most post acne mark eventually fade on their own (after a long...long time) but to help them fade faster, you can use a topical vitamin c serum or gel and maybe glycolic acid. Also, use sunscreen on your face before you go out during the day because sun exposure can make post acne marks last a lot longer

If it is the type of discoloration mentioned by Tretinoin, then it looks like silicone scar sheets like Scar Away might help. I would wait until your skin calmed down a bit though. And I feel that sun screen could still help. And mixing an uncoated asprin tab with water and putting the paste on a zit can make it less red

MemberMember
(@kevin9k9)

Posted : 10/19/2016 4:46 am

50 minutes ago, VampirePumpkins said:

Most post acne mark eventually fade on their own (after a long...long time) but to help them fade faster, you can use a topical vitamin c serum or gel and maybe glycolic acid. Also, use sunscreen on your face before you go out during the day because sun exposure can make post acne marks last a lot longer

If it is the type of discoloration mentioned by Tretinoin, then it looks like silicone scar sheets like Scar Away might help. I would wait until your skin calmed down a bit though. And I feel that sun screen could still help. And mixing an uncoated asprin tab with water and putting the paste on a zit can make it less red

I live in Sweden, there hasn't been 'sun' in like a month by now, as it's turning to winter it's already getting really cold.
I've been waiting for years for them to fade but they get worse every day, and dothese vitamin c serum creams exist in drug stores? Thanks btw!

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 10/19/2016 7:05 am

You're not kidding? The sun's UV's still penetrate through cloudy weather at the same intensity. The sun's UVs causes premature aging (and skin caner), not the warmth it gives off.

HUGE misconception, you should read about it and buy yourself a good sunscreen!

tldr: sunny day = cloudy day as far as UVs go. wear sunscreen.

@thread, consider light chemical peels and or vascular lasers that targets erythema (vbeam, ipl)

Yola4 liked
MemberMember
(@yola4)

Posted : 10/19/2016 8:13 am

V-beam worked great on my post acne marks. If you don't want to go down the laser route then you could try the silicone gel sheets like the article suggested. But make sure all your acne lesions are fully healed before using something like Scar Away sheets. Obviously...because it could hinder the healing process, rip the scabs off your face, and could cause further irritation. I have to disagree with one part of the linked post, in that AHA's, glycolic peels, and Mandelic toner have all aided in the removal of red spots or PIE for me personally. And please, use sunscreen everyday regardless if the sun is "visibly" shining or not. I've gotten some of the worst sunburns ever playing soccer on cloudy winter days. This might be one of the reasons why you said that the post inflammatory erythema hasn't healed in "years."

And make sure to treat the acne before worrying about the leftover marks. Or it will just be a continuous cycle of treating new post acne marks. Maybe give the acne.org regimen a try. Good luck.

MemberMember
(@kevin9k9)

Posted : 10/19/2016 8:23 am

2 hours ago, Robertitoo said:

You're not kidding? The sun's UV's still penetrate through cloudy weather at the same intensity. The sun's UVs causes premature aging (and skin caner), not the warmth it gives off.

HUGE misconception, you should read about it and buy yourself a good sunscreen!

tldr: sunny day = cloudy day as far as UVs go. wear sunscreen.

@thread, consider light chemical peels and or vascular lasers that targets erythema (vbeam, ipl)

1 hour ago, Yola4 said:

V-beam worked great on my post acne marks. If you don't want to go down the laser route then you could try the silicone gel sheets like the article suggested. But make sure all your acne lesions are fully healed before using something like Scar Away sheets. Obviously...because it could hinder the healing process, rip the scabs off your face, and could cause further irritation. I have to disagree with one part of the linked post, in that AHA's, glycolic peels, and Mandelic toner have all aided in the removal of red spots or PIE for me personally. And please, use sunscreen everyday regardless if the sun is "visibly" shining or not. I've gotten some of the worst sunburns ever playing soccer on cloudy winter days. This might be one of the reasons why you said that the post inflammatory erythema hasn't healed in "years."

And make sure to treat the acne before worrying about the leftover marks. Or it will just be a continuous cycle of treating new post acne marks. Maybe give the acne.org regimen a try. Good luck.

What sunscreen do I even use during winter when it's really cold? I might gie acne regiment a try but is there any topical cream in a drugstore that you recommend will heal my acne quicker?
Although, I wear sunscreen during summer, just no when it's cold etc, but thanks for letting me know!

Edit: Also, what topical has vitamin c serum?

MemberMember
(@brokenporecelain)

Posted : 10/20/2016 6:50 pm

Wait..that looks like active acne, the bumps as well..you need to take care of that as soon as possible..don't wait any longer..THATS how you prevent scars..my suggestion is to get on ACCUTANE and pronto..creams won't do anything but aggravate the problem in a lot of cases..also don't get laser..especially if you've got active acne.. Even people who are just trying to improve upon near perfection have been damaged by lasers..visit the IPLaser damage support forum before you venture into that territory..I'm a member now because of the use of retin a (retin a damages are also spoken about on there)..I had near perfect skin before I put that crap on my face..and My previous great skin, well ACCUTANE 4 years ago was a big part of that...
also dont pick!!
dont go in the sun!!
eat healthy..specifically lots of veg and low Mercury fish, sweet potatoes, and drink TONS of water.
Exercise regularly and don't sit in your sweat..
dont over wash either..be GENTLE..both manually and with product ingredients

I dont know what the hell is going on with my skin now because of unnecessary retinoid use..BUT I can tell you I had cYSTS while on accutane and didn't scar from a single one of them by doing what I stated above.
I didn't even use moisturizer while on the accutane..I would put Neosporin and ichathomol ointment on the cysts tho..and occasionally VERY LIGHTLY ice them for a few minutes..so maybe that helped..I was also deathly afraid of scarring..I used to cry in fear but I was fine in the end..more than fine..my skin was complimentedeverywhere I went..to an unnatural degree..it actually made me kind of paranoid that there must be nothing else good about me for these people to compliment..but now I realize my skin was just really that great..I believe yours can be too if accutane is still one of your unused options.

MemberMember
(@kevin9k9)

Posted : 10/22/2016 12:13 pm

On 2016-10-21 at 1:50 AM, BrokenPorEcelain said:

Wait..that looks like active acne, the bumps as well..you need to take care of that as soon as possible..don't wait any longer..THATS how you prevent scars..my suggestion is to get on ACCUTANE and pronto..creams won't do anything but aggravate the problem in a lot of cases..also don't get laser..especially if you've got active acne.. Even people who are just trying to improve upon near perfection have been damaged by lasers..visit the IPLaser damage support forum before you venture into that territory..I'm a member now because of the use of retin a (retin a damages are also spoken about on there)..I had near perfect skin before I put that crap on my face..and My previous great skin, well ACCUTANE 4 years ago was a big part of that...
also dont pick!!
dont go in the sun!!
eat healthy..specifically lots of veg and low Mercury fish, sweet potatoes, and drink TONS of water.
Exercise regularly and don't sit in your sweat..
dont over wash either..be GENTLE..both manually and with product ingredients

I dont know what the hell is going on with my skin now because of unnecessary retinoid use..BUT I can tell you I had cYSTS while on accutane and didn't scar from a single one of them by doing what I stated above.
I didn't even use moisturizer while on the accutane..I would put Neosporin and ichathomol ointment on the cysts tho..and occasionally VERY LIGHTLY ice them for a few minutes..so maybe that helped..I was also deathly afraid of scarring..I used to cry in fear but I was fine in the end..more than fine..my skin was complimentedeverywhere I went..to an unnatural degree..it actually made me kind of paranoid that there must be nothing else good about me for these people to compliment..but now I realize my skin was just really that great..I believe yours can be too if accutane is still one of your unused options.

I feel you so bad because i'm also terrified of scaring so bad, but what is accutane? I've heard if so many times

MemberMember
(@brokenporecelain)

Posted : 10/22/2016 5:40 pm

5 hours ago, Kevin9k9 said:
I feel you so bad because i'm also terrified of scaring so bad, but what is accutane? I've heard if so many times

Whoa, you really don't know what accutane is?
Okay, well basically it's a very very high dose of vitamin A that you take orally for (usually) 6 months.
There are different doses..I personally was on 40 (or 60..can't remember)
You need to go to a dermatologist and request it, be pushy..because I've seen people with even the WORST cases of acne never have accutane suggested to them.
I had to press my derm to get on it and it was worth it.
You have to get bloodwork (initially and every month while on the pills) and take this pledge.
Your liver panel has to be checked as well as your cholesterol and triglycerides and such. IFthey raise too much, you will be taken off it prematurely.
I actually had to completely change my diet and lifestyle to EVEN GET ON IT in the first place because my bloodwork was awful for my initial bloodtest.
I may have just undone all the GOOD that accutane did and all the Effort on my part with this reaction I'm having to tazorac right now..BUT if I didn't put that stuff on my face, I would still be about 4 years post accutane with fantastic skin.
You can be too if you take initiative and don't do anything risky while on the drug. Not even remotely.
Some people DO report adverse reactions while on it and after using it tho..I had none, but I'm still inclined to believe them since I also had an adverse reaction to a retinoid that was what most consider harmless and a "miracle cream"..everyone IS different I guess.
I think it's still worth it.
The accuatne that is.

Also..it's expensive..something like $300 for each prescription.
I hope you have insurance or are on someone else's plan.

Please don't put it off any longer tho..especially if you don't want scars
i really hope you can get on it and it reconfigures your skin so you can be happy, clear, and scarless!!

MemberMember
(@kevin9k9)

Posted : 10/23/2016 1:28 pm

19 hours ago, BrokenPorEcelain said:
Whoa, you really don't know what accutane is?
Okay, well basically it's a very very high dose of vitamin A that you take orally for (usually) 6 months.
There are different doses..I personally was on 40 (or 60..can't remember)
You need to go to a dermatologist and request it, be pushy..because I've seen people with even the WORST cases of acne never have accutane suggested to them.
I had to press my derm to get on it and it was worth it.
You have to get bloodwork (initially and every month while on the pills) and take this pledge.
Your liver panel has to be checked as well as your cholesterol and triglycerides and such. IFthey raise too much, you will be taken off it prematurely.
I actually had to completely change my diet and lifestyle to EVEN GET ON IT in the first place because my bloodwork was awful for my initial bloodtest.
I may have just undone all the GOOD that accutane did and all the Effort on my part with this reaction I'm having to tazorac right now..BUT if I didn't put that stuff on my face, I would still be about 4 years post accutane with fantastic skin.
You can be too if you take initiative and don't do anything risky while on the drug. Not even remotely.
Some people DO report adverse reactions while on it and after using it tho..I had none, but I'm still inclined to believe them since I also had an adverse reaction to a retinoid that was what most consider harmless and a "miracle cream"..everyone IS different I guess.
I think it's still worth it.
The accuatne that is.

Also..it's expensive..something like $300 for each prescription.
I hope you have insurance or are on someone else's plan.

Please don't put it off any longer tho..especially if you don't want scars
i really hope you can get on it and it reconfigures your skin so you can be happy, clear, and scarless!!

Thank you so much for the explaination, really appreciated!

MemberMember
(@brokenporecelain)

Posted : 10/23/2016 2:26 pm

57 minutes ago, Kevin9k9 said:
Thank you so much for the explaination, really appreciated!

No problem!