Notifications
Clear all

My Acne Story

MemberMember
(@asianheaux)

Posted : 09/06/2016 1:19 pm

So, I'm 18 years old and I have been struggling with acne for about 10 years. I know it's weird to think about a 4th grader having acne, but that's the earliest I remember having it because a kid in my class had called me "pimple face". This isn't really a post to tell you guys how I cured my acne, because I still struggle with it to this day and I still have acne. I guess what I want to say is just that I truly understand the struggle and that you're not alone.

To begin with, you should know that I've always dealt with extremely oily skin/hair. I had/have severe acne, which I don't think was cystic, but I had pimples covering every spot on my skin. I had acne all over my face, my chest, my back, and even a few on my upper arms. When I was in 4th-5th grade (when my acne started on my forehead), my parents allowed me to try Proactiv. I now believe that that really wasn't a good idea because I feel that Proactiv progressively made my skin worse. After that, I remember trying countless drugstore face washes, creams, etc. Over the years I have gone to the doctor/dermatologist so many times and have gotten 21 different prescriptions, but none cleared up my skin. The prescriptions I've taken/tried are as followed:

1. Differin 0.1% (prescribed to me 3x)
  2. Clindamycin Phosphate 1% (prescribed to me 3x)
  3. Minocycline100mg
  4. Retin-A 0.025%
  5. Tetracycline 250mg
  6. Amoxicillin 500mg
  7. Benzamycin 3-5%
  8. Vibramycin 50mg
  9. Accutane 40mg (went on two courses)
  10. Differin 0.3% (prescribed to me 3x)
  11. Adoxa 50mg
  12. Avidoxy 100mg
  13. Benzoyl Peroxide 5%
  14. Spironolactone 50mg

Keep in mind that these are just things I received from the doctor. I tried SO many things.

Accutane was the only thing that cleared my skin twice, but my acne/oily skin came back in less than 3 months after both courses. It's a lot to go through as a teenager, and I know I probably shouldn't have taken so many medications because "almost everyone gets acne in their teenage years", but mine was so bad. I literally was the only one in my high school class that had extremely greasy bumpy skin while everyone else around me had smooth normal skin with the occasional 1-2 pimples. I can't even tell you how many times I've had people ask me if I washed my face correctly or if I wanted to try something that "helped their friend". It had affected my self-esteem so much. At one point in my life, I refused to look into mirrors because I didn't want to look at my acne. I also avoided certain clothes because I had so much acne on my back. I can't even tell you how many times in my life that I have broken down and cried for hours because of my skin condition.

After my second course of Accutane (which ended earlier this year), my oily skin and my acne started to return. I did some more research and found out about Spironolactone. I went to see an endocrinologist to get my hormones tested. And while I did not have any hormonal imbalances or adrenal/thyroid problems, she wanted me to try it. And to be honest with you, one week on Spironolactone was worse than any side effects I ever got from Accutane both rounds. I drink about 1-2 liters of water a day, but within 9 days on Spironolactone my skin dried up so bad (it flaked whenever I washed it). In addition, the edges of my lips cracked no matter how much Aquaphor I put on it. I was only on Spiro for 9 days until I stopped it. (As of today I've been off Spiro for 3 days) I hated the side effects it gave me, and I worried that in the future if it did end up working my body would depend on it and I would always get acne again if I ceased to use it.

So I guess that brings me to today. I have just decided to try and take care of my skin naturally and wait for my acne to go away with age. I wash my face twice a day, then I use Benton BHA toner, spot treat using tea tree oil, and last Benton Aloe Gel for moisturizer. I currently switch back and forth between Mask of Magnaminty from LUSH and a moisturizing face mask. My acne, I assume, is purely genetic. While my mom never had bad acne, she had the occasional big pimple here and there when she was younger. My dad on the other hand, suffered with bad face/back acne just like me. He tells me that his cleared up by the time he was 21-22. Although he still has oily skin today, he doesnt get acne anymore. Frankly, Im so sick and tired of depending on medication to solve my acne when I know deep down that it might not even work. Im slowly growing out of my teenage years and am starting college in 9 days. Hopefully, I learn to love myself more, accept that pimples are cute and pink, and they finally leave me somewhere soon down the road.

MemberMember
(@changchang)

Posted : 09/10/2016 3:36 am

You are on the good way, learn to love yourself, and don't care about what other people say !! Good luck