Notifications
Clear all

20 mg accutane too little?

MemberMember
(@aet)

Posted : 04/08/2016 11:22 am

Hello everybody, I've been recently prescribed claravis ( isotretinoin ) 20mg a month ago and I was wondering if this dosage is sufficient enough for my bodyweight? I am 5'11" and weigh around 195 lbs or 88kg. I have brought this topic up with my derm recently and he has stated that he usually prescribes up to 40mg for most of his patients on accutane and that the dosage was not dependent on an individual's bodyweight. I was prescribed 20mg yesterday and quite frankly I am a little frustrated. I was expecting to be put on at least 60mg. I know one month is a very short time to expect improvement but I don't want to drag my treatment out longer than it needs to be. P.s. no side effects at all currently

MemberMember
(@acnehardcase)

Posted : 04/09/2016 8:47 pm

If you're not getting dry lips than it's not doing much good. Make sure that you take it with a meal with 50 grams of dietary fat. If you want to convince your dermatologist, you could bring him a copy of an nih study about cumulative dose. That might convince him.

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 04/10/2016 9:49 am

I  know how you feel - I was expecting to be started off on 40mg (at least) considering my height and weight, but got put on 20mg for my first month. And then my derm appointment was delayed so it's actually less than 20mg per day with the extra days.
However, I have actually seen noticeable improvements even at this low dose, so it can still do something! Hoping to be bumped up at my next visit in a couple of days.
Did your derm say you'd be a 20mg the whole time? Or can you increase as you go? If you can get bumped up later then I wouldn't worry too much about starting low :)

MemberMember
(@aet)

Posted : 04/15/2016 6:08 pm

Thanks for the response guys. Im seeing my dermatologist in 3 weeks so I'll see how that goes. ( i might have to pull the cumulative dosage studies).As for my skin, I've noticed that oil production has decreased significantly,( I no longer wake up with an extremely oily face). Other than that, ive never really noticed if my lips were dry or not as they always have been even before the treatment. I definitely am going through an initial breakout currently and hope it gets better by the end of week 8.