Notifications
Clear all

Prone To Anxiety, Should I Take Accutane? Very Scared

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 07/29/2015 3:13 pm

hey guys I was over the moon that my doc allowed me to go on Accutane in three months time, but I am terrified reading these logs about it. I am very prone to anxiety and worry, I fear Accutane will turn me crazy.

MemberMember
(@ihateusernamesx)

Posted : 07/29/2015 3:51 pm

Hiya,

Please tell your dermatologist when you go to your appointment. It's not 100% certain it will make things worse. I have depression and anxiety and it made mine no worse at all. But there is a chance it could. Your dermatologist will help you sort something out!

MemberMember
(@someonegood12)

Posted : 07/29/2015 10:23 pm

Ya, for me personally I don't feel too much different. I think I'm more irritatable possibly because I get pissed when I drive more than usual lol, but I think some of the hype is because a politicians son killed himself and I believe he was prescribed but not even taking accutane. Also a lot of people who have acne serious enough to take accutane are already sad because they have bad acne. I have also read that accutane can lower your serotonin levels, but your doctor would know best. I don't want to talk out of my ass too much but you could do a few google searches and see some medical reports about it.

MemberMember
(@chris1337)

Posted : 07/30/2015 5:17 am

You've got a few months to think about it. Do some research and talk to your dermatologist. Don't get too caught up into reading the negative side effects. Advil even has some scary sounding side effects if you read about them and no body thinks twice before taking it. This website seems like a scary place full of negative experiences with Accutane. Thats mainly because the people that it cured no longer stick around. Thats why it has a 4/5 star but all you read here are negative experiences. No need to rush into it, you can give other prescriptions and birth control a shot before jumping right into it. That may be all you need. Goodluck!

I was a little worried to, you can't help but be. Just on this first couple pages I have read that Accutane will make your hair fall out, your eyes turn blue, your penis shrink and everything in between. So far I have only experience dry skin that has been clearing up more every day.

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 07/30/2015 3:34 pm

it has changed some people's eye color? God my eye color is like my only cosmetic advantage haha. Shitt.

MemberMember
(@chris1337)

Posted : 07/30/2015 8:51 pm

I feel ya. I've got nice hair, blue eyes and nice teeth going for me. I've read your hair will fall out, your teeth will turn yellow, and the whites of your eyes will turn blue. Guess were screwed Had first bloodtest today. All is good, onto second month. See what it brings!

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 07/31/2015 2:10 am

I'm having my first blood test today. They didn't tell me whether to fast or not so I just fasted since 12am last night. Oh well. How is Accutane going for you :) xx whats your dosage

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 07/31/2015 5:31 am

In all honesty, I think if you expect the side effects, you'll get them. I'm on my 6th month and only suffered from dryness.

I was also severely depressed before I started, but have actually seen a massive decrease in my depression and anxiety since being on accutane, maybe because my skin looks better.

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 07/31/2015 4:12 pm

was your anxiety due to your skin though in the first place or were you generally a very anxious person? x

MemberMember
(@chris1337)

Posted : 07/31/2015 5:32 pm

Its going very well. A month in at 80mgs, my first blood test was perfect. The first week was crazy while my body adapted but after the 2 week i've only been experiencing dryness and I have been clearing up nicely.

I'm having my first blood test today. They didn't tell me whether to fast or not so I just fasted since 12am last night. Oh well. How is Accutane going for you :) xx whats your dosage

MemberMember
(@someonegood12)

Posted : 07/31/2015 11:37 pm

Its going very well. A month in at 80mgs, my first blood test was perfect. The first week was crazy while my body adapted but after the 2 week i've only been experiencing dryness and I have been clearing up nicely.

Ya definitely felt the effects of it the most the first two weeks

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 08/01/2015 12:54 am

what initial effects were they? Did you get an initial breakout?

I really appreciate everyone's tips and support xx

MemberMember
(@chris1337)

Posted : 08/01/2015 4:50 am

what initial effects were they? Did you get an initial breakout?

I really appreciate everyone's tips and support xx

I feel my effects were a little extreme. My dermatologist said it was one of the most extreme reactions she had seen. I started right off on 80mgs so I think instead of easing into it i just got hit with everything right away. I peeled bad 3 days in, broke out a bit the next 2 weeks. Not terrible though, ive been much much worse before. Mainly around the sides of my mouth which kept tearing open.

If you dare take a look at my log. The first pic is 3 days in. As you can see by my last picture I survived and have been clearing up pretty well!