Notifications
Clear all

Solution-Less Redness With Acne! (Proactiv, Opinions On Epiduo)

MemberMember
(@ggonzaga)

Posted : 07/07/2015 6:52 am

Hey guys, I've been having problems with acne since sometime in 2013. I was in around 7th grade, and I tried several products that never helped me. On the summer of 2014 was when I got more noticeable redness on my cheeks, forehead, nose, and chin. I have tried several products, such as:

Effaclar

Neutrogena Stubborn Acne

Dead Sea masks

Clean&Clear

Minancora (foreign topic product for acne, etc)

Rosacea treatment

etc.

Most did not work at all, none worked 100% but some did do some work.

I can't do much as for the redness, which is what really calls attention to my skin condition. If I had actual whiteheads that covered that entire region, I could put salicylic acid on it, or even pop it if the conditions let me, however the redness has no solution except for icing it, which is very annoying and has very short term results. I do take long, hot showers but I am working on it to make it colder and shorter, as it's a habit that's hard to break.

I chose the Rapid Clear/Neutrogena Stubborn Acne treatment because it had 10% benzoyl peroxide in it, so I thought that due to its strength it would help me clear up my skin. However, it did not and for some reason I continued using it and I think it irritated my skin a lot. I then found out I was supposed to rinse in cold water, which I did. Results after that with it were minimal, if any. So no, I do NOT have stubborn acne, as far as I'm concerned.

I also used some kind of Rosacea treatment which I can't remember which one it was, however I do not know if I do have Rosacea, as the redness terms are similar to the symptoms of it. So I gave it a try and it did work, but I stopped using it because I was not sure if I really had rosacea. I have a picture, can you tell if this is rosacea?

So, after all that, I finally decided to go with what my friends would suggest me and others would bully me with: Proactiv. I ordered the original one, 3-step kit. It came as well with a 6% sulfur mask and a tea tree oil moisturizer as a free bonus. On the first week, it was kind of on the path you'd expect these regimens to be on the first week. So I was excited and motivated. But I was off to a 1 month trip, and for a week or a little more so I was very unorganized with the regimen because of the travel factors (hurry, jet lag, etc). So, instead of using it 2x a day, I'd use it maybe once or I'd skip it. Maybe sometimes I wouldn't be able to rinse with warm water like the Proactiv instructions ask me to do, so I'd rinse with cold water. But now, with 12 days left on the trip, I am organized now and I'm able to fulfill the regimen's needs.

Anyway, because of that week of issues, I lost some of my motivation and I broke out in the left side of my face, above my jaw line. I never saw that happen to me before, so I thought it was really weird and I concluded myself it was because of me not using Proactiv properly. Is that true? I recently got a huge pimple in my left nostril, and a few days later after popping it (can't put anything in my nostril as treatment) I got another one in my right nostril, which was at first a small irritation which went by unnoticed at the time of my first nostril acne. lol.

I recently went to my pediatrician for a normal check-up and he prescribed me Epiduo - he told me to use it once at night daily and only use Proactiv in the mornings. He isn't familiarized with Proactiv as we are foreigners. Now that I have the Proactiv regimen right, I don't want anything else to interfere. Plus, I've heard that Epiduo worsens the acne before it makes it better, which is the last thing I want. I don't want to go back to school with acne worse than I ended school with. I have a little less than two months. Can I get cleared in this time frame and how?

I'm 14 years old, and I am going to be 15 in around 7 more months. I've had this since late 2013, when I was 12, almost 13.

Is this normal?

What kind of acne do I have (see pic)?

Am I treating it right?

What are my options?

Is Proactiv going to work for me?

Thank you SO MUCH for reading all this through!!

post-477817-0-61830000-1436269882.jpg

MemberMember
(@ggonzaga)

Posted : 07/08/2015 9:47 am

Is this normal? Yes

What kind of acne do I have (see pic)? Lightmoderate acne
Am I treating it right? Most likely not
What are my options? Acne.org regimen
Is Proactiv going to work for me? Not unless you're a paid TV-celebrity

Seriously, don't mess around with these products. I had severe acne, and the Acne.org regimen cleared my skin within a few months. It would be much easier for you, considering your lightmoderate acne. Please ask questions about the Acne.org regimen if you have any/decide to embark on it; I'll help you.

Thanks, really. Should I stay away of Epiduo? I don't want to try it because it seems really strong and worsens the condition before it helps me at all. I don't have the motivation or patience to stay on Epiduo, and if I did start it and then quit using it in the middle it would just take longer. My doc told me to do it and I have the prescription lying around somewhere, but I don't think I'm getting it. What do you think?

I have seen some improvement with Proactiv, and originally I did want to get the Acne.org regimen but it wouldn't ship quick enough. As soon as I get back in the US, I'll get the Acne.Org Regimen.

How often do you have to use it?

Does the condition worsen in the beginning or is the acne getting better from day 1?

What does the kit contain?

MemberMember
(@ggonzaga)

Posted : 07/12/2015 10:39 pm

Epiduo gel gets good reviews, so I'm not sure. You can use drugstore products to do the regimen, so you don't need to wait until you get back in the US to start it. Epiduo does contain benzoyl peroxide, so if that's the only BP you can get, I'd use it. Otherwise, a 2.5% BP gel/cream would be better.

I use it twice daily, morning and night, 1012 hours apart from each application. In the beginning my acne didn't worsen, but my skin did. It became red, irritated, itchy, etc., but that's normal with any acne medication. Since you've been using Epiduo (which contains BP), your skin might already be somewhat accustomed to it.

You can view all the kits here.

thanks for the reply. I never tried Epiduo, I think you got that part confused. down here at least,, it's prescribed so my doctor gave me a prescription but I never used it. I'm afraid of the worsening so I don't know if I should get it or just stay with Prosctiv for now and go for Acne.Org later on.

The acne treatments here aren't good and they usually have different substances that go along with BP as main ingredients. So until I'm back (1 week), I'll keep proactiv as it does relatively work, and it'll do the trick for now.

thanks also for the link. I will definitely check it out.