Notifications
Clear all

Sharing My Experience On Accutane

MemberMember
(@griff99)

Posted : 02/24/2015 11:03 am

I'll start off by saying im a long time lurker but I promised myself I would post my accutane experience for others to see once I was through with it.

Im a 21 year old male and i had moderate, very persistent acne. I would always have at least two big cysts on my cheeks, and this was while I was on other medications. I used differin, clindoxyl, and was on minocycline and doxycycline for over 2 years. It kept my acne under control, but it was always a temporary solution and I was never clear just had manageable acne.

After being sick of being on antibiotics I weaned myself off hoping the acne would remain manageable, but it came back pretty bad. This is when I decided I would go on Accutane.

I was always very resistent to Accutane, and refused it from my derm for probably 4 years straight. I had heard all the stories of how horrible it was but decided it was worth it.

I started on 40 mg for 2 months (I weigh 160lbs), and then did 80 mg for 5.5 months (ill explain why shortly). I experienced dry lips, and a bit of dry skin but it was a small price to pay. Everyone claimed it was the worst months ever but for me it wasnt very bad at all. I did have an initial breakout but again I knew the long term goal. My cheeks cleared up by month 3 or 4 but even at the end of month 6 my forehead didnt clear so my derm kept me on for another 2 months. He told me I can stop whenever but he recommends I finish the extra 2 months. I began to clear right after I saw him but did an extra month and a half just because.

I am now completely clear and it is a huge weight off my shoulders. I have always been relatively good looking, so girls always liked me, but this is the first time I truly like myself. I am happy when I look in the mirror and dont have to wake up scared to see pimples.

If my acne came back in a few years i still would have no regrets.

The most difficult thing for me was not drinking during my course. I must admit I did drink sometimes but I drank in moderation. Being Canadian its typical for some of us to start partying at 15 so to stop all of the sudden was difficult but worth it.

Anyone who is scared of accutane take my experience into consideration. I was scared too, I know there are risks involved but dont allow people to be fear mongers and blow them out of proportion. There are legitimate risks with this medication, but many people have a very positive experience like myself. I always think of it as there are probably a million people on tane, some of those people will have issues whether it is related to tane or not.

Feel free to ask me anything. I feel I owe it to this community to try and give a clear picture of my experience.

Thanks guys.

MemberMember
(@kay789)

Posted : 02/24/2015 12:53 pm

Have you experienced any long term side effects from your accutane course? i.e. - Did any side effects continue after you stopped taking accutane?

MemberMember
(@griff99)

Posted : 02/24/2015 1:02 pm

Have you experienced any long term side effects from your accutane course? i.e. - Did any side effects continue after you stopped taking accutane?

Nope, my dryness went away after a couple weeks post tane. Also my liver tests were fine throughout.