Notifications
Clear all

My Experience On Accutane

MemberMember
(@blueeagle)

Posted : 02/24/2015 10:48 am

Hi all,

I've been on tane for the last month, 20mg/day. I've had acne the last 4 years (I'm now 23) and even if it wasn't bad, it bothered me. Especially during that time of the month or whenever I was stressed, I had these terrible, itchy pimples appearing within a few hours and they left my face with several red marks which take a long time to fade.

Now, I've researched tane a lot before I actually tried it and tbh I was a bit scared after reading about the IB, the extremely dry lips and face and all the other standard side effects.

I hope I won't be disappointed soon, but to my surprise, I had no IB. My face and lips are not dry at all (only the lips here and there, but it's also really cold these days). At first I thought that my dose wasn't high enough. However, I had only two new pimples in the whole month, whereas before I'd get those every week. The tiny clogged pores who eventually used to become pimples and were really hard to clear, are now really really easy to clear. My red marks look like they faded a bit and my skin looks lighter and brighter.

What kind of sorcery is this? Is it too soon? Can I still get the IB one month in and after these awesome results?

Anyone else here who had the same or similar experience?

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 02/24/2015 1:13 pm

Well 20mg is pretty low dose so it may take longer to get a IB. But it doesnt sound like you had very bad acne before anyway so you may escape without having one. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@ac98)

Posted : 02/24/2015 2:10 pm

Im on week 9 and for the first 4 weeks I was on 20mg and now I am on 50mg . I would say I got my initial breakout around week 5 and I still am breaking out :(

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 02/24/2015 3:40 pm

I hate to also be the bearer of bad news

BUT I started on tane in Nov

I started on 20mg for the first 2 weeks my skin was GLORIOUS...smooth...pores shrunk, oil reduced

I was only on 20mg for the first 2 weeks scared of the IB..i bumped to 40mg and 2-3 weeks after increasing my dose (so about 4-5 weeks into treatment I had my IB..and have had about 3 bad episodes since )

I often wondered if i stayed on the 20g if it would have happened..I know many people who stayed on low dose tane that did not have an IB or it had nothing to do with tane and was just my time

GL

do u plan to increase dose?

kim

MemberMember
(@lolak16)

Posted : 02/24/2015 7:02 pm

I had a pretty similar experience - my skin cleared up really well in just a few days - the amount of spots I had halved within a week, although it was a couple of months before everything cleared up completely. But I had no IB at all, and my acne was moderate pre-tane.

So I guess you're one of the lucky ones!

MemberMember
(@blueeagle)

Posted : 02/26/2015 12:29 am

Thanks for the replies. Thing is, since I'm now happy with my results, I hesitate to up the dose just to get the drying out effect, in case i break out

MemberMember
(@blueeagle)

Posted : 02/26/2015 1:58 am

Also I'd like to add, since I had perfectly clear skin through my teen years, when acne appeared I got into the habit of squeezing every single pimple. Some left marks, some didn't. Now on accutane, all the pimples and comedones I gently squeezed leave just a some redness which disappears within 2-3 days with no marks whatsoever.

MemberMember
(@ac98)

Posted : 02/27/2015 6:20 pm

I think you have to keep going with your treatment for as long as your derm says cause as Kim said above sometimes people tend not to breakout on the lower dose but you do have to keep going with the treatment to get the full, long lasting effects of the tane :)